Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea and it doesn't particularly matter at this point because some of those players are still here and a general precedent has been set and it's part of the overall rot the Glazers have brought upon the club one way or another. Regardless of who the manager is, departures will be as important as arrivals in the transfer window.

It's a nonsense point mate. It isn't the same squad.

Mount has been injured, I accept McT was preferred in certain games but it was more as a striker impact since we lacked impetus infront of goal.

That however does not change the fact that Ten Hag wanted to move him on because he's a limited player. Where that would be reinvested who knows, the point is important to note however, McTominay is a limited player that managers have been obligated to start too often.

Ten Hag did make him available yes. But now he regularly prefers him over 2-3 of his own midfield signings. So if playing players the quality of Scott McTominay is the downfall of Ten Hag it will be self inflicted.

And that’s also his fault for running them into the ground in every competition without making changes. Can’t you remember the moaning last season of him starting his first team in games that were really not needed
Yeah and I agreed with it, but if the results suffered as a result dipping further into a thin squad then the moaning would have turned there instead.

It's a nonsense point mate. It isn't the same squad.
The point is the precedent of not working hard and being allowed to stay at the club was set starting with Mourinho’s sacking and continued to this day. Understand the point before you call it nonsense mate.

Yeah and I agreed with it, but if the results suffered as a result dipping further into a thin squad then the moaning would have turned there instead.
I said at the time I thought it was naive and probably silly to go for every trophy in his first season when there was no need and we didn’t have the squad for it. Hence him running his best eleven into the ground and leaving no time to train tactics, training was basically recovery work and then the next game. This was a handy excuse at the end of last season and I gave him the benefit of the doubt that our football was shit because lack of time on the training ground and so many games. Since that time nothing has improved.

Ten Hag did make him available yes. But now he regularly prefers him over 2-3 of his own midfield signings. So if playing players the quality of Scott McTominay is the downfall of Ten Hag it will be self inflicted.
Mount hasn’t been available since October and Eriksen, a free transfer that was brilliant until his injury, can barely get around the pitch anymore. Next.

Mount hasn’t been available since October and Eriksen, a free transfer that was brilliant until his injury, can barely get around the pitch anymore. Next.

Well it was the start of December but Eriksen and Amrabat have been available, but Ten Hag prefers Scott.

Despite the the injuries, I still hate the fact that the team plays with no control whatsoever, I mean we have Rashford, Bruno, Casemiro, Dalot, Varane and Onana, that's more than enough supposed quality to help us dominate plus Garnacho and Mainoo who are excellent, even when Hojlund was around we couldn't control a game hence why we concede too many chances, teams know this and play on it.

Surely the coaching staff is teaching them something, and surely one would think ETH is drilling some sort of tactical acumen and control. If not, wth is going on in training? Has there been any leaks/reports of his training techniques or lack thereof? It's mind-boggling but also wonder if some of this falls on the players not being up to par for top tier football and yet there are a handful of truly great players in the side. None of it makes any sense to me outside ETH may not be up to par for English football. Have seen others say plenty of Dutch managers have failed in England.

How is it self inflicted if he wanted to sell him? A good manager gets on with it and milks the worth in the meantime.

Hence why I said "consistently".

In one off seasons we can, but as we've seen this season, all it takes is a few injuries to key players and we're back to Scott McTominay.
Again don't see why we couldn't finish top 4 consistently with some decent additions and a good coach

The point is the precedent of not working hard and being allowed to stay at the club was set starting with Mourinho’s sacking and continued to this day. Understand the point before you call it nonsense mate.

I don't think you even understand what you're trying to say mate. There's no ongoing conspiracy/effort to undermine a series of managers across several squads over the best part of a decade.

There's been many problems at the club post SAF. But ultimately our struggles boil down to too many average/poor players and managers who weren't/aren't good enough.

How is it self inflicted if he wanted to sell him? A good manager gets on with it and milks the worth in the meantime.

