Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just that. Its the atmosphere around the team, the players and the coach that becomes toxic as feck. Back with Moyes we were told he needed more time. LVG spent a fortune and implemented a cowardly possesion dominating football where we rarely had a shot on target. We were also told Mourinho needed Maguire who later turned out to a shit signing relative to his wage and transfer fee. Same with Ole and now the same with Ten Haag. I just honestly believe we debate for the sake of it because what else are supposed to do on a football forum. Its Man Utd. We've been shit since Fergie left, but our stature as the biggest club in world isn't all that long gone. Going from 3rd to 8th after spending 400 mil would get you sacked at any club let alone Man utd and he will be.

To be honest, United turns shit after Glazers bought the club. Before Glazers, Alex was setting record bids buying players like Rooney, Rio, RVN, Veron and etc. When Glazers came, transfer policy was changed and Alex had to play the like of Giggs, Scholes and etc until they can't run. It ultimately starts with Glazers destroying this club and they now they are trying to restore it.

I think Eric's erratic comments are in line with his uncertainty over his future. I wouldn't look into it too much, I think the sooner this season ends the better the last game of the season couldn't come soon enough.

Hopefully INEOS show some bottle and annunciate within the upcoming week what the intentions are with this manager. Irrespective of being Eth in or out the hierarchy should have given a clear indication of what the intentions are, not journalistic pieces with assumptive writing and the "it's believed United will" nonsense that's been peddled the last few months.

Bayern are perfect for Ten hag , it's no surprise they haven't named a manager yet.

It will be an easy transition , they aren't ingrained to play like a posh stoke city , and they have players who won't have to unlearn posh stoke city tactics in order to play football . They aren't overstocked with limited players , players whose high level is the level a posh stoke city footballing side require .

' Sit deep & try boot it tut best or fastest player ' .

They have footballers , footballers who want to play on the front foot . It'll be a walk in the park for ETH compared to this .

We are so short sighted and dumb . When will people realise that the process is about players ? The shorter the journey , the quicker the process .

The journey from posh stoke city to pep , klopp , you name it style football , is a different journey than front foot football to slightly different front foot football .

If you want more , and don't want to be a posh stoke city , buckle up and ride it . There's no half measures unfortunately . You either decide to be something else , and suffer the consequences whilst it happens , or you carry on being a posh stoke city and try and get top 4 every year in the hope that the change in style will happen seamlessly without trying .

Good luck

Last edited:
So, De Zerbi is out and available. Tuchel is out and available. Those are confirmed.

Amorin is available if you pay the release clause.

Potter is available.

Frank still under contract.

Hoeness not available.

Motta to Juve.

Ten Hag, football gods willing, will be out and available latest after the FA Cup.

Bayern are perfect for Ten hag , it's no surprise they haven't named a manager yet.

It will be an easy transition , they aren't ingrained to play like a posh stoke city , and they have players who won't have to unlearn posh stoke city tactics in order to play football . They aren't overstocked with limited players , players whose high level is the level a posh stoke city footballing side require .

They have footballers , footballers who want to play on the front foot . It'll be a walk in the park for ETH compared to this .

We are so short sighted and dumb . When will people realise that the process is about players ? The shorter the journey , the quicker the process .

The journey from posh stoke city to pep , klopp , you name it style football , is a different journey than front foot football to slightly different front foot football .

If you want more , and don't want to be a posh stoke city , buckle up and ride it . There's no half measures unfortunately . You either decide to be something else , and suffer the consequences whilst it happens , or you carry on being a posh stoke city and try and get top 4 every year in the hope that the change in style will happen seamlessly without trying .

Good luck

So why did Ten Hag sign most of them?

So why did Ten Hag sign most of them?

So that we can't afford to sack him due to FFP. He's playing chess whilst we're playing checkers.

In all seriousness it's funny that he says the squad is in better state than the one that finished 3rd, whilst we sit in 8th. And he blames the squad for being in 8th. But if we humour him, yeah he's right, but so what? He's spent £400m, it would be hard for anybody with an ounce of football knowledge to not make us better in terms of players. But even then, we're not £400m better, and actually play worse football than in his first season and some of the Ole seasons too.

