Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're 8th in the league with negative GD.
A good cup run does not change that.

Now we can sign him some top players that can stay fit. It's the right thing to do. 3 finals in 2 years, and 2 trophies. I'll take that side of the argument.

I feel sort of the same, but I'm still reeling from the league, absolutely schooled by teams that should be running scared from us. Brentford, wolves, forest, all gave us a hiding and we offered nothing except a quick break and you never know ... This whole season (not just a few games) we have wondered what the plan is, tactics are etc etc. and injuries should not be a reason to change the whole game plan. If Martinez is out why is there no other CB who plays as progressive?

What he did yesterday in midfield, shoreing it up, is what he should have done 3 months back, and I think he'll admit that himself. This notion that top four was never achievable because of the injuries is wrong in my mind and looking back at the games you listed, he should never get a free pass for that. If you have an injury crisis you have to manage it as a club like United, or any club for that matter. You can't just allow every Tom, Dick and Harry to outplay us and get at that weakened defence. I think even he'll admit he's regrets over how the past few months were handled tactically.

What he did yesterday in midfield, shoreing it up, is what he should have done 3 months back, and I think he'll admit that himself. This notion that top four was never achievable because of the injuries is wrong in my mind and looking back at the games you listed, he should never get a free pass for that. If you have an injury crisis you have to manage it as a club like United, or any club for that matter. You can't just allow every Tom, Dick and Harry to outplay us and get at that weakened defence. I think even he'll admit he's regrets over how the past few months were handled tactically.

Are we even sure he’ll be any less stubborn the next time he encounters a similar situation? Middle aged men are mostly set in their ways.

I think one major issue is the reality (slightly ironically I suppose) that United fans wouldn't want to see performances of that style (despite the quality it was executed) on a consistent basis. Rather the supporters preference is for a team playing on the front foot dominating teams with attacking expansive football. Whether this manager has the capability of delivering this I believe is a vital question to consider.

Sorry changes absolutely nothing. The barometer is always what happens in a season, not just cup runs.

We're 8th in the league with negative GD.
A good cup run does not change that.

obviously negative GD is embarrassing for the club but it should also be pointed out that we have had streaks without a recognised striker and relying on very young attackers to chip in probably before they are ready for that responsibility at the same time as relying 5/6th choice centrebacks and having no recognised left back

it can be said that Rashford has been available for most of the season and didn't perform to the required level of a senior player, while we gave him a new contract to reflect his status so that could be seen as bad management by the club to invest in him and our use of transfer resources has been inefficient to say the least, and ETH will have been involved in all of that to date so has to have some of the blame

I try not to get involved in this ETH discussion too much because it's almost becoming like those silly Messi v Ronaldo or Ineos v Qatar debates where people just pick a side and defend it to the hilt. If he stays, like with all managers, I will fully support him and cheer for him at OT, hoping he gets us the league. But if it was up to me, I would be looking for a change.
Yep. There’s a lot of us who this paragraph applies to perfectly.

I'm not getting into a should he say or go conversation but what I want to say is the press before, during and especially after was very disrespectful towards ETH. Constant fecking questions about his job. He got a bit pissed with them and rightly so in my opinion.

Are we even sure he’ll be any less stubborn the next time he encounters a similar situation? Middle aged men are mostly set in their ways.

Indeed. If he's given an opportunity to continue I hope to God he'll have proper advisors looking into how these games were handled tactically, if he truly believes those performances were all down to having a weakened, makeshift defence we're in big trouble.

Posters are too attached to the manager emotionally. He is not the right fit and will be sacked rightfully for his suicidal tactics in the league and CL.

The bad overweights the good. Ending in 8th, playing horrendously, CL campaign, terrible spending of transfer sums are all a sackable offense. Do not understand the justification of awarding him another season due to a win against city. The memory seems to be fickle. United this season was the worst I’ve seen in my life.

One match certainly cannot change the overall impression of the season. However, it was far from an ordinary match. ETH tactically outmaneuvered Pep in a way few have managed recently. Even Real was closer to losing in the CL than we were yesterday. If it hadn't been for Onana's mistake, they wouldn't even scored that one goal. It was really a special game.

However, I'm concerned that this might be his peak, and he might only make us a club capable of winning occasional cups and qualifying for the CL, and that's it. I don't trust him for long-term league success. If he stays, he should definitely be supported, but I wouldn't be surprised if we replaced him sometime in October or November.

Posters are too attached to the manager emotionally. He is not the right fit and will be sacked rightfully for his suicidal tactics in the league and CL.

This. I think we (United fans in particular) got to accept that the head coach (no longer "manager") is just another cog that can be replaced. The key is obviously getting the mythical structure right - then the club can change the coach more seamlessly than before.

Catching up after the win yesterday, this thread was an absolute car crash. I actually can't believe people would rather argue to death after a cup win, why don't people just enjoy the moment anymore?

Great win, the tactical set up and execution of it was perfect.
It really was awful, some posters seemed genuinely upset that we won because ETH might actually end up staying. It was crazy.

