Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ferguson won a CL away game 3-1 with a back five of Kuszczak , Park at RB with Fletcher and Carrick as CBs and Evra at LB. Some people are seriously saying that after £410m spent we shouldn't expect any better than the torrid shite that has been served up game after game this season even taking into account injuries?

Agreed the games United have been struggling with are the ones that should merit far better performances.

Another interesting time argument (that the forums love at this point) in the example of Arteta is something which was a clear demonstration of his potential as a manager was his frequency even in the bad seasons to go on unbeaten runs. So all Arsenal did with backing the manager was allow him to implement players into his system so the frequencies of those good runs compounded itself overtime then eventually they end up challenging.

Erik has given the fans and his superior's very little for us to assess what his impact is like over a 3 year stretch. We can all use vocabulary like direct, press or turnover but these phrases have no substance because they aren't being executed effectively at any level to give the manager even an ounce of credibility with coaching.

From my perspective the best I've seen this team is around the period when the club played Chelsea's Potter at the bridge last season. There was tangibility seeing what the team was doing in possession, in recovery of the ball and trying to break down the opposition when Rashford who was performing well playing through the middle as a centre forward but wasn't scoring / clinical enough to merit his efforts at the time.

That period is the best I've seen this United team play and if the manager had any diligence that would have been the hallmark to move forward with. But we arrive at the summer window, Erik states his desire to be a transition team and the club signed the players they did, ripping up the successive elements in play of last season and starts the discovery for identity process all over again, but with more pressure due to spending and higher risk for his management position.

We can all voice concerns about the hierarchies ineptitude with their ability to plan etc but that scrutiny also lands right on the managers lap. Erik has poorly planned almost everything from gaining so much traction last season. I personally refuse to see the players, injuries and the ownership at fault for that.

Last edited:
I mean I liked Juan Sebastian as much as the next guy but he's 48 ffs. This penchant for aging Galacticos has to stop.

Rubbish he's good for another 5 years now he's dropped out of midfield.

I am a little bit worried from how he talks up the performance today. Hope its just mediatalk and he gives the team the real deal behind closed doors.
Its always the same, when we win we ”dominate” and plays good and when we loose its ”not good enough”
The performance is the same in most matches though, and to take anything else than the result as a positive from this match is a huge mistake imo.

Still thinks he got it in him to turn this around, but its going the wrong way right now, even with todays win.
Yeah. The postmatch is an outright lie. Fulham even had chances to win this game. Individual brilliant goal in injury time to grab the win doesn't change the fact we lack a vision to play for victory. A draw would be fair result for Fulham.

Sorry, but what is he supposed to say?
Most of the team are proven to be fragile.
They need talking up, they need confidence.

Yeah. The postmatch is an outright lie. Fulham even had chances to win this game. Individual brilliant goal in injury time to grab the win doesn't change the fact we lack a vision to play for victory. A draw would be fair result for Fulham.
And a good result for us based on the performance.

Thats whats needs to change. We can win the next ten matches on luck and grit, if the performances dont change for the better it will always be a false dawn and the points will dry up.

Happy with the victory?! Show character rather than performance?!

If this is a good performance, then Sancho had the case about ETH lied about expectation because Sancho could very well produce similar kind of underwhelming scrappy performance.

That they showed good fighting spirit and never gave up. Scored a good goal and showed togetherness. He can of course say what he wants to and he knows much more than me how the group reacts, but they are profesionals and have played football for a long time, they know this is not a good performance, so to hear their manager says they dominated must feel wierd.

As i said, i dont know, but i feel likes Ten Haags post match speaks are much more result influenced than other managers.

This, bizarrely, seems irrelevant to Caftards and pundits alike.
Its debatable whether the injuries all at once are just down to bad luck or poor training/fitness conditioning. Instead of getting the players fitter and stronger, we've instead ended with a bunch of injuries. Lets hope they get the balance right going forwards.

Ferguson won a CL away game 3-1 with a back five of Kuszczak , Park at RB with Fletcher and Carrick as CBs and Evra at LB. A world class manager will find a way, and even if they don't they won't look as pathetic in the process. Some people are seriously saying that after £410m spent we shouldn't expect any better than the torrid shite that has been served up game after game this season?

It's easy to quote the 410m spent than address what he's brought in. 6 players that you could consider first team starters. Onana, Martinez, Eriksen, Casemiro Antony, Hojlund. The rest were all backup and loan options.

