Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I don’t think Kane would be much better the way we play

I do think Kane would have turned here into Alexis Sanchez alright. We're a graveyard for most players.

That said, I'm not blaming the kid for our bad form. I'm just saying he can still go anyway, nothing guaranteed he'll turn "great". In fact, the more time passes, the more it looks the opposite.

Paying that much money for some kid who can go either way seems stupid to me.

Last edited:
The amount of garbage he brought in, while selling better players for peanuts. Coupled with his depressing “style” of football, yes definitely he was the worst.
He won us a cup and last season wasn't as depressing as people make out.

Ole nosedived in form after he got his permanent contract. I've never seen worse football from us in my life as I did under Ole at that point, and then once stadiums reopened. Our longest trophy drought was also under him.

Honestly he was the worst by a country mile. Say what you want about ten hag but he doesn't get thumped 4-0 by sides bottom of the league.

I’m no longer convinced ETH is the man for the job but I’m totally against sacking him. Why? We will simply repeat the same mistakes.

We can’t afford to keep replacing half the team with new players every time we change manager. We can’t afford to keep changing our style of play. And sacking the manager will just mean the next manager a year down the line will suffer the same outcome.

We have had some good managers now. They can’t all consistently follow the same trajectory and it always be their fault.

For me, our footballing structure is broken. And we must fix that first. We need a proper strategy. What do we want this team to play like? We need a proper scouting team who are laser focused only on bringing in players who fit that strategy. And then, once we have all that, we can start worrying about who our manager should be. Because only then will we at least know what type of manager we want, have the support around him, and players who hopefully already fit his vision; although of course he will want to make tweaks. But tweaks is much easier than fundamentally trying to change what we are doing.

Until we fix that first we are doomed whoever we bring in. We will have pockets of success but will never be good consistently.

Not sacking him and by this rate, finishing 8th-10th will mean that the club has the same ambition as the players.

What players did ETH change and we regret selling? Do we believe that outside 3-4 players from the current squad will any of the others be missed?

What style of play can't be changed? Do we have any style of play?

What good managers did we have? Moyes? Ole? LVG? Mou? What did they do after they left us?

Footballing structure is broken, yes, that's why he have hired always the wrong manager and signed the wrong players, with 2-3 exceptions.

I was always supportive of ETH and will be while he is our manager, as I was with all our previous managers, but I can’t protect him because we can all agree that whatever eleven players of our squad you put out on the field you should get a win against Bournemouth, especially at home. And we lost by three goals which is shocking.

Not saying that we don’t have overpaid players who are pretty average and that our philosophy caused some players getting big contracts too easily giving their motivation a big question mark, but I think that most players look lost and discouraged on the field due to inability to follow/understand tactics and that is down to manager and coaching.

The decision making and confidence is so bad in our team at the moment, probably one of the worst in the league, and it can be partly down to our inconsistent performances this season but it also looks like they are not sure what to do when they are on the field.

As I said, we can question our players abilities, but at the end of the day it’s up to coaching to drill all phases of the game in the certain system you want to play to improve decision making in your team because when you have too many players with uncertainties, that is a systematic problem rather than individual.

More often it looks to me that an XY player has found himself in unfamiliar and/or uncomfortable circumstances and, of course, any decent opponent will punish you.

Where ETH is also failing is his mission to be the best team in terms of transition, but so far this season we are one of the worst in the league, especially when it comes to defensive transition.

The sad true is that I don't think sacking manager after manager will improve our record and restore our reputation - we are currently in a bad place unfortunately and it has to start with serious takeover first.

The amount of garbage he brought in, while selling better players for peanuts. Coupled with his depressing “style” of football, yes definitely he was the worst.

I get the frustration - but I think these two points are both unfair to a degree. We have signed some good players. Last year they worked - this year less so, but most of them have been injured. We have also played some really good football under ETH - not always, but at times.

ETH was boasting that friends told him it was an impossible job, but he never listens to others. ETH is cock sure he is a world-class manager and he can succeed where lesser men are afraid even to try!

For now, he is just concentrating on breaking records.

