Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
No but these people wont remember that, a PL winning team hitting 99 points, without their 2 best players struggling to get top 4?

Apparently according to the poster, Liverpool didnt change their style, were amazing, pressing well playing well but they lost games.

Thats with just a few CB injuries, let alone having no backup ST, CDM's injured and no LB.

Its almost as if, managers dont need their best players to win titles, Arsenal fell off last season because their 1 CB got injured, yet we have fans who think Injuries make no difference.
You have to recognise the level that Liverpool played at prior to that season gave Klopp huge credit in the bank. The previous season they won the FA Cup, League Cup, made the CL final and 90+ points in the PL. The amount of credit built up for Klopp allows for one bad season with no questions asked. That same privilege shouldn't and won't apply to everyone. Last season was a decent first season for ETH but it shouldn't mean than injuries mean he gets a bye for the season.

The same would apply to Pep if they finish 4th next season.

Ole might have been ahead of his time :wenger:

but in all seriousness, I do agree with the sentiment about league position being more reflective of where you are as a team

Hard to do that when you are on the treatment bench week after week! And we know already this squad has a very fragile mentality. That’s precisely why winning cups is important to build them up.
You might not want to look at what happened in the league fixture right after we won the league cup.

Sky sports just said they have a “developing story” about Southgate and the links to Utd coming up shortly. I’m scared.

It’s worrying how many fans want Ten Hag to stay based on the emotion of winning the FA Cup.

If he gets sacked and England win the Euros they’ll all want Southgate.

They've tied themselves in knots, it's quite fun to watch.

I can understand fans being frustrated and disappointed about the season we've just had. I really can. But the arguments are just getting silly.

It's fine to think that all the problems the manager has had to deal with don't excuse the performances and results. I happen to think they do, just. But taking an argument to the extreme to make it sound stupid is such a pathetic way to make your point. We're all on the same side here.

I can understand fans being frustrated and disappointed about the season we've just had. I really can. But the arguments are just getting silly.

It's fine to think that all the problems the manager has had to deal with don't excuse the performances and results. I happen to think they do, just. But taking an argument to the extreme to make it sound stupid is such a pathetic way to make your point. We're all on the same side here.
Well said.

The dross we played for the majority of this season is too bad to ignore. The FA cup win was lovely and the happiest I’ve felt as a fan for a long while but I’m not sure I can take another season of chaotic football and treating the ball like hot potato

The injuries defense is taken way too far by ten Hag's apologists. We lost Martinez and Shaw for what was in reality the entire season and those are two huge misses, but the argument cannot be that without Martinez and Shaw there was no chance we could have played proper football even once.

The one result that has everyone buzzing, the win over City in the FA Cup, we say deep and hit on the counter, even with Martinez. We were nowhere close to being able to control the football for more than a few seconds. We did what we had to do against City and that result will be remembered for decades, but our football for almost the entire season was poor. Moreover, we were fortunate to grind out a lot of narrow wins on days when we were outplayed by opponents who wondered how they lost they lost a match they had dominated between then boxes.

And the less said about the CL, the better.

but in all seriousness, I do agree with the sentiment about league position being more reflective of where you are as a team

It's a shame those league finishes weren't really representative of progress at all though because as soon as we tried to move away from counter attack and push higher up the pitch we were getting slaughtered in his third season. Blame was placed on Ronaldo but the whole thing wasn't a solid foundation and we're still paying for some of his signings (Maguire, AwB, VdB, Sancho etc.) and the set up he left.

Time will tell if/when EtH leaves if the likes of Mainoo, Hojlund, Martinez, Onana, Mount will be a solid foundation for the future and he has signed his fair share of duds too, but i think will be there will be more cause for optimism than the squad Ole left us with.

It all comes down to whether you think EtH was right to persist with his strategy in the hopes that the front 6 learn and get better at executing it over time while the team gets healthy (ultimately sacrificing champs league and putting up some embarrassing records and performances) or if he should have been more flexible.

Ole was 100% right there and apparently the fans still haven't learned. There are people suggesting they would prefer a repeat of this season to doing an Arsenal and taking the league to the last game. All that because "trophy -> no trophy". For some reason majority of the fans have this extremely shortsighted view. Like Ole was suggesting, once you're actually "back", trophies will come. The way people have been bigging up domestic cups lately is borderline small time. Especially the League Cup which really is a mickey mouse competition and no big club would boast about winning it. But we don't stop there, even finals are counted as achievements now. In competitions where you basically play one single good opponent to reach the final.

