Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Glazers and board hiding behind a wave of positivity again and hoping we won't notice. It's sad that a sizeable portion of the fanbase won't. Protests to drive these owners out should continue.
Yeah this is my worry. I reckon they are realising they can get away with it whilst we're all lapping up positive stories about ETH. Thus far, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, City, Spurs have all spent more and done better business than us.

Any excuse to tighten the purse strings and the Glazers are already there.

Indeed, the more you look back the more astonishing how mismanaged we have been across many years now. While the LVG football was incredibly dull and replacing him when we did was the correct decision (although it was handled horrendously), we were a very well coached team, too coached if possible, we couldn't attack without trying to score a perfect goal which led to us not scoring at all half the time. We kept possession well and as such didn't concede many goals, despite not having particularly good defenders. We needed a coach coming in to build on the areas we were strong at and let the players off the leash somewhat in attacking areas, rather than a manager coming in and ripping it up and starting from scratch.

Yeah, hopefully we have learnt our lessons now.

Well, I’ve got to hand it to him.. whatever he’s done with this team, in the short time he’s been here, is nothing short of incredible.
Of course, it’s only pre-season, and trust me, I’m in no way getting carried away, I still think we’ll have a bumpy ride through the season to come, but wow.. at least what we’re finally seeing, is a team that appears to know what they’re intending to do on a football pitch, and that is a million miles away from last season. And probably the last 5.
If he can build on this and he’s given the resources to replace who he needs to, I think we’ll finally have a team we can get behind, the players look genuinely enthused to be following orders within a structure.. and I think we’ll finally stop seeing the value of our players reducing with each passing game..
no more vibes fc!!

Agreed. Glazers and board hiding behind a wave of positivity again and hoping we won't notice. It's sad that a sizeable portion of the fanbase won't. Protests to drive these owners out should continue.
Yeah this is my worry. I reckon they are realising they can get away with it whilst we're all lapping up positive stories about ETH. Thus far, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, City, Spurs have all spent more and done better business than us.

Any excuse to tighten the purse strings and the Glazers are already there.

When Ten Hag is publicly saying the squad needs strengthening if you want a successful season, then mentioning that he’s spoken to the Glazers and they have told him they want him to make United successful, I would try not to worry.

This myth about them not spending any money needs to settle. They might not spend £250m per window like some might like but they do spend.

Let’s not forget we aren’t City or PSG

It's not a choice between the two though so that point is irrelevant.

It's great we've got a proper coach in but we should make sure we maximise his impact. Given the last decade id hate to finally have a good coach and it fall apart from poor transfer dealings. That said even if we have a poor window and don't get FDJ there's other windows.

So are you expecting him to challenge for the title if we sign a few more players then?

When Ten Hag is publicly saying the squad needs strengthening if you want a successful season, then mentioning that he’s spoken to the Glazers and they have told him they want him to make United successful, I would try not to worry.

This myth about them not spending any money needs to settle. They might not spend £250m per window like some might like but they do spend.

Glazers need to feed some corn to milk the golden egg.. especially in the era who are fed by black magic water.

Actually our revenue is on par with PSG, and about 80m euros behind City. Seeing as clubs can only spend 5m more than they generate over a 3 year period (FFP rules), we have similar amounts to spend in theory. The problem is, we don't spend anyway near as much of our revenue as the other two.

That's down to the priorities of the owners. This graphic shows what each PL club could spend (net) this summer under FFP.

49370079-0-image-a-2_1634655221549.jpg

Actually our revenue is on par with PSG, and about 80m euros behind City. Seeing as clubs can only spend 5m more than they generate over a 3 year period (FFP rules), we have similar amounts to spend in theory. The problem is, we don't spend anyway near as much of our revenue as the other two.

That's down to the priorities of the owners.

Of course we could spend more but the Glazers won’t. That shouldn’t be a new thing to people though, we all know that.

They will spend money though so to suggest they will turn off the tap right now it’s a bit silly as when have they done that before to a new manager and at this amount?

Of course we could spend more but the Glazers won’t. That shouldn’t be a new thing to people though, we all know that.

