Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is the most in-form team in the premier league now and how are their fans celebrating this mighty achievement?

How can anyone want this guy to continue? Useless!

When half these players that have been here for years and have always sulked when things don’t go there way leave first. I’m players out over manager at this stage. I’m tired of it. Not running and trying can never be a managers fault. This is on them!

Unfortunately it just doesn't appear likely that he's the manager to lead us forward. Last night was an abomination and is up there with the worst performances I've seen.
Let's not forget that it is he who picked Shaw at CB when we have 2 CBs on the bench and put Dalot LB who was atrocious btw, one of the poorest defenders we've had and a few good crosses over a season will never make up for that.
If Then Hag has any genuine desire to remain manager he needs to start growing some balls and benching Rashford for the season because his lack of application is unforgivable and is genuinely a slap in the face for all supporters who spend hard earned cash to follow United. Along with Martial they've both seen off multiple managers and it looks like Erik is next.

Starting Mctom all these games in a row shows he is more Jose than Pep. Only cares about the result not the process.

Then why did ETH not change Martial and Rashford at halftime? How can the continue on the pitch if their work rate is not good enough?

How the hell should I know.

I'd have hooked them off after 15 minutes.

Not one victory away against top 8 in 16 months.. That would be fine if we saw some progression or good management decisions.

But what I'm seing is a delusional and stubborn manager which constantly try the same crap which constantly fails.

Can ETH fans tell me what's improving?

He looks way out of his depth with signings especially. I actually like the keeper Onana better than any of his other signings going forward.

Mount and Amrabat are brought in to control the midfield and don’t do anything… Casemiro is on a retirement tour and Antony is perhaps our worst signing ever for the price.

Our shape is all wrong and now we are relying on an 18 year old youth player?

We have a striker who leads the line with 0 goals in the league for half a season. Good luck with no experience as main striker with zero wingers who cross unless your R9 or Rooney :lol:

I can't wait for Martinez to come back so that we can play as well as Newcastle do with Lascelles.

Last edited:
Starting Mctom all these games in a row shows he is more Jose than Pep. Only cares about the result not the process.
Him starting McAnonymous really doesn’t get scrutinised enough.

He was willing to let the guy go & because his midfield signings are either too old [Casemiro + Eriksen], too crap [Amrabat] or not central midfielders [Mount] we find ourselves relying on Scott.

I can’t stand the sight of McAverage in midfield but imagine where we’d be without him. I keep saying it but look at the profile of player EtH has purchased & it is clear as day he has not come to terms with the league he’s in.

Antony, Malacia, Martinez, Mount, Eriksen, even Onana. All lack physicality. You’ve then got Hojlund, talented but a bit Bambi on ice & the artist formerly known as Casemiro. How a club of this size can allow this guy to spend what he has on such dross is unbelievable.

He looks way out of his depth with signings
I was listening to OtC the other week & the Spanish guy made a good point.

EtH is not a Scout or Director of Football so it’s hard to ‘blame’ him for a part of the job he shouldn’t be doing but the trouble is his terrible recruitment mean he doesn’t have the tools at his disposal he should have in games.

Him being out of his depth with recruitment shouldn’t come as a surprise, what we should all be. startled about is how badly coached this group are.

Losing how we did to this Newcastle team really has burst the ‘not got his first choice players out there’ bubble.

Edit: When I say Martinez lacks physicality I mean he’s undersized no matter how you look at it. He’s obviously a ‘fighter’ but he has a clear physical weakness.

Let's not forget that it is he who picked Shaw at CB when we have 2 CBs on the bench and put Dalot LB who was atrocious btw, one of the poorest defenders we've had and a few good crosses over a season will never make up for that.

Out of all the bad decisions and players, this is the one you emphasise first? Awb was just as bad if not worse, and he even played in his natural position.

At least focus on the real problems in that 11. That's not Dalot.

Him starting McAnonymous really doesn’t get scrutinised enough.

