Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I hear from people on here, that's exactly how he likes to operate and not get involved in transfers. He's a proper tactician, flexible and has won things. Now I don't know how he is promoting youth or if he truly is as volatile as people level at him, but if the structure is calling the shots anyway, the squad will be ready for a McKenna in the future. Also the new structure is inexperienced (none of them have done their roles at a club the size of United and some have never even had their roles) and adding an also inexperienced manager just seems like a recipe for disaster. It would be between Tuchel and McKenna out of the 4, but I just see it as too soon for McKenna.

Ah ok, well in that case he should be the favourite. McKenna does seem the bookies favourite at the minute though, but that doesn't mean much.

My issue with replacing Erik, is that the supposed list of replacements for his job, are not any better than him. I would rather we kept him, give him some structure and style to implement and see what happens. If there’s no improvement next year, then replace him.

If Ineos have the right procedures in place and the right guys assessing performance, does it matter what fans think? We've all been asking for this structure so we'd have to just put our faith in it.
Well we have no idea if they have yet. We have to hope they do, but doesn't mean we can't question some of the decisions, considering they haven't got a track record of success.

Well tbf, that's very simplistic opinion from him. That was exactly should be the approach for years to come from United against better Team (or on away tough game). That's how we started CL domination under SAF on mid- to late 2000. Started with making it hard to beat.

And the issue that many have had with Ten Hag this season, me included, is that he has made us easy to beat. It’s only in the last few games he’s adapted his approach. For most of the season he’s stubbornly stuck with a set up that’s left our defence massively exposed. Even when having to cobble together a second choice back four due to injuries, he still refused to adjust his set up to offer us more protection and therefore make us harder to beat. That above all else, has been his great undoing.

Tuchel and Poch are both upgrades. McKenna could even be Ashworth's preferred choice for all we know.

Whoever it is, if they dont make progress they get sacked and we try someone else. That's what top clubs do. It's not complicated.

If you dont like that, stop worshipping managers and stop getting too emotionally invested in them.

Tuchel and Poch are both upgrades. McKenna could even be Ashworth's preferred choice for all we know.

Whoever it is, if they dont make progress they get sacked and we try someone else. That's what top clubs do. It's not complicated.

If you dont like that, stop worshipping managers and stop getting too emotionally invested in them.

Upgrades? No chance in hell they are. I’d rather McKenna before them.

Well we have no idea if they have yet. We have to hope they do, but doesn't mean we can't question some of the decisions, considering they haven't got a track record of success.

That's funny, because not long ago the opinion was that we shouldn't change manager until we have the magical structure in place, or that he needs this to do his job well. And it seems like they are, unofficially, working together. But now we should actually question the decisions of that structure, should they decide to sack him?

And the issue that many have had with Ten Hag this season, me included, is that he has made us easy to beat. It’s only in the last few games he’s adapted his approach. For most of the season he’s stubbornly stuck with a set up that’s left our defence massively exposed. Even when having to cobble together a second choice back four due to injuries, he still refused to adjust his set up to offer us more protection and therefore make us harder to beat. That above all else, has been his great undoing.
100% agreed. That's why that Ogen's opinion is too simplistic, imho (unless that poster quoting Ogen wrongly). Manager need to adapt their tactic. Our tactic against City was a perfect example of that.

That's funny, because not long ago the opinion was that we shouldn't change manager until we have the magical structure in place, or that he needs this to do his job well. And it seems like they are, unofficially, working together. But now we should actually question the decisions of that structure, should they decide to sack him?
I don't care if they decide to sack him, that's a valid decision. Who they replace him with is definitely up for discussion

I think it's a valid point if you don't then go and say your happy to hire someone with zero pedigree and ok with coming 8th again.

I'll personally never be okay with coming 8th.

Coming 8th whilst looking extremely lucky to finish in that position is objectively worse than finishing 8th but looking like you are building a sustainable style of play that will push you to far greater heights.

