Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
This answer is gold:

That's a winner's answer. The answer of someone who's all about taking responsibility over what you have control of.
Loved that when I heard it. The people who said he was awkward in his press conferences are either Feyenoord fans or seeing something we aren’t because that answer was great.

Don't want to get too carried away but he's been fantastic so far and there really doesn't seem to be anything to dislike about him. Really excited for this season.

I'm really excited about ETH. Looks like proper coach/manager.

One thing I love about ETH so far is that he seems to be bollocking the players in games and training for the exact same things the fans get irritated about - fecking press, fecking pass, fecking run beyond, fecking speed things up etc. I really hope those days of watching an entire sluggish first half play out in slow motion with a manager just watching it all happen are gone.

True. In years past the Greenwood's incident would have been handled on the downlow with a lot of hush hush. I mean even the girl's father was siding with Greenwood on this whole issue despite what he'd done to his daughter. Just tells you how easily this could have been hushed and swept under the rug if there were no social media and undisputable proof and evidences of what Greenwood had done.

I would imagine in years past before social media, this issue would have been brought up by the girl, club and Greenwood deny, then they settle it with the girl and her family, especially given how eager the father had been trying to exonerate Greenwood. He'd take the settlement money and everyone move on.
So thank goodness times have changed eh?

My favourite thing about him is that he's an actual, normal, manager.

He's not a caricature, he's not "one of the boys", he's not a self-destructive ego maniac, he's just an actual football manager.

The most refreshing thing about Ten Hag is that he seems to be in control of the whole club, from having the ability to cancel media duties, to having the respect of senior players. You definitely couldn’t feel that with any manager past Fergie.

This is what allows him to put responsibility on the likes of Maguire to change fan perception instead of trying to deflect.

He seems to always be in control, and everything he says is said with total clarity.

Not sure if they're impressed because they're used to passive managers catching up with netflix on the iPad during games, or because Ten Hag really is that much of a meticulous freak. Or perhaps both.

Either way, I'm delighted with the appointment so far.

Can't believe that vibes, passion and good mood era is over. I am so confident for next season and delighted what i am seeing. Tactics, details, system, discipline.....that is what i was missing for 3 fecking years

We've definitely got the right manager at last. Now fecking back him you yank parasites and stop forcing him to make do with McFred.

Not sure if they're impressed because they're used to passive managers catching up with netflix on the iPad during games, or because Ten Hag really is that much of a meticulous freak. Or perhaps both.

Erik ten Savant. :drool:

If ETH can make Martial a 30 goals/season striker then he is God, nothing less.

Fingers crossed. I have burnt so many times that I am keeping low expectations this time. Anything positive is a bonus.

Can't believe that vibes, passion and good mood era is over. I am so confident for next season and delighted what i am seeing. Tactics, details, system, discipline.....that is what i was missing for 3 fecking years

3 years? Try 6 years.

Enjoyed the Pre-Villa press conference today. I know it's early on and results will undoubtedly define how he is viewed by the fanbase - but I'm very happy with everything I've seen from him so far.

He is overly meticulous. Steve McClaren has also mentioned about his attention to detail in one of the interviews.

The key thing will still be ETH's tactical approach rather than the training. Training helps with the conditioning of player's fitness and overall team understanding but what determines success is the manager's know-how on where to position the players based on their performance. Ancelotti's training methods are quite lax yet he is excellent at knowing how to position players in the right tactical approach.

If ETH can make Martial a 30 goals/season striker then he is God, nothing less.

Fingers crossed. I have burnt so many times that I am keeping low expectations this time. Anything positive is a bonus.

Anthony Martial is underestimated here. He is excellent at dribbling, holding up the play, linking up and shooting in and out of the box. He is very good at one on one situations but needs to work more on his decision making in the final third. Sometimes he misses cause he spends too much time trying to make space in the final third and overly focused on trying to score a beautiful goal.

The problem with Martial is fitness and confidence issues rather than talent. If ETH can keep him in check, 30 goals is certainly not a problem.

3 :) .
I know what are you implying and that is just not true. Your Jose hate goes to far in this case. To think that manager who won over 20 trophies did that on "good mood vibes" is laughable

What's laughable is assuming tactics won't be outdated. Did you see how the players were on the pitch? Every week same moaning in match day thread, that players can't string 2 passes together and "do we even train, we look like bunch of 11 never played together".

