Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it only Steinberg and Di Marzio who have reported the decision has been made and he's been sacked?

It's easy to name 10 managers who could come in and potentially be a better fit for United.

Ten Hag hasn't worked out, he won't keep his job after a season like that despite the cup win.

So Ineos will be looking to get their own man in who fits in with their vision for the club.

Could you name 5 of them Five out of those easy ten? Five realistic options? And sure, whoever you name could potentially be a better fit but is that worth swapping out a manager who came out of his first bad year in his career, still won a FA Cup and had to deal with a freak situation regarding injuries?

I would like someone to ask him in an interview in why he persisted so long with that open midfield and disjointed system for so long.
This question has been addressed but never fully explained.

In the interview with Neville, he said he didn’t want to disrupt the development of the system by changing it, even though we had so many injuries. It would unsettle the team even more.

It still doesn’t fully answer the question of why the midfield gap was too big. Part of it is compensating for slow immobile defenders. The other part is poor performance in my opinion; players not following instructions.

The frustrating bit in all of this is that he can clearly coach a team and he can clearly set a team up to play counter-attacking / transition football, but he stubbornly persisted with a suicidal system for an entire season.

We missed top four by 9 points. We lost games like Fulham (H), Palace (H) and Bournemouth (H) and dropped two points vs Burnley at home.

It wouldn't have taken much for us to finish in the CL spots, it's really not that hard.

I sort of see his argument that we'll never make progress if we don't train and play new systems but at the same time, he said himself you can't coach injured players - so why not be a touch more pragmatic after Christmas?

If Ineos are still open to him staying, a lot will depend on how ETH wants setup going forward and realize the plan from last summer is not good for goals or fitness and how this works with how Ineos want to go, the players that are leaving and who we bring in. We need to use the ball and not waste so much energy and utilize our attacking talents. If he wants to carry on like he has been this season and demands this sole superman midfielder then it will be an easy sack.

Winning is the most important (like ETH has shown). I wouldn't want to have a Spurs/Poch like era of winning nothing and being top 4 for a while.

Last edited:
If Ineos are still open to him staying, a lot will depend on how ETH wants setup going forward and realize the plan from last summer is not good for goals or fitness and how this works with how Ineos want to go, the players that are leaving and who we bring in. We need to use the ball and not waste so much energy and utilize our attacking talents. If he wants to carry on like he has been this season and demands this sole superman midfielder then it will be an easy sack.

Winning is the most important. I wouldn't want to have a Spurs/Poch like era of winning nothing and being top 4 for a while.

Well.. he did win something in both his seasons. He meets the requirement of not winning nothing. He didnt win the CL or the League but nobody was expecting him to win those titles.

If Ineos are still open to him staying, a lot will depend on how ETH wants setup going forward and realize the plan from last summer is not good for goals or fitness and how Ineos want to go, the players that are leaving and who we bring in. We need to use the ball and not waste so much energy and utilize our attacking talents. If he wants to carry on like he has been this season and demands this sole superman midfielder then it will be an easy sack.

Winning is the most important. I wouldn't want to have a Spurs/Poch like era of winning nothing and being top 4 for a while.

Better centrebacks and wingbacks who can cut into midfield would likely solve that midfield issue. The midfielder is not supposed to be alone there. We play too deep in defence and we play too wide with our fullbacks. These are issues that Ten Hag has hinted at multiple times this season.

It's unbelievable to me how one domestic cup run wipes out from many peoples memory:
  1. the worst league run in 30 years
  2. the worst CL run of any EPL club ever, in an easy group no less
  3. the bizarre and stubborn tactical choices
  4. a transfer record littered with poor personal choices
  5. under-utilisation of the squad and favouritism
  6. the manager claiming zero accountability for the failures in any of his interviews
Only injuries blamed for everything. Even when some players complained that the training sessions were too hard and perhaps leading to exhaustion ahead of games and injuries. Still nothing is ever his fault, the successes are down to him and the failures just bad luck or down to the weak players.

Last edited:
Better centrebacks and wingbacks who can cut into midfield would likely solve that midfield issue. The midfielder is not supposed to be alone there. We play too deep in defence and we play too wide with our fullbacks. These are issues that Ten Hag has hinted at multiple times this season.

Yes I've outlined before, we have Varane going as well. We need some astute signings by the new board.

