Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed, no one's denying he did well last season. But trying to make out he was turning water into wine by leading the club with the 4th biggest wage bill in England to a 3rd place finish is a bit much.
It’s worse than that. United have the highest wage bill.

The bolded is very strange to me. With previous managers I was able to understand why some people clung on to them whether I found their reasoning silly or not. With the likes of Mourinho and LVG, they had long CVs and rich history of winning at the highest level to back them up, so folks believing they were able to offer more beyond their then under performances, I could see the logic. With Ole there was an element of sentimentality. A huge United hero whom folks found hard to just dismiss and were hoping he'd turn things around. Even with Moyes, there was a sense that some people trying to honor SAF's wish of being patient with the next manager whom he personally picked.

With Ten Hag, I don't quite get this need to stick for the guy given there is nothing to hold on to. The biggest draw about him coming to United and what got most people exited was the idea of him transforming this United team into a modern top team, where we see us have this modern approach. The allure of Ajax playing style was the draw, he was supposed to bring it here yet he's failed to do that and has verbalized that he isn't interested in doing so anymore. He's not winning us games and has failed at implementing the type of football he was mainly brought here for. Then what's the point of sticking with the guy?
I wrote something similar a while back. In fact, someone expresses this sentiment every few pages in this thread now. Can one of ETH’s fans respond. I’m not trolling, I’m genuinely curious what it is that makes you believe he’s the right choice for United.

I'll be the first to say I thought the players couldn't be arsed because they took liberties with Ole and that's why he wasn't right for the job as opposed to anything football related, where he had good ideas and knew how to play to his players' strengths. Now we're seeing the same thing after it looked like we turned a corner last season before the fixture congestion finally took its tole. The problem we have now is they wouldn't put a shift in for Mourinho because he was mean to them, they wouldn't put a shift in for Ole because he was too nice, and now we're probably going on a third manager being sacked for the same reason eventually. Most of the same players will be here for number 4.

How many players are left from the Jose era again?

I'm glad, as a fanbase, we're finally at a place where we agree that uninspiring 2nd and 3rd place finishes with a massive wage bill, really isn't anything overly impressive.

I’m not buying the injuries excuse. We have 3 starters missing . There has always been injuries and there will be injuries next season
also. It’s the fact we don’t have any sort of idea what he’s trying to do out there, the players themselves are made of glass and they can’t simple 12 yard passes. So I’d imagine training must be a shitshow.

That’s clearly a load of Bollox :lol: Casemiro/ Rashford /Martial and Varane’s weekly wage must made up three quarters of Liverpool’s squad

Might well be I don't know for sure. But either way with our wage bill we should be finishing top 4 minimum.

Yeah we've been poor for a while now. This is what people keep ignoring.

Last 42 games in the league, our GD is a +2. We're a plainly average side.

The funny part is that this ignore the underlying metrics that state we've been very lucky this season. Pretty sure we're still 13th in xPTs.
The fact that the very worst stat is in those last 42 PL games we’ve scored 56 Goals that’s an average of 1.33 goals per game which means teams have found out how easy it is to stop United scoring. Everything until recent was always down the left side, we have been useless at set piece and corners even with Physical CB’s like Varane, Evans and Maguire plus units like Hojlund and McTominay. Imagine watching 42 games to see 56 goals and 4 in only two games, once against Chelsea and once against Wolves. Take those eight away and you have 46 goals from 40 games, and fans still want to defend this moron!

ETH has tried his 4-1-2-3 with a defence that sits 5 yards in front of the GK, a single DM maybe 10 yards in front of them and then the other 5 players 60 yards in front and wonder why he’s losing so many games or why his midfield and attacking players are so tired. He’s absolutely clueless and I’m ok with coming 8th to 10th for the first time in United PL history so ETH is exposed as the fraud he is, at best second rate, at worst stubborn PE Coach more so than Ole ever was ?

Because you didn't expect it to be so high? Yup.

Er, no it was a rhetorical question because I knew we only had 6 players from the Jose era.

So it's a bit ridiculous for someone to claim the same players could get Mourinho and Ten Hag sacked 6 years apart.

I know, it was a rhetorical question mate.

To what end?

Jose got binned in 2018, yet Scott McTominay, who has arguably never been good enough for us, is still here in 2024 and has made the sixth most appearances for us in the league this season.

I want a new manager next season, but surely you see the issue with that?

Course ya did, chief.

Sorry Robbie, do you genuinely think a Man Utd fan of 30+ years (with internet access no less) wouldn't know or be able to check how many players have been here for 6 years?

Genuinely?

To what end?

Jose got binned in 2018, yet Scott McTominay, who has arguably never been good enough for us, is still here in 2024 and has made the sixth most appearances for us in the league this season.

