Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was absolutely terrible despite being told a new better modern coach would transform us.

Yes he was right on a few things but they were so obvious to me that I thought Ten Hag would know to address them. How wrong was I. His signings are like he's never watch us or PL game in his life.
But he wasn't an out and out coach.

Think after 18 months in the job we would have a definable play style from the last regime, yet we don’t, we are horrible spaced in possession and have poor chance creation.

Id rather we sacrificed last season and said this is how I want to play if you can you play if not see you later.

But we are stuck with this garbage.

So seems like another another manager thrown under bus by those amazing players.

No opposition fans rate this geezer, that should tell you everything.

Well, that's been a recurring theme for a decade. There's a reason why most oppos have been desperate for us to stick with all of our post-Fergie appointments...

This is where I am personally. Based on his own performances and the failure of his tactical adjustments, I fail to see how you can trust him.

It seems like fans have taken a sudden interest in Casemiro and Varane.

I'm not sure what our supporters genuinely believe the manager's role is. This season, I've seen our greatest players put themselves in the worst possible positions to win, yet when they emerge from the games, they always seem to take the blame.

The midfield switch has been the most glaring tactical failure. From a sturdy foundation to a single pivot with two 8's. Where the 8's aren't adequately structured in terms of location, they alternate between a 433 and a 4231. These transitions are sluggish and painful. Constantly leading to discoverable gaps that have left us exposed throughout the season. Teams who use the 2 8's are more narrower in midfield and force their full backs into high, inverted positions to support the system. That is not something we do. On the transition, we leave our no. 6 and defence vulnerable.

2. The lack of midfield control and poor spacing throughout the middle of the pitch leaves our midfielders with very little time and space on the ball to make plays or control the ball. As a result, they rely on flicks to win duels because they are usuallt in less favourable situations with poor passing lanes available due to this. Way too much space in the middle. Bruno is essentially forced to make a lot of the risky passes fans criticize him for, because there are no easily available forward passing options. The alternative would be to pass it back and have very little influence on the game like our forwards tend to have due to hardly getting the ball.

3. Leading to the next problem. Which is, currently, when the ball goes back, due to a new strategy since the Sheffield United game. We hoof the ball forward, hoping for a knockdown, without the hold up ability ( Martial) or the physicality in midfield to win unfavourable second ball situations. This puts our forwards in consistently disadvantageous positions, which is why they lose the ball so often. It's not bad touches.

4. We then have a bigger defensive issue, which comes in the form of our fluid approach to defending. Whether marking or not, our flanks transitions are horrible. Our full backs are asked to invert and sometimes push up. Despite this, they don't really provide central support. This leads to space at the back the our full backs then have to track for and our defener hs o

It all feels so bleak at present. What happened to Hannibal? Not even in the squad. DVB on the bench last night - there should be an internal inquiry completed about his signing and while they're at it, a review of Maguire, Martial, Dalot, Lindelof, McTominay, Varane, Casemiro, Eriksen contracts and just get rid of the dross. We are in serious trouble where finishing top half would be an achievement right now. I have no faith that Ten Hag will pick the right team going forward and even if he does on paper, I don't have any faith in the players. It's sad. Maybe this is the end of my 26 year relationship with Man Utd and move on with my life.

I just don’t know if he’s got what it takes. He says all the right stuff, but in reality can’t make it happen and we’ve never truly come close to looking particularly great. Just the odd match or spell in matches here and there. I don’t think if we were to sack him he’d go on to do amazing things at another top team, but who knows, we seem to be where good goes to become shit.

I just don’t know if he’s got what it takes. He says all the right stuff, but in reality can’t make it happen and we’ve never truly come close to looking particularly great. Just the odd match or spell in matches here and there. I don’t think if we were to sack him he’d go on to do amazing things at another top team, but who knows, we seem to be where good goes to become shit.
He doesn’t say any of the right stuff though, he says some stuff that’s remotely close to some stuff Fergie used to say and people lap it up and start making bullshit comparisons between the two that all accumulate in an excuse to give him more time because Fergie got more time.

He doesn’t say any of the right stuff though, he says some stuff that’s remotely close to some stuff Fergie used to say and people lap it up and start making bullshit comparisons between the two that all accumulate in an excuse to give him more time because Fergie got more time.
I’m talking more about the football side of how he wants us to play etc. which we don’t do at all. To be fair I don’t even listen or read what he says anymore, it’s all fluff when we see utter dirt on the pitch.

I’m talking more about the football side of how he wants us to play etc. which we don’t do at all. To be fair I don’t even listen or read what he says anymore, it’s all fluff when we see utter dirt on the pitch.
Yeah exactly, the things he’s saying vs what we’re seeing are worlds apart at this point. One of the most damming things he’s said for me is that he will never have United playing like Ajax, despite that being the main reason he was hired and people wanted him here. Just sounds like he’s finding ways not to be judged.

There's something sinister going on at the club for 3 separate managers now to continually play the likes of McTominay, Rashford and Maguire and not try anything different.

And, just like those who came before him, Ten Hag will eventually lose his job due to playing dross like Rashford, McTominay and Maguire.

