Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we need to overreact. Ten Hag was partially brought in to change the culture and attitude of the team, and although it seems like he's failing there I think we're in a much better position than 2 years ago.

We've been shocking on the pitch, and had some terrible injuries, but with the addition of INEOS and a DoF I think we should stick it out with Ten Hag. The focus should be on supporting him find the right players with the right attitude - you can tell he's under resourced there just by the fact he went for Ajax/Dutch players that aren't good enough (besides Martinez).

If we can make 2 or 3 buys that are going to be starters, and players that just good people rather than shit houses or trouble makers, then we can start an actual rebuild from there. We've bought too many cnuts over the years.
"We've been shocking on the pitch but should stick with this coach". I just don't understand this. He went for players that aren't good enough and that's somehow said in his defense. It seems we want to create this environment for him that's so perfect that he doesn't even need to do or be responsible for anything.

Yeah, agree. I was wondering how recent it was, old clips are pretty meaningless, true.
Somebody said februrary? Still relevant if that's the case. If he refused to openly back the manager then, I can't imagine much has changed until now.

We are probably talking about the same things. Our shape when we press high just seem off. So many times the oppos beat our press and has so much space to attack. But even when we are in our own half, in our more normal shape to defend our goal, our shape and ideas to defend as a team just feels off. At times you see our front 5-6 players cuddle up in the middle, leaving loads of space to their full backs or wingers, when they, the wide players, then get the ball, one or two of our players then run out to pressure them, but since their starting point is 20m away we give them time to handle the ball and find a teammate. So our players seem to do a lot of running without the ball that does not add a lot. At least it looks like it to me.
These last two games have looked a bit different and we seem to make it harder for our oppo to find space to attack.

I agree with your observation but there are three different things in what you describe. The first one is the pressing scheme which is just bad and part of transition defence, the second one is the shape which is a narrow defensive shape, it's relatively common and the third point is that in these narrow shapes you use a sliding defence, you move the entire block toward the ball and you often also use hybrid marking, the field is divided in boxes and depending on the position of the ball and the player that enters your zone, you either play zonal marking or man marking.

Don't really want to be seen as an ETH defender or somebody who is advocating to keep him but some of the arguments here aren't really strong. Isn't it obvious that a new playstyle will/would take some time to bed in?
It is perfectly fair if you want to defend him, i think he is a smarter coach then this season will make you think. I kind of assume that he is getting objectives from the guys in charge of what he should aim for with this team.
I assume that the general idea is to start to change our style more longterm already starting this season. And things like this doesn’t happen over night, fully agree. But if teams are running straight through you most games, you need to adapt and tweak. You have to see more improvements over the season than we have. We seem to get worse as time goes by, which can not be what you want to see

He's had two years to implement his system. If he couldn't get it done even with a poor structure, well the reality is that the new one isn't going to miraculously supply him with Salahs and De Bruynes either. Especially when the team isn't even in place yet. We'll most likely go for the obvious signings, like Olise. So when people say they want to see what he can do under the new structure, it will probably be disappointing and we'll end up questioning Ineos and the new signings when the football still isn't good.

It is perfectly fair if you want to defend him, i think he is a smarter coach then this season will make you think. I kind of assume that he is getting objectives from the guys in charge of what he should aim for with this team.
I assume that the general idea is to start to change our style more longterm already starting this season. And things like this doesn’t happen over night, fully agree. But if teams are running straight through you most games, you need to adapt and tweak. You have to see more improvements over the season than we have. We seem to get worse as time goes by, which can not be what you want to see

It's not just that. Its the atmosphere around the team, the players and the coach that becomes toxic as feck. Back with Moyes we were told he needed more time. LVG spent a fortune and implemented a cowardly possesion dominating football where we rarely had a shot on target. We were also told Mourinho needed Maguire who later turned out to a shit signing relative to his wage and transfer fee. Same with Ole and now the same with Ten Haag. I just honestly believe we debate for the sake of it because what else are supposed to do on a football forum. Its Man Utd. We've been shit since Fergie left, but our stature as the biggest club in world isn't all that long gone. Going from 3rd to 8th after spending 400 mil would get you sacked at any club let alone Man utd and he will be.

