Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
West Ham in quarters, Everton in semis?

We won 8 of our last 12 games with LVG, including a one nil win away to City in the league & an FA Cup. I’ll ask again, how the feck are you calling that downing tools?
66 points in the league and a 5th place finish, lots of leaks about players not being happy with the playing style and the same bullshit.

Again you're micro analysing a point of a point, it's so tiresome. You're trying to claim west ham and Everton and Palace being the hardest teams to beat in the FA Cup final isn't an easy run. Just have a word with yourself.

Honestly I don't want to have micro debates it's such bullshit. I am tired of literally spelling out the obvious. The players did not like LVG ball after 24 months. They didn't like Jose ball after the same time. They didn't like Moyes (fair though). They didn't like Ole. And now we hear leaks that they don't enjoy Ten Hag.

Go figure. I can't be fecked to debate further.

I can't be arsed going through your whole post but various autobiographies have revealed that a fair bunch of the players pretty much detested LvG, they openly mocked Moyes, and Mourinho had no issue talking to the press about the players he'd fallen out with and that weren't working for him.

He came in at Newcastle who were near the relegation zone, and if I remember right, they had the best form in the league for the rest of that season. Then he gets them top 4 and a cup final. With a worse squad than we have.

Newcastle hired Howe after getting new owners and completely revamping their structure. It's already not remotely comparable.

He also won just one of his first nine league games, and lost five of the last ten that season, which I don't even need to check to know that it wasn't close to being "the best form in the league for the rest of that season".

Newcastle made at least nine first team signings for last season, and have added another three this season, bringing the total to (at least) 12.

Ten Hag has made 10 permanent signings with no proper structure in place to support the selection of said signings, and even then, one was 30 year old midfielder on a free transfer, another a 35 year old emergency backup defender, another a reserve goalkeeper, and another a young backup left back.

This is without touching on the difference in expectations and number games played last season.

So again, when has Howe proven he can work in remotely similar circumstances?

I can buy the argument for playing downing tools on Mourinho after he threw pretty much all of them under the bus that Summer when he threw his toys out of the pram, although I think it’s more a psychological case of them losing belief in the manager and his methods.

But LVG clearly does fit that, due to how his reign ended.

And Ole? Universally loved Ole, VP, why do you think players downed tools on such a loved personality? :confused:

What the literal feck are you talking about? Where have you been over the last 18 months? In a haze?

He was backed up over Ronaldo by the board. He was given license to boot DDG after the player had a greed a contract with the club. He was allowed to bench Maguire, Sancho and now Varane, some of the most expensive signings of the club, with absolutely 0 repercussions. No one is making him play anyone. He has been given full license and backing so far.

The fact he picks some (not most) of the same players is because he is not playing his own signings. Which is because his signings are not performing. Which players did he inherit from the LVG era, Shaw, Rashford and Martial. So why is he still playing Shaw? Because he's the best LB at the club, miles ahead of his signing Malacia. Why is he still playing Rashford and on the RW? Well, likely because he carried the team with 30 goals last season while Antony has done sweet fa. Martial is now merely bench player yet not doing any worse than Hojlund. Why is he playing Fernandes? Because he's the best performing AM at the club and Mount is much inferior.

Without some of the good players he inherited, he would have an even worse squad. None of his signings (well, perhaps aside Martinez) have made any impact. And he was given a spending budget of almost 400m.

What you are saying is straight up lunacy.

Not really. Shaw is one of the only players I'd keep from the last few years. Bruno and Rashford might be the others.

Club should have worked with him in a more proactive manner to get rid of players who serve no purpose. Like Arsenal have done, decided this is where we are headed, you guys aren't useful you can go. Martial, Dalot, AWB, McT, Maguire, Lindelof, Donny etc etc. They should all be gone.

You cannot play any kind of possession based game or one that requires quick transitions with players who are too slow on the ball and lack the technical ability to operate quickly in tight spaces. Add in a lack of brains, workrate and desire to be competitive and you have guys who just go through the motions. Who can't even be arsed to try and make it work half the time.

I'm all for change if it's the best thing for the club, for me, sacking the manager is not the way forward, he's only half way into the squad rebuild. The best thing for the club is to continue to remove most of these players and replace them with ones who are part of a plan to move forward.