Ole was 100% right there and apparently the fans still haven't learned. There are people suggesting they would prefer a repeat of this season to doing an Arsenal and taking the league to the last game. All that because "trophy -> no trophy". For some reason majority of the fans have this extremely shortsighted view. Like Ole was suggesting, once you're actually "back", trophies will come. The way people have been bigging up domestic cups lately is borderline small time. Especially the League Cup which really is a mickey mouse competition and no big club would boast about winning it. But we don't stop there, even finals are counted as achievements now. In competitions where you basically play one single good opponent to reach the final.

Its not just Ole, even Pep has said more than once that he values league performance higher than even the champions league as there is far more variance in cup competitions and league position is a much better indicator of consistency and quality of a team.

The injuries defense is taken way too far by ten Hag's apologists. We lost Martinez and Shaw for what was in reality the entire season and those are two huge misses, but the argument cannot be that without Martinez and Shaw there was no chance we could have played proper football even once.

The one result that has everyone buzzing, the win over City in the FA Cup, we say deep and hit on the counter, even with Martinez. We were nowhere close to being able to control the football for more than a few seconds. We did what we had to do against City and that result will be remembered for decades, but our football for almost the entire season was poor. Moreover, we were fortunate to grind out a lot of narrow wins on days when we were outplayed by opponents who wondered how they lost they lost a match they had dominated between then boxes.

And the less said about the CL, the better.

Went back and watched the match. It wasn’t even close until Haaland hit the bar. We looked so much better than they did. The patterns of play on the ball, choosing when to press or back off, passing out the back. We started to hoof balls after the Haaland chance and it turned into proper rearguard action but that’s what the cup final called for at that point.

On our other performances, yes we haven’t been able to put together a quality 90 minutes but we have had stretches of dominance within matches (think Liverpool) that show what our ceiling could be.

That's the issue, and shows the names in the press are obviously made up. We are supposedly going in with a plan and a style of play yet the press are linking us with managers under every style imaginable. Ten Hag's contract is perfect for keeping him for a year whilst we sound out the next manager too.

Well quite. The heart of the Ten Hag problem is his refusal to compromise his playing style to meet the reality that the players available couldn't perform it. Is that a sackable offence? Well maybe it is. But what else could he have done? Played on the break against Palace?

Its not just Ole, even Pep has said more than once that he values league performance higher than even the champions league as there is far more variance in cup competitions and league position is a much better indicator of consistency and quality of a team.
I would agree with that as well. But at least the CL is very prestigious and you play the best teams from Europe. 90% of the teams you play in domestic cups are either clearly inferior or even a tier or two below.

But again, your argument is being disingenuous. We aren't talking about a star player being required. In your analogy we signed a striker from the Dutch league who filled his boots there and had a respectable first season and has been abject this season because he refuses to use his feet. We can release him but the options to replace him are Wout Weghorst, Nathan Broadhead, Antony Martial and Mario Balotelli.

Absolutely none of those options will ever be good enough, there's a tiny chance the stubborn Dutch guy who decided he would only score headers unless it was an important match might start using his feet again. Given he's only got a year left on his contract I'm of the opinion that we might as well wait and see rather than committing millions of pounds we could use on players or facilities to someone we absolutely know we wont want around in 18 months time.

You call my argument disingenous then compare the manager market to those 4. Alright

Check out Alex Ferguson's 89-90 season record. Goal difference of -1. They lost 16 games in the season. The league had more teams then.
You need to give the manager time to get the foundations right.
I agree with the sentiment, but torn because I’m not sure ETH will be flexible enough to change up the open midfield

Well quite. The heart of the Ten Hag problem is his refusal to compromise his playing style to meet the reality that the players available couldn't perform it. Is that a sackable offence? Well maybe it is. But what else could he have done? Played on the break against Palace?

YES. You mean done what any competent manager does when faced with what he thinks is a squad crisis and lack of quality performances?

Literally not one fan would have blamed him for adjusting to missing some key defenders and shoring up our midfield/defense. Not one. Because the alternative was what happened: getting battered every game in the middle of the park and hoping for coinflip wins.

Check out Alex Ferguson's 89-90 season record. Goal difference of -1. They lost 16 games in the season. The league had more teams then.
You need to give the manager time to get the foundations right.