Half this squad have looked pathetic and played shite against worse opposition than Fulham. But, it's easy to say ETH should do better where Jose, Ralf and Ole failed.

Anyway, I'm on the fence on this one. Doesn't matter to me if he stays or goes. I'm convinced that even if he stays and the clubs sets a proper structure in place to rebuild the squad we're looking at 3 years before any realistic title challenge can be made. If he goes, then you have a pick'n'mix squad from 4 managers to get someone else in to try and work their magic. It's going to be 3 years anyway.

Maybe the next guy will do it? Probably not, this squad is just not good enough. That's the truth. Doesn't matter who comes in, unless they are given a proper structure and a setup with free reign to dismember this frankensteins monster of a squad and focus only on what players can deliver on the pitch. We'll be having these same manager out discussions every 18 months forever.

Was a crucial 3 points. Especially with Luton Town coming up next weekend it's a chance to start putting some points on the board and for ETH to catch his breath a little bit, but fecking hell, the football is currently atrocious. As bad as it's ever been over the past decade. He needs to hold on until Radcliffe comes in, but the way we're playing I'm really not sure if he will.

Last season you were playing pragmatically to get the best out of the players you had because you couldn’t develop your field game with DDG stuck on his line and unable to distribute.
This season you’re going through a very difficult change process as TH starts to implement modern progressive football and your players are struggling through the learning curve.

IMO you should be careful what you wish for because regressing back to last seasons style of play would be the the opposite of progress.
Be brave, stick with the task and it’ll pay dividends in future seasons.
Give this poster a like, this is spot on.

Sort of must have had some quality last year scoring 30? Or do you think those were all tap ins, down to other players, or some sort of fluke?
He had a good year, he's had lots of bad years.

Happy with the victory?! Show character rather than performance?!

If this is a good performance, then Sancho had the case about ETH lied about expectation because Sancho could very well produce similar kind of underwhelming scrappy performance.

I feel most of what a manager says to the media/press is nonsense to warm up the wet napy of the crying child begging for something.

People really shouldn’t read anything into it, its a pundits or rag papers job to twist a narrative depending on which way the wind is blowing, people don’t have to eat the bullsh*t

If a manager wins, it doesn’t matter what they say. If they lose or are struggling, they are fair game for a free for all of twisting what they say to do as much damage as possible.

I miss Fergie treating the media like sh*t and shovelling them sh*t.

Last season you were playing pragmatically to get the best out of the players you had because you couldn’t develop your field game with DDG stuck on his line and unable to distribute.
This season you’re going through a very difficult change process as TH starts to implement modern progressive football and your players are struggling through the learning curve.

IMO you should be careful what you wish for because regressing back to last seasons style of play would be the the opposite of progress.
Be brave, stick with the task and it’ll pay dividends in future seasons.
If hoof it long to Hojlund is modern progressive football then I'm Sir Alex Ferguson.

And we have Varane and Reguilon sat on the bench. ETH's top two midfield targets sat with them.
Reguilon is more of a hinderance than help. Awful footballer and not fit to wear a United shirt if you ask me.

One of the worst defensive players in the league so I can understand Ten Hag only relying on him if nobody else is available.

I feel most of what a manager says to the media/press is nonsense to warm up the wet napy of the crying child begging for something.

People really shouldn’t read anything into it, its a pundits or rag papers job to twist a narrative depending on which way the wind is blowing, people don’t have to eat the bullsh*t
The issue is ETH doesn't get the good balancing of distracting the media from the issue as seen with Sancho case, putting pressure on the referee, and shielding our teams from media attention.

People don't have to defend the an inexcusable.

Our team on the whole isnt a 'small' team though. Look at Pep's teams over the years, the two Silvas, Jesus, Gundogan, Aguero. All must be under 5'9? and yet his teams will constantly outwork and outrun you, win the ball back effortlessly. So its nothing to do with the stature of the players signed, its the mentality and workrate. Stick Mount in the City team and we see a different player.
Wrong. Those 5 players are amongst the most technical players ever graced the PL, maybe bar Jesus. Aguero and D Silva were faster than Antony.

If Pep wanted Mount he would have signed him.

I think Ten Hag would help his cause enormously if he abandoned Antony. It would demonstrate that he recognised that he had made a massive error of judgement, instead of the current situation where it appears that Ten Hag still has faith in such an underwhelming signing.