Honestly I don't want to have micro debates it's such bullshit. I am tired of literally spelling out the obvious. The players did not like LVG ball after 24 months.

oh, I’m sure they didn’t as none of us did. However they were professional enough to win eight of their last 10 games including in an away win city and an FA Cup final. How on earth does that fit any description of downing tools is mind blowing, it’s exactly the opposite, they showed professionalism despite not liking his tactics.

I can buy the argument for playing downing tools on Mourinho after he threw pretty much all of them under the bus that Summer when he threw his toys out of the pram, although I think it’s more a psychological case of them losing belief in the manager and his methods.

But LVG clearly does fit that, due to how his reign ended.

And Ole? Universally loved Ole, VP, why do you think players downed tools on such a loved personality? :confused:
Go back and read up on how LVGs time ended. You are either being obtuse or you have trouble with recalling what happens. Beating palace in the final when the team had no big test en route to the FA cup doesn't overshadow the fact that the players detested LVG.

And re ole same leaks. Didn't get the training, just gave up, didn't respect the likes of McKenna (who is smashing it now in his managerial career). The players are just mugs.

And they're mugs becuase a culture of letting the players do what they want has festered for many years.

I get your points and agree with most of them.

Regarding the good coaching bit this is where I struggle. At the end of the day you can be the greatest coach but if key players are not giving it their all then you'll struggle. Some will say well its the managers job to motivate players, true, however if it was that easy then managers would not have to build and bring in new players (simplified). Just like in any job there are players who can't be motivated or just don't have the mental fortitude.
The area of contention here is that good and great coaches turn the lens straight on to underperformers and poor workers with a shining light. They mightn't win the game, but they'll leave you in no doubt that what they're trying to implement makes sense (in accordance with how they want to play) and is being let down by such and such because eveything will look as it should until weaker links in the chain enter the fray. You will rarely have doubt that player(s) X, Y and Z are the problem and not what the players have been sent out to do. Of course, this is within the constraints of reality where you're not a bunch of cheats who don't play by FFP, because if you are, you can circumvent real world issues by purchasing and ridding yourself of swathes of players in one go where real clubs cannot and land yourself a world class and optimal squad in a very unrealistic amount of time.

Last season you could look at the players and assess who needed upgrading, this season, you have to look at the system and it immediately states these players are being set up to fail or have a far worse time out there than they otherwise would if a more prudent method of playing was in the offing. From the moment, the literal moment #6, #10, #10 was announced, this site hasn't been the same as many, including myself, voiced concern that that system is an awful fit for these players. My very first post regarding that was that it would kill/ruin Casemiro. I remember @noodlehair being very vocal about this, too.

You need #8's that can comfortably fill the #10 space for this to even look feasible on paper. We don't have a single one of those at the club in a professional capacity, let alone two. Before a ball is even kicked, there's cause for concern. What's been scary about this topic is we've looked even worse than my - and I'd guess any other's - visualisation of how this would play out. In fact, it's now a meme, that's how bad it has been.

That is purely and solely on the manager. Even if he wants to execute that system, wait until the correct players are at the club, don't just go ahead anyway, and if you do, on your head be it - rather than expose weak links in the team, you have then exposed weaknesses in your tactics and self-awareness. Some will go further in deeming it naivety or arrogance, but whatever the conclusion, it's a terrible foundation from which to run on and it has seen us carved up by any competent midfield and had us grind to wins against the literal fodder of the league.

None of the above is hyperbole, which makes what's going on all the more concerning.

Players like Rashford, Martial etc have shown they down tools very quickly under every manager. The likes of Sancho have shown before that they don't give 100% in training. Maybe a great coach can get the best out-of them consistently but I doubt it. So on the coaching, not letting ten hag off but its clear he's trying to implement a tactic that requires the entire team to know their roles, always be switched on and make the right decisions. When you have Rashford in the team who does not press, get back or make the right decisions then in these tactics you are playing with a man down. Add in Martial and you are effectively playing with 9. Now when watching newcastle and seeing Joelinton and Almiron, the key difference with them is they run and give their all constantly, even before Howe came so of course they will adapt to a high octane tactic when compared to both Rashford and Martial. Its easy to say well then switch back to 4231, well if we do that then we may as well have kept Ole or Jose. At some stage we will need to commit to a true tactical change and go through the fire to reach it.
Then you remove those players. Instantaneously. As I stated above, the heat and spotlight quickly turns on players if they are not working towards the greater good of the team. I went directly to the Rashford thread and asked the questions I feel aren't being asked in favour of people just being mad at Rashford. If there's something wrong with him, why hasn't the manager hooked him and prevented him from being a liability to the team?

