Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was horrific, but he still got better results than ETH.

My biggest gripe with ETH is what he mentioned yesterday in the presser, and has done multiple times before. He needs all his first teamers available to be able to play the way he wants. If even 2-3 are missing, his style collapses and he doesn't have ( or hasn't shown so far) the tactical nuance to be able to consistently get results. That for me is the biggest red flag, as we are essentially accepting we won't be able to deal with adverse circumstances if/when the next injury crisis hits. Of course, it could be next season there are no major injuries and he leads us to a glorious campaign, but does that prove he can overcome this weakness? For me, a manager at a top club should be getting results irrespective of the adverse circumstances. Sure, you can not win the league but you can't be dropping down to 8th either.

I try not to get involved in this ETH discussion too much because it's almost becoming like those silly Messi v Ronaldo or Ineos v Qatar debates where people just pick a side and defend it to the hilt. If he stays, like with all managers, I will fully support him and cheer for him at OT, hoping he gets us the league. But if it was up to me, I would be looking for a change.
I mean he didn't though. Our win percentage is far higher under ETH. The results show me two trophies in two years. Your second point is false though, he doesn't necessarily need his first 11 all the time providing we have competent back up players. That isn't the case for us so the impact of players missing is obviously higher, relative to our rivals.

Give into temptation. It feels good to be optimistic.

Haha! It really does, especially after yesterday, I’m still buzzing from it. A week ago I would have been gutted if we had kept Hag for another year, but now I think I’d be happy to see if he can build from this.

Pep manages a well run football club that won titles before he joined and has a strong culture. We have a broken one - this is nearly the same team that gave up during the Ole / Ragnick joint season. It’s easy to admit one mistake when you’re at the top. ETH is under the enormous pressure and crucial.
ETH just doesn't strike me as someone who would admit his mistakes. He's been all over media in recent weeks blaming everyone but himself. I'm not expecting him to say he's shit but he's making it sound like he inherited a bunch of nobodies and is doing wonders with them when reality is very different. He's not at fault for everything but still shares major part of the blame why we've been playing the way we have.

Good morning everyone.

My vote is still for sale.

Personally, I'm choosing to trust whatever decision INEOS makes. If they decide to keep him it must be because of factors beyond our horrendous performances at various stretches this season. And if they're blinkered solely by this FA Cup win then we're fecked regardless in the long run.

ETH just doesn't strike me as someone who would admit his mistakes. He's been all over media in recent weeks blaming everyone but himself. I'm not expecting him to say he's shit but he's making it sound like he inherited a bunch of nobodies and is doing wonders with them when reality is very different. He's not at fault for everything but still shares major part of the blame why we've been playing the way we have.

He inherited a squad with a bunch of problems at a club with a lot of problems, having received advice that its an impossible job that will ruin his reputation..

That was all known when he took over so its pretty classless to now pretend he didn't join a shitshow and somehow turned the shit into two trophies in two years, meaning that covid nonwithstanding he's won a trophy as a manager every year since 2018/19 so he must have something about him?

At this point the only two scenarios that would get me excited is ETH staying and this is because of his unknown quality while being backed by a proper United structure. The second scenario being McKenna replacing ETH which is also because of his unknown potential

Mine is a pretty unusual take I think but I don't think yesterday should sway the decision one way or another

I agree with you, and I don't believe that it has. One off football matches should never, ever be enough to make long term decisions.

It's so much nicer that we won it though. Apart from the obvious reason of actually winning a trophy, it will allow Ten Hag to leave (if that is what happens) with his head held high and his reputation in place.

I realise there are many people here too invested in their argument to see this clearly, but the truth is that sacking him now will always leave a 'what if?' hanging over this. My personal belief is that he deserves a third season, win or lose yesterday, but it also adds pressure to any replacement coming in to have to follow 3 finals and 2 wins in 2 seasons.

He's in a weird situation.
I think he definitely has the right attitude for a "big club's manager"
But whenever he can fix united is another story. He cant seem to adapt to the league nor coach his players, injury or not.
Im still 40/60 favor for him to stay, i dont think he got it but the "new manager" list doesnt look that amazing either.
Its really up to INEOS now. Their first test.

I mean he didn't though. Our win percentage is far higher under ETH. The results show me two trophies in two years. Your second point is false though, he doesn't necessarily need his first 11 all the time providing we have competent back up players. That isn't the case for us so the impact of players missing is obviously higher, relative to our rivals.
You're kind of just proving my point about people picking a side and just backing it to the hilt. Well anyway I'm not going to get into it. We'll find out in the next week or so anyway whether he stays or go.

Catching up after the win yesterday, this thread was an absolute car crash. I actually can't believe people would rather argue to death after a cup win, why don't people just enjoy the moment anymore?

Great win, the tactical set up and execution of it was perfect.

We've had no left back all season and have hardly ever played a center back pairing that we can rely on all season too. I think there are one or two sides in similar boats but our squad building has been poor, where the 3rd or 4th choice players are completely reverse profiles to the first choice.

That being said I can only think of Chelsea and Newcastle comparable on this front and we had a better season than both.