Well.. he did win something in both his seasons. He meets the requirement of not winning nothing. He didnt win the CL or the League but nobody was expecting him to win those titles.

I think you've missed the point, I'm very much saying ETH has shown to be a winner and a core reason to possibly stick with him. I've edited my post to show that.

I don't want ETH to stay but I do think McKenna would be a baffling appointment at this stage. Tuchel is the only manager we should be considering.
The McKenna thing is he’s widely recognised as the ‘Next Big Thing’
Tactically cute, plays a 4231 possession based football and he’s super attacking as proven by Ipswich being the highest scorers in both seasons at league one and the championship, his teams score 2+ goals per game, he knows the club, knows the players knows the youth set up, and he fits the role they want a new yes man head coach who only concentrates on the training ground.

Personally I think he will stay at Ipswich or maybe go to Brighton in which case we should stick with ETH(can’t believe I’m saying this after 19 defeats!) but when you beat your two biggest rivals Livarpool and City115 to win an Fa Cup and win a pen shoot out to Coventry when you were down and out, I’m starting to think that if the bald one does stay, he’ll get right as he’s a resilient F…..that clearly, when he’s not on the magic mushrooms with his 4———-1———23 formation is actually quite an astute coach.

He has some Fergies stubbornness in him which can be a good and bad thing in equal measures?

Yes I've outlined before, we have Varane going as well. We need some astute signings by the new board.

Definitely. Martinez can not stay fit either, so we need to recruit some serious defensive talents. Speed, height, strength AND ability on the ball. It is one hell of an ask.

It really was awful, some posters seemed genuinely upset that we won because ETH might actually end up staying. It was crazy.
I can't fathom the thought process sometimes of some posts, imagine being spiteful your team won a trophy but it may marginally increase the chances of the manager staying!

Tactically cute, plays a 4231 possession based football and he’s super attacking as proven by Ipswich being the highest scorers in both seasons at league one and the championship, his teams score 2+ goals per game, he knows the club, knows the players knows the youth set up, and he fits the role they want a new yes man head coach who only concentrates on the training ground.

Personally I think he will stay at Ipswich or maybe go to Brighton in which case we should stick with ETH(can’t believe I’m saying this after 19 defeats!) but when you beat your two biggest rivals Livarpool and City115 to win an Fa Cup and win a pen shoot out to Coventry when you were down and out, I’m starting to think that if the bald one does stay, he’ll get right as he’s a resilient F…..that clearly, when he’s not on the magic mushrooms with his 4———-1———23 formation is actually quite an astute coach.

He has some Fergies stubbornness in him which can be a good and bad thing in equal measures?

McKenna might well be the next big thing but he's not proven at a high level and he comes across as quite a passive and quiet character, which we've not really seen too much of in successful managers in England's top flight - its a big call to back him over a manager who has a track record after one bad season. If the new owners want a 'reset appointment' it has to be Tuchel, even if most of his league success has been 'gimmes' - Poch would be a 'we are spurs now' appointment

Wasn't McKenna part of the backroom staff under Mourinho and we didn't see much improvement in the attacking play.

Is it possible that Mourinho completely ignored any of his advice?

The poll on Skysports had a 76% in favor of keeping him as well. So that Mitten poll is not skewed by his audience, which are a small segment of well plugged in online fans.

What's impressive for me about ETH is he managed to win the FA Cup with a team that was of low morale for a long time, criticized severely by fans and media lot, with a storm of speculation about his future at United swirling above their heads. It is an accomplishment under a toxic environment. The team won the team with discipline and determination.

It is obviously not right to say that the cup should gloss over all the miseries throughout the whole season and all kinds of bad record-breaking. Having said that, we should avoid letting some bad records overshadow occasional rays of brilliance, too.

I think the management people need to sit down and have an objective and thorough analysis of the season so they know what exactly went wrong for the team and what went okay too. They also need to ask a more delicate question whether the wrongs can be corrected with the structures they are implementing that were not in place when ETH was working over the last two seasons.

I have no insights into what's going on at the club, but I got the impression that ETH has a clear view of what football he wants to play. He wants to play it so badly that he stuck with it with the injury-hit squad for most of the games in the season. [I think that is the reason that our football often looked disjointed and disorganized because the players were not up to the criterion. Once he has the players needed to play his style, he delivers. Unfortunately, that was short-lived because many key players were missed because of injuries, such as Martinez, Verane, Shawn and the out-of-form Casemiro, etc.]