I imagine that is the worst case scenario they are discussing.

The context is obviously different in that RM's 'standard' way of playing works, as seen by their league title with 95 points and +61 GD as well as the league/CL double they won two years ago, so playing differently is just adding a tool to the arsenal. Whereas United's 'standard' way of playing didn't work this season, as seen by their league position, low GD, and poor CL campaign. People are wondering whether the one tool is enough.

But I was responding to specifically united having 27% possession against city. It is not a stick to beat Ten Hag with, as Ancelotti did it too, and much better than Madrid that received 33 shots.

The poll now is close to 50-50. Something happened yesterday apart from winning a single game? 25% swing just because of a win? Some of us really deserves one more season like the current one.

This season was objectively worse than either of those. Less points, less goals scored, more goals conceded than Moyes. By almost every metric we were very fortunate to finish 8th as well.
Are you trying to tell me that going from PL champion to finishing 7th, while being comfortably beaten home and away by all our rivals while your manager is telling his own fan base that we should strive to be more like an oil club that hasn't achieve anything is somehow better than winning an FA Cup and stopping your domestic plastic club from doing a double simply because we finished 1 position lower and scored fewer league goals?

Giving Ten Hag more time would be the biggest sign that the new management structure isn’t going to make the same short sighted decisions as we have been subjected to the last decade.

We could sack him and get in any number for managers, but there’s no guarantee that in 3 years we will be any better off then we will be if we keep ETH for the same amount of time.

The league campaign was shite, and imo injuries were definitely the biggest contributor. Ten Hag made other mistakes too, but some of the starting 11’s we were forced to put out were mid table quality, especially in defence. Just yesterday we saw just how much difference the starting CB’s make, and we still didn’t even have a LB.

In my book, he has enough goodwill with the cup wins and EL qualification that he deserves the chance to prove he can get us back to looking good again, as we did much of his first season.

If we are still shite in November, he will be gone anyway. I don’t see that missing out on any of the candidates being considered now is that big a deal.

I’m also of the opinion that the new management might want to keep him anyway even if he is dead man walking. If they boot him now and bring someone in who doesn’t hit the ground running, it’s all on them. If they give him a chance and it carries on more of the same, then it’s on Ten Hag really.

I think it's a valid point if you don't then go and say your happy to hire someone with zero pedigree and ok with coming 8th again.
If use their logic on Ten Hag and we sign another manager, anything below 4th he should be sacked on the spot then.

At what point do you start questioning the structure above the manager though? we've been rubbish for 10 years and have been through various managers, at some point we surely have to look beyond the dugout.

For me its symptom vs cause, the problem is far deeper than the manager, changing 1 person isnt going to fix the problem.

Are you trying to tell me that going from PL champion to finishing 7th, while being comfortably beaten home and away by all our rivals while your manager is telling his own fan base that we should strive to be more like an oil club that hasn't achieve anything is somehow better than winning an FA Cup and stopping your domestic plastic club from doing a double simply because we finished 1 position lower and scored fewer league goals?
Like the other poster, you're bringing cups into something that was never the topic. And Ten Hag has broken numerous negative records. There is no season post SAF that is "way worse" than this league campaign.

At what point do you start questioning the structure above the manager though? we've been rubbish for 10 years and have been through various managers, at some point we surely have to look beyond the dugout.

For me its symptom vs cause, the problem is far deeper than the manager, changing 1 person isnt going to fix the problem.
There's nobody in here who isn't questioning the structure above the manager.

You understand that the structure above the manager literally changed and has been changing since the start of the year?

Are you not keeping up or? Of course we will have to see how it works out but that's a crazy question to ask.

Now it's 55% votes to sack him and 45% to keep him and could be 50-50% over next days as it seems to be getting closer with ever since the Cup Final win.