Not strictly true we had regullion who we sent back, and Fernandez who we sent on loan. CB pairings have been a mess granted but we have largely been able to at least pick 2 experienced senior CB'S for most games. The massive defensive issues have come from ETH's system. Even if we had varane, Martinez and Shaw fit for most of the season we still would of struggled defensively, and anyway relying on those three, two of which are injury prone and one who was recovering from surgery is naive to put it lightly.

We haven't had a better season than either Newcastle or Chelsea either. The FA cup win maybe puts us on a par with them, but both those teams have played better than us for most of the season without much luck, we have been very poor with a lot of luck.

He inherited a squad, and a club that was in absolute freefall. Global scouts sacked, holes everywhere, inflated ego's, big controversy on Greenwood, and a clown CEO handling the situation, with a clown DoF overpaying for virtually every target, with negotiations and contracts held by an ex academy player's brother :lol:

2 new narratives introduced today

- refs fault or we could have had 15-20 extra points
- his English is holding him back from getting his points across

Might as well go for a third one lads? Any good ones?
What’s with the exaggeration and how is this new to you?

In the end, I think the people I’ll trust the most is INEOS not ETH. They’ve hired professionals with experience and have more inside knowledge than us. Whatever decision they come up with I’ll back them (for now)

He set this team up to fail until the very end, he’s just too stubborn, then there’s the recruitment… Let’s not be blinded by a single game where we pulled out a counterattacking win. He’s not the right fit long term, and we’ll be sorry two months into the next season if we keep him. He gets a nice send off and probably a decent job (Ajax? maybe Bayern) and we hire someone else, no grudges.

Not strictly true we had regullion who we sent back, and Fernandez who we sent on loan. CB pairings have been a mess granted but we have largely been able to at least pick 2 experienced senior CB'S for most games. The massive defensive issues have come from ETH's system. Even if we had varane, Martinez and Shaw fit for most of the season we still would of struggled defensively, and anyway relying on those three, two of which are injury prone and one who was recovering from surgery is naive to put it lightly.

We haven't had a better season than either Newcastle or Chelsea either. The FA cup win maybe puts us on a par with them, but both those teams have played better than us for most of the season without much luck, we have been very poor with a lot of luck.
Reguilon himself missed almost 2 months was it? With injury, think it was close to 2 but it stretched over an international break.

CB pairings have been an absolute mess - I would not count Evans as a player we wanted to depend on for so many games at 38 years of age. It was reported he failed his fitness test for Palace and we needed him anyway, and I wonder what other defenders towed that line. Theoretically most teams can chuck on a CB (As we did with Kambala), but them being ready is a totally different factor.

On our season point - we've most certainly had a better season than both of them. Ask any Newcastle or Chelsea fan if they'd have 1(or 2 or 3) points less in the season in exchange for an FA Cup and a ticket to Europa football, which neither have now, and they'll bite your hand off. Our season was better than theirs.

Haven't lost to Liverpool in 3 games, including knocking them out the FA Cup.

Hands Pep Guardiola his first domestic cup final loss.

Erik Ten Hag. "All eras come to an end".

He inherited a squad with a bunch of problems at a club with a lot of problems, having received advice that its an impossible job that will ruin his reputation..

That was all known when he took over so its pretty classless to now pretend he didn't join a shitshow and somehow turned the shit into two trophies in two years, meaning that covid nonwithstanding he's won a trophy as a manager every year since 2018/19 so he must have something about him?
He inherited a squad that had a bad season, just like this one under him. The squad that finished 3rd and 2nd seasons before. I'm not buying into the idea that he turned shit into gold, no.

Haven't lost to Liverpool in 3 games, including knocking them out the FA Cup.

Hands Pep Guardiola his first domestic cup final loss.

Erik Ten Hag. "All eras come to an end".
We're 8th in the league with negative GD.
A good cup run does not change that.

We're 8th in the league with negative GD.
A good cup run does not change that.
Funnily enough the prize for winning the cup is the same as finishing 5th. Except youve also won a major trophy.

I’m sure I’ll get shit from plenty on here for it, but I wonder if the chaos ball we played all season was following a directive from Murtough and co - ie. stick to your tactics regardless of personnel available

It’s too much of a coincidence that after his meeting with Wilcox he’s switched to something that actually works.

He’s demonstrated that when being more pragmatic he can make us competitive - as he did last season.

Sadly I still think he will go, and I think this is a mistake - but I’m clinging onto the idea that he was set a challenge for the last few weeks of the season and he has passed it.

Firstly well done and thanks to EtH we've won two trophies in two years during such a chaotic period. If he does go he can go with his head held high and the standard of winning even when things are terrible.

The worries with him for me have always been his in-game management and the way he uses his squad in general. He's very stubborn in his ways and ultimately that looks to be his undoing.

I don't want ETH to stay but I do think McKenna would be a baffling appointment at this stage. Tuchel is the only manager we should be considering.

He set this team up to fail until the very end, he’s just too stubborn, then there’s the recruitment… Let’s not be blinded by a single game where we pulled out a counterattacking win. He’s not the right fit long term, and we’ll be sorry two months into the next season if we keep him. He gets a nice send off and probably a decent job (Ajax? maybe Bayern) and we hire someone else, no grudges.
Ajax just appointed Farioli en Bayern Kompany.