I agree with everything you say.

Don't want to be seen as a defender because that coat doesn't really suit me. I criticised the small amount of progress as early as last season, so I am definitely critical of him. I just think there is more to the question whether to let him go than "how much criticism does he deserve". There is nothing won if we get rid of him and replace him with somebody we don't really know whether he is capable of turning it around, who will also need some time to bed in and who will face many of the same challenges ETH already faced. There's only so much you can do in a certain amount of time, we exchanged the responsible people higher up, switching the manager as well will only add to the "chaos" that then has to be brought in order. Not that this isn't possible, the question is, is it worth the huzzle only to bring in Southgate or Potter. To me it isn't. If another manager was available, I'd rethink my position.

is it worth the huzzle only to bring in Southgate or Potter. To me it isn't. If another manager was available, I'd rethink my position.

Tuchel, Flick, Amorim, McKenna and De Zerbi, and maybe Xavi, are all available and actively courting offers from other teams......

He didn’t sound like somewhat that thought he was getting sacked the other night.

Maybe they will give him the final year of his contract to see if he can do anything maybe with a squad refresh of sorts that he does not control and it also saves Ineos paying out a fee to sack him.

A year on all the Ineos team will be in place and a defined plan and hopefully a well planned replacement lined up.

And why would he, even if he suspects he'll put a brave face on. Moyes did similar.

Tuchel, Flick, Amorim, McKenna and De Zerbi, and maybe Xavi, are all available and actively courting offers from other teams......
You are right. Still nobody that, to me (!!!) really fills me with too much confidence. But yes, I can see people who see that differently would be less cautious. Amorim is a pretty dark horse isn't he? Would be as much of a gamble as ETH has been. McKenna, yeah - like the idea but also could be way too soon. De Zerbi the same. Xavi as well.

For me its not a question of who we could attract or not, we are not ready yet to go looking, and if we do we are likely to attract those whose careers are going in the wrong direction.

The new senior management team being assembly by Sir Jim are not functioning yet as a unit, some are still on 'garden leave', some are still bedding in and some have not arrived yet, it's the wrong time to go shopping for a permanent replacement for ETH.
Stick with him for now, if things do go worse then put Maclaren in charge, until the top team start to function as a unit, otherwise it's 'rinse and repeat' once again.

If nows the wrong time to be honest I don't see how October or November would be better.

For me its not a question of who we could attract or not, we are not ready yet to go looking, and if we do we are likely to attract those whose careers are going in the wrong direction.

The new senior management team being assembly by Sir Jim are not functioning yet as a unit, some are still on 'garden leave', some are still bedding in and some have not arrived yet, it's the wrong time to go shopping for a permanent replacement for ETH.
Stick with him for now, if things do go worse then put Maclaren in charge, until the top team start to function as a unit, otherwise it's 'rinse and repeat' once again.

Agree, same with transfers we shouldn't sign anyone else until the team have had a year or two to settle in. Wrong time to go shopping, if things get worse we can bring back Scholes.

Basically don't be Mourinho and a massive cnut. Man Utd are bigger than any manager and managers should know their place in that.

I think he's clearly attempted to play a more pro-active style of play. It's fallen to pieces due to the injuries and circumstances around our season as well as some tactical naivety from Ten Hag. I think he was absolutely bang on in his interview with Neville though. You can either keep playing pragmatic counter-attacking football and get some short term results but never really build a truly great team. Or you can rip off the bandaid and commit to a vision even if it means using young players who are there for their potential above their current abilities, and even if it will badly expose those that arent suited. Over time, you replace those who are ill-suited, and you can make significant strides forward.

The issue isn’t “sticking with proactive football and the vision”. The issue is the plan to do this sucks and is poorly coached.

So it doesn't work?
Not for these players. I don't think may systems do, apart from a pragmatic approach. He should have just tweaked it that way and taken wider strides when he had the players to do so. That's on him.