People can certainly question his recruitments like Mason Mount, Casemiro, and Anthony. Let's assume that is largely his fault, which I am not 100% sure of. But that problematic part of his coaching, albeit being serious enough, can certainly be rectified with the structure of management introduced by the new owners who claimed themselves to provide a structure for a coach at United.

It's unbelievable to me how one domestic cup run wipes out from many peoples memory:
  6. him claiming zero accountability for the failures in any of his interviews
Only injuries blamed for everything. Even when some players complained that the training sessions were too hard and perhaps leading to exhaustion ahead of games and injuries. Still nothing is ever his fault, the successes are down to him and the failures just bad luck or down to the weak players.
Tbf I can completely believe it with fans after the high of a cup win against big favourites who happen to be city rivals. As long as the club isn't swept along in the same manner, it's fine.

McKenna might well be the next big thing but he's not proven at a high level and he comes across as quite a passive and quiet character, which we've not really seen too much of in successful managers in England's top flight - its a big call to back him over a manager who has a track record after one bad season. If the new owners want a 'reset appointment' it has to be Tuchel, even if most of his league success has been 'gimmes' - Poch would be a 'we are spurs now' appointment

Would Tuchel be willing to work in a system as a first team coach and not as a manager? Didnt he have issues with Bayern because he didnt get the defensive midfielder (João Palhinha) that he wanted?

6. him claiming zero accountability for the failures in any of his interviews

Well said mate!

Hopefully he gets sacked tomorrow.

Martinez is not injury prone.

I would be extremely worried if we went into next season without having a top class rotation option for Martinez - especially if Ten Hag stays. He is far too important for the system, it would be negligent to go into a new season without signing another player who can do what he can in LCB. If he has a similar injury season to this, we are screwed.

Those centre back and wing back role sound exactly like the roles Martinez and Shaw are great at...

Those centre back and wing back role sound exactly like the roles Martinez and Shaw are great at...
Luke Shaw cannot stay fit. We all knew this and recently even Ten Hag had to officially admit it

Martinez missed most of last season. Hopefully it was a one-off, but very concerning if not

Them being out (+ Casemiro becoming crap) were huge reasons for us finishing 8th. What if they are injured again and they dont replace Casemiro with a reloable DMF?

Analyzing risks and fitness are huge parts of management.

Has anyone seen any betting odds regarding if he to still be in charge next season or not?

I’d imagine he is now favourite to stay?

There's 0 reset with Tuchel, imo.

He's a manager who hasn't lasted more than 2 years in any club for over a decade now. Who is indeed vocal, but only enough to fall out quickly with owners. While also being known for playing defensive football that only really works in cups runs.

What are we exactly resetting there?

Would Tuchel be willing to work in a system as a first team coach and not as a manager? Didnt he have issues with Bayern because he didnt get the defensive midfielder (João Palhinha) that he wanted?

I think he's pretty much always worked in a similar structure to our proposed one - obviously there is always potential friction between a head coach and football structure on player assessment and the head coach really only has veto powers so its a possibility there will be issues

I would be extremely worried if we went into next season without having a top class rotation option for Martinez - especially if Ten Hag stays. He is far too important for the system, it would be negligent to go into a new season without signing another player who can do what he can in LCB. If he has a similar injury season to this, we are screwed.

We need a quality starter first for next to him.
Let alone another quality rotational player.

It's suddenly become a very difficult decision the owners have to make. Do they sack him? Who do they hire, if they do? How long can they delay?

I don't know what the right answer is anymore. Would have been nice to have someone like Ashworth handle this.

There's 0 reset with Tuchel, imo.

He's a manager who hasn't lasted more than 2 years in any club for over a decade now. Who is indeed vocal, but only enough to fall out quickly with owners. While also being known for playing defensive football that only really works in cups runs.

What are we exactly resetting there?

its a 'we are the new owners and want our own person' reset

Obviously ETH has a few other performance related issues that could lead to his sacking, but a lot is mitigated so its really a fine line decision that could be based on the want of the new structure to have their guy

We need a quality starter first for next to him.
Let alone another quality rotational player.

No, we need both. Did you see the drop of quality in defence without Martinez? It is suicidal not to fix that. Two top class centrebacks are a minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.