He was willing to let the guy go & because his midfield signings are either too old [Casemiro + Eriksen], too crap [Amrabat] or not central midfielders [Mount] we find ourselves relying on Scott.

I can’t stand the sight of McAverage in midfield but imagine where we’d be without him. I keep saying it but look at the profile of player EtH has purchased & it is clear as day he has not come to terms with the league he’s in.

Antony, Malacia, Martinez, Mount, Eriksen, even Onana. All lack physicality. You’ve then got Hojlund, talented but a bit Bambi on ice & the artist formerly known as Casemiro. How a club of this size can allow this guy to spend what he has on such dross is unbelievable.
The moment McTominay scored those 2 goals I was worried that he would just start every game from there on.

Can anyone think of a match that we have dominated this season? Even the wins feel like they are 50-50’s that could have gone either way!

ETH’s refusal to change tactics or formation is beyond ridiculous. We clearly need two deeper midfielders to get any semblance of control on a game. Even moving to three centre backs while we have so many midfielders out injured might be the way to go, it just feels like he is so stubborn that his ideas must work he will keep going with it until he gets sacked.
I feel so sorry for Mainoo. An 18 year old novice basically was asked to cover the whole midfield last night- it’s ridiculous

On workrate of the team tonight: "You could say we defended quite well [as per the statistics], but I prefer for us to stay further away from our goal. I'd prefer us to have more of the ball and play in their half. We had our moments where we could make good movements but it was not enough. We need to be more dominant in a game.

He's said this a few times but we look un coached in possession play. Maybe that is his coaching in that regard, just telling the group they need to try and have more of the ball.

Said it months ago, fell into the trap of turning to the same shite that got his predecessors sacked.

As bad as Rashford was yesterday, Scott Mctominay was right there with him...Cowardly midfield performance

Can anyone think of a match that we have dominated this season? Even the wins feel like they are 50-50’s that could have gone either way!

ETH’s refusal to change tactics or formation is beyond ridiculous. We clearly need two deeper midfielders to get any semblance of control on a game. Even moving to three centre backs while we have so many midfielders out injured might be the way to go, it just feels like he is so stubborn that his ideas must work he will keep going with it until he gets sacked.
I feel so sorry for Mainoo. An 18 year old novice basically was asked to cover the whole midfield last night- it’s ridiculous
I can barely think of one last season outside of the post world cup spell where we were playing bottom half sides at home.

We could easily be on 12 points rather than 24 so far. Understat 'expected points' has us on 17. What if our luck had gone the other way.

On workrate of the team tonight: "You could say we defended quite well [as per the statistics], but I prefer for us to stay further away from our goal. I'd prefer us to have more of the ball and play in their half. We had our moments where we could make good movements but it was not enough. We need to be more dominant in a game.

He's said this a few times but we look un coached in possession play. Maybe that is his coaching in that regard, just telling the group they need to try and have more of the ball.
Good luck with that. Maguire doesn't allow us to play the high line imo.

ETH has turned us into a long ball team. Hoof it and hope appears to be the main plan. There is no plan to progress through midfield, no plan or structure to play out.

Its kick and rush at its absolute worst.

We have been awful all season, not one good performance, we can't control games with possesion nor control games out of possession.

What is the plan? There is no defined plan or structure it's just hit and hope. We signed a ball playing GK to smash long balls to our wingers, what the feck is that?

I think it’s beyond changing tactics & formations with EtH. He’s had £400 mil to retool this squad & Antony can’t even make the 11 ahead of Rashford.

The only characters he’s bought with that spend are Martinez & Casemiro, who are both unfortunately injured but even in their year at the club they’ve taken record pummellings they’d not done in their careers.

EtH can not simply change a formation to recover this, we’re £400mil & 18 months on yet he’s still relying on old rope.