For every SAF there's approximately 1000x more managers that were just failures because they weren't good enough. Stop romanticising everything as if it needs to be this grand show of support. Also I'd argue 2 years is plenty of time to "get the foundations right"

If we'd have lost on Saturday, the poll would have been 80% + for sack.

One game and the majority forget about the shitshow of a season :wenger:

Even looking past finishing 8th, a minus goal difference, bottom of our champions league group...
We've seen his ideal set up/tactics, thought nothing was wrong with all the shots faced and been far too stubborn with his "way of play" and player selection.

That's all going to suddenly change next season is it?

Incredible isn't it

It's a shame those league finishes weren't really representative of progress at all though because as soon as we tried to move away from counter attack and push higher up the pitch we were getting slaughtered in his third season. Blame was placed on Ronaldo but the whole thing wasn't a solid foundation and we're still paying for some of his signings (Maguire, AwB, VdB, Sancho etc.) and the set up he left.

Time will tell if/when EtH leaves if the likes of Mainoo, Hojlund, Martinez, Onana, Mount will be a solid foundation for the future and he has signed his fair share of duds too, but i think will be there will be more cause for optimism than the squad Ole left us with.
I’ve noticed that We blame ole for the signings but don’t ETH.

What's more incredible is incessantly bitching about poll results from those wanting ten hag out, whilst also trying to suggest large portions of fans weren't backing him before the FA cup final.
I see you're no longer pretending to fence-sit now that your side is back on the ascendency

Listening to fans is basically the last thing ineos should do. Fans were backing every manager till the very end, no matter how bad he was doing. It's some sort of "pride" at this club.

Pre cup final 73% wanted him gone

post cup final it’s now 50/50 a swing of 23%

because of one match

recency bias is mental

watch it change quickly as soon as we inevitably start serving up the same old shit next season, and then be stuck with him most likely for another season

Went back and watched the match. It wasn’t even close until Haaland hit the bar. We looked so much better than they did. The patterns of play on the ball, choosing when to press or back off, passing out the back. We started to hoof balls after the Haaland chance and it turned into proper rearguard action but that’s what the cup final called for at that point.

On our other performances, yes we haven’t been able to put together a quality 90 minutes but we have had stretches of dominance within matches (think Liverpool) that show what our ceiling could be.

"We looked so much better than they did."

We did look better in the sense that we executed our game plan better than they did and of course we got the win -- and I want to be clear that winning is almost everything in sport -- but we had very little control control of the ball and we relied on City having a bad day to beat them. We played a brand of football that was our only hope of beating the better side in a cup final, but is a brand of football we can never, ever embrace over a 38 game PL season. In a very real sense we did look better than City on the day, but we looked better by playing a worse brand of football that only works as a smash and grab, which is what the FA Cup really was.

City had a bad day? The Gvardiol/Ortega mistake obviously and then the two chances on goal by Alvarez that on another day he would have beaten Onana. De Bruyne was shocking. Haaland was a nonfactor but on that point all credit goes to Varane and Martinez for shutting him down. I don't recall many stretches of dominance over City or Liverpool, nor Arsenal or Liverpool. We had a good win over West Ham though.

YES. You mean done what any competent manager does when faced with what he thinks is a squad crisis and lack of quality performances?

Literally not one fan would have blamed him for adjusting to missing some key defenders and shoring up our midfield/defense. Not one. Because the alternative was what happened: getting battered every game in the middle of the park and hoping for coinflip wins.

And this is the heart of it. He says that had he done so it would have set us back and cost even more points later. Who knows. If he gets sacked it's for being inflexible in the face of constant demands to compromise. A compromiser would last longer but would he do better? Isn't that what Ole was?

So, I've just joined this forum, and this is my first post. I felt compelled to join, as I needed to get my view across on Erik Ten Hag, for however little it is worth. He has got to stay, please. I fear he will be shown the door, but think it will be a huge mistake.

Since Sir Alex left, he was the first manager I truly felt could fit the profile of what Manchester United needs. A manager who wants to play good football, is likely to commit himself to the club for the long terms and build something. When he walked through the door, we all know the club was an absolute mess. If we were being truthful, we knew it would take several years to even dream of challenging at the top of the table. Yet, two years into the job, Man Utd have played in 4 domestic cups, got to the final 3 times and won twice. We had a really encouraging time in the Premier league last season, and were looking pretty good in Europa League until Martinez got injured, and then our vulnerabilities came to the forefront again.