"We've been shocking on the pitch but should stick with this coach". I just don't understand this. He went for players that aren't good enough and that's somehow said in his defense. It seems we want to create this environment for him that's so perfect that he doesn't even need to do or be responsible for anything.

Somebody said februrary? Still relevant if that's the case. If he refused to openly back the manager then, I can't imagine much has changed until now.
Fingers crossed!

They probably decided to sack him a long time ago. His transfers, his systems, his man management, his stubbornness ... basically, he has failed in all major aspects of football management. This isn't going to change in a few months. Or ever.

I hope so too, but not really sure it’s going to happen, given eth’s positivity.

He doesn’t deserve a chance now, he seems a bit shaken and I think he might make is an entertaining team, but not a winning one.

He just doesn’t seem like a great communicator and
I don't even find Ten Hags comments convincing that he's staying. Everybody seems to be skirting round the issue at the moment, which makes me think it's been agreed that he'll be leaving. LVG knew months in advance that he was going and he was saying similar things.

When you take any emotion or bias out of the situation, it's a situation where he very likely to be sacked or leave "mutually". Ineos will want their own guy, and the predecessors guy has just put up one of the worst seasons in the clubs history. It's very easy for them to sack him and I think it'd be more controversial to keep him now.

That probably means he’s deluded.

I don’t think he should be staying anyways, he seems to have crumbled with his management as well as communication when things did not go according to plan.

If he could just rally the troops when chips were down, we should be comfortably finishing 5th and should have pushed Villa for 4th, given the expected Spurs run.

We have injuries, but that doesn’t mask that we are performing below par, and way below expected standards.

I think it's because he is shit on the ball and we try to play it out from the back. He'd be a liability in possession - there is no hiding place there for him. I don't know how Scotland play, but maybe it works for them. I think they played a back three, do they not?
I'm not saying I think he'd be a good option there regular. Just better than Casemiro as an emergency option surely. Casemiro has been a liability with and without possession

Definitely, missed the word evidence but have updated now.

So is there any evidence that “the atmosphere around the team, the players and the coach that becomes toxic as feck” right now?

Have you ever heard of the site Redcafe?

I'm not saying I think he'd be a good option there regular. Just better than Casemiro as an emergency option surely. Casemiro has been a liability with and without possession

I know Casemiro's form has gone through the floor. I still wouldn't want McTominay anywhere else than far up the pitch if at all necessary so he cannot be a passenger where we simply cannot afford them.

So, all of a sudden De zerbi has become available same with Allegri, Xavi has decided to leave so has Tuchel and Motta technically is still free. Not to mention Graham Potter is there and so is Hansi Flick. Some good options some decent options and after all these options on the table if Ten hag is still here then I don’t know what to make of Ineos.

So, all of a sudden De zerbi has become available same with Allegri, Xavi has decided to leave so has Tuchel and Motta technically is still free. Not to mention Graham Potter is there and so is Hansi Flick. Some good options some decent options and after all these options on the table if Ten hag is still here then I don’t know what to make of Ineos.

There were always options.

Isn't it obvious that a new playstyle will/would take some time to bed in?

Yes. But the amount of time isn't really that long. For the most part, managers impose a playstyle and get results within a year. Two, tops.

Yeah, it is nonsense saying that there aren’t many options. Unless people are waiting for Pep, Klopp or Ancelotti.

Yes. But the amount of time isn't really that long. For the most part, managers impose a playstyle and get results within a year. Two, tops.
I agree. Last year ETH seemingly decided against rocking the boat too much, mostly continued with Ole ball with some changes in personel. Got praise from the majority of the fanbase. This year he made the decision to rock the boat. Didn't go very well initially, then came the injuries so, I am sure you agree, the time for playstyle to be imposed increases. And here we are.

I said it multiple times, I am not clinging on ETH at all. No idea if he is the right person to take us forward. But I kind of think that the majority of the fanbase expects something that is next to impossible - win the race while trying to fix some broken parts and updating the operating system. Pretty sure all the names that were named in the last 10 posts would have struggled there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.