Still taking the piss

''When you look at the results, you would say no.''
''When you look at the performances, you would say no.''
''When you look at the league position, you would say no.''
''When you look at the goal difference, goals scored and goals conceded, you would say no.''
''When you look at the CL campaign, you would say no.''
''When you look at probably no European football of any kind next season, you would say no.''

''But other than all that, yes we are in a better position.''

I think he means the Fetal position.

Does feel like the reporters press him.... seems a bit meek with them

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/cglx778zevro

Does he live in an alternative Universe where we have won the quadruple? I thought tv shows and films are an exaggeration but this guy proves them wrong, he has a delusion of a different level.

He has the standards of Moyes, the toxicity of Jose, the anti anti football of Van Gaal, in no way connect to Manutd like Ole. He is like an amalgamation of the worst of all United managers but praised like he is another coming of Sir Alex.

Need one more season of this, will eventually reset us and we can start fresh again from 2025-26

Good luck

Even if this were true, you would have expected a good manager to have implemented their favoured style of play after two seasons - even if poorly. Within months you could see what Klopp was trying to do and the style he wanted even if it took a couple of seasons to refine.

Last season we saw that progress then Ten Hag changed to a completely different approach this season for some reason. If we are moving away from a posh Stoke City, what are we moving to? Because I have no idea.

His last day ever in this league. Shame it took so long but we’re finally here.

Please god let this be true. I can’t think of not watching United until December if he’s still in charge. I’ve never done this over the past 25 years. He has killed the joy of football in me and for the first time in more than 2 decades I’ve missed few United matches which is basically a cardinal sin for me.

“When you look at the results, you would say no. But we know the reasons behind that

We certainly do Erik, we certainly do.

I would give ETH another year, particularly under this new regime.
But if it's a similar disaster, I would give him another year to try and fix it.

I'd need to get Arsenal fans opinions on this but i'm pretty sure there was a very vocal segment of their crowd that wanted Arteta out after the two 8th place finishes and that it wasn't immediately obvious what his game plan was at times- with Klopp on the other hand it was obvious from day one ("heavy metal football", manic pressing etc). People seem to be rewriting history a bit with Arteta but maybe I'm in the wrong here.

At any rate I've always maintained that if EtH is sacked he can have few complaints at this stage but I keep seeing this 'he has no plan' stuff when there is a plan, it's just a very very risky, almost suicidal plan of overloading the opposition but leaving a lot of space for counters. He said quite clearly in that interview with Neville that he doesn't want to go back to the pragmatism of last year which seems wrong to me, but it's still a plan for the future- just a very stubborn one which will probably cost him his job.

Bit late on this but a few of my friends thought they were awful under Arteta and were desparate for him to be sacked.

I would give ETH another year, particularly under this new regime.
But if it's a similar disaster, I would give him another year to try and fix it.
A new regime is not going to make him a better manager. Unless they take over training and tactics too.

These Arteta comparisons need to stop.

Arsenal was his first job in management at just 37. Mistakes were to be expected.

Ten Hag was 52 when he became our manager. He’d already managed 326 games at Ajax and Utrecht, as well as a Champions League semi-final run that he still seems to be living off. He has enough experience and years in the game to not be making the mistakes he’s making week in, week out.

Who was the last Dutch manager at the absolute pinnacle of football? Van Gaal 25 or 30 years ago? They’re dinosaurs in the modern game, that’s a fact.

It's not our defensive shape that is an issue, it's our transition defense(in fact both transitions are bad but that's besides the point). When we are in our defensive shape there isn't really anything wrong with us but there is something wrong with the way we are positioned when we attack and how we press when we lose possession, which has consequences on our transition defense and the gaps that are created by default.

And yes he knows exactly how to fix it, only a genuinely terrible coach wouldn't or someone that has no clue about Football.

100% he knows.

But your looking at this the wrong way round, you all are.

Eth doesn’t what to fix it, he has told the player's this is how Manchester United should play. If you can't play like this, then look for a new club - outing the players on the football pitch. It's actually the best for Manchester United football club.

Lots of deadwood has gone and more will go, posters on here have been moaning about it for years and we've been moaning about static zombie passing for years, when was the last time you seen that thread?