Not enough is being said about his post match comments that the team are not good enough to be consistent. If he thinks that will illicit a positive response from these players, he is so wrong. I honestly cannot see him turning this around. We have been mostly terrible under his regime, there was a three or four month period last season that was really good, but he has been unable to recapture that. It is bad enough he is incapable of beating a top half team away from home, but now he is losing badly to lower half opposition at home. He will not be manager next season and the following months will simply be a long goodbye.

He's not going to last here, too many chinks in the armour and he's tactically outdone on a consistent basis. He's a mid tier manager, did well in parts last season and has failed to build on it.

I don't think he's a bad manager but he's not at the level to take the club forward. Foresight should see the end of his position this season irrespective.

I can follow this up to a point but OGS and Jose were criticised for playing park the bus or counter play. Now we have a coach playing much more modern and hes getting very erratic results. With this currrent squad, what do you want or expect? Back to park the bus, result coach? He would get sacked within a few weeks and in game would get demolish.

At least he is getting more honest about where the current man united squad is at.

""

Asked if his current squad could achieve the consistency required of an elite team, Ten Hag admitted the answer was negative.

"As a squad, we are not good enough to be consistent," he said.

"I'm annoyed, disappointed, definitely. I expected something different. The way we started was no good. It was poor."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67672460

For me, he lost me when he decided to play long ball football during November. Ironically, that won him manager of the month, but for me that proved that he didn't actually have a plan. I don't think the squad is anywhere near as bad as this. I also don't think it need park the bus football. Worse squads in the league play far better football than we do. When fans start to let go of the fact that every manager coming in knows exactly what he's doing, they'll see that the managers we've had haven't actually been good.

Jose and Ole are a bit different for me. Jose already had a reputation for not playing free flowing football. He struggled and has been struggling to adapt to the modern game, so he gave us the best he had tactically, and as a club, we knew this wasn't the direction we wanted to head in. Plus, imo, Jose got sacked more for his behaviour than simply team performances. He was calling out the board for not getting him Perisic and Maguire. Jose always seems to think more about himself than the team, which is what ultimately led to his failure.

Ole didn't have the tactical nous, and as a club we knew that. Fans expected our coaches, who were also relatively unqualified, to help him set up the team. In addition, Ole didn't have a strong team coming in. We were starting Pereira, Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Mctominay, Fred, Maguire, Lindelof, AWB, Shaw and DDG; with Dan James and Brandon Williams as our first subs. That wasn't a good team on paper and in hindsight, with fans coming to terms with the fact that Mourinho was right on Martial, it looks near terrible. He didn't have Pogba available to him for the majority of his tenure. We HAD to park the bus with that team because even on paper, it was terrible. Yes, eventually we got Cavani, Bruno and Greenwood into the team.

Fans are angry at the squad at the moment, but there's no way people can compare this current squad to that 19-20 or 15-16 squads United have had. We currently have an Bruno, Rashford, Hojlund, Casemiro, Eriksen, Varane, Licha, Shaw, AWB and Onana with Garnacho, Mainoo, Amrabat, Mount and Antony stepping in. It's not perfect, but this is a much better team and should be producing much better football

It works. It won't work with a YT shorts player, an invisible midfielder and a no.10.

His complete disregard of setting up a solid midfield will be the end of him.

He needs to accept that he doesn't have the players for it.
Go back to a Double pivot, Mainoo and Amrabat until Casemiro is back. Ensure stability and take it from there...
You can't be conceding 3 against Bournemouth at home.
Chelsea were by far the worst team we faced but even they had a few very good chances.
It's just not working Erik...

You still have people defending it. It’s December and he’s spent more time injured than he has on the pitch. Joke of a decision.

are they?

Its up there with one of the worst transfers we’ve done. We’ve had a load of high profile stinkers like Sancho, Pogba, Di Maria but at least they played. Mount’s barely had 5 starts.

I hope somehow next season he turns it around but its been a shockingly bad transfer.

This isn’t about not having the right players etc. I’d be thinking of sacking the manager after a 3-0 home defeat to Bournemouth if I was the Everton owner, let alone the fecking Manchester United owner.

