Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep spot on mate, I noticed that about that particular poster weeks ago. I just can't believe people are acting this way today, we're all United fans and should be enjoying the hell out of this!

I think we're overall miles beyond that point and it's more or less about feeling that your opinion has been proven right or not, it's a never ending circle of "told you so" as there will always be a vast difference in opinions.

Amrabat has pretty much been a meme half the season, labelled as a disaster of a signing, should've kept Fred instead, a few solid performances towards the end and now the story seems to be that our season could've been completely different had he just played more.

Jesus I hate the British media. That press conference was a joke. Basically no mention of the game, purely about his job. I think he showed a massive level of restraint as I know I wouldn’t have been able to keep my cool in that situation.

Should of been a flat “I’ll answer questions about the game, one more about me and conference is over”

Reactions: Mr Pigeon
He is absolutely shitting on the media, the pundits, and even the owners are catching strays. Reckon he is going, so might as well...

@Rightnr
The timeline doesn't check out though. He said he wanted De Jong and Casemiro, yet by the time we'd actually signed Casemiro we'd practically ended our pursuit of De Jong. So Casemiro was clearly in his thinking earlier that summer whilst chasing De Jong.
Our pursuit ended in FdJ because he didn't want to come. It's not irrelevant to casemiro.

It does feel a bit daft to sack someone that’s won two trophies in two seasons when it’s been a struggle to win anything since Fergie retired, especially if we do it for a complete Premier League novice like McKenna.

We’ve been horrendous in the league and if it’s still the same, part ways at Christmas.

We only had poor expectations due to the season before, but realistically those players are capable of top 4 finishes.

The injuries are not an excuse, Varane and Martinez struggled in the first two or three weeks of the season because ETH was playing those suicidal tactics. He's changed the system and now they look better, but let's not forget the manager is more to blame than injuries.

I don't see how Tuchel is worse than ETH? Can't United convince a manager like Enrique or Valverde to come over? Conte is available even if he is not what people want. There are managers with a better record than him who are either available or should be contacted.
Tuchel just failed to win ANY trophies with Bayern fecking Munich in their personal farming league, something that I didn't believe could happen in my wildest dreams and you want him to be our manager? How does that make any sense? It seems like your idea is that the grass is always greener on the other side and so long as its someone new, whoever it is, its an improvement. And I disagree on the part those players could get top 4. Could they? Yes. But reliably? I wouldf argue no. I also believe when Ragnick said we need 8 players at least, he was right. The problem is not simply the player's quality when it comes kicking the ball, it also comes down to how reliable they are for selection and their mentality and I think we're sorely lacking in both departments. I used to think that back in the day Ole simply lost the dressing room and the players just didn't want to play for him, but I've come to realize that it's not that - they are just weak minded individuals. SAF worked with way lessers squads and he won consistently. Why? Because even though Buttner, Evans, Cleverley weren't the greatest of players, they had strong minds and a winning attitude. I don't think this squad has that, not the majority of them and I think some time is going to be needed to mold them into title winners. Rashford, for example, is the type of player who has all the skills in the world but simply doesn't have a winner's attitude and I don't think that is ever going to change. On the other hand you have Licha who is the opposite.

It does feel a bit daft to sack someone that’s won two trophies in two seasons when it’s been a struggle to win anything since Fergie retired, especially if we do it for a complete Premier League novice like McKenna.

We’ve been horrendous in the league and if it’s still the same, part ways at Christmas.
Mourinho won two trophies in first season, he still got sacked in his 3rd season in the autumn. LVG won the same trophy and still finished 5th on goal difference and got sacked. Why does ETH get a pass for a trainwreck of a second season in the league and champions league?

Surely nobody thinks he's staying after this?
I think he s a goner too. Just watching how emotional the players were, also in his direction- it's like they knew the team is about to be broken up.

The media before, during and after the game has been absolutely fecked up with putting so much of the focus on his future rather than the game itself. I actually feel terrible now for him.

I've criticized him a lot this season and have wanted to see the back of him, but it's mainly due to his tactics which culminated in us being soundly beaten by mid-table sides. Starting with the Arsenal game, he's played more bodies in midfield and as a result, we've looked much tougher to break down.

