Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most exciting thing for me having had ETH for a few weeks now…he just doesn’t look at all burdened by the expectation. He looks like he knows and trusts his own methods so outside noise becomes irrelevant. He ultimately seems to give the players (despite shouting at them sometimes) confidence to play.

The most exciting thing for me having had ETH for a few weeks now…he just doesn’t look at all burdened by the expectation. He looks like he knows and trusts his own methods so outside noise becomes irrelevant. He ultimately seems to give the players (despite shouting at them sometimes) confidence to play.

Yes. He seems to exude confidence in his ability and his methods.
And done properly, that becomes contagious.

You can hear him in the training video around the 6:45 mark yelling to/at Zidane....That's fuking rubbish

Must be annoying and very hard to train in front of fans… how on earth can you concentrate with kids screaming your name all the time :lol: Bet the coaches come out of the session with sore throat.

Must be annoying and very hard to train in front of fans… how on earth can you concentrate with kids screaming your name all the time :lol: Bet the coaches come out of the session with sore throat.

I went as part of a school trip to watch the Madrid Galacticos train, and we spent the whole session asking each player to give us a wave.
Must have pissed them right off!

I went as part of a school trip to watch the Madrid Galacticos train, and we spent the whole session asking each player to give us a wave.
Must have pissed them right off!
Bet it was a good experience though… can understand all the screaming from kids as it’s once in a lifetime opportunity but can’t be good for the players

Erik on our attacking players:
"You see they connect really well together and I think when you see that, you are lucky as a manager. The team is lucky. We have weapons. We have to improve that every day and develop."

Brutal.

"You see they connect really well together and I think when you see that, you are lucky as a manager. The team is lucky. We have weapons. We have to improve that every day and develop."

Brutal.
:lol:

Brutal.

We got rid of a couple of weapons this summer that’s for sure.

Joking aside, Rashford, Sancho & Martial do really seem to like each other and enjoy playing together, which can only be great news.

ETH on the youngsters:

On Garner:
"James Garner just integrated in training this week so I haven't seen him, I don't have a full impression, I want to see more and then we will make decisions,”

On Hannibal:
“Hannibal plays some minutes now, I think he did quite well in training as well, he makes a good impression... (It was noted that at this point he freaked the watching media out by pausing in silence with this odd expression for 2 mins :drool:) " Obviously a joke heh?

On the youngsters in general:
"I think they do well but I also know the standards in the Premier League and European football are high.
“It's always about 'are they ready to contribute, are they conscious of their situations'. I have to approve and I will take my decisions.
“They have potential some of them, that is quite clear."

Whether this is the case or not, it does feel like ETH was interviewed and appointed on the back of fan sentiment. Unless all reports of Poch being favourite were a wind up from journalists.

I'm absolutely confident this man will be our best appointment post Sir Alex.

I don’t recall any reliable journalists saying poch was the favourite?

It was all about ETH for ages

to some the dream was greenwood (awful person), sancho, martial
Man Greenwood really fecked us over. We wouldn't be having this striker and attackers issue if he was still part of this team. So much innate talent and potential wasted and pissed away. When was the last time we'd seen a talent like Greenwood, a bonafide ambidextrous player with insane accuracy and lethality. Sigh, what could have been.

Man Greenwood really fecked us over. We wouldn't be having this striker and attackers issue if he was still part of this team. So much innate talent and potential wasted and pissed away. When was the last time we'd seen a talent like Greenwood, a bonafide ambidextrous player with insane accuracy and lethality. Sigh, what could have been.
It genuinely does feel like the club is cursed a little bit sometimes in the last few years.

We finally get a potentially world class homegrown talent to build our future on, and he throws it away before it barely gets going.

ETH would have loved him i'm sure.

many pundits like Neville were championing Poch, the common theme was he had 'premier league experience'

that’s just a pundit giving their opinion though

I don’t remember Poch ever being the favourite with journalists

And going by reports since he signed, ETH was always the clubs top choice after the first interview

It genuinely does feel like the club is cursed a little bit sometimes in the last few years.

We finally get a potentially world class homegrown talent to build our future on, and he throws it away before it barely gets going.

ETH would have loved him i'm sure.
Cursed, or more likely just rudderless.

We've lacked direction from the top down. No consistency in management or support from higher up to oversee and manage the youngsters as they break through.

For example, Fergie would've been aware of Greenwood's tendencies and either managed it out of him or shipped him out!

We've lacked direction from the top down. No consistency in management or support from higher up to oversee and manage the youngsters as they break through.

For example, Fergie would've been aware of Greenwood's tendencies and either managed it out of him or shipped him out!
Good thing none of Fergie's legends had to step down from their position as Wales coach due to similar reasons

Cmon :lol:

More like in Fergies age it would have been kept very private and swept under the carpet.