Fernandes and Rashford should get fewer mins; it really shouldn't be an issue to bench a player in poor form, or take them off after 60 mins.
Agree but Pellistri is hardly a world beater and Amad is also unproven. Neto in January please.

Agree but Pellistri is hardly a world beater and Amad is also unproven. Neto in January please.
A sad thing that on top of all these new managers and big names we bought, all these promising youngsters we have recruited or that were famous in our academy over the past 10 years never amounted to much.

And a good result for us based on the performance.

Thats whats needs to change. We can win the next ten matches on luck and grit, if the performances dont change for the better it will always be a false dawn and the points will dry up.
Yes. There is a reason our goal difference is so bad. It might be the most simplest and significant metric to measure our performance under ETH.

Just watching Kudus do so well at WHU makes you question his sanity about going for Antony. Just crazy

You named a bunch of players that have had injuries but are acting like each one has happened at the same time. Trust me I’d understand if we were playing horribly with 9 first choice players all out simultaneously but it’s not the case.

Yes I’m quite aware how building attacks works it’s why I raged against De Gea last season for being inept and was happy to see us go after Onana. But this isn’t a situation where we are getting suffocated in our own half because our defenders can’t get it into the midfield/final third. We progress the ball well enough there but are completely hopeless in the final third and our structure in the opposition half is so poor that we get easily countered anyways. That’s strictly on ETH whether you like it or not. He’s the one that chose to buy a 60m attacking mid without a true position and an 80m winger that might be the worst attacker in the entire league. Both of those decisions were his alone, and he continues to select a group of players that lack either sufficient technicality or physicality to give us this mismashed lineup of profiles without a clear identity or style. That’s also strictly on the manager.

Last year it was understandable that we weren’t that dangerous going forward. We had 0 fit strikers and were largely looking to build a solid base to grind out results. But it’s year 2 now and weve gone significantly backwards while the manager looks so out of ideas that he’s starting Scott McTominay every game to hope he can bundle one in while offering nothing in the midfield.
Many of them have been out for significant periods at the same time but the fact we’ve had so many is also the concern. It’s impossible to get a clear pattern of play in place with so much chopping and changing that is forced on you.

We have to compensate for our slowly ball progressions and the inability of Maguire and Evans to play the higher line.

I actually think both of them have done an excellent job all things considered but they just don’t enable us to play the same
Style of play.

It’s not strictly on Ten Hag it’s a direct result of our injury depleted squad. He’s absolutely responsible for some of the issues but not all.

Surely a director of football and other departments have a big say in our recruitment or at least should do and I maintain that at the time of signing Antony there wasn’t an available and willing alternative around at the level and readiness that Antony appeared to be at.

To this day nobody has named me a viable alternative to him they just say we should sign a different left footed RW. It’s only this season that people have mentioned Diaby but he wasn’t at all considered by any here in the season we signed Antony.

I think you’re judging these signings and the profiles too soon. Mount, Højlund and Onana (the main signings) all absolutely fit the more physical and technical profile. Antony for his flaws absolutely works physically hard in offence and defence and technically has improved our ball retention in the final third, Eriksen has outstanding technical ability but lacks the physical side (however was a free transfer) and then Casemiro was transformative last season but I think is struggling due to lack of quality understudy.

The fact we’re still picking up points is a good thing and I’m happy to be patient until this gets better.

Brighton didn't spent 70m on Antony, 60m on Mount and 60m on Caseimro though. Are Brighton our standards now?
Brighton are a better ran footballing operation than we are.

They also have nowhere near the global reputation that we have which results in prices rising for us.

Brighton are a better ran footballing operation than we are.

They also have nowhere near the global reputation that we have which results in prices rising for us.

They also don't have half the funds United have but I guess we shouldn't count that because bad Glazers or whatever?

We are losing games because Erik is a stubborn mule. What does he see in training that just Antony starting a game, is Antony beating AWB consistently? Is he scoring or assisting goals in training? He wants us to the best transition team, I see a very slow team out there. Maguire and Evans was so slow in the build-up, we had so much possession because we pass the ball around in defence. Does it mean how we play depend on who is available? Then forget going saying what principle the team should have because it will change in every game as personnel changes. He is living by the game, I mentioned that we win in injury time and it happen. We spend the whole game doing nothing and last 10 mins trying to score. I guess we are finally seeing ETH football.

People holding ETH completely responsible for signings not being good enough is getting tedious.
Yep. Don't get me wrong he'd wrong on his picks but structurally he shouldn't have the full say

Status
Not open for further replies.