They will spend money though so to suggest they will turn off the tap right now it’s a bit silly as when have they done that before to a new manager and at this amount?
Yeah I know they won't. It was the fact you said we arent City or PSG, when actually, under FFP we have more capacity to spend than City.

Look at his press conference from today.....still pointing out that we are badly in need to attacking options and finding the right player. You can see he's pushing the board to bring in a couple more players

Indeed, the more you look back the more astonishing how mismanaged we have been across many years now. While the LVG football was incredibly dull and replacing him when we did was the correct decision (although it was handled horrendously), we were a very well coached team, too coached if possible, we couldn't attack without trying to score a perfect goal which led to us not scoring at all half the time. We kept possession well and as such didn't concede many goals, despite not having particularly good defenders. We needed a coach coming in to build on the areas we were strong at and let the players off the leash somewhat in attacking areas, rather than a manager coming in and ripping it up and starting from scratch.
This won’t be popular, but I reckon that Jose’s first and best season was largely a success because we stuck to the LvG blueprint but brought in better attacking players (Pogba and Zlatan).

So are you expecting him to challenge for the title if we sign a few more players then?

No but I can see us having a poor season that he struggles to fight back from if we don't at least get another midfielder in.

Missing out on CL again would be really damaging. I'm convinced ETH is our best bet post Fergie so I don't want him wasted on trash that has failed us time and again. It's a lot to ask him to work wonders with this team, it's setting him up for a fall.

We got rid of a couple of weapons this summer that’s for sure.

Joking aside, Rashford, Sancho & Martial do really seem to like each other and enjoy playing together, which can only be great news.
If we can develop that front 3… that’s lethal!

I see people posting that they are trying to keep their expectations in check but I still can't help but feel people are getting carried away a bit.

All these articles are well and good but tbh we have seen these type of articles with every new manager. With Ole it was a breath of fresh air with freedom for the players etc.

This is just journalist fluff.

Let's see how we do when the real games start.

My expectations are actually very low. I just want us trying to play ETH style. As long as we see progress in that, I am happy.

That's down to the priorities of the owners. This graphic shows what each PL club could spend (net) this summer under FFP.

49370079-0-image-a-2_1634655221549.jpg
How are Man City lower than Brighton, Brentford and Norwich? Still won't get in trouble despite outspending them though I'm sure.

Precisely. I think it was worse under the Edwards.

We sound like hysterical or ignorant fans whenever we bitch about the Glazers not spending. They are fine when it comes to money. 17 other clubs in the league would be choking on their coffee if they thought the Glazers were stingy.

Our issue has been always been on how badly we spent the money and not getting the ££ to spend.

More promising signs in first half but the second was a reality check. We can't go into such a congested season with so little squad depth, it's just setting up for failure as soon as injuries hit.

We've finally got the right general but we're sending him out to war with an army of farmers and children. The window has been a joke.

One 15 minute spell when 2-0 up on that pitch in those conditions doesn’t change what has been an incredibly positive pre-season. We need to add a few more quality signings but we knew that anyway. He looks the real deal to me.

Hopefully this result forces the board to get the transfers in quickly.

Worked in Helm's Deep
Indeed and he may well yet perform miracles this season but it would've been nice for us actually back our new manager and get his targets in early so he could have a proper pre-season with them.

One 15 minute spell when 2-0 up on that pitch in those conditions doesn’t change what has been an incredibly positive pre-season. We need to add a few more quality signings but we knew that anyway. He looks the real deal to me.
We need at least one more in midfield, one more in attack (maybe two if Ronaldo departs).

Glazers are pure scum. Get out of our club please you family of parasites!

Youth teams have now got to play like the first team, senior academy players not around the first team have to go on loan.
Think van Gaal did something like that as well, or am I misremembering?

Its pre-season guys, relax. The key thing for ETH is to determine which tactical approach will work best with these players and the overall fitness and improvement levels of the players. He will know which players to play when its time for the competitive fixtures.

I think he knows he’s gone. Like Bailly, Telles and a few others. We need to get players out to get who we need in.
Do you really see a market for all of them? Especially for AWB I think we'd expect a substantial fee considering what we paid for him

Status
Not open for further replies.