I don’t care how many players are out injured or if new signings are needed, there is more than enough talent and resources at the club not to lose 3-0 at home to fecking Bournemouth.

He should be sacked immediately and without question. This sort of shit would never be tolerated at a proper big club. We have to be ruthless. How hard is it to set up a team not to get hammered at home by Bournemouth? I genuinely believe, without question, I could have managed this game and gotten a better result with zero managerial experience. He’s telling his midfielders to abandon their posts and just surge up front and left us routinely wide open. It’s beyond a joke.

You’d get a better result putting 4 guys in defence and saying “defend”, three guys in midfield and saying “do midfieldery things”, and three guys up front and say “shoot”. Because we aren’t even doing the basics, at all. We are a complete fecking shambles. The tactics are a disgrace. And it’s plain and obvious for all to see.

Not sacking him and by this rate, finishing 8th-10th will mean that the club has the same ambition as the players.

I'm not against sacking him at this point, but I do think the club and the fans need to lower their expectations in the short-term when a new manager comes in.

City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Newcastle are gunning for the CL spots, Spurs too (although I've a feeling they're going to slide a bit now Kane's gone) and Chelsea (when they sort their shit out). We've also got Villa this season, and we've had other clubs like Leicester pushing hard in previous seasons.

We're a side capable of qualifying, but even with an improved structure at the club, it's not going to be a given, year in, year out, and it's likely going to take at least three or so seasons to turn us into anything resembling title challengers.

The issue, as you've highlighted, is that we're looking at 8th-10th this season, rather than somewhere in the top 6 (as a bare minimum), and we're also already out of one of the two winnable cups and likely to crash out of the CL in embarrassing fashion in the week, which, given where we were last season, isn't good enough.

Even with the various problems, we shouldn't have been losing more than one or two of Palace, Galatasaray (home), Newcastle (EFL Cup), Copenhagen and Bournemouth, and certainly not 3-0. We should have also been picking up at least some points from Spurs, Arsenal, Brighton and Newcastle (league).

About the only results you'd have gone "fair enough" about at the start of the season are Bayern, City and Galatasaray (away), and even then we shouldn't be rolling over for City and should have beaten Galatasaray.

Looks like a one trick pony with a shitty trick which relies entirely on having the best players in a county on his team.
He’s certainly painting himself into a corner and doing some job of shredding his reputation as a leading light in progressive football. The biggest takeaways of the season have all been negative and that should never be the case.

are they?

Its up there with one of the worst transfers we’ve done. We’ve had a load of high profile stinkers like Sancho, Pogba, Di Maria but at least they played. Mount’s barely had 5 starts.

I hope somehow next season he turns it around but its been a shockingly bad transfer.

He's a bit part player and worse then Pogba in that he can't excel outside of very specific conditions in his position. He doesn't have the movement or intelligence to read a game at the 6 and no positional sense as an 8. Whatever Erik has visualised with him it's been more fantasy than reality, it's not worked. His success is dependent on whoever the next manager is potentially.

Ok, but who?

Honestly, I don't get why fans asked that question. You figure out who when you let the manager go.
I'd expect United to interview managers, see their proposed playing styles and have them explain what their plan would be, just like any other team would.
There are lots of good managers around. Lots of managers who are available that would love the opportunity to manager Manchester United.
Once the interviews are conducted, and we find a manager that has the playing style and conduct that the club would like, we hire them.
Just like we did with Ten Haag, simply without responsibilities in regard to transfers.
Appointments are always risky and are not guaranteed to work. Understanding that has been our biggest failure as a club over the last ten years.
If we see the manager is not working out, we sack him, and get a new manager. We continue the process until we find a manager that can do that things the club would like to acheive.
I'd rather sack 10 managers in 5 years, getting a success in the 5th year, than to have sacked only 5 managers in 10 years with no success and hardly any progress.
Sacking these managers, if they're proving unsuccesful, should be part of the process, not the end.
Currently, United has been treating it like the start of a new era each time, not as a continuous process. Why? Because the club is still looking for the next Ferguson, and holds out in hope that each manager they appoint is the next person. This is why we end up giving them more time than we should.