Fantastic yesterday, got it spot on. This new system of packing the midfield has worked really well, not just yesterday but against Brighton and the Geordies as well. If he does stay he needs to progress with this system, rather than reverting to the more open style we’ve gone with this season.

That second goal yesterday I keep thinking about. How Ajax it was. Quick transition after overloading one side then switching. The beautiful underlap, then making the extra pass. Exceptional goal.

I’m sure I’ll get shit from plenty on here for it, but I wonder if the chaos ball we played all season was following a directive from Murtough and co - ie. stick to your tactics regardless of personnel available

It’s too much of a coincidence that after his meeting with Wilcox he’s switched to something that actually works.

He’s demonstrated that when being more pragmatic he can make us competitive - as he did last season.

Sadly I still think he will go, and I think this is a mistake - but I’m clinging onto the idea that he was set a challenge for the last few weeks of the season and he has passed it.
Ten Hag said he played in accordance to alignment with the higher ups at the time on style. Ten Hag was too stubborn to change it, thinking he can make any system work and I think he takes primary blame for that, irrespective of directions from above (if that was true).

That being said, he's a very adaptable coach and there's little doubt that he can tweak things under the game model as instructed by Wilcox. This idea that he's too open and unsustainable as some sort of consistency throughout his career is a bit bollocks in my opinion.

He inherited a squad that had a bad season, just like this one under him. The squad that finished 3rd and 2nd seasons before. I'm not buying into the idea that he turned shit into gold, no.

I'm not saying there wasn't some quality in the squad, obviously there was but the dressing room was in disarray and we lost our key midfielder in the summer and our only reliable goalscorer was forcing his way out of the club. Our best young attacking talent was/is unavailable and the captain was a) having a complete drop in form and b) wasn't a good fit for his style of play, our second choice striker was chronically injured, our other goalscorer is streaky as hell

The squad he inherited was a mess. Obviously our work in the transfer market has been.. troubling.. with him in charge but you can see that he wanted people who he worked with previously, my interpretation was it was so he has people who are onside and know his system to try and get a headstart on implementing his style and discipline, as well as club scouting being inept, the club just overpaid for his targets because they put themselves in that position by not having an adequate list of alternatives to convince him on if they couldn't get his player, plus that wouldn't be his call anymore

I’m very much in the ETH out camp however to replace him with McKena, De Zerbie or Southgate is a non starter

Poch or Tuchel I can just about stomach however would it be the worst thing to give ETH 10 games next season with 5 or 6 Ineos signings?

I think it’s win/win scenario if he starts with 7 or 8 prem wins out of 10 and a good run in Europa then maybe his superpower is resilience and his ability to adapt finally.
INEOS will want a long term plan and not lets give him 10gamwa and see what happens!

Haha! It really does, especially after yesterday, I’m still buzzing from it. A week ago I would have been gutted if we had kept Hag for another year, but now I think I’d be happy to see if he can build from this.
I feel sort of the same, but I'm still reeling from the league, absolutely schooled by teams that should be running scared from us. Brentford, wolves, forest, all gave us a hiding and we offered nothing except a quick break and you never know ... This whole season (not just a few games) we have wondered what the plan is, tactics are etc etc. and injuries should not be a reason to change the whole game plan. If Martinez is out why is there no other CB who plays as progressive?

No obviously not all but unless you think Ten Hag is one of the top 5-10 coaches in the world then we can find someone who is potentially superior and/or a better fit.

Do you think he's that good?

Good question. Klopp and Pep are on top for me. Ancelloti after them is a very good manager too.

After that who is clearly a better manager than ETH? Alonso had a very good year, Tuchel is a good manager. Emery has won Europa leagues, did okay at Arsenal and has had a very good season with Villa. Enrique is mentioned sometimes but when i hear his name i dont instantly associate him with succes but more with endless passing. Zidane had an amazing Real Madrid team but we dont know much else about him as a manager. Conte and Mourinho have won a lot of titles but their style of play is outdated and hasnt been succesfull recently. Simeone does great work at Atletico.

There are young managers who do well at their clubs but arent proven at big clubs. Most of them havent won cups, national titles (although winning the Eredivisie with the Ajax squad ETH isnt that hard) and been to the semi final of the CL. I know that ETH comes out of a bad season and that makes some ignore all the things he did achieve before this year.

Is it that easy to name 10 clearly better managers than ETH? Manager you cant argue against as 'better' and 'more proven'? Arteta does very well at Arsenal but he did get the time that many dont want to give ETH. De Zerbi did have a good period at Brighton but i wouldnt consider him clearly better. Poch hasnt been a major succes in his last few jobs so would he be a clearly better option?

ETH isnt top 5 but i suppose you could sneak him into the top 10 if you really wanted. This has been his first bad year of his career and he still won the FA cup. Klopp had a bad year last year and also in his final Dortmund year. Even the best managers have bad years. Even if you dont think ETH is top 10, he wont be that far off based on his reputation and recent performances compared to other managers.

Status
Not open for further replies.