His comments regarding Rashford are a disgrace. He's just another coward who is well out of his depth at a big club. He's no better than Moyes with his "we'll make it difficult" nonsense

We wont be there at the half way point of the season as were play Liverpool, Villa, Chelsea and West Ham away.

Chelsea is at home, but your point is still valid, of course.

Has to rip it up and start again. Hannibal, Mainoo, Garnarcho, Hojland - he needs energy over egos. If the kids are the only ones that will put in the hard yards, than so be it. Hell, get Gore in there, he will 100% attempt and complete more passes than McTominay.

That performance needs a response, and the response has to be brutal. If ETH isn't confident enough in his position to do that, then he needs to go.

He's clearly wrapped Marcus Rashford MBE in gold-laced cotton wool and he's still not coddled enough to break a sweat. So f*ck him, he can go 'train' with Sancho.

The only mystery to me is Varane. I don't care that Maguire and Varane kick a ball with the same foot. They are the two best fit centre backs at the club, and therefore should be training together, driving together, playing FIFA together until they form a good partnership. Then you free up your only decent left back to play left back, have aerial presence in both boxes and the whole team improves. His obsession with 'footedness' is like worrying about a carpet stain while your house burns down.

Riiiight. So if Sancho is so lazy as you say, why did this manager not get rid in the summer when he had the chance? Why did he play him false 9 in pre-season, where Sancho played well and scored, before giving him two paltry sub appearances at left-wing come August? It doesn

But let us say that effort has been an issue for years. Yet he got better numbers as a teenager than Cristiano and Messi at the same age COMBINED. Any manager with a talent like that tries to be as accomodating as possible to a talent on that level. Instead the club has ended up assassinating his character and effectively burned bridges with him to back a failing manager that has lost the entire dressing room.

You can attack Sancho’s professionalism and character all you like. It doesn’t change the fact that Ten Hag brought this upon himself by airing out the dirty laundry in public which did nothing but write off our £72 million signing. What was the benefit from what Ten Hag did? Has it improved squad morale? No, it has seemingly worsened it. Has it improved his authority? No, signs of a mutiny are brewing and several players are visibly unhappy or they have checked out. All we achieved was to humiliate Sancho and turn the fans against him to the extent he has had to deactivate his instagram due to social media pile-ons. That’s not firm and fair management. That is bullying.

A manager that expects superstars to act like school children for him has no business managing a big club like United. Especially not a manager that has achieved as little as Ten Hag. Especially not a manager who has been responsible for us losing 7-0 at Anfield. Get a grip.

How Ten Hag has handled the Sancho situation is consistent with his other crazy decisions from the signings to the tactics.
Honestly, I’m not even gonna bother reading your whole post because I see the issue right in your first sentence.
He didn’t (or rather couldn’t) sell him for the same reason why Martial, Mctominay etc. are Manchester United players in 2023. These guys are unshiftable. We gave them mad wages and they are just happy to chill, collect them and show minimum effort. When the going gets tough, they just down tools and onto the next guy. And here lies the issue, this is the culture and mentality in this club. People ask why did the Newcastle players ran and pressed more than us. Here is your answer.

When Sancho started travelling around the world, visiting different night clubs when he was frozen out, instead of showing a glimpse of desire to get back into the team, told me everything I needed to know about this guy. And don’t give me this shit about “oh, he felt he was right”. Bullshit, you publicly call out your manager that he’s a liar and he is a model professional that’s made a scapegoat. What did you expect to happen? He wasn’t even that harsh ten Hag. How anyone can side with that guy is a mistery to me at this point.