None of this is really rocket science. But he's experimented, seen his plans go up in smoke, and instead of going back to basics, blindly persisted with a system doomed to failure until finally putting things right. We've looked inept at times and part of that reason is the way he has set the team up. Contrast the worse games of the season with today. We were much tighter and harder to play through, but even against Luton town, Tahith Chong was picking the ball up, turning and running direct at our defence like peak Lionel Messi. It was because we had a lack of pressure on the ball and were so easy to play against and through. Even the likes of Newport County were able to put us under sustained pressure thanks to there being no defensive strategy other than, 'wait for them to take a shot/make a mistake/give us the ball'.

Based on today, he's won a big trophy, so he will carry on. But we can't let this amazing win also gloss over all the consistently abject performances served up this season and there has to be a clear recruitment policy in place this summer to replace Varane, Casemiro, et al. He's also got to start delegating power over transfers and stop being so stubborn tactically.

@Rightnr has unfortunately fallen down the same flight of stairs four or five times in a row, and accidentally been trampled on by elephants, so he won't be able to respond.
Oh no…. Anyway.
Adnan called me a "great poster". This makes me almost as happy as I was to see United lift the cup!

You're right though (no change there), too many folk are just going out of their way to be miserable when this is a brilliant day.
I’ve now managed to see a semi and a final today, came out on top in both.

Jesus I hate the British media. That press conference was a joke. Basically no mention of the game, purely about his job. I think he showed a massive level of restraint as I know I wouldn’t have been able to keep my cool in that situation.

Should of been a flat “I’ll answer questions about the game, one more about me and conference is over”
Because there is lot of ABUism in media. Just out there to put some spin on everything except a trophy. Today was just horrendous once again. He should have told them to go somewhere and left the room smiling.

I've said now for some time that we should be banning some media from Old Trafford and everybody trying to get some drama, write some stories without source that are named should not be allowed to press conference. Right now, we don't look like big club when our directors accept pretty much bullying of our managers in the media.

Very good tactical setup today and should've been done against the lower teams we've been all at sea with, first half was just brilliant in calmly matching their movements using as much energy as they do and not giving them options, they were stuck playing around their backline and we could easily turn their wide attacks into goal kicks, Pep had to resort to bringing on and offloading to Doku to force us back second half, naturally which everything that has gone on we did have to sit back but in the first half we were very good in midfield finding each other, not wasting it, shorter passes and flicks to attack more dynamically.

We've been pushing too high trying to force things this season, having Hojlund backing into players when we should be unleashing him running at the goal. Hojlund was ace when coming on as well. I think we'd be 4th if we set up better, that's what I thought we'd do with Amra. ETH has stuck to his high transition plan like Emery is stubborn too but for me ETh has produced a rubbish plan that doesn't yield goals, leaves too many gaps and is exhausting. Today was much more than Varane and Martinez, we have great ability to play out of midfield and kill teams with Rashford, Garnacho and Hojlund. Bruno, Amra, Mainoo, and McTom were very adept today and used the ball well. We've given most team this season a field day against us.

It's a tough one, ETH has been indulged too much and we've got poor value, really he should've come to a club better setup two or three years in, naturally he roasted our recruitment but has done as poorly himself but I don't think a manager can be called upon that much, it's a 24/7 job now and we really need many gems/bargains. 3 finals two wins, he's a good manager as seen by his last year at Ajax winning all six games in the CL and beating Amorim easily with high possession and not conceding shots all over.

If he's to stay the flawed transition plan developed end of last season needs to go, we need to be much smarter, in our energy use, and ability to use the ball and not go for the hollywood ball too often and give the ball back and leave huge gaps. You can be excellent compact/adept in midfield, produce blistering attacks with around 40% and dominate the games key areas and make a Pep team look ordinary.

The part in the press conference where he spoke about needing robust players was an obvious point but still interesting to hear it acknowledged. I think Ralf was the last person that mentioned it. We have had massive injury problems but I notice we have some players who just constantly seem available- Garnacho, Dalot, Bruno (missed about two games recently, played all others). Regardless of the next manager, more players like this will be a step in the right direction, especially if we keep playing counter attack football.

Unless pep, ancelotti or klopp want to come then there is nobody that you could guarantee to do better than ETH's track record.

3 Finals. 2 Trophies in 2 seasons.

That presser was a fecking disgrace. The media have run roughshod over us for years now. feck those journo cnts.

dear god, you weren't joking, like a pack of hyena's

Aside from being smug about it, there's nothing "wrong" with it. It's just that he wouldn't be saying this if he was staying. It's a message to other clubs to hire him.

Maybe he doesn't know if he's staying or not?