Jesus, because he keeps playing him (ahead of his own signings) despite the fact he offers the square route of feck all.

Anyway, did you find those Ten Hag quotes you were referring to yesterday mate?

I don't think you even understand what you're trying to say mate. There's no ongoing conspiracy/effort to undermine a series of managers across several squads over the best part of a decade.

There's been many problems at the club post SAF. But ultimately our struggles boil down to too many average/poor players and managers who weren't/aren't good enough.

If it’s a conspiracy then apparently Van Gaal, Ragnik and recently Ole are all conspiracy theorists.

If it’s a conspiracy then apparently Van Gaal, Ragnik and recently Ole are all conspiracy theorists.

They're also all failed Manchester United managers.

Again I don't think you actually know what point you're trying to make.

They're also all failed Manchester United managers.

Again I don't think you actually know what point you're trying to make.
I’ll do something uncharacteristically nice and let you quit while you’re only somewhat behind. You’re completely lost.

That is true but its not black and white as you put it. Its the culture that has developed over the period of last decade. Players who have achieved feck all signed for huge huge wages, getting renewals while achieving nothing of note at this club, becoming posyer boys while they struggle doing the basics right. This eventually creates an atmosphere where everyone is just too comfortable in their role.

We have to change this and being ruthless with underperformers is the only way. We haven't done any of that lately. We only let players go when their contract ends.

That's understandable mate if you spend any amount of time on here reading Ten Hag threads as there's folk on here who'd have us believe we've had the worst injury crisis in the history of football this season.

https://www.givemesport.com/every-premier-league-team-ranked-injuries-suffered/

https://www.planetfootball.com/prem...table-23-24-man-utd-chelsea-arsenal-liverpool

https://onefootball.com/de/news/eve...-have-suffered-from-injuries-in-2324-38857417
So we do have the worst injury record. Funny, you made it seem like we all wrong.

There is a nice thread by BenitoStarr about this.

Ten Hag vs Ole is two bald men fighting over a comb - except Ole isn’t follicle deficient and is a club legend. They're both under-qualified and under-performing managers, but at least I can understand people rocking with Ole.

The attachment - for lack of a better descriptor - to Ten Hag is so bizarre to me at times. It's like people thought he was or built him up to be something he wasn't, and are seemingly now struggling to climb down from it, so instead they do the opposite and entrench themselves further.

That is true but its not black and white as you put it. Its the culture that has developed over the period of last decade. Players who have achieved feck all signed for huge huge wages, getting renewals while achieving nothing of note at this club, becoming posyer boys while they struggle doing the basics right. This eventually creates an atmosphere where everyone is just too comfortable in their role.

We have to change this and being ruthless with underperformers is the only way. We haven't done any of that lately. We only let players go when their contract ends.
Agreed.

I went back and looked at the starting lineups of all our defeats in the league this season and the vast majority of them have 5 or more players in the starting line up that were signed by other managers and have been here for five seasons or more (i didn't count Evans as he was an EtH signing). The defeat to Newcastle had EIGHT (!!!) starting players that have been here for 5 years or more. Why are we surprised by failure at this point? I'd argue we've had two catastrophic seasons since Fergie left- 18/19 and 21-22, we're now on course for a third with this season. We can look at the managers-Jose/Ole/Ralf/EtH but I think we have to look at the players as well, and they get way too much of an easy ride in this thread.

I'm not saying that this absolves ten Hag, that he doesn't deserve the sack etc. I'm saying there has been such a poor culture of failure since SAF left and as much as the managers are to blame a lot should also go on player power and overrated players. Martial is finally leaving next season, Dalot has actually massively improved in the last two seasons so he gets a free pass but we need to have a look at players like Maguire, Lindelof, Rashford, Mctominay, Shaw, AwB, and even Bruno if he doesn't fit in with the new manager's vision.

To feck with selling Bruno to rely on Mount, if we sell Bruno we would need to sign a replacement

If not to replace Bruno, it was truly madness to buy Mount. Absent clinical evidence, I am reluctant to accuse ten Hag of madness.