Ole was just a penalty kick away from winning trophy, does that mean we were tactical and detailed in preparation?

My Jose hate or your Ole hate + Jose love who knows. If anyone says we looked like a team that was set up well tactically under Jose then they should stop whatever they are smoking.

Last edited:
What's laughable is tactics won't be outdated. Did you see how the players were on the pitch? Every week same moaning in match day thread, that players can't string 2 passes together and "do we even train, we look like bunch of 11 never played together".

Ole was just a penalty kick away from winning trophy, does that mean we were tactical and detailed in preparation?

My Jose hate or your Ole hate + Jose love who knows. If anyone says we looked like a team that was set up well tactically under Jose then they should stop whatever they are smoking.
I wasn't talking about how good his tactics was. Yes, it was outdated, i agree on that. I am talking about coaching approach.
Ffs, Ole himself said that tactics are meh, it is all about passion. And players (according to leaks) were shocked by the lack of coaching.

I'm really excited about ETH. Looks like proper coach/manager.

Yeah its a nice feeling isn't it.

If United are wise with transfers the team could quickly become very together under ETH.

Remove the drama of Ronaldo and solve the Maguire/Rashford issue...and suddenly Manchester United will feel a lot more like a football club under the manager.

Have high hopes for him. But we really should not forget this disaster of a window in which we've only added one definite starter, just because of a raft of stories about ETH's discipline and and training methods. Propaganda machine is in full flow again.

I wasn't talking about how good his tactics was. Yes, it was outdated, i agree on that. I am talking about coaching approach.
Ffs, Ole himself said that tactics are meh, it is all about passion. And players (according to leaks) were shocked by the lack of coaching.

So you agree there wasnt attention to details?

What exactly was Jose's coaching approach? There was one article posted on reddit that Jose stopped being a training ground coach from around 2014.

I don't know why this should be Ole vs Jose, no one said Ole is/was tactical genius, it's about tactical set up, attention to details since Van Gaal was sacked and yes this is the first time since Van Gaal we are hearing these stories.

Step in right direction finally after Van Gaal.

Have high hopes for him. But we really should not forget this disaster of a window in which we've only added one definite starter, just because of a raft of stories about ETH's discipline and and training methods. Propaganda machine is in full flow again.
Agreed. Glazers and board hiding behind a wave of positivity again and hoping we won't notice. It's sad that a sizeable portion of the fanbase won't. Protests to drive these owners out should continue.

Absolutely. A shame he was “only” at Utrecht when LvG was sacked; so much pain and suffering would have been avoided had he (or someone like him) been appointed then.

Yeah we should have appointed someone who sets up team in proactive and attacking style, instead we ended up appointing Jose who is exact opposite of that.

We’ve had “great windows” and been utterly shite, last year most were wanking themselves crazy over the Summer window.
I’m excited because the last decade has taught me that top management is more important than shiny new toys.

We’ve had “great windows” and been utterly shite, last year most were wanking themselves crazy over the Summer window.
I’m excited because the last decade has taught me that top management is more important than shiny new toys.

Yeah, for some reason coach who talks about transfers is seen as honest bloke who is taking on evil Glazers, whereas coach who talks about actual coaching and wanting to bring the best out of the squad is seen as yes man.

Anyways looks like we will sign few more players.

Last edited:

It's not a choice between the two though so that point is irrelevant.

It's great we've got a proper coach in but we should make sure we maximise his impact. Given the last decade id hate to finally have a good coach and it fall apart from poor transfer dealings. That said even if we have a poor window and don't get FDJ there's other windows.

Sooo, lets never spend money again? What about having McFred as only two senior holding midfielders?

Yeah we should have appointed someone who sets up team in proactive and attacking style, instead we ended up appointing Jose who is exact opposite of that.
Indeed, the more you look back the more astonishing how mismanaged we have been across many years now. While the LVG football was incredibly dull and replacing him when we did was the correct decision (although it was handled horrendously), we were a very well coached team, too coached if possible, we couldn't attack without trying to score a perfect goal which led to us not scoring at all half the time. We kept possession well and as such didn't concede many goals, despite not having particularly good defenders. We needed a coach coming in to build on the areas we were strong at and let the players off the leash somewhat in attacking areas, rather than a manager coming in and ripping it up and starting from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.