It's fair game. New owners on the sporting side, new perspectives on how things should be approached and how we're going to rebuild, which is badly needed. If they don't think Ten Hag is the right man for the project they want to build, then it's a fair decision to make. I don't really agree that this season should play that much part in making that decision, unless there's behind the door stuff that indicates it's largely down to the manager and his team. Some birds like it up the arse, some don't, if you want to stick it up the arse then don't go for a woman that doesn't fancy it, that's about it.

I think it's easier for Ten Hag to accept that they don't think he's the one they need for the project they want to see through, rather than blaming it on a shit season.

Train wreck this thread. Be happy guys. We just beat Man City ffs :lol:
The problem is people aren't celebrating the win and keeping it to that scope. Instead they are extrapolating this one game out and saying well we sold keep all these people based on this one game. All the while forgetting about the shit show of a season we just had

We only had poor expectations due to the season before, but realistically those players are capable of top 4 finishes.

The injuries are not an excuse, Varane and Martinez struggled in the first two or three weeks of the season because ETH was playing those suicidal tactics. He's changed the system and now they look better, but let's not forget the manager is more to blame than injuries.

I don't see how Tuchel is worse than ETH? Can't United convince a manager like Enrique or Valverde to come over? Conte is available even if he is not what people want. There are managers with a better record than him who are either available or should be contacted.

Well i dont agree with that. How would Arsenal do if they missed their starting duo for almost the whole year? Liverpool didnt do too well when VVD was out and after he came back from his big injury. Suicide tactics or not, you are going to be better with Varane and Martinez playing than with Maguire and Evans playing. I think the overall strenght of the Premier League is so high at the moment that playing the back up options will cause a big drop in quality and performances.

In my opinion the injuries are a major part as to why this season has been so bad. Could ETH have done better even with the injuries? Probably could but have the injuries made a big impact? They certainly have.

I could live with Tuchel as the next manager. I dont think he is a very exciting option or that games will become much more fun to watch but he is a good manager. Sacked by Chelsea and third in the Bundesliga isnt a great recent record. Getting to the semi final in the CL and only just being knocked out by Real Madrid is a good result though.

The problem is people aren't celebrating the win and keeping it to that scope. Instead they are extrapolating this one game out and saying well we sold keep all these people based on this one game. All the while forgetting about the shit show of a season we just had

But why would you NOT extrapolate off one game? When it’s this one and it feels so good?

Do these trophies show an underlying progression to where we want to be? I am ecstatic that we won and the last couple of season have removed the banter tag we had earned but we need to look at things objectively and realize that he hasn't built to play the football we hired him for and his stubbornness cost us CL football.

Better players and more squad depth will possibly see us earn top four next season, even under him, but this season's regression has to be accounted for. People who blame injuries forget what Wolves did to us in the season opener even though we won.

The media have been cnuts. Concentrate on the game. When it is decided, I am sure INEOS will notify them.

Despite the wonderful performance and tactics today, EtH has made too many repeated mistakes this season and deserves to go IMO. I am not confident he is the right man to get us playing like we should.
Having said that, I have no problem with how he reacted in the post match press conference(s). He deserves to celebrate and to defend himself against what was really a media flogging, with a lot of disrespect shown to him.

Ideally, he finds himself a good European club and we find a manager who can get the team playing more the way a United team should be playing consistently. Wish EtH the best, whatever happens over the summer.

I still can't get my head around Bayern paying £10 million to get Kompany, when Poch is available, and very likely Ten Hag will be too, and neither would cost them anything in compensation, it's not like Kompany has any history with them either.

I still can't get my head around Bayern paying £10 million to get Kompany, when Poch is available, and very likely Ten Hag will be too, and neither would cost them anything in compensation, it's not like Kompany has any history with them either.

I think it is more the case of neither of them wanting to work for Bayern after the way they treated Flick, Nagelsman and Tuchel.

I mean, it goes both ways. Yes, the season has not been good. There are many reasons for that. But today we won the FA Cup and we had a fantastic tactical approach to the game.

Today we celebrate. Personally, I want to see him next season, but regardless of what happens, this is a magical day for our club.

ETH has proven himself to be quite limited during these 2 seasons with us. Same as Poch at Paris and Chelsea.

I think it looks like he's gone. There's no way after today's absolute joy that I can feel remotely happy about that. I can't help but like the guy.

Don't get me wrong, the league campaign in particular has been fecking tragic but I just feel like he'll have learned his lessons and will sort it out for next term. Would appear he's not going to get the chance though.

Status
Not open for further replies.