A LVG or Mourinho drops a player not pulling their weight in a heartbeat. If ten Hag is from this hardline school of coaching, what is he doing constantly putting underperformers in the team? Not only does it demoralise the other players, it sends out the message some are above the rules, which will engender a culture of disillusionment, especially so when those above the rules aren't performing and delivering in a manner that gives them carte blanche to flout what the manager espouses.

I have made a thread asking if we're now at the point where we'll see change to tactics and personnel and I think this is a pivotal moment for the manager because if he goes with the same things again in a gamble that he'll finally get a reaction, there should be intense scrutiny on his management should it fall through.

When you add in that to play the way Ten Hag wants you also need player's technically proficient and with good football intelligence. This is where the deficiencies in the squad, poor recruitment and injuries further hurt us. We are forced to play Mctominay who as a midfielder is technically worse than a joelinton, Amrabat who is out of his depth in this league in terms of speed, add in Bruno who for sure is a very good player but like Juan Mata I can't help but feel he's a player whose playstyle is no longer appropriate for the current game at the very top. He is too risky, too costly in his play and whilst it doesn't directly lead to us conceding goals it does lead to us losing control of games. We have said the no 10 role is outdated, yet one of our star players can only effectively function there.
Do you know what a man of conviction would do? A man obsessed with his systems and principles, someone like LVG? He'd be brave and certain and pick the players at the club who are suited to it, name, experience or standing be damned. He'd pick, to a man (sans Rooney) players who fit the most optimally to what he had in mind. No hesitation or doubt. We'd see Hannibal and Gore next to Mainoo, if that's what was required. He would not repeatedly put square pegs in round holes, and what's more, the patterns of play he personally desired would be in full evidence, undeniably so.

Is our manager a man of conviction in regards to his systems? If the answer is yes, why is he betraying his system with the wrong pieces? Players that struggle to grasp what is being asked of them? I'm certain LVG would adhere to ten Hag’s brief and execute it better than ten Hag has with this exact set of players. Absolutely certain of it. Why is it relevant and why necromance an old manager as a reference point? Because we're stuck in a halfway house that is definitely not beneficial to these players and is, ironically, detrimental to the coach because he's doing worse than he should with what is at his disposal where a LVG would optimise and show the conclusive properties of what we're trying to implement with this set of players.
Now Ten Hags recruitment has to be questioned, however, is it as terrible as we make it out? Martinez is clearly a great signing, Malacia a good back up, Rasmus I think will be a very good signing, Casemiro whilst old clealry improves us and eriksen was a great signing. Then you have Antony who I think is a poor signing. Mount I'll reserve judgement and Amrabat I'll commit to saying he isn't good enough. Is that overall record terrible? Its not amazing but is it as bad as we say? We can't buy players like De Jong, Jude, Erling, Kane that will take us from europa/4th place to winning a league so we have to buy the next rung down. Also every manager from pep to klopp to arteta bought multiple flops when building their teams, its part of the game.
You'll rarely hear me say a single word about the recruitment. It shouldn't have been allowed and the football heads above ETH are to blame for that. I won't use that as a stick to beat the manager, but what I will scrutinise is the utilisation and deployment of those signings, and that's where things are again well below par this term.
So in summary....I think ive re-convinced myself to back Ten Hag! He needs to be supported with a better recruitment team, get in players that can challenge Rashford and Bruno etc, get rid of the remnants of Ole/Jose's teams and hopefully we will start to see Ten Hags vision.
The absolving of this horror show of a season with all (or nearly all) blame being apportioned to the players - the same players half this site were happy with when we went on that 'run' of wins just a couple of games ago - is preposterous. If the players are on an arbitrary 4/10 for the season thus far, the manager is on a 2 or 3. That's in stark contrast to the 7 or 8 for the first season where he wasn't setting up the team in this kamikaze way that he's not versed in playing. Players downing tools is such a cop out because outside of Rashford and Martial, these players are still going out there and giving what they have. I've asked repeatedly who else is downing tools to the sound of crickets because there is a difference between not being prepared to run and/or try and not knowing when to because the tactical plans are so clearly disorderly and unable to carry contingency. Our manager is looking like a rabbit in headlights in games reticent to make vital adjustments in game that could at least give a fighting chance to the team. He is being outcoached left, right and centre, and rather than discuss that, it is being buried because there is a desire to place ire elsewhere, as if there isn't enough of that to go around - both player and manager can be in the wrong. This season most definitely isn't an either or.