I hope he gets sacked - with a 50 million pound pay off. He came here with the promise of being the biggest club in the world. Instead he gets a budget for top 8 PL club in England, nevermind the world. kane was available, but wasnt bought. Man United should be briming with the very best of the world. The Bellinghams, the kanes, the modric, the Mbappes, the lautare martinez. Instead its all 2nd or 3rd rate 40 mill keeprs and meagre 60 mill midfieldres like mount. Last day loan signgings, like bottom half clubs do. Man Utd needed a huge overhaul, said Rangnick. And overhaul with top, to footballers but instead its all 2n rate and unbefitting a top coach a modern coach like Ten Hag. So, yes, he should be sacked so he can go to a club that really supprts top football. The other person thats needs sacking, today, is ''rashy'' rashford. Guide him into his 300k mclaren sportscar and kick him out the gates now. He should pay Man Utd to play, not getting anything. Imvery sorry, but the above is the truth. The Glazers have reduced what once was the biggest club in the world to a laughing stock, not least bcs of their valuation of the club. 6 billion was a generous offer but no, not the Glazers. Leeches is what they are. And i feel bad for the real fans. They deserve better. They desreve the best. Not this 2nd and 3rd rate player bunch.

He needs to go back to the basics otherwise he'll be lucky to make it to the winter break. Playing one DM and 2 number 10s against a physical powerhouse like Newcastle is just suicidal. Especially when your DM is 18 and your 2 extra midfielders are Bruno who's lightweight and Mctominay who's just not smart enough despite having the physical tools to play a role in midfield. Guimaraes and Joelinton just steamrolled us.
Disastrous.

Reading social media at the stick he is getting makes me sad :( it’s really reflective of us over the last 10 years. It’s de-ja vu yet again. When he came in it’s the most hope we have felt collectively in a long time but the cycle is happening again. This job breaks managers. I’m sure of it. When Jose said second place with this team was his biggest ever achievement I actually believe him now. At the time I didn’t . Ralf rangnick said we needed open heart surgery on the club and got thrown under the bus.. yet he was right. He was so so right. We’re completely devoid of ideas and direction.

and still we have these players trudging around the pitch like a Sunday stroll. The likes of martial, mctominay and rashford, disappearing, backing out of tackles, shrugging their shoulders. It’s beggars belief how they are still playing for us? I can’t get my head around it. We all know it’s down to the massive contracts they are given.. but how are they still getting picked? Is there more to this? Are people higher up making decisions? Do they have something in there contracts saying they have to play? Is there just no other options? It’s literally insane that this continues to happen after all these years.

I’m completely and utterly of the opinion I want to see these players leave before I want the manager to go. I’m tired of them picking and choosing when to turn up. The minimum expectation is that you try. You run. You do the basics. It’s inexcusable at this point. Feck off out of our club.

ETH gets sacked. We get a new manager, do well until we don’t. Then these same players give up and the manager gets the sack. Rinse and repeat. Is no one else tired of this?

Reading social media at the stick he is getting makes me sad :( it’s really reflective of us over the last 10 years. It’s de-ja vu yet again. When he came in it’s the most hope we have felt collectively in a long time but the cycle is happening again. This job breaks managers. I’m sure of it. When Jose said second place with this team was his biggest ever achievement I actually believe him now. At the time I didn’t . Ralf rangnick said we needed open heart surgery on the club and got thrown under the bus.. yet he was right. He was so so right. We’re completely devoid of ideas and direction.

and still we have these players trudging around the pitch like a Sunday stroll. The likes of martial, mctominay and rashford, disappearing, backing out of tackles, shrugging their shoulders. It’s beggars belief how they are still playing for us? I can’t get my head around it. We all know it’s down to the massive contracts they are given.. but how are they still getting picked? Is there more to this? Are people higher up making decisions? Do they have something in there contracts saying they have to play? Is there just no other options? It’s literally insane that this continues to happen after all these years.

I’m completely and utterly of the opinion I want to see these players leave before I want the manager to go. I’m tired of them picking and choosing when to turn up. The minimum expectation is that you try. You run. You do the basics. It’s inexcusable at this point. Feck off out of our club.

You do realise he can start most of tje games without those three players and keeps picking them every week? Why are you ignoring that?

Why on earth do you think he can't start a game without fecking Scott Mctominay?