I want a new manager next season, but surely you see the issue with that?

To highlight the ridiculousness of the claim.

Jose loved Scott, Ten Hag seems to love him as well.

Quite sure Ten Hag tried to sell him to West Ham.

Quite sure he's one of the first names on the team sheet this season and usually first off the bench if he doesn't start. Often preferred ahead of Eriksen, Mount and Amrabat. 3 Ten Hag signings.

Quite sure he's one of the first names on the team sheet this season. Often preferred ahead of Eriksen, Mount and Amrabat. 3 Ten Hag signings.

So it was all made up that we were trying to sell him in the summer?

How many players are left from the Jose era again?
No idea and it doesn't particularly matter at this point because some of those players are still here and a general precedent has been set and it's part of the overall rot the Glazers have brought upon the club one way or another. Regardless of who the manager is, departures will be as important as arrivals in the transfer window.

Quite sure he's one of the first names on the team sheet this season and usually first off the bench if he doesn't start. Often preferred ahead of Eriksen, Mount and Amrabat. 3 Ten Hag signings.
Mount has been injured, I accept McT was preferred in certain games but it was more as a striker impact since we lacked impetus infront of goal.

That however does not change the fact that Ten Hag wanted to move him on because he's a limited player. Where that would be reinvested who knows, the point is important to note however, McTominay is a limited player that managers have been obligated to start too often.

It’s worse than that. United have the highest wage bill.
No they don’t on the recent report this year, City were first, Chelsea second, Liverpool 3rd and United 4th

Chelsea are spending 79% of revenue with a €465m annual wage bill, City was €488m, Liverpool €430m and United had dropped to €380m these are the facts look through the link and click on the team. Arsenal and spurs are exceptional 51% and 46%

https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pag.../articles/deloitte-football-money-league.html

But it’s disingenuous to suggest that people wanting a change in manager are lumping all the issues on him and and are after a quick fix.
No it’s not, that’s exactly what is happening. Because of how well Erik did last season people were genuinely expecting a tilt at the title this season and now it’s all fallen apart they have turned on the manager. There is no context for injuries, off field issues, takeover and hierarchy issues - these are all just seen as excuses for a manager who is failing. It’s pathetic in all honesty.

Quite sure Ten Hag tried to sell him to West Ham.
He did. Work ethic was never the issue but like Maguire, he doesn't have the right traits to play in a system that requires quick movement of the ball between the lines. Not as a midfielder at least. Not that why they're going on about Mount and Eriksen being ETH signings when one has been unavailable 90% of the season and the other lost what little mobility he had to play center midfield after his injury. The Eriksen signing was an absolute coup until he got hurt.

Tbh I can see us hiring Potter in the summer and firing him by February.
Redcafe will be lots of fun in this scenario!

This season has been bad, but this thread is trainwreck on another level.

I wouldnt be totally against us squeezing Potter and Southgate hiring and firings into one season if possible.

Just to get them out the way permanently.

Only assuming Ineos are clueless and rate the pair of them as viable options of course.

So we're more affected than every team above us? Gotcha.
Every team above us on that list is below us in the league table. That list also only takes number of players into account and not their place in the squad. Martinez, Varane, Casemiro, Shaw, and Hoijland all missed significant time. I'll be generous and leave out Mainoo because that would be with the benefit of hindsight, but at this point in time it's safe to say he would have made a difference. Can't add Mount to that list either if we're being fair because he's an unkown.

Every team above us on that list is below us in the league table. That list also only takes number of players into account and not their place in the squad. Martinez, Varane, Casemiro, Shaw, and Hoijland all missed significant time. I'll be generous and leave out Mainoo because that would be with the benefit of hindsight, but at this point in time it's safe to say he would have made a difference. Can't add Mount to that list either if we're being fair because he's an unkown.

By "above us" I was referring to the actual league table.

I've already commented somewhere on the lack of wider context to that table.

His players played midweek fixtures every week for almost 6 months consecutively after some meaningless international tournament the players don't really care about took place. According to reports the players are human.
And that’s also his fault for running them into the ground in every competition without making changes. Can’t you remember the moaning last season of him starting his first team in games that were really not needed

Despite the the injuries, I still hate the fact that the team plays with no control whatsoever, I mean we have Rashford, Bruno, Casemiro, Dalot, Varane and Onana, that's more than enough supposed quality to help us dominate plus Garnacho and Mainoo who are excellent, even when Hojlund was around we couldn't control a game hence why we concede too many chances, teams know this and play on it.
Most ETH supporters seem to gloss over this. We’ve got enough quality to make a difference but we aren’t

Status
Not open for further replies.