As much as I wanted this manager pre-arrival and was on board with him going into this off-season, he has undone so much of his own work that it beggars belief. Every constructive thing has been replaced by something that is ailing this collective - where are the constructive building blocks to capitalise off of what we had achieved last season? Today has to be a new dawn in terms of what he attempts to do, for me or the last slithers of belief I have that he can turn this around and actually start coaching again will be in the gutter.

I reiterate with most posts I make that I actually want this guy to succeed, but I am never going to betray objective reasoning or not call a spade a spade for the time it is a spade. He has massively let himself down this season, and pointing fingers elsewhere does not detract from that bottom line.

To go forward with a manager you have to see and believe in what he's doing on the pitch before any other factor, imo. Victories and table standing are not as important as seeing constructive and progressive development. In fact, results alone can harbour false dawns that those who are seemingly solely focused on are duped by and seem to be genuinely taken aback when the house of cards falls down as the football - not the results - invariably dictated it would.

Go back and read up on how LVGs time ended. You are either being obtuse or you have trouble with recalling what happens. Beating palace in the final when the team had no big test en route to the FA cup doesn't overshadow the fact that the players detested LVG.

I don’t think you understand the term downing tools then, because winning 8 in 12, including a 0-1 win away to City and an FA Cup is the exact opposite of downing tools man.

For a man they “detested” they were clearly professional as feck.

Not really. Shaw is one of the only players I'd keep from the last few years. Bruno and Rashford might be the others.

Club should have worked with him in a more proactive manner to get rid of players who serve no purpose. Like Arsenal have done, decided this is where we are headed, you guys aren't useful you can go. Martial, Dalot, AWB, McT, Maguire, Lindelof, Donny etc etc. They should all be gone.

You cannot play any kind of possession based game or one that requires quick transitions with players who are too slow on the ball and lack the technical ability to operate quickly in tight spaces. Add in a lack of brains, workrate and desire to be competitive and you have guys who just go through the motions. Who can't even be arsed to try and make it work half the time.

I'm all for change if it's the best thing for the club, for me, sacking the manager is not the way forward, he's only half way into the squad rebuild. The best thing for the club is to continue to remove most of these players and replace them with ones who are part of a plan to move forward.

Yes, really. I don't know how to tell this to you in words that will be understood, but he has evidently been given unprecedented levels of squad control and budget. A manager has to show the ability not only of weeding out the wrong players, but also of coaching and improving the rest as well improving the squad with his signings. He has utterly, undoubtedly, failed in the other two so far. No player is really improved under him, even our best players are regressing and his new signings are failing to make any sort of impact.

The above are not topics for debate. They are statements of fact. If you think not, you're simply disconnected from reality and there's not really much debate to be had between us going forward.

oh, I’m sure they didn’t as none of us did. However they were professional enough to win eight of their last 10 games including in an away win city and an FA Cup final. How on earth does that fit any description of downing tools is mind blowing, it’s exactly the opposite, they showed professionalism despite not liking his tactics.
Why are you micro analysing again? They detested LVG and their season ended with 5th and 66 points. Stop pretending like the players didn't turn on LVG. Being professional and wanting to win a cup doesn't mean you don't turn on a manager on the whole. It's a cup run, you understand that right?

Even ten hags side now has gone on a decent run of wins that doesn't mean the players are doing great.

I don’t think you understand the term downing tools then, because winning 8 in 12, including a 0-1 win away to City and an FA Cup is the exact opposite of downing tools man.

For a man they “detested” they were clearly professional as feck.
I think it's abundantly clear that you don't know what it means :lol:

66 points and 5th and the players hated him. Means more than your cherry picking of 10 games. Move on.

What the literal feck are you talking about? Where have you been over the last 18 months? In a haze?

He was backed up over Ronaldo by the board. He was given license to boot DDG after the player had agreed a contract with the club. He was allowed to bench Maguire, Sancho and now Varane, some of the most expensive signings of the club, with absolutely 0 repercussions. No one is making him play anyone. He has been given full license and backing so far.

