Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally find the hate our best players get bizarre.

Rashford is the most understandable because when he is not scoring goals he is a liability. But even when he was scoring 30 last year he was getting hammered.

People begging for Bruno to be dropped when he is one of the most productive players in the world, because he doesn't fit in with some style that they perceive we should be playing, which is likely totally different to what ten hag is trying to build. On top of that Bruno works hard without the ball.

And Shaw... The most baffling to me. He is one of the best left backs in the world with the ball. He is such a good defender that he looks very natural at centre back. He brings massive experience to the squad. In a different era, Luke Shaw would be one of the most decorated and celebrated united players of all time I think, certainly along defenders.

As I said, I understand rashford issue when he is off the boil. But he is a squad player, Eth has proven that by taking him in and out of the team. Eth fears for his job, he has not been able to coach anything approaching creative football from the squad, and knows his main chance to still have a job is for rashford to hit form and win games with moment of individual brilliance as we saw last season. So I understand that Eth keeps trying him, especially as the other options are antony and pellistri who has shown nothing at all
I certainly do not hate our players, in fact I’m often called an apologist for many.

I’ve seen enough of this collective to know this group is not doing anything of relevance together.

As for the hate, I have been vocal in particular in the case of Rashford, somewhat Bruno, when it comes to how personal it can get as that’s something I really don’t understand.

He really does lack it. He doesn't come across as a manager of United.
I know we all love shiting on him now.. and think Levy is some genius but Spurs have done nothing..
We have had the worst period ever in our lifetime and still have been successful than them ..
Unless they get taken over by Qatar.. they will remain where they are .. between 5-7

I know we all love shiting on him now.. and think Levy is some genius but Spurs have done nothing..
We have had the worst period ever in our lifetime and still have been successful than them ..
Unless they get taken over by Qatar.. they will remain where they are .. between 5-7

It really isn't about Spurs, I've said it for awhile that the guy is a bore. I have rarely listened to pre or post match comments from at all since he became manager.

The fact we still have a core axis of Maguire - McTominay - Bruno - Rashford after all that years is insane.
For different reasons none of them should be a key player for us.

He needs to go back to the basics otherwise he'll be lucky to make it to the winter break. Playing one DM and 2 number 10s against a physical powerhouse like Newcastle is just suicidal. Especially when your DM is 18 and your 2 extra midfielders are Bruno who's lightweight and Mctominay who's just not smart enough despite having the physical tools to play a role in midfield. Guimaraes and Joelinton just steamrolled us.
Disastrous.

Absolutely. And they aren't world-class KDB etc quality.. just v good players, being managed very well.

We are weak, and without clear direction. You cannot expect to compete at the highest level based on inspirational moments from attackers.

Harry Maguire played up front for the last ten minutes. A joke.

I'm afraid that the job is too much for ETH. He's delusional if he believes the things he says. ETH is both stubborn and limited as a coach. I have stated again and again, we do not have a single player, playing close to their best. Not one. And it's been this way for a while. There must be a reason for that. And that is nothing to do with the Glazer's, OGS, etc. Every team has injuries.

His tenure is failing for many reasons which compound. To succeed at man utd you have to be an absolute genius who can handle the gross incompetence at upper management (obviously he is not as managers like that come once in a lifetime e.g SAF), he is transfers have been mostly poor meaning that they can't push out thr olayers from previous regimes. This in turn means that whatever playing philosophy (which is obviously not fit for the epl) he is trying to build will fail. The most annoying aspect of it all is that he seems unable to see the issues or is unable to do anything about it. He just keeps doing the same thing over and over.

Can't really see what he's trying to do anymore. The football is as bad as goal, jose ole days. The cursed 2nd season is back. I'd definitely pin this on the players, they are all spineless and we need a brand new 11, but you can't sack 11 players. I said it before and I'll say it again, we are now a club that needs to change managers every few years. We do not have the structure to build anything long term. Newcastle gala and Everton, we played rubbish in all three and based on how much we spent and where we should be, this should have been a routine week in the calendar.

I think hag is now out of his depth, he's lost the players. He has his favourites and the football is just shocking to watch. Mctominay scored 2 goals a month ago, has not been been dropped since despite being a ghost in most of the games. the last 10 years is really starting to take a toll, we make football look boring.