In this day and age of social media there is no secrets. If his GF didn't have a big instagram following it would have never been found out.

At the end of the day a manager can only do so much.

I do agree with the club obviously not being in the best of hands under Woodward, but at the same time we've had a lot of bad luck at crucial moments.

Good that he mentioned we need more signings if we plan to compete. One more midfielder and attacker is crucial.

More like in Fergies age it would have been kept very private and swept under the carpet.

In this day and age of social media there is no secrets. If his GF didn't have a big instagram following it would have never been found out.

I do agree with the club obviously not being in the best of hands under Woodward, but at the same time we've had a lot of bad luck at crucial moments.
The club made its own luck during that time. With stupid signings and lack of care for the players, such as renewing Herrera's contract by post! Last minute, with no conversation. It shows the club did not care enough about the players or have any understanding of their needs.

You only need to look at what Fergie did with Giggs and Sharpe to know he would manage thise situations and nip things in the bud.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...anchester-united-lee-sharpe-ferguson-20446477

In the 90s it wouldn't have been on social media it would've leaked to the newspapers.

This answer is gold:

Q:
You've shown a lot of support for Harry, kept him as captain, spoke well about him. Can you understand the negative reaction he gets even over here? We've seen it at home, in an England game, but it's happening over here as well - do you understand it?
A:
"I don't think it's a matter to find out if I can understand it, it's about how we can change it, the team and by Harry himself performing. That's what we're working on and that's the only focus."

That's a winner's answer. The answer of someone who's all about taking responsibility over what you have control of.

to some the dream was greenwood (awful person), sancho, martial
MMM (Mason, Marcus, Martial) was the thing in 2020. It was hard to see how Sancho was going to fit into that system.

I remember United’s front five being Morgan, McIlroy, Macari, McCalliog, Martin. The MEN declared it “The M-way to victory”. We got relagated…

This answer is gold:

That's a winner's answer. The answer of someone who's all about taking responsibility over what you have control of.
Agreed.

I think some managers would go for the deflection tactic and say he's been great, ignore criticism etc.

ETH just says it straight up, play better, don't make mistakes and you won't be target. I'm sure Harry himself knows that anyway, but it's certainly a test of his character.

MMM (Mason, Marcus, Martial) was the thing in 2020. It was hard to see how Sancho was going to fit into that system.

I remember United’s front five being Morgan, McIlroy, Macari, McCalliog, Martin. The MEN declared it “The M-way to victory”. We got relagated…

Good that he mentioned we need more signings if we plan to compete. One more midfielder and attacker is crucial.
Yeah its good to hear. I'd say by now he knows who isn't up to the standards required as seen whole squad up close on tour and training.

Given everyone a chance now so hofully see few moved on.

Brilliant presser by the Boss. He’s also becoming more confident speaking in English as his answers are taking a longer form/are better constructed than they were at the start.

What I love is he doesn’t shirk anything and often gives answers that seem to perfectly demonstrate his clarity of purpose, his authoritative nature and his supportive side in one go.

rival fans and tbh my own brain are saying that I shouldn’t jump the gun but I honestly think we’ve got it right this time.

Of all the many low points last season and feck me there were many, that Sunday morning when that broke was the worst. I felt worse hearing that than I did after being hammered 5-0 at home by Liverpool.

What a waste of talent. I'd prefer if he squandered it through drink/booze. But to throw it all away so stupidly at 19/20 is just heartbreaking.

Good thing none of Fergie's legends had to step down from their position as Wales coach due to similar reasons

True. Some people think Fergie could have prevented anything bad for ever happening to United, including players personal businesses they do away from him. We had headcases in Fergie's time as well, sometimes it's unavoidable.

Fergie had stopped managing him at that point. Maybe if he hadn’t things would have been different.

Doubt that. There were rumours from previous relationships also. There were a lot of people he couldn't sort out. I even doubt Gazza's life would have ended up much different if he had signed for us instead. He was not some miracle worker curing people of their demons.

This answer is gold:

Yeah perfect answer that. No bullshit nannying of players just a steel focus on success.

I think if Maguire struggles again he'll be out of the team captain or not. I just don't see ETH allowing the captaincy to get in the way of success.

True. In years past the Greenwood's incident would have been handled on the downlow with a lot of hush hush. I mean even the girl's father was siding with Greenwood on this whole issue despite what he'd done to his daughter. Just tells you how easily this could have been hushed and swept under the rug if there were no social media and undisputable proof and evidences of what Greenwood had done.

I would imagine in years past before social media, this issue would have been brought up by the girl, club and Greenwood deny, then they settle it with the girl and her family, especially given how eager the father had been trying to exonerate Greenwood. He'd take the settlement money and everyone move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.