Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like ETH, I like what he seems to stand for, his attitude and interviews. I liked him when he coached in holland and was delighted we got him.

I however see no progress on the pitch. We don’t look like a well drilled team that has a game plan. We don’t look like we’re have any patterns of play, and structure defensively or in attack.

Our recruitment has been shocking.

All in all, I’m sick of this team, totally unenthusiastic about how we play, our results and how we just seem to stumble from issue to issue.

I’m all for ETH having all the time needed, especially having to deal with the ownership circus, but for me time has run out for him to show what he’s trying to implement.

I see no progress.

This.

Just think ETH has found his level and it isn't enough to compete with the other, better managers in the Premiership. Jaap Staam was stating only yesterday the Eridervisie is easier than the Premiership so you cannot just take your management strategy like-for-like, from one league to another. Staam also said that SMT is a good player but needs coaching.

All very obvious really. Emery has settled in at Villa. Klopp has sorted things and built a new team. Ange' has come in at Spurs. De Zerbi is doing well. Pep is Pep. Howe is doing a solid job. Even Moyes seems to be managing his team better that ETH, at least they're organised.

ETH has been found out.

He's reaching a bit pointing out ball won stats. If you can't defend your team in a stronger fashion I think that's somewhat telling.

Last edited:
If he's going to rely on the likes of Shaw, Bruno, Antony, Rashford etc to save his job, then he'll be on Jobseekers Allowance quicker than he can say "heh"

This.

Just think ETH has found his level and it isn't enough to compete with the other, better managers in the Premiership. Jaap Staam was stating only yesterday the Eridervisie is easier than the Premiership so you cannot just take your management strategy like-for-like, from one league to another. Staam also said that SMT is a good player but needs coaching.

All very obvious really. Emery has settled in at Villa. Klopp has sorted things and built a new team. Ange' has come in at Spurs. De Zerbi is doing well. Pep is Pep. Howe is doing a solid job. Even Moyes seems to be managing his team better that ETH, at least they're organised.

ETH has been found out.
So all of last season is undone? Maybe let's wait until key players return?

We've been awful this season but been winning recently.

ETH has been found out.

The only one who's been found out is our board. The level of transfer support is shambolic.

With a serious board we'd have Kim from day one, not scrapping the bottom of the barrel with Evans.

The only one who's been found out is our board. The level of transfer support is shambolic.

With a serious board we'd have Kim from day one, not scrapping the bottom of the barrel with Evans.

We don't have enough Eredivisie players in the squad?

With Jim and Joel working on the football side, we'll be asking Bruce to come out of retirement

We don't have enough Eredivisie players in the squad?
Quite the opposite. Proper support for the manager would mean that he wouldn't have to rely on his own knowledge but would be presented reasonable options from elsewhere as well. The amount of signings that played for or against EtH while being at Ajax is indeed worrying.

We have been here so many times before after Fergie retired. After a promising start and when everyone expect us to to take the next step we just fall apart again and again. Then we discuss other managers able to implement a new style quickly at other clubs. I do not for one second believe that any of those would turn things around here at all. Maybe a good start, but things would end up like this again. Rinse and repeat.

Ten Hags had plenty of transfer support. £400m in two seasons... How much support should he be given? Another £200m?

Its just not been spent well. That's the problem and has been the problem for a decade.

I’m actually amazed how inept the transfer front has been. A monkey throwing darts would have landed on at least a couple of decent players in the billons have spunked. Absolutely fecking bizzare how shite they are at their jobs.

Ten Hags had plenty of transfer support. £400m in two seasons... How much support should he be given? Another £200m?

Its just not been spent well. That's the problem and has been the problem for a decade.
Exactly. It's not about the amount of money, it is a lack of support in deciding what to spend the money on.

It seems to be a common misconception on this forum that the Glazers don't allow spending enough money on the squad, but it is also something that I believe many fans and the Glazers actually share - they try to just throw money at the squad and hope it improves stuff. There seems to be no process to clarify what kind of players are needed and who fits that profile, they just splash it on whoever the manager likes. That's not support, that is a way to spoil a child.

I’m actually amazed how inept the transfer front has been. A monkey throwing darts would have landed on at least a couple of decent players in the billons have spunked. Absolutely fecking bizzare how shite they are at their jobs.