The fact he picks some (not most) of the same players is because his signings are not better. Which players did he inherit from the LVG era? Shaw, Rashford and Martial. So why is he still playing Shaw? Well because he's the best LB at the club, miles ahead of his signing Malacia. Why is he still playing Rashford and on the RW? Well, likely because he carried the team with 30 goals last season while Antony has done sweet fa. Martial is now merely bench player yet not doing any worse than Hojlund. Why is he playing Fernandes (from Ole era)? Because he's the best performing AM at the club and Mount is much inferior. Why is he playing McTominay (from Jose era)? Who the feck knows, he signed Amrabat and Mount to supposedly not have to play him, but sure as feck no one is making him play McTominay.

Without some of the good players he inherited, he would have an even worse squad. None of his signings (well, perhaps aside Martinez) have made any impact. And he was given a spending budget of almost 400m. What you are saying is straight up lunacy.
Agreed, it’s an absolute nonsense that he’s not been backed.
What I find remarkable is there are two groups at the complete opposite end of the scale for the same issue who believe Ten Hag should stay.
The poster you’re quoting (who for some reasons seems to be quite emotional and obnoxious with his posting) is saying ten Hag hasn’t been backed and presumably should have free reign on who comes and goes and that’s the issue. You then have another group of retain Ten Hagers who state he should not have been allowed free reign on transfers and should have been given the players and then he works with what he’s given. And that that is in fact a large reason for the current failings. I mean, it’s just mad really. The answer is probably somewhere in the middle in reality but the difference in opinion shows that it’s not a black and white matter so I don’t get how anyone can be so boisterous about it when expressing that opinion.

The poster you quoted is massively contradicting too. He seemingly thinks Ten Hag should be able to sign and sell who he pleases (surely then negating the need for such a hands on dof/scouting team).
He does this whilst simultaneously moaning about not having a competent DOF and scouts. Ten Hag didn’t want a hands on DOF. He ignored the scouts. That’s why Rangnick left. He wanted to make the overwhelming majority of transfer decisions and that why we have several players signed with Dutch links.

The simple fact is there is probably no ‘right’ way of handling something such as squad building. Both methods can be successful. The problem Ten Hag has is he’s made that decision and overruled the board to build the squad himself and when you do that and you spend the money he has there is a massive amount of responsibility then on your shoulder with regards to how it works out. Unfortunately for him, he has failed miserably. And that simple reason will cost him his job (well actually us being in 10th and out the CL in about a month will cost him his job).
He backed himself and that’s fine but when it goes tits up people then can’t go and complain about the board.
Personally I think the United board should have told him to feck off the minute he wanted over ruling power on transfers and never hired him in the first place. The way the club is at the minute we need the sporting director/transfer committee method and cannot continue to go down this manager rules all path especially as our last two managers basically had thread bare cv’s.

The big difference being ETH was an overwhelming favourite wish for the fans to come in and still has big support.

Whereas the others were always split to put it nicely.
Does he have more support than Ole did? And how much does it really mean that he was an "overwhelming favourite wish"? Most fans did not watch Ajax and judged him solely on one single cup run from a few years ago. When he is sacked, virtually nobody will wish he wasn't. The only difference is how much it takes for people to realize and accept that, same as with previous managers.

Does he have more support than Ole did? And how much does it really mean that he was an "overwhelming favourite wish", really? Most fans did not watch Ajax and judged him solely on one single cup run from a few years ago. When he is sacked, virtually nobody will wish he wasn't. The only difference is how much it takes for people to realize and accept that, same as with previous managers.
Of course he does. Ole wasn't wanted by all the fans, a lot of them never rated him.

Also your point about Ajax isn't very well informed. A lot of us did. I watched him at Ajax a lot in the final season when I gave up on Ole.

Personally I think the United board should have told him to feck off the minute he wanted over ruling power on transfers and never hired him in the first place. The way the club is at the minute we need the sporting director/transfer committee method and cannot continue to go down this manager rules all path.

Bingo. The problems do ultimately stem from a weak board, but ETH has exploited this and the effects have been negative.