I think he's already on his way out. An absolute battering from Bayern and Liverpool should see him out.

Where’s the clap emoji when you need one!

This is it exactly. On the pitch he’s doing next to sod all but he’s winning people over in things that are quite frankly irrelevant if you can’t get your team to keep possession for more than 3 passes.

Based on the current run of form since just prior to the League Cup Final the man is only in a job because we’ve sacked so many managers before him & we’re in the midst of this investment.

He may well last the season but he will not be the manager of Manchester United next year. The new regime won’t want someone so dire if the football isn’t good, he’s an easy patsy & quite frankly he’s made himself one.

There's something sinister going on at the club for 3 separate managers now to continually play the likes of McTominay, Rashford and Maguire and not try anything different.

And, just like those who came before him, Ten Hag will eventually lose his job due to playing dross like Rashford, McTominay and Maguire.

I think he's already on his way out. An absolute battering from Bayern and Liverpool should see him out.
The only sinister thing that’s happened is we’ve give shit managers too much money to spend on shit players so they’ve had to resort to playing players that aren’t good enough to start for United.

This is it exactly. On the pitch he’s doing next to sod all but he’s winning people over in things that are quite frankly irrelevant if you can’t get your team to keep possession for more than 3 passes.

Based on the current run of form since just prior to the League Cup Final the man is only in a job because we’ve sacked so many managers before him & we’re in the midst of this investment.

He may well last the season but he will not be the manager of Manchester United next year. The new regime won’t want someone so dire if the football isn’t good, he’s an easy patsy & quite frankly he’s made himself one.

The new regime better have a plan in place for the actual players then when the exact same thing happens.

These players have simply downed tools again. Remember the training video right at the start when they were trying to do the quick passes? I don't see any improvement and I absolutely refuse to believe that for 2 managers and an interim in a row now have been unable to get these players playing differently.

As much as I hate to say it there is no way back for Ten Hag now, but the players are mostly at fault. They fecked Ole over on the end. They fecked Rangnick from the start and now Ten Hag screwed.

We will be having the exact same conversation in 2-3 years about the next manager too.

Exactly, I’d honestly be surprised if he can see out Christmas but I think it all depends on Ratcliffe coming in now, I doubt they’ll want to make any changes before then but then again they may just put a caretaker in charge if things get really desperate this month. The stuff we’re seeing on the pitch is up there with the worst we’ve been served in the last 10 years, but like you said, people are ignoring it for other factors that are totally irrelevant.

The new regime better have a plan in place for the actual players then when the exact same thing happens.

These players have simply downed tools again. Remember the training video right at the start when they were trying to do the quick passes? I don't see any improvement and I absolutely refuse to believe that for 2 managers and an interim in a row now have been unable to get these players playing differently.

As much as I hate to say it there is no way back for Ten Hag now, but the players are mostly at fault. They fecked Ole over on the end. They fecked Rangnick from the start and now Ten Hag screwed.

We will be having the exact same conversation in 2-3 years about the next manager too.
I think there’s a fair share of blame amongst multiple parties, manager & players. A lot of it rests above them as a number of the players shouldn’t be here.

I think EtH has to carry the can this season because if you bring someone else in, who can they put in midfield to keep the ball? An 18 year old from the academy & who?

One of the reasons I lay blame with EtH is he asked to have an overview on transfers & he’s not wholly fixed a single department in the team. Liverpool fixed their midfield in one Summer.

The only sinister thing that’s happened is we’ve give shit managers too much money to spend on shit players so they’ve had to resort to playing players that aren’t good enough to start for United.

Yes and no. If Murtough and Arnold had pulled their fingers out we could've had Antony and Martinez at a fraction of a price.

Their negligence is the fault here how much they paid for the players is nothing to do with Ten Hag.

ETH is totally out of his depth. Everyone and their grandma understands, that McTominay and Rashford don’t deserve playing time, yet ETH continues to start them.

We are being outplayed in midfield by every fecking team, yet he doesn’t change anything.

Yes and no. If Murtough and Arnold had pulled their fingers out we could've had Antony and Martinez at a fraction of a price.

Their negligence is the fault here how much they paid for the players is nothing to do with Ten Hag.

Why can't ETH say "I'm not spending half my summer budget on Antony"

Exactly, I’d honestly be surprised if he can see out Christmas but I think it all depends on Ratcliffe coming in now, I doubt they’ll want to make any changes before then but then again they may just put a caretaker in charge if things get really desperate this month. The stuff we’re seeing on the pitch is up there with the worst we’ve been served in the last 10 years, but like you said, people are ignoring it for other factors that are totally irrelevant.
As above, I actually don’t think it’d be fair to sack him half way through a season on the next manager. EtH has had £400mil to spend & I can’t look at a single facet of the team he has improved exponentially.

If someone came in after Liverpool, what can they do? That is on the Club mostly but EtH isn’t blameless.

Last edited:

He hasn’t done any technical training with the squad since April last year due to injuries, which is why we look so disjointed all over the pitch. Hes instead been giving them ‘homework’ on the opposition then isn’t the games as the ‘exam’. He’s waiting for his first choice 11 to get fit before he ups the training sessions again. They’ve been doing nothing but conditioning training, stuff like hard running.