Its honestly diabolical. You look through the players we've signed and for the amounts and it makes your eyes water. What's worse is that we haven't learned as a club to bin off the real mistakes quickly. We hold on to these shits for far too long, hoping or praying they'd suddenly step up another few years and become quality players.

Its just shambolic. A proper circus.

After 18 or so months, I don't see any discernible progress on the pitch, we are very much dependant on players' form rather than being dependant on a formula that can work regardless of players' form, Ten Hag is super insistent on his favorites such Antony, Bruno, Rashford and Casmiro, and they have been crap this season, and this is not to say we have an amazing bench that Ten Hag is underutilizing but players should be benched when they drop a clanger, Antony or Bruno for example should've been dropped at least once in the last few games, not dropping them means that they know that no matter how they perform they are guaranteed a start.

Probably would have had the money for Kim if he didn’t spunk 90m on Antony though? Or 55m on Mount who he doesn’t even know how to fit in the team. He’s had 400m+ in 12 months he’s been backed

Since a very fortunate cup win, our record is shocking. A negative goal difference and less than 50% win rate. Aside from a poor Chelsea at the end of the season, we’ve struggle to get points. Before the cup final we were doing great but I think it’s more that ETH methods kicked in around the cup final time.
I feel the blaming of injuries isn’t a fair reflection of our current position and style of play. Both Shaw and Martinez were ever present in the bummings we got last season. Aside from Casemiro coming back today maybe and AWB at some stage, we have hardly got world beaters to come back to change the fortunes around.
Unless we can get the odd goal from an attacking player at some stage, I don’t see how we finish any higher than 8th.

The truth with ETH is he’s not what we thought he would be. Before coming he was largely seen as ‘the answer’ to our managerial problems post SAF. Moyes was unqualified, LVG and Jose were former world class managers past their peak and Ole was a wildcard. EtH was seen as the manager on the upward trajectory with reasonable experience at the top level that played modern attacking football. This is why we were so big on him, on paper he seemed like the perfect type of manager to finally get us back to the top.

As usual we looked at things through rose tinted specs, myself included. Looking back he absolutely wasn’t a guarantee in the way he seemed prior to joining. When you dig deeper, outside of the Dutch league, he did fairly little apart from the great year at Ajax where they made the CL Semifinal. He’s been largely unimpressive apart from that in Europe. Even last year where they had an excellent group run, they went out in the last 16 to Benfica.

My point is he really isn’t all we made him out to be and the proof is in the pudding through his United performances. I sense some belief from some that he will turn things around but what is this based on? Judge him based on what he’s done here and not what you think he can do.

United fans tend to believe that a single manager is a magic bullet to fire us right back to No.1. This can happen when you have a truly special manager like Klopp or Pep. Most managers are just part of the journey. Managers like Rodgers, Sarri, Pellegrini, Emery were all managers at our rivals, very good managers actually and they didn’t work out long term, they got to where they could and more suited managers took over to get these teams to the next level. EtH is not really any better than those four listed so I don’t get why there is this strong faith in him.

Probably would have had the money for Kim if he didn’t spunk 90m on Antony though? Or 55m on Mount who he doesn’t even know how to fit in the team. He’s had 400m+ in 12 months he’s been backed

Yes, ETH is now responsible for the club's debt. I guess if you wanna have a moronic take, you'll find excuses.

Yeah half a billion over 2 years isn't enough. Poor Ten Hag.

With a serious board we would have refused to sign Mount and told Ten Hag to feck off.

Yep. There will be a chasm in quality between the two starting lineups today but there's barely a City player that we couldn't have bought ourselves at some point. Haaland (with a release clause), Bernardo Silva, Grealish, Dias, Stones, Alvarez, Rodri, Mahrez, Gundogan, Laporte, De Bruyne were all there for the taking at different points in time.

Yes, ETH is now responsible for the club's debt. I guess if you wanna have a moronic take, you'll find excuses.

How much more do you want him to spend? He’s had money. It’s been spent poorly. But yeah go ahead and justify it.

Poor old ETH scraping the bottom of the barrel with almost half a billion in 12 months. Give me a fecking break.