Which is why I personally think the way forward is not with high-reputation managers, not if those are going to make such demands. There needs to be a decent board structure in place for player acquisitions. Then bring in coaches in who are happy to work within these confines. If no reputable manager accepts that condition, so be it, then work with those of little-to-no managerial reputation. Arteta had limited coaching experience before Arsenal, same with Xavi at Barca (or Pep back in the day), or Simeone at Atletico or Zidane at Real.. or.. or...or. The board needs to know what it's doing first and foremost, otherwise we're doomed anyway. Then, a competent coach will make it work.

Yes, really. I don't know how to tell this to you in words that will be understood, but he has evidently been given unprecedented levels of squad control and budget. A manager has to show the ability not only of weeding out the wrong players, but also of coaching and improving the rest as well improving the squad with his signings. He has utterly, undoubtedly, failed in the other two. No player is really improved under him, even our best players are regressing and his new signings are failing to make any sort of impact.

The above are not topics for debate. They are statements of fact. If you think not, you're simply disconnected from reality and there's not really much debate to be had between us going forward.

Look at how much money the teams around him have spent in the last 2 seasons since he's been in charge. Unprecedented levels of spending and control....

I think it's abundantly clear that you don't know what it means :lol:

66 points and 5th and the players hated him. Means more than your cherry picking of 10 games. Move on.

hang on, are you now claiming that no manager can ever fail at the club? Are you absolutely absolving van Gaal of any blame for the dog shit pedestrian football we played that season that led us to 66 points? Is it always because the players downing tools?.

Look at how much money the teams around him have spent in the last 2 seasons since he's been in charge. Unprecedented levels of spending and control....

2022 we were second in net spend only to Chelsea. Substantially more than others.

2023 again only Chelsea spent more than us, Arsenal a similar amount.

It's very rare that a manager is allowed to spend nearly £350m net in two years AND is not interfered when it comes to choosing the players. I only remember Mourinho bringing a few of his Porto players to Chelsea but a) they just won CL, b) Mourinho is on a different stratosphere compared to ETH and already had a much better perception when he was hired, being one of the hottest young coaches in Europe and having just won UEFA Cup and CL with Porto.

Sure, blaming managers is why we're in this state. Except nobody would want any of the previous managers near the club now. I wonder why if sacking them was wrong and they should have been given time instead. Almost like they were part of the problem like ETH is now.
Yep. No other fanbase develops this weird attachment to managers like we do. The result of us getting used to having one manager for two decades.

hang on, are you now claiming that no manager can ever fail at the club? Are you absolutely absolving van Gaal of any blame for the dog shit pedestrian football we played that season that led us to 66 points? Is it always because the players downing tools?.
No. You are getting into a micro point and failing to see the overall point being made.

His biggest mistake was not pushing the club to sign Declan Rice this summer.

Rice wanted the move, and ETH's obsession with Mount scuppered it.

I know one player doesnt make a team, but as a player and person Rice was exactly what we needed, and exactly what we are now missing.

I know one player doesnt make a team, but as a player and person Rice was exactly what we needed, and exactly what we are now missing.

Even without Mount we wouldn't have been able to afford Rice.

Sure there were good periods in these, but we really can't be looking at these as the level we want to reach right? A Turkish club (1.47 to 1.64 xg) and a bottom half team (2.47 to 2.22 xg), conceding 40 shots between the 2 games... Does he not say the horrid defending and complete lack of control on display?

Sure there were good periods in these, but we really can't be looking at these as the level we want to reach right? A Turkish club (1.47 to 1.64 xg) and a bottom half team (2.47 to 2.22 xg), conceding 40 shots between the 2 games... Does he not say the horrid defending and complete lack of control on display?

It is statements like these that have made me lose any faith in him. The only game this season that you can say we played well was the one in the LC against Palace.

Aye, not the best comments. He could’ve just said we need to get back to our form of last season that won us a trophy and secured us a 3rd place finish.

The mistake was not doing Rice in summer 2022, where we splashed on Casemiro and Antony.

Replace that 160m or so spent on them for Rice and Kudus and it'd be a better choice

Of course he does. Ole wasn't wanted by all the fans, a lot of them never rated him.

Also your point about Ajax isn't very well informed. A lot of us did. I watched him at Ajax a lot in the final season when I gave up on Ole.
I'd say less than 1% of fans did watch Ajax and I'm being very generous. Ole wasn't initially wanted by all the fans but he had support like no other manager because he was a club legend and one of us. Very much doubt ETH tops that.