Don't know about Shaw but yes, Martinez was noticeably struggling in the opening games, so I agree with that. We didn't even see much of his typical style of passing which i remember at the time was weird.

Yes, but Shaw never looked fit to me either. It could just be bad luck, and with Martinez it really was back luck twice, but the long string of injuries is deeply concerning.

Nope. You're struggling to justify these signings.

Onana has been better the last few games, but better than terrible is a million miles from great. He cost us CL qualification single handedly and still has a long, long way to go.

"Mount barely has played" - observational skills 10/10 for this one. Meaningless statement.

Amrabat is a loan, yes well done - brilliantly deduced. A terrible and egregiously expensive loan that is a far bigger waste of money than a permanent signing.

Malacia is not a capable backup because he hasn't been available all season.

Eriksen and Casemiro have not played well since February 2023 and have no future at the club.

Groundhog day posters just keep appearing
Nope, still struggling.

Onana is doing well in PL, stats don‘t lie. His ball playing is great too.

So an injured player is a bad signing? I guess Martinez and Hojlund are bad signings as well in your book.

Casemiro and Eriksen weren‘t signed for the future obviously.

We could not afford another midfielder: Amrabat was signed at the last minute. Heard of FFP?

You are like the guys who bring up Weghorst as a terrible ‚signing‘.

Agreed.

I went back and looked at the starting lineups of all our defeats in the league this season and the vast majority of them have 5 or more players in the starting line up that were signed by other managers and have been here for five seasons or more (i didn't count Evans as he was an EtH signing). The defeat to Newcastle had EIGHT (!!!) starting players that have been here for 5 years or more. Why are we surprised by failure at this point? I'd argue we've had two catastrophic seasons since Fergie left- 18/19 and 21-22, we're now on course for a third with this season. We can look at the managers-Jose/Ole/Ralf/EtH but I think we have to look at the players as well, and they get way too much of an easy ride in this thread.

I'm not saying that this absolves ten Hag, that he doesn't deserve the sack etc. I'm saying there has been such a poor culture of failure since SAF left and as much as the managers are to blame a lot should also go on player power and overrated players. Martial is finally leaving next season, Dalot has actually massively improved in the last two seasons so he gets a free pass but we need to have a look at players like Maguire, Lindelof, Rashford, Mctominay, Shaw, AwB, and even Bruno if he doesn't fit in with the new manager's vision.
I'm also not absolving ETH of any blame. I was among the first ones to start criticizing his management and tactics. However I have now realized that we are never going to win anything if note with these core group of players like Maguire, McTominay, Rashford, Bruno, Lindelof, Shaw, AwB and lets add ETH signing Antony there as well.

I dont want to see these players get another chance under a new manager. I'm done with these for good. Cant even do simple stuff properly. Cant hold the ball for more than 2 seconds, cant make simple passes. Bruno treats the ball like a ticking timebomb and the less we talk about Rashford, the better. We will only see good performance from him once his contract enters into the final year.

We have to get rid of the players and the manager, I want to get rid of the players first. We can deal with the manager later.

For reference, here are the players who have been here the longest (five years or more).

• Dalot (Jose)
  • Lindelof (Jose)
  • Mctominay (Jose)
  • Rashford (LVG)
  • Martial (LVG)
  • Shaw (LVG)
  • Maguire (Ole)
  • AwB (Ole)
  • Bruno (Ole)
We also had Fred and DDG last season from the long-term survivor culture the club has had that EtH used last season.

People might argue some of these aren't starters but they're occupying key positions in the squad and they're getting games- our only reserve striker is Martial FFS, he of the '19 goals in 4 years' fame. As I posted earlier, the majority of our defeats this season has included at least five of these players starting. The fewest is four starting (four of the eleven defeats), the most was eight of them starting. The manager has to be criticized and if he loses his job it's fair enough at this point, but jesus, yet again we're heading for ANOTHER catastrophic season by United standards with some of these guys again. Other than Dalot, there are huge question marks on all of those players for me and I hope INEOS take a serious look at the record of some of these guys. The majority of them are probably really nice guys but they're just sadly not that reliable or even that good!