How much more do you want him to spend? He’s had money. It’s been spent poorly. But yeah go ahead and justify it.

It's been spent poorly by the management. ETH did not do the negotiation with Chelsea to hand them 55m for Mount.

League leader Tottenham needed 2 goals deep in stoppage time to both escape defeat, and get the winner. Tottenham drew against Brentford.

We're playing bad. No argument. But these cross comparisons are pointless.

Weren't Tottenham 7th last year ? The fact that they're challenging for the league is ridiculous and out of expectations if anything. They're overachieving. This squad couldn't even get an EL spot last year.

Arsenal are a better comparison because they were ahead of us last year.

It's been spent poorly by the management. ETH did not do the negotiation with Chelsea to hand them 55m for Mount.

They’re the players he wanted. If they wouldn’t have signed Antony and Mount you’re excuse would have been ‘He didn’t get the players he wanted’

He’s had money. There’s no getting away from that. It’s been spent that badly I worry about future windows and the players he’s going to buy.

This is an awful excuse yet keep getting repeated. We only spent so much on this player because the manager persisted on it, making our situation on negotiation table far weaker.

If we had walked away from the deal you would have moaned about the club not getting him Mason fecking Mount and told us how Mount would have transformed our midfield and unlocked Ten Hag's real style.

The fact that they're challenging for the league is ridiculous and out of expectations if anything. They're overachieving.
It's 10 games into the season. They could finish 10th by the end of it.

"Challenging for the league".

Christ in hell, some of you have lost it.

This is an awful excuse yet keep getting repeated. We only spent so much on this player because the manager persisted on it, making our situation on negotiation table far weaker.

If we had walked away from the deal you would have moaned about the club not getting him Mason fecking Mount and told us how Mount would have transformed our midfield and unlocked Ten Hag's real style.

If we had walked away from Mount we'd spend 60m on another player you would be bitching about right now.

If we had walked away from Mount we'd spend 60m on another player you would be bitching about right now.

If we had walked away from Mount we would have saved 60m to spend on a better player more suited for the team.

But wait, it's Ten Hag. He would have chosen another shit player to splash the money on and you would be here defending him anyway.

Look, City are a better team than us and a defeat is highly likely today but I want to see something from ETH set-up today.
I'm expecting us to work hard, minor a couple of individuals I largely think our work ethic has been good, but I want to see a element in our play or line-up that will , in a positive sense, catch City ( and the fanbase) slightly off-guard.

Its honestly diabolical. You look through the players we've signed and for the amounts and it makes your eyes water. What's worse is that we haven't learned as a club to bin off the real mistakes quickly. We hold on to these shits for far too long, hoping or praying they'd suddenly step up another few years and become quality players.

Its just shambolic. A proper circus.

Yeah look at Martial he’s been here since 2015, a year before Pep joined City. Its shocking such an average player lasted so long and we are still depending on him to contribute a few goals.
I honestly like the way ETH has handled the Sancho situation, this way he’ll move on, otherwise like Martial he would have stuck around for a decade.

Hopefully Jim selects a board that’s aren’t bumbling morons, we can finally start Rebuild - Part V- This time we are serious

Kim was available before we bought Mount and our board failed to get him. Case in point, you're full of shit.

God your posts are fecking deluded. Hilarious take that the manager hasn’t been backed.

We didn’t progress with Kim because the manager favoured Mount. Why didn’t we just sign both? because we overpaid on players like Antony and Casemiro so we didn’t have the budget. 400m in 12 months.

Out of interest what number would satisfy you for the manager being backed? 600m?

God your posts are fecking deluded. Hilarious take that the manager hasn’t been backed.

We didn’t progress with Kim because the manager favoured Mount. Why didn’t we just sign both? because we overpaid on players like Antony and Casemiro so we didn’t have the budget. 400m in 12 months.
Which il add points to a failure in the hierarchy. A lot of shit thrown at ten hag but he's a manager. He may well want shiny new toys that are a bit shite, but so does every manager.

He has quite clearly been dealt a bad hand with injuries - look at our back 4 heading into the derby. Obviously doesn’t exonerate him from all criticism but I think some people in this thread need a bit of nuance.

I hope he’s got a game plan for today because that line up is a shocker

Status
Not open for further replies.