When half these players that have been here for years and have always sulked when things don’t go there way leave first. I’m players out over manager at this stage. I’m tired of it. Not running and trying can never be a managers fault. This is on them!

I mean I want both of them out. I’d happily gut the entire squad and Ten Hag needs to go regardless.

I just don’t see any footballing structure this season. The transfers (Mount and Hojlund particularly) were utter madness and we are miles short of the play structure we had even when Ole was here.

We then have the bizarre insistence on always playing a left footed CB, even if that means playing your best LB out of position and playing a RB at LB (even though there’s a LB on the bench).

Moving further up the pitch, he has so little faith in his own £80m signing that he is playing Rashford in a position we all know he can’t play, just to avoid having to start Antony and he’s insistent on seemingly playing two N10s despite it leaving a massive gap in the middle of our midfield.

Finally, he seems to have managed to fall out with Varane and Sancho, limiting our options even further.

We need to stop blaming the players here. Most of our issues this season are on the recruitment structure and ETH. There is no way on earth that Newcastle team has better players (nor ones that are intrinsically more competitive) and yet Howe has them performing like a genuine champions league level team. Our players look like they don’t have a clue what’s expected of them.

So much magical thinking here - in no organisation in any field benefits from making changes without first, carefully identifying the problems asking are they organisational, financial, recruitment, scouting, leadership, managerial, or down to conflicting goals? This is followed, ideally, by establishing within the whole organisation that these are indeed the problems. Then you ask, how can we solve these problems? What do we precisely and concretely need? If at that point the consensus is that the problem is the manager you've triggered another set of questions. What isn't he doing? Can we make changes to help him do it? Only then do you go looking for a new leader. And for heaven's sake, not just by saying he's great, he's available, I like his football style (it might not be replicable in your organisation) or whatever but what is there on his cv to suggest he has the right skill set to solve the slate of problems we've identified.

Otherwise, you're back to doing what this once great club has been doing for a decade; rolling the dice, gambling, winging it, make a hugely expensive and disruptive change without an underlying analysis and strategy and hoping for the best. I wonder how long the new bloke will last? How quickly will the Caf be calling for his head? Who will replace him? More thought, less knee jerk.

Hear hear.

Away from home to the bigger teams it's been rubbish.. Newcastle ffs there not that good and it was a away day again that was just poor.. ETH has questions that need to be Answered.

Rashford got new deal and like others just turns into another load of crap, Antony mediocre at best, Mount same Onana enough said about him.
ETH has lot of work to do and his stubbornness could get him the sack..

Look at Fulham going toe to toe with Liverpool at hime! You can't convince me they have a better squad currently than man utd. Look at Aston Villa constantly playing their game under pressure! I'm not going to accept that their squad is better than ours. Simple fact is that 18months on, our players do not look coached at all.

Look at Fulham going toe to toe with Liverpool at hime! You can't convince me they have a better squad currently than man utd. Look at Aston Villa constantly playing their game under pressure! I'm not going to accept that their squad is better than ours. Simple fact is that 18months on, our players do not look coached at all.

Well, theyre presently 4 points ahead of us. Not much, and weve been decimated by injuries. They also have arguably top 5 in the world in some positions, Alisson, Van Dijk and Salah would start for pretty much everybody. They have 2 long term, modern full backs, a world cup winner in midfield, the hungarian captain and some very good purchases of players who fit their style like diaz, nunez and so on. Overall they are a few years ahread of us investment and squad rebuild. I would say we had 6-7 players starting last night, that would not start for liverpool. In a fully fit state, obviously that number is much smaller.

Well, theyre presently 4 points ahead of us. Not much, and weve been decimated by injuries. They also have arguably top 5 in the world in some positions, Alisson, Van Dijk and Salah would start for pretty much everybody. They have 2 long term, modern full backs, a world cup winner in midfield, the hungarian captain and some very good purchases of players who fit their style like diaz, nunez and so on. Overall they are a few years ahread of us investment and squad rebuild. I would say we had 6-7 players starting last night, that would not start for liverpool. In a fully fit state, obviously that number is much smaller.
I'm speaking of Fulham and Aston Villa

Absolutely. And they aren't world-class KDB etc quality.. just v good players, being managed very well.

We are weak, and without clear direction. You cannot expect to compete at the highest level based on inspirational moments from attackers.