So to answer who, just like any other team has done, hire the manager that is available and presents themselves best in an interview, whose style and conduct match the values the club would like to uphold.

Honestly, I don't get why fans asked that question. You figure out who when you let the manager go.
I'd expect United to interview managers, see their proposed playing styles and have them explain what their plan would be, just like any other team would.
There are lots of good managers around. Lots of managers who are available that would love the opportunity to manager Manchester United.
Once the interviews are conducted, and we find a manager that has the playing style and conduct that the club would like, we hire them.
Just like we did with Ten Haag, simply without responsibilities in regard to transfers.
Appointments are always risky and are not guaranteed to work. Understanding that has been our biggest failure as a club over the last ten years.
If we see the manager is not working out, we sack him, and get a new manager. We continue the process until we find a manager that can do that things the club would like to acheive.
I'd rather sack 10 managers in 5 years, getting a success in the 5th year, than to have sacked only 5 managers in 10 years with no success and hardly any progress.
Sacking these managers, if they're proving unsuccesful, should be part of the process, not the end.
Currently, United has been treating it like the start of a new era each time, not as a continuous process. Why? Because the club is still looking for the next Ferguson, and holds out in hope that each manager they appoint is the next person. This is why we end up giving them more time than we should.

So to answer who, just like any other team has done, hire the manager that is available and presents themselves best in an interview, whose style and conduct match the values the club would like to uphold.

So long answer short, you can't think of a good alternative.

We've never once sacked a manager without viable alternatives. No club in their right mind would do that.

We've never once sacked a manager without viable alternatives. No club in their right mind would do that.
Clubs do it all the time though. Hence the concept of a caretaker.

Who was the viable alternative when we sacked Mourinho and Ole ?

Not enough is being said about his post match comments that the team are not good enough to be consistent. If he thinks that will illicit a positive response from these players, he is so wrong. I honestly cannot see him turning this around. We have been mostly terrible under his regime, there was a three or four month period last season that was really good, but he has been unable to recapture that. It is bad enough he is incapable of beating a top half team away from home, but now he is losing badly to lower half opposition at home. He will not be manager next season and the following months will simply be a long goodbye.

He's pretty much defended every player every possible chance he's gotten. And the team. And then he says we're not consistent enough - which is true and Bruno is also quoted as saying - and you think he's in the wrong saying it because that will make the team perform worse?

We've had Ole here saying these "players are top, top, top players...blah blah" and gushing about the club too. And it went to absolute shite. We've had Rangnick put the boot in and tell it like it is and that saw us seeing a team stop trying. Whoever is manager will have to navigate between truth and protecting these players, what would you have him say?

Eriksen was free and looks our most composed and technical player when he’s fit. Can’t say he’s not been a good signing.

Onana has had some howlers, but if you look at the numbers he’s outperforming many of the keepers in the league. De Gea had some clangers last season too, but couldn’t use his feet. Getting rid was the right call, we just haven’t seen the benefits of onana yet because of injuries.

Can’t really defend Antony, but I stand by saying the jury is out on him. He isn’t going to get Salah numbers, but he’s a link up player. An overpriced one, but Ten Hag didn’t ask us to spend 80m. He was available for half that earlier in the summer.

Oh come on. ETH knows he has a budget to work with and he knows if he spends too much in one area then he doesn't have enough in the other. He clearly insisted on Antony and could and should have pulled the plug when the fee went up which it only did because we'd already bought Lisa, tried to sign Timber and then dithered about Antony so Ajax didn't have much time to get a replacement.

So long as the answer is short, you can't think of a good alternative.

Long answer short, its not my job to think of one.

Barca fans didn't think of Pep, and Bayern fans didn't think of Flick. Just like I don't think of every player signed. I didn't think of Doku in the city.
As fans, we have limited access to coaching profiles. We can only know what we see in limited amounts from a distance, which is why fans wanted Erik in the first place.
Fans didn't truly understand his style or his communication skills. All we knew is that he guided Ajax to a semi-final and played seemingly good football, and that should be enough.
I'm saying that, just like how Sancho turned out to be a dud, due to a lack of physicality and personality issues, it would be unwise for the club not to base their evaluations on a process.