When half these players that have been here for years and have always sulked when things don’t go there way leave first. I’m players out over manager at this stage. I’m tired of it. Not running and trying can never be a managers fault. This is on them!

I'm of the same school of thought.

I've said it before simply changing the manager will not make any difference. There needs to be a total overhaul of the playing staff and a proper plan put in place to build a side with the brains, technical and physical capabilities to play football and outmuscle and out fight the opposition. Too many times these players give up on 50/50s or just watch a player dance away from them or give the ball away cheaply under minimal pressure.

Anyone who’s not willing to work hard as a basic requirement can go.

You do realise he can start most of tje games without those three players and keeps picking them every week? Why are you ignoring that?

Why on earth do you think he can't start a game without fecking Scott Mctominay?

Read the post again. I’m asking if there is more to the fact these players keep getting picked because it beggars belief. This has been every manager for a while now. This same cycle.

One of the key things that stood out in the Newcastle game was just how physically strong and dynamic they were as a team. In almost every position their players were stronger and more dynamic than ours. Their midfield of Bruno and Joe completely outmuscled ours, their wingers are so much more dynamic than ours and Isak was a handful the entire game. Our squad on the other hand just seems to be deficient in players who not only have the technical ability but also are strong and dynamic in their play.

Read the post again. I’m asking if there is more to the fact these players keep getting picked because it beggars belief. This has been every manager for a while now. This same cycle.

There isn't, stop imagining things. Only possible is Rashford, but I don't believe even that is the case because someone would say that all these years. Martial and Mctominay are nowhere near good enough or on big contracts for manager to need to start him, not even our board id that stupid. And they were dropped for weeks at certain periods anyway.

He will eventually get the sack, that is inevitable, and he will leave the team needing a new starting GK, CB, 2 CMs, RM, ST and probably LW. An absolute crime after wasting half a billion.

Bullshit, you publicly call out your manager that he’s a liar and he is a model professional that’s made a scapegoat. What did you expect to happen? He wasn’t even that harsh ten Hag. How anyone can side with that guy is a mistery to me at this point.

I think we're perfectly allowed to question his management when he doesn't deliver himself.

I'm not sure if you have managed people yourself, but outing players/employees publicly is a very risky and a stupid move unless you are certain the player will respond to it. This very rarely work out well, even though the manager is "right".

What you want, is the player to go into "IMprove-mode" , but you end up with "prove-mode" (the player feels humiliated and is trying to defend himself)

It's industrial man-management, and it's a reason it's obsolete and almost never works.

There isn't, stop imagining things. Only possible is Rashford, but I don't believe even that is the case because someone would say that all these years. Martial and Mctominay are nowhere near good enough or on big contracts for manager to need to start him, not even our board id that stupid. And they were dropped for weeks at certain periods anyway.

I think player power is absolutely a thing at man united and has been for a long time. I hate to think how toxic it is and we have been saying this for years now. We sold players that were accused of it but it’s very obvious that some still remain and the same shite is happening all over again.

makes me think about the Ronaldo situation. Players couldn’t really say much too Ronaldo as it’s Ronaldo.. so when he called out players/got fed up with them, he was the one exiled for it. fast forward and he looks even more right. He called it. He called these players out for what they are and were back here. AGAIN. Player power is very real at man united.

He will eventually get the sack, that is inevitable, and he will leave the team needing a new starting GK, CB, 2 CMs, RM, ST and probably LW. An absolute crime after wasting half a billion.
Likely 2 CBs. Very few managers will want a physically lacking centre half in the PL. We also need a new RB.

If he still keeps picking rashford he’ll get sacked.
Same can be said for McTominay.
It’s at the point he has to put Hannibal or Gore in there. So what if they are young they cannot possibly be as poor as what we’ve seen recently.
It feels at the moment that he picks the same players and just crosses his fingers that something will change. He has to do that himself….

Status
Not open for further replies.