Harry Maguire played up front for the last ten minutes. A joke.

I'm afraid that the job is too much for ETH. He's delusional if he believes the things he says. ETH is both stubborn and limited as a coach. I have stated again and again, we do not have a single player, playing close to their best. Not one. And it's been this way for a while. There must be a reason for that. And that is nothing to do with the Glazer's, OGS, etc. Every team has injuries.

And he just happened to find himself in the way of Antony's equalizer :D. This club seems like a cruel social experiment sometimes.

Ten Hag himself doesn't know what to do and is flailing around desperately trying to grind out results. The only question is how long this will last, barring a miraculous turnaround. I think his days are numbered

I personally find the hate our best players get bizarre.

Rashford is the most understandable because when he is not scoring goals he is a liability. But even when he was scoring 30 last year he was getting hammered.

People begging for Bruno to be dropped when he is one of the most productive players in the world, because he doesn't fit in with some style that they perceive we should be playing, which is likely totally different to what ten hag is trying to build. On top of that Bruno works hard without the ball.

And Shaw... The most baffling to me. He is one of the best left backs in the world with the ball. He is such a good defender that he looks very natural at centre back. He brings massive experience to the squad. In a different era, Luke Shaw would be one of the most decorated and celebrated united players of all time I think, certainly along defenders.

As I said, I understand rashford issue when he is off the boil. But he is a squad player, Eth has proven that by taking him in and out of the team. Eth fears for his job, he has not been able to coach anything approaching creative football from the squad, and knows his main chance to still have a job is for rashford to hit form and win games with moment of individual brilliance as we saw last season. So I understand that Eth keeps trying him, especially as the other options are antony and pellistri who has shown nothing at all

Rashford is hardly a "squad player", he's started almost every game he's available for.

And can you really not understand why people would happily watch these guys leave? They've been around for multiple managers (5 now for Rashford and Shaw if you count Ragnick) and it's the same cycle of loss of composure in big moments, failure, and in general not being good enough when it matters. I don't give a feck about Bruno banging in goals and creating chances against LASK when I've watched countless calamatous performances from him against big time opposition when he's supposed to be our world class 10. He loses his composure in pressure situations more than almost any of our biggest players when he resorts to hoofing it constantly while we are trying to hold onto a lead. Rashford has had a grand total of 2 very good seasons in 9 now while refusing to improve the weakest parts of his game pretty much at all. He's essentially the same player he was 5 years ago now, and we've achieved close to nothing with him. Shaw is probably the best of the bunch in terms of seeing him succeed in a hypothetical top class team, but again he's been one of the main faces in the team and present at many of our biggest failures and I get if people are just tired of seeing him at this point.

People are sick of the same cycle and same players doing the same shit for years on end.

Yet no attempt at adjusting our defensive structure or personnell has really been made. We still start Bruno and McTominay and have them play next to our striker every game and then wonder why we are in an end to end contest with Luton.
Yeah it's McTominay that is the problem. This is where we miss the in form Casemiro we had for most of last season. I believe a pairing of that Casemiro and Mainoo would be our best bet moving forward. I felt for Mainoo yesterday, he had no support.

He really does lack it. He doesn't come across as a manager of United.

This is definitely an area of concern he certainly comes across dry and lacking enthusiasm. I don't think every manager needs to be charismatic, but there has to be some way to relate with players to inspire them. I think it's often overlooked by fans because we don't see the environment of training and the players in downtime. It's also evident with Erik falling out with numerous individuals.

He potentially lacks the social awareness to pacify disagreements, for example two people don't have to agree with eachother but can still garner mutual respect when pursuing different directions. Unfortunately as we are seeing with numerous players, there's this inevitable bridge burning process. Again, this doesn't mean the manager is wrong with his decisions but in management you have to go about things a certain way, with including elements of being emphatic.

Watching the football today I genuinely think we are one of the worst coached teams in the league. Chelsea go down to 10 men v Brighton and somehow they don’t have to concede 4 goals and lose the game, Fulham go to Liverpool and can go toe to toe with them losing narrowly whereas you can be certain we will be in for an absolute hiding when we go there in a couple of weeks, Spurs are decimated by injuries yet somehow they can go to Etihad and be a match for City instead of surrendering from the very first minute. I watch teams like Bournemouth with much smaller resources play a much more modern brand of football than we do.