Same for me and it's why my vote on here remains No still. He showed he can adapt like Liverpool and City away and City yesterday. Have no problem with Spurs and Arsenal away games either. However, most of the other games we just looked too open, conceding shots and chances and having no control of the game, getting dominated by opposition.

Going through our results this season and there are so many poor ones. Wolves at home, Brighton at home, Palace at home, Brentford at home, Bournemouth at home, Forest away, Fulham at home, Brenford away, Bournemouth away, Burnley at home, Palace away. That's league. Plus Newcastle at home in League Cup, Galatasaray at home and away, Copenhagen at home, Newport City away. That's 15 poor performances. Plenty of average games as well and uncovincing wins (home vs Forest, Everton, Luton, West Ham,away to Burnley, Sheffield United, Fulham, Everton etc).

I would give him another year but it’s clear Ten Hag is 100% gone. INEOS will let the dust settle and announce it whilst he’s on holiday, maybe give it ten days or so. Makes it look a bit more respectful for both parties. Now down to who they chose, Poch or McKenna.

Well that's what football is all about isn't it getting emotionally invested. What's the point of supporting a club otherwise.

'Don't get invested in the manager situation' says the guy with over 1,000 posts in this thread

Not what City did. Not what Arsenal did. Not what Liverpool did.

Finding the idea that Tuchel is a better manager than Ten Hag laughable undermines nearly any point you make about Erik as you've shown that you objectively overrate him.
Tuchel has fecked it royally with Bayern, more so than Ten Hag did this season with United. How you go 3rd in a two horse league is insane, and to be knocked out of the domestic Cup from a third division side too. Insane.

You understand that the structure above the manager literally changed and has been changing since the start of the year?

Are you not keeping up or? Of course we will have to see how it works out but that's a crazy question to ask.

Of course i understand that and thats exactly my point, the manager has been working under a poor structure since he joined the club and whilst he is bearing the brunt of a lot of fan anger, for me its misdirected.

So if someone think's Ten Hag should be replaced they're a wanker?

Interesting.
That's been the sentiment in this thread all season from some people. Anyone who wants the manager out is an idiot and a bad person.

Of course, that sentiment doesn't apply to players or other club employees. Sack all of them without a second thought!

When was the last time someone finished in top two with that tactic? When was the last time someone won the EPL or the UCL? You see the problem? Fooball has moved on and we haven't. Now we are sacking ETH for moving on too quickly for the squad he has.
Times are changing; look at possession teams getting knocked out of cups left and right. Cheaty in CL and FA cup, Leverkusen in EL, Barcelona.

Football is moving on again.

Tuchel has fecked it royally with Bayern, more so than Ten Hag did this season with United. How you go 3rd in a two horse league is insane, and to be knocked out of the domestic Cup from a third division side too. Insane.

Both were poor last season. Tuchel at least produced good football that makes sense.

Tuchel has clearly, without doubt shown more as a manager than Ten Hag at this stage. If you honestly find it laughing emoji worthy then like I said you are so biased towards Ten Hag then it is pointless trying to get any balanced view from you.

Of course i understand that and thats exactly my point, the manager has been working under a poor structure since he joined the club and whilst he is bearing the brunt of a lot of fan anger, for me its misdirected.

Dan Ashworth is not going to explain to Erik that playing 1 player in central midfield and a deep back line for a year whilst getting exposed every week is self destructive insanity any more than Ed Woodward would.

If the alternatives looked at are fecking Tuchel and Pochettino then keep ETH. Personally I'm rooting for De Zerbi but at the end of the day, I couldn't care less. I don't have energy for this

Neither would be massive upgrades.

Top clubs like Real and Bayern are better run on the footballing side than Utd have been for over 10 years now, you have to get to a point where the structure and squad are in a position to seriously challenge for the league before this approach has any real merit. Otherwise you end up going round in circles like Utd have been for a long time now.

Whether the club sacks or keeps ETH, I'm almost certain it's going to be 2-3 years before a serious title challenge is a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.