What you're asking for is a flavour of the week. Who's popular right now. I'm saying that part of the reason we want a change in structure is to make sure we don't think like that.
You don't find managers like De Zerbi without doing research and interviews. They exist, you just have to do the work and find them, something we haven't really done over the years.

He's pretty much defended every player every possible chance he's gotten. And the team. And then he says we're not consistent enough - which is true and Bruno is also quoted as saying - and you think he's in the wrong saying it because that will make the team perform worse?

We've had Ole here saying these "players are top, top, top players...blah blah" and gushing about the club too. And it went to absolute shite. We've had Rangnick put the boot in and tell it like it is and that saw us seeing a team stop trying. Whoever is manager will have to navigate between truth and protecting these players, what would you have him say?
He has defended them. He has praised them. He has criticised them. All publicly. And without ever getting a response from his players. He is as charismatic as a wet sock.

Ole nosedived in form after he got his permanent contract. I've never seen worse football from us in my life as I did under Ole at that point, and then once stadiums reopened. Our longest trophy drought was also under him.

Honestly he was the worst by a country mile. Say what you want about ten hag but he doesn't get thumped 4-0 by sides bottom of the league.

:lol: Just the 3-0 at home though. or 7-0 against our biggest rivals.

It’s so obvious and yet we repeat the same mistake again and again, it makes the manager look completely inept. The only surprise is that more teams haven’t managed to exploit it, if we persist with it in the next three league games I can’t see us getting a single point.

It makes us easier to attack and for what, we have minimal attacking threat. That is the part I don't get because it is lose-lose; our wingers are totally isolated thanks to this system.

Van der Gaag and McClaren must be absolute yes men to sit there week after week and not say anything.

Who was the viable alternative when we sacked Mourinho and Ole ?
I remember most of our fans wanted Rangnick as Caretaker and then ETH/pochettino in the summer. The club did what was wanted but as usual the fans choice failed. Can’t remember the route after Mourinho.

I'd take a 7-0 to Liverpool over their season last year mate.

And 3-0 to Bournemouth, you think that's worse than being thumped by 4 to a side that was in relegation? Happened a few times under Ole too. Got thumped by Everton in year one too.

Not going to disagree with the rest of the post, but it's extremely harsh to say our good period only lasted for "a three or four month period" last season.

After losing the opening two league games, we went from 22nd August through to 1st March with 15 PL wins, 4 draws, and 3 losses, which were away to City, Villa and Arsenal, won every game on the way to lifting the League Cup, had reached the FA Cup quarter final, and had knocked Barcelona out of the Europa League, having only lost one game in the competition (which was itself via a dodgy as feck penalty). That's a very good, solid six month run.

It wasn't too great after that, admittedly, but even then we still reached the FA Cup final and finished 3rd.

No he only loses 0-3 vs relegation team at OLD TRAFFORD! Death looks more excited than watch any more matches under that ETH clown.

I would rehire Ole at this point as an interim just to get rid of these bastards in our team. He knows who are the rats and I would like him to cleanse off the club from them.

United held 3 at home to Bournemouth, lads
goal difference is in overdraft
bottom of CL group
December 9th - 7 losses already.

What are you guys even talking about? "Communicado Oficial" would have been out by 10pm everywhere else/at a serious club

He has defended them. He has praised them. He has criticised them. All publicly. And without ever getting a response from his players. He is as charismatic as a wet sock.

The only player he has publicly criticised this season is Sancho. Everyone else he has praised. Sometimes he's made sure to keep them grounded, like Garnacho. But he's defended every player to the hilt. Even the ones who do not give half their energy on the pitch. He's gotten quite a few positive responses and quite a few set backs so far this season. He's clearly not figured out his most efficient midfield in and out of possession with the options currently available and the same goes for the back four.

I missed the match but I did wonder when I saw the lineup that Martial up top means a completely ineffective press and collective defending. But what are the options, if Rasmus can't play every minute of every game? People have even suggested McTominay, which would be completely outlandish were it not for us having to either pick Rashford or Martial up front.