The thing is with TH and all the other managers we have had, what they have got in common is the lunacy of giving massive contracts for average players. Its alright us saying he should get shut of x,y, and z, but unless a club offer them the same money, 95% of them wont shift. Thats why we have Martial, Maguire and McTom 3 examples but you also had Bailley, Rojo and Jones etc refusing or the clubs after them refusing to pay them the same barmy salaries.
This ends up with the club eventually not letting new signings come in, through FFP and a bloated squad. We only seem to get rid of players when their contracts end. Martial has been here nearly 10 years! Jones was here that long as well. Rashford could be a problem moving on now.
This current setup never learn. Antony went from 20k to 200k! Absolutely madness. Lets hope Ratcliffe sorts out this mess, otherwise we are stuck in this quagmire forever.

ten Hag is probably my favourite manager regards being a leader post Ferguson.
I'm behind him all the way on the stance he's taken with most matters.

I just wish his on field tactics didn't look so nonsensical.

Exactly, just wish it wasn't like waxing your bollocks having to watch us play football for 90minutes.

ETH needs a comprehensive performance over the next few games, because without it I am not sure how he continues. We have played a lot, a lot of football now (this season), it's December ffs and we are yet to see a decent, 90+ minute performance from Man Utd FC. It's concerning that he quotes the recent Everton game (when they had 20+ shots....??) and the Galatasary match where we were so open throughout the entirety of the match. It's welcome that we are scoring a few, that's great.. but it's like Basketball watching us.. would anyone be surprised if we drew 3-3 or something this evening?

A weakened Newcastle rolled over us, and that was a(nother) lesson for ETH. If we have another of those, he's going to struggle to justify his tenure. We have simply got to start being much, much better.

The level of Galatasaray and Everton? Is that the bar for this club now? a 3-3 draw and one of the shakiest 3-0 wins i've ever seen.

The area of contention here is that good and great coaches turn the lens straight on to underperformers and poor workers with a shining light. They mightn't win the game, but they'll leave you in no doubt that what they're trying to implement makes sense (in accordance with how they want to play) and is being let down by such and such because eveything will look as it should until weaker links in the chain enter the fray. You will rarely have doubt that player(s) X, Y and Z are the problem and not what the players have been sent out to do. Of course, this is within the constraints of reality where you're not a bunch of cheats who don't play by FFP, because if you are, you can circumvent real world issues by purchasing and ridding yourself of swathes of players in one go where real clubs cannot and land yourself a world class and optimal squad in a very unrealistic amount of time.

Last season you could look at the players and assess who needed upgrading, this season, you have to look at the system and it immediately states these players are being set up to fail or have a far worse time out there than they otherwise would if a more prudent method of playing was in the offing. From the moment, the literal moment #6, #10, #10 was announced, this site hasn't been the same as many, including myself, voiced concern that that system is an awful fit for these players. My very first post regarding that was that it would kill/ruin Casemiro. I remember @noodlehair being very vocal about this, too.

You need #8's that can comfortably fill the #10 space for this to even look feasible on paper. We don't have a single one of those at the club in a professional capacity, let alone two. Before a ball is even kicked, there's cause for concern. What's been scary about this topic is we've looked even worse than my - and I'd guess any other's - visualisation of how this would play out. In fact, it's now a meme, that's how bad it has been.

I think the warning signs were very prominent as soon as we signed Mount. I remember having this discussion with @MadMike when we signed Mount about fearing it meant playing him in or instead of a central midfield and therefore implementing a crazy system that would leave us too open due to one CM having to do the ground work of 2-3 players, . Especially as we were also trying to offload Fred/McTominay on the basis of signing Mount. Nothing against Mount but he was and is clearly not the correct player to fill the role, which imo is part of why he has struggled to have any kind of impact.

Then in pre-season this is exactly what we did, and even in friendly games you could see the obvious issues it was causing the team as we were constantly chasing our own tails up and down the pitch. I was quite baffled he persisted with it against Wolves and then even more so after it went exactly as expected and then he tried it again away to fecking Tottenham. After that I've just given up on the idea Ten Hag is going to accept that it wont work, and I think the reason it looks even worse than you might expect is because I imagine that is the same attitude a lot of the players will have eventually adopted. Either that or they've been injured and someone worse has had to play in their place.