Ole actually spoke about it on the overlap, there was a moment where he tried to change the team style from counter attacking to possession based, the flipping wheels fell off. Which makes sense right, Maguire is a defensive box player, Bruno is a transition master, Rashford is a willing runner all fits a counter attacking way of playing.

The fact is we can play this way (counter), Eth knows how to play it. he is a professional football manager, but he has the balls to think "feck it, hah" he knows Casemiro and Evens don't have the legs to play 1v1, (by the way 1v1 is defending is the Utd way) this mad Dutch bastard still does it - again saying we play this way.

The transition football is attacking transition football high press, no more than 3 passes before the chance on goal, but with possession based build up. We actually can play this with Casemiro but his passing is worse this season than last.

I'm not sure if he'll be here next season, but I have to give him credit for his unwavering stubbornness and determination, people talk about abuse. This guy has been getting it from every one

Even if this were true, you would have expected a good manager to have implemented their favoured style of play after two seasons - even if poorly. Within months you could see what Klopp was trying to do and the style he wanted even if it took a couple of seasons to refine.

Last season we saw that progress then Ten Hag changed to a completely different approach this season for some reason. If we are moving away from a posh Stoke City, what are we moving to? Because I have no idea.

We all see things a little different. Last season , we started with the intention of ETH football. Ddg put a stop to it after 2 games . Brighton and Brentford . We then more or less played the rest of the season in a lowish block and booted it to Rashford . Our tried and trusted formula .

Klopp did well , but its a different transition .
Rodgers , Mr intensity, and his players , is a better base to start from than posh Tony pulis and his .

Eth has stuck to his guns , forcing his style through this year . You can actually see exactly what it needs to close that hole that everyone including eth sees . That's a good thing . Amrabat actually managed to help close it on his own . With front foot CBs it would help even more.

He can be blamed for his selections , why didn't he drop cas and play Amrabat earlier ? I don't know , their could be politics involved , appearance when fit type guarantees in Cas' contract , ala Ronaldo ?? Who knows

Judging what we've seen as if it is the best we can ever be with this guy is a bit short sighted . What we've seen , is perseverance with a style that is wrong for some of our players , but right for the club as a whole . The latter is more important in the long run imo .

Players make a huge difference .

100% he knows.

Eth doesn’t what to fix it, he has told the player's this is how Manchester United should play. If you can't play like this, then look for a new club - outing the players on the football pitch. It's actually the best for Manchester United football club.
“If you can’t play the style of play that leaves unprecedented gaps in the middle of the pitch, leaves you running up and down the pitch all game, and causes muscle injuries, and finally makes you look like the same quality of player that Coventry, Newport County, Luton and Burnley employ, get out the club.”

Sounds a bit silly.

100% he knows.

Lots of deadwood has gone and more will go, posters on here have been moaning about it for years and we've been moaning about static zombie passing for years, when was the last time you seen that thread?

Ole actually spoke about it on the overlap, there was a moment where he tried to change the team style from counter attacking to possession based, the flipping wheels fell off. Which makes sense right, Maguire is a defensive box player, Bruno is a transition master, Rashford is a willing runner all fits a counter attacking way of playing.

The fact is we can play this way (counter), Eth knows how to play it. he is a professional football manager, but he has the balls to think "feck it, hah" he knows Casemiro and Evens don't have the legs to play 1v1, (by the way 1v1 is defending is the Utd way) this mad Dutch bastard still does it - again saying we play this way.

The transition football is attacking transition football high press, no more than 3 passes before the chance on goal, but with possession based build up. We actually can play this with Casemiro but his passing is worse this season than last.

I'm not sure if he'll be here next season, but I have to give him credit for his unwavering stubbornness and determination, people talk about abuse. This guy has been getting it from every one
If his system was indeed a valid system at all it would work with players that are better quality than the players he had access to in the Dutch league and it would work in a league that wasn’t as low in quality outside the top 4 as the Dutch league. Anyone can high press the Go Ahead Eagles into making a mistake and giving you the ball on the edge of their box.

Ten Hag needed his system to work this season because his entire reputation hangs on it. He’s extremely lucky we’ve had the injuries we’ve had otherwise he’d have no excuses to hide behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.