You can blame the players all you want but they haven’t been helped at all.

My expectations are the lowest I have ever had, 10 years of a steady downfall has finally wobbled my head back to reality. I am not annoyed anymore, I do not demand us to beat any top half team. I accept that 6-7 are better than us in the PL and I can finally just watch us play and enjoy small glimpses of football, like the Garnacho goal or our youngsters have good displays.

I am convinced that ETH made a mistake in his transfers, he has really underestimated the PL thinking that anything that has played in the Dutch league would make it here. I also have a feeling that he doesn't know how to handle different personalities within the squad. Star players will have egos and it seems he doesn't know how to handle differences without creating bad blood. I am not saying he is in the wrong with players like Ronaldo and Sancho, just that it seems he doesn't know how to handle it in a 'clean' way.

As above, I actually don’t think it’d be fair to sack him half way through a season on the next manager. EtH has had £400mil to spend & I can look at a single facet of the team he has improved exponentially.

If someone came in after Liverpool, what can they do? That is on the Club mostly but EtH isn’t blameless.
Yep, agreed. I think the best thing is to probably give a caretaker a few months to steady the ship then bring someone in towards the end of the season to get to grips with a free hit, then have the summer to decide what the they want to do and come into the season knowing what the issues are and where we need to improve. Unless we’re appointing a manager that already manages in England, it always feels like it takes them until October to get to grips with everything.

I think player power is absolutely a thing at man united and has been for a long time. I hate to think how toxic it is and we have been saying this for years now. We sold players that were accused of it but it’s very obvious that some still remain and the same shite is happening all over again.

makes me think about the Ronaldo situation. Players couldn’t really say much too Ronaldo as it’s Ronaldo.. so when he called out players/got fed up with them, he was the one exiled for it. fast forward and he looks even more right. He called it. He called these players out for what they are and were back here. AGAIN. Player power is very real at man united.

He didn't call out anything. He threw a hissy fit because he couldn't accept that he's not a good player anymore and said some things in that interview that he knew would be lapped up by his fans. And I don't think how you expected him not to be exiled after stating he "doesn't respect the manager"...all the stuff he whined about could've been swept under the rug but openly saying that about your own manager? They rightly didn't let that one slide.

You also saw how we became much better without Ronaldo stinking up the place in the second half of the season. Yes, we are shit now but that doesn't have anything to do with him.

I find it funny how he and his devoted fans portray himself as this amazing disciplinarian, the best in the world at holding his players accountable, where in reality he doesn’t do that at all when it comes to on the pitch performance at all. Instead he will repeatedly try to play his most famous players into form by giving them every single minute.

He’s awesome at punishing things that are pretty much meaningless though like playing video games, being 1 min late for training or throwing a birthday party. Or asking his players to jog 14 km.

I find it funny how he and his devoted fans portray himself as this amazing disciplinarian, the best in the world at holding his players accountable, where in reality he doesn’t do that at all when it comes to on the pitch performance at all. Instead he will repeatedly try to play his most famous players into form by giving them every single minute.

He’s awesome at punishing things that are pretty much meaningless though like playing video games, being 1 min late for training or throwing a birthday party. Or asking his players to jog 14 km.

Where are these devoted fans? I genuinely fail to see a lunatic brigade fawning all over him like we had with previous managers.

If he doesn't rethink his midfield set ups he will deserve to get the sack. Not even about the individuals as such, he consistently, no matter the players available sets up in a way that massively exposes the defensive midfield player and CB's on and off the ball. The results away from home against decent teams show how inept a set up it is, can get away with it against the lesser teams due to better talent but against capable teams it falls apart.

Nothing to suggest that it is a well coached group, yet again we have fallen back on individual moments.

Yep, agreed. I think the best thing is to probably give a caretaker a few months to steady the ship then bring someone in towards the end of the season to get to grips with a free hit, then have the summer to decide what the they want to do and come into the season knowing what the issues are and where we need to improve. Unless we’re appointing a manager that already manages in England, it always feels like it takes them until October to get to grips with everything.
My biggest hope with this Ineos investment is that they recognise the scope of the club/job involved with the first team & at least with their first coach, limit their remit asking them to focus on coaching the team, getting the best out of what we have then adding/subtracting from it.

Even into next season we’ll have players who need to go but I don’t want the coach trying to win public PR battles in every press conference. His job should be to coach what he has & be judged as such, due to the club handing EtH the keys he’s now being judged on player recruitment which shouldn’t be solely down to his likes & dislikes.

There was no 'hype' ffs. It was a total left field choice and most hadn't even heard of the bloke.
I think most had heard of the guy & probably seen his big Champions League moments, I just highly doubt many were watching the Eredivisie too intently.

I didn’t!

In the UK there’s a big thing about being miss sold PPI, can I claim I’ve been miss sold EtH & get our £400mil back?

For me, ETH is the biggest disappointment of the lot, followed by Jose. Both of those are the only 2 managers post-Fergie that I actually wanted, and who I thought would be successful. It's very disappointing how it all worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.