If a manager wants to implement a certain style of play or system then that is fine and if it means short term pain while he brings in the right players, moves on the ones who don't fit in the jigsaw, etc. so be it. The problem I have is ETH came up with this idea out of the blue after spending the whole of last season playing a different system entirely, which worked. Fair enough I guess, but then he's signed players who DON'T fit the system he wants to play at all, in order to play said system. He seemed to base it entirely on signing Mount, who is not even the right player for the role he plays him in.

Not saying the point about City isn't valid, but ETH has signed 2 goalkeepers, 3 defenders, 5 midfielders and 3 forwards since he's been here. Even assuming not a single player in the squad he inherited was suitable to him, he's signed half a squad and enough players to field an entire starting 11, albeit a few on loan. Whatever way he wants to play he should now have the players to suit that at the very least enough to get a working system on the pitch, unless he a) signed completely the wrong players, b) randomly completely changed his mind about what he's trying to do, or c) doesn't actually understand hat it is he' trying to do.

Its also fine to be adaptable and have a style of play and system that is compatible to the strengths of your players. This is what SAF was excellent at, it is what Klopp does to at least a degree. Its what most managers with limited resources have to do to a degree...but we aren't doing that either. Nobody can really explain what we are trying to do this season because it is so unclear, and you can imagine how difficult it must be to get a team of players to perform well when no one even really seems to understand what it is they're supposed to be performing well at.

I think the problem with the system is really easy to see. You have one CM who, out of possession, is being expected to press and cover the entire width of the pitch, which is impossible unless you can run faster than someone can kick a ball. In possession, they are also the only link between defence and attack, so every piece of possession HAS to go through them, and their only passing line is forwards or backwards, AND the opposition can press them to death because they can only be in one place at a time. People started criticising Casemiro for not being able to do this which I think is utterly bonkers because there is NO player who can do this. Such a player does not exist. The system can work, but it has to be very well drilled and you need to have the right players who need to be tactically aware and disciplined, particularly when it comes to supporting your CM and allowing the team to control the game through them. You watch us and whoever the CM is looks like they're a table football figure and someone's ripped off the two other figures that are meant to be either side of them.

The level of Galatasaray and Everton? Is that the bar for this club now? a 3-3 draw and one of the shakiest 3-0 wins i've ever seen.

I didn't even think we were the better team against Everton. They just didn't seem to want to score and we got a VAR penalty and a once in a lifetime goal. We looked ok AFTER the penalty killed the game.

Why are you micro analysing again? They detested LVG and their season ended with 5th and 66 points. Stop pretending like the players didn't turn on LVG. Being professional and wanting to win a cup doesn't mean you don't turn on a manager on the whole. It's a cup run, you understand that right?

Even ten hags side now has gone on a decent run of wins that doesn't mean the players are doing great.

Decent run of wins? When did that happen?

His standards seem worryingly low and bad. He thinks we played wonderful football against Everton and Galatasaray. We were very poor in half of the game in the former game and very bad defensively in the latter. Or maybe he’s already calibrated himself to United being a mediocre side.

I didn't even think we were the better team against Everton. They just didn't seem to want to score and we got a VAR penalty and a once in a lifetime goal. We looked ok AFTER the penalty killed the game.

Everton were pushing us in the 1st half and we were fortunate not to be losing. They struggled to put away decent chances. DCL in particular missed some great chances.

Strange for him to signal two games we struggled in as a benchmark. Sigh.

We were top of the form league for a bit, to be fair.

But that's not a run. Winning 2, losing 1 and then
winning 3 isn't a run of 5 wins. It's a run of 3 wins.

That's also ignoring the other competitions that we managed feck all in. It's certainly not anything to be bragging about.

And re ole same leaks. Didn't get the training, just gave up, didn't respect the likes of McKenna (who is smashing it now in his managerial career). The players are just mugs.

And they're mugs becuase a culture of letting the players do what they want has festered for many years.

I thought you were referring to Fergie's first trophy there for a second.

His standards seem worryingly low and bad. He thinks we played wonderful football against Everton and Galatasaray. We were very poor in half of the game in the former game and very bad defensively in the latter. Or maybe he’s already calibrated himself to United being a mediocre side.
WHen a manager is talking rubbish and we can all see that, that's when you really start to worry. If he is saying that to the press what is he saying to the players. Team was generally poor vs Everton and v mixed against Galatasaray.

Status
Not open for further replies.