This season has been poor. Really horrific. I won't lie and say I haven't cursed a lot while watching many games, and questioned decisions ETH has made. But, no manager gets everything perfect, right? So many pundits, especially those not associated with Utd, are quick to stick the knife in any chance they get. They don't know and feel the club deep down, they just know that sensationalizing Man Utd problems gets clicks. I've heard people like Shearer continue to say things like "Injuries are no excuse, all clubs have them". However, I'd love someone to ask Shearer "OK then, Newcastle have fallen down the table this year compared to last, is Howe taking them backwards and should he be sacked?". I am certain Shearer would then start telling us about the injury problems Newcastle have had to face. Arsenal have pretty much had all their key players available all season. Liverpool had a spell after Xmas where they had injuries, but apart from Robertson had their key players for first half of season, and also had them at the end of the season.

Dalot has been our only defender that has been fit through the vast majority of the season. Not only are so many of our best defenders missed games, our second string players have often been out injured as well. So, we end up playing 3rd, 4th, 5th string players, players out of position, etc. When injured, our better players simply cannot train, cannot be developed. When they do put their injury behind them, their only training is to try and get fit and stronger, and then they are thrown into the side as they are the only option. Do people really expect that this fragmented squad should be able to compete consistently against well drilled, Premier league sides? Finishing 8th this season is such a disappointment. Yet, then again, given how shocking we have been, it is almost amazing we've finished that high, and beat a number of sides who get a lot of praise over the season. If Utd hadn't suffered so many injuries (say, no more than 2 or even 3 key players out), then I'm sure ETH could have coached the available players to become more consistent, and we'd have at least pushed for the Top 4.

Cast your mind back to the era Sir Alex came to Utd. Before he joined, they finished the 5 previous campaigns in the Top 5. In his first season, they finished 11th, but then did well the following year and ended up 2nd. However, in his third season they finished 12th, and the season after 13th. It wasn't until his 7th season that they won the league, and the rest is history. For many of those that insists ETH should leave, they'd also have sacked Alex Ferguson long before the Premier League began.

For me, ETH has done more than enough to indicate he is a good manager, is committed to building a side and giving youth a chance, and would be there for the long haul. Not just looking for a nice 3 or 4 year pay day, before going off to some other big club. But, as a fan, I want to be loyal to this "project". Continue to believe, even when things get tough. I'm sure ETH will have learnt much more from the tough periods than he does when things are going well. If anyone knows what mistakes have been made, and where the club needs to be improved, it will be ETH. And, if INEOS can just bring in good people above him, who can sort out the scouting system, transfer policy and negotiations, then together I'm sure they can all take the club forward sooner rather than later.

So, come on Man Utd. Support your people, support your manager. Please tell us he is staying, and get moving on how you are going to develop the squad for next season. And, please don't sack the manager, and bring in some of the managers that have been rumored. Honestly, I think some of them are going to present a whole world of problems.

Don’t know if anyone else responded to this and I didn’t see anyone right away but I thought this was a beautiful post and really enjoyed reading it.

And this is the heart of it. He says that had he done so it would have set us back and cost even more points later. Who knows. If he gets sacked it's for being inflexible in the face of constant demands to compromise. A compromiser would last longer but would he do better? Isn't that what Ole was?

He can say that all he wants, he's fecking wrong :lol: there were hardly any points to cost, we just lost a record number of games in a season. It's not like we had a bunch of kids out there just making individual errors within a quality system. The system itself wasn't good to begin with, and then was exacerbated by squad capabilities. So yes any half fecking decent manager takes a look and realizes that getting battered every game isn't sustainable and looks to adjust the team to that.

So many here just seem to be fine with a manager in his 2nd season after spending 400m just playing coinflip suicidal tactics in the name of "progress" while rinsing an entire season. It boggles the mind. It's not like we were getting one off games of this thrilling dominance in the new system to point to where we just needed to stick at working on it. From the first kickoff of the season against wolves we had the exact same issues endlessly. That isn't progress. Trust me if we were just inconsistent but had pockets of form where we blew teams away when it ocassionally "clicked" I'd be all for persisting and dealing with growing pains.

Status
Not open for further replies.