Good question. Klopp and Pep are on top for me. Ancelloti after them is a very good manager too.

After that who is clearly a better manager than ETH? Alonso had a very good year, Tuchel is a good manager. Emery has won Europa leagues, did okay at Arsenal and has had a very good season with Villa. Enrique is mentioned sometimes but when i hear his name i dont instantly associate him with succes but more with endless passing. Zidane had an amazing Real Madrid team but we dont know much else about him as a manager. Conte and Mourinho have won a lot of titles but their style of play is outdated and hasnt been succesfull recently. Simeone does great work at Atletico.

There are young managers who do well at their clubs but arent proven at big clubs. Most of them havent won cups, national titles (although winning the Eredivisie with the Ajax squad ETH isnt that hard) and been to the semi final of the CL. I know that ETH comes out of a bad season and that makes some ignore all the things he did achieve before this year.

Is it that easy to name 10 clearly better managers than ETH? Manager you cant argue against as 'better' and 'more proven'? Arteta does very well at Arsenal but he did get the time that many dont want to give ETH. De Zerbi did have a good period at Brighton but i wouldnt consider him clearly better. Poch hasnt been a major succes in his last few jobs so would he be a clearly better option?

ETH isnt top 5 but i suppose you could sneak him into the top 10 if you really wanted. This has been his first bad year of his career and he still won the FA cup. Klopp had a bad year last year and also in his final Dortmund year. Even the best managers have bad years. Even if you dont think ETH is top 10, he wont be that far off based on his reputation and recent performances compared to other managers.

It's easy to name 10 managers who could come in and potentially be a better fit for United.

Ten Hag hasn't worked out, he won't keep his job after a season like that despite the cup win.

So Ineos will be looking to get their own man in who fits in with their vision for the club.

Great win today which makes the rest of the season fecking moronic. It's actually made me more eth out. Hope he's gone in the morning.
Same. Absolutely brilliant and I’m chuffed for him and the players.

But why the feck has he waited all year to condense the pitch? It’s incompetence of the highest. Thank you and goodbye.

obviously negative GD is embarrassing for the club but it should also be pointed out that we have had streaks without a recognised striker and relying on very young attackers to chip in probably before they are ready for that responsibility at the same time as relying 5/6th choice centrebacks and having no recognised left back

it can be said that Rashford has been available for most of the season and didn't perform to the required level of a senior player, while we gave him a new contract to reflect his status so that could be seen as bad management by the club to invest in him and our use of transfer resources has been inefficient to say the least, and ETH will have been involved in all of that to date so has to have some of the blame

How long were those runs?

I’ve been ETH out for months. The league form has been dire but it’s not an excuse when he says it’s been a freak season for injuries the squad has been obliterated.

Looking at the alternatives mainly McKenna who is a million miles away from being ready for this job and ETH deserves another season. Get the squad fit and add a few good signings under this new regime and we could look like a completely different club next season

He’s changed my mind I’m ETH in.

I'm still buzzing today. Watching highlights over and over again. What a performance, what a greatly motivated team, fighting for every blade of grass! The second goal is unbelievable!
Clearly one for the history books, massive Wembley glory.

How can anybody only think about the negatives of this season is beyond me. Enjoy this, people. It's party time now, leave the woes for the summer!

New ownership, rebuild plans happening, structural changes going on, we have a whole summer to improve the squad and we've won another trophy, securing european football (this increases our chances to attract quality players too).

Too many things to be happy about, why drool in negativity? Let's goooooo!

I'm still buzzing today. Watching highlights over and over again. What a performance, what a greatly motivated team, fighting for every blade of grass! The second goal is unbelievable!
Clearly one for the history books, massive Wembley glory.

How can anybody only think about the negatives of this season is beyond me. Enjoy this, people. It's party time now, leave the woes for the summer!

New ownership, rebuild plans happening, structural changes going on, we have a whole summer to improve the squad and we've won another trophy, securing european football (this increases our chances to attract quality players too).

Too many things to be happy about, why drool in negativity? Let's goooooo!

2023 - League Cup winners
2024 - FA Cup Winners
2025 - Europa League winners
2026 - Premier League winners
2027 - Champions League winners

:devil:

2 new narratives introduced today

- refs fault or we could have had 15-20 extra points
- his English is holding him back from getting his points across

Might as well go for a third one lads? Any good ones?
So you think that VAR and referees have been great for us.

From my point of view I often defend managers because fans are so short sighted and never take reality into considiration. Managers need time. We can criticise him for some poor tactics and naive approach in certain games but to not take other things is just wrong. We have been hit by injuries all season and lucky to even have players to put on pitch in some games. We had horrendous season looking how we have been affected by referees and VAR decisions. We had media running ABU articles pretty much whole year.
Still, we and he ends up with same amount of trophies this year as Guardiola and Klopp. More than media darlings Arteta or Pochettino. Teams that bought for more than us. More trophies than limitless money clubs like Newcastle.

Status
Not open for further replies.