I don't agree with his midfield selection, and though I'd prefer Varane in the RCB role, I can understand how he's kept faith with Maguire given he's been solid for a while and can actually stay fit. There are still loads of problem areas in the team and some are his own making, or rather, he's not addressed them or prioritised them high enough, while most are the legacy of previous managers and the club's hierarchy.

Not going to disagree with the rest of the post, but it's extremely harsh to say our good period only lasted for "a three or four month period" last season.
That is not harsh, that is what happened. After a dreadful start we improved and were really good for about three months until the World Cup. Then Wout came in January and the football immediately deteriorated. We just about held it together until the cup final in February but after that we were awful, both the results and the performances, and it looked at one point like we’d manage to lose our top 4 spot. It’s been almost a year now of genuinely horrible football.

Long answer short, its not my job to think of one.

Barca fans didn't think of Pep, and Bayern fans didn't think of Flick. Just like I don't think of every player signed. I didn't think of Doku in the city.
As fans, we have limited access to coaching profiles. We can only know what we see in limited amounts from a distance, which is why fans wanted Erik in the first place.
Fans didn't truly understand his style or his communication skills. All we knew is that he guided Ajax to a semi-final and played seemingly good football, and that should be enough.
I'm saying that, just like how Sancho turned out to be a dud, due to a lack of physicality and personality issues, it would be unwise for the club not to base their evaluations on a process.

What you're asking for is a flavour of the week. Who's popular right now. I'm saying that part of the reason we want a change in structure is to make sure we don't think like that.
You don't find managers like De Zerbi without doing research and interviews. They exist, you just have to do the work and find them, something we haven't really done over the years.

No, I'm genuinely asking who you think should be manager of Utd.

There have always been options that I thought would be good for the club when we sacked previous managers, and gettable ones at that.

Poch and EtH were the long-term options after Ole, Mourinho was the option following on from LvG. Jose was arguably the only anomaly because he effectively made his position untenable.

Right now, I don't think there is a manager better than ETH that we can attract. I also think that any bump in form from this set of players under a new manager would be temporary.

We need to focus on far bigger issues at tre club instead of plastering over the ever expanding gaps. Aka constantly changing managers and fulfilling the same mediocre cycle.

I would rehire Ole at this point as an interim just to get rid of these bastards in our team. He knows who are the rats and I would like him to cleanse off the club from them.

It's the manager. This squad is substantially different to the one even Ole had - people seem to be under the impression this is the same team Moyes had or something

They're shite results, but he's comparing to Solskjaer, who lost 4-2 and 5-0 at home to Liverpool as well as losing 6-1 at home to Spurs, 4-2 away to Leicester, 3-1 at home to Palace, 4-0 away to Everton and 4-1 to Watford.

That's not to mention 2-0 defeats at home to Cardiff and Burnley, and away to Watford and West Ham.

I'd take a 7-0 to Liverpool over their season last year mate.

And 3-0 to Bournemouth, you think that's worse than being thumped by 4 to a side that was in relegation? Happened a few times under Ole too. Got thumped by Everton in year one too.

That is just a coping mechanism. That 7-0 was horrendous and one of the worst results the club has had. No amount of cope will erase how horrible that was.

Ole was shite but ETH isn't leaps better, the side just lost 3-0 at fecking home to Bournemouth who are only above relegation because this year Sheffield United, Luton and Burnley have decided to challenge Derby as the worst team to ever grace the league. ETH has lost 4-0 to bus stop in Hounslow. Have we beaten a top 10 team away from home yet? Genuine question as I remember the stat floating around a couple months ago.

I remember most of our fans wanted Rangnick as Caretaker and then ETH/pochettino in the summer. The club did what was wanted but as usual the fans choice failed. Can’t remember the route after Mourinho.

As usual implies that it's happened quite a number of times. I can't remember any other time a clear favourite was appointed. I can remember two or three occasions when players were bought that the fans were keen on, Sanchez, Pogba, and Ronaldo. And that all turned to shit. But not managers.

Status
Not open for further replies.