Watching the football today I genuinely think we are one of the worst coached teams in the league. Chelsea go down to 10 men v Brighton and somehow they don’t have to concede 4 goals and lose the game, Fulham go to Liverpool and can go toe to toe with them losing narrowly whereas you can be certain we will be in for an absolute hiding when we go there in a couple of weeks, Spurs are decimated by injuries yet somehow they can go to Etihad and be a match for City instead of surrendering from the very first minute. I watch teams like Bournemouth with much smaller resources play a much more modern brand of football than we do.
Ten Hag is out ‘tacticed’ by everyone in the top half of the league. Doesn’t matter who we play, they know how to beat us and we just offer up the same shite.

I’m a big fan and have protected ETH massively. I think he would be the right man in a good set up but not in our team right now.

Hes the manager you get in a couple of years after a big reset and a big manager name has been moved on.

He’ll be sacked after the Liverpool game imo

Ancelotti is a vastly more accomplished manager than ten Hag.
They shouldn't even be appearing in the same sentence. Ancelotti could be rightly thrown as a candidate into the GOAT manager debate without getting embarrassed. It's like comparing Di Stefano to Jonjo Shelvey.

I’m a big fan and have protected ETH massively. I think he would be the right man in a good set up but not in our team right now.

Hes the manager you get in a couple of years after a big reset and a big manager name has been moved on.

I know you’ve been a big Ten Hag defender so it says a lot you’re starting to question him, but I would argue that he isn’t the man for a top side with serious ambitions. He seems incapable of adapting his philosophies in order to become a better man manager. I don’t think any top player will tolerate his nonsense, especially considering most of the players he would manage are vastly more successful than he ever has been.

Imagine you’ve won a WC and multiple CL’s and then some bloke comes in and tells you that you can’t play in your favoured position because you’re not left footed so now you’re dropped for some Dutch league reject or a 36 year old part timer? fecking insane.

I don’t think there’s any environment he would cope very well in aside from the one he was in at Ajax, with someone else building the team for him and giving him by far and away the best collection of players in the country. Basically he needs to have a substantially better team on the pitch to succeed and there’s too much competition in big leagues for that to occur frequently.

He’s just outclassed by any half decent coach so easily that I cannot see him ever having a successful career in a top league.

Question for those who still support EtH...

Which of our performances under his management convince you that he is a top coach, with a clear plan and vision that he is able to implement?

Answer without giving me the excuses. I don't want to hear 'injuries/Glazers etc...' I want to hear what he has done well, specifically in relation to our performances?

Which of our performances under his management convince you that he is a top coach, with a clear plan and vision that he is able to implement?

Answer without giving me the excuses. I don't want to hear 'injuries/Glazers etc...' I want to hear what he has done well, specifically in relation to our performances?
3-0 against Palace B at home in the League Cup has been given as an example of a superb performance this season, one for the ages.

I’d also ask who in the top 8 would consider him if their coach left tomorrow.

I don’t think there’s any environment he would cope very well in aside from the one he was in at Ajax, with someone else building the team for him and giving him by far and away the best collection of players in the country. Basically he needs to have a substantially better team on the pitch to succeed and there’s too much competition in big leagues for that to occur frequently.

He’s just outclassed by any half decent coach so easily that I cannot see him ever having a successful career in a top league.

The funniest part of this is I think he knows. This is why he adapted to "trying to play to our strengths". The transitional football is a response to that knowledge.
With the saddest part being that he doesn't actually know how to use that style which is why we've been so terrible, particulalry since the Sheffield United game in style of play.
His defensive structures have always been poor, even at Ajax. At United, without Licha and Varane saving him, its getting eaten alive.
The system he has does require numbers in key high positions that he can't impose in England because the league is too quick. In addition at Ajax, he could always dominate most of the league. Players like VDB who like terrible here could dominate over there.
We haven't won away at a top 9 team in almost two seasons, that stat is quite telling.

There are no excuses, and there isn't a single performance.
My argument for keeping him is based on the simple situation of getting rid of the revolving door on the managers office.

We had to do this when we took on a young manager from Aberdeen with a very similar CV, he was given five years, and turned out to be the greatest manager England and maybe the world has ever seen

Status
Not open for further replies.