Nope, still struggling.

Onana is doing well in PL, stats don‘t lie. His ball playing is great too.

So an injured player is a bad signing? I guess Martinez and Hojlund are bad signings as well in your book.

Casemiro and Eriksen weren‘t signed for the future obviously.

We could not afford another midfielder: Amrabat was signed at the last minute. Heard of FFP?

You are like the guys who bring up Weghorst as a terrible ‚signing‘.

Oh great, another clueless drive-by post. What are you even trying to argue here? Do you even understand yourself? Most of ETH's drone army are dying on the hill that he had no influence on transfers, but there's at least the acceptance we've made mostly terrible signings. But you seem to want to die on the hill that his signings were good...? :lol:

If you still dont understand why Mount and Amrabat were abysmal signings regardless of injuries, regardless of loans, I have no time for you.

Oh great, another clueless drive-by post. What are you even trying to argue here? Do you even understand yourself? Most of ETH's drone army are dying on the hill that he had no influence on transfers, but there's at least the acceptance we've made mostly terrible signings. But you seem to want to die on the hill that his signings were good...? :lol:

If you still dont understand why Mount and Amrabat were abysmal signings regardless of injuries, regardless of loans, I have no time for you.
Dude don't waste your time with these loony acolytes. Once their guy is sacked you won't see them again probably.

He's obviously not been helped with the shit happening above him or injuries but that's nothing to do with playing absolute shite 99% of the time. Every club has injuries and shit to deal with it's just that we don't see it as much because ours is in front of us.
Making game changing subs too late or in the opponents favour, not giving Amad a chance at all despite blocking his loan and persistently playing his favourites even though they've been shite all season and having a fecking abyss between defence and attack and basically the same amount of shots from the opposition every game win or lose as what looks like the worst team in PL history while scoring half the goals we should be scoring.

The fact that some deranged "fans" are still trying to say he's good or even great is fecking lunacy.

I'm pretty sure nobody in here blames him for everything but I'm positive some absolve him of everything for god knows what reason.
It's ok to be wrong. Not everyone is a perfect fit or even a good one and sometimes people don't live up to expectations, that's fine, they'll find their level.
Anthony is shite and Erik should have had at least a clue about this but no he's the fastest and most unstoppable footballer ever seen yet most of the time he looks like he's a make a wish winner. This is a massive red flag.

Post Sir Alex we have waited too long to get rid of managers and we're doing it again. Personally he should have gone months ago but we've yet again waited too long and it's cost us top 4/5

It's quite sensible to assess EtH with the new structure in place rather than take unneccesary punts on the likes of de Zerbi or Potter.

Ineos will make any such decision based on the quality of replacement. This is where we can get an idea of their worth.

'Intermediaries' selling their wares fills me with a nameless dread, especially if Ineos are so gullible to hire on an ideological basis.

The fact that people go all personal on eachother, with insults, is lunacy.

If you can't handle a different point of view, without getting angry, just get out.

Jesus, one would think that your futures and lives depend on valdiating your opinion and negating somebody else's in fecking internet forum.
How old are you, people?

Post Sir Alex we have waited too long to get rid of managers and we're doing it again. Personally he should have gone months ago but we've yet again waited too long and it's cost us top 4/5

To be replaced by whom exactly?

The last thing we need is another flat, uninspiring interim boss leading to a summer manager hunt, especially with no discernible upgrade in quality available.

Goals Conceded
  1. Arsenal 24
  2. Liverpool 26
  3. Manchester City 28
  4. Manchester United 39, Tottenham 39, Everton 39
So we’ve got the 4th best defence despite 24 different back 4s being played and our two best defenders out injured for the majority of the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.