Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets face it the media smell blood and want a sacrifice.
If you fall for that well shame on you.
For example , Bloody Keown was on Talknonsense today having a major go at Ten Hag. He said he really has no clue when he plays Amrabat at LB. Like this is dishonest journalism when he and the rest of the media knows all our LB were injured even our loan cover. Disgraceful agenda.

Ten Hag’s problem is that he’s far too rigid and inflexible. His certainty that he’s right makes him keep doing the same things when it’s clear to everyone else that what he’s doing isn’t working.

He also demonstrated extremely poor man management in his handling of the Sancho situation. It culminated in him losing the (albeit limited) services of a player but it didn’t need to end that way if he’d handled the matter quietly and privately instead of in public.

He’s not up to the job of managing a club like Utd.

His recruitment aside, I think this is where he's failing as a coach. I highly doubt he's as terrible as a coach as our performances are showing. More likely is that he's simply lost the dressing room. The bust up with both Ronaldo and Sancho is very telling, the players simply do not have faith in him.

For example , Bloody Keown was on Talknonsense today having a major go at Ten Hag. He said he really has no clue when he plays Amrabat at LB. Like this is dishonest journalism when he and the rest of the media knows all our LB were injured even our loan cover. Disgraceful agenda.
People like him probably don’t follow manutd’s situation at all so we can say they are just talking nonsense.

His recruitment aside, I think this is where he's failing as a coach. I highly doubt he's as terrible as a coach as our performances are showing. More likely is that he's simply lost the dressing room. The bust up with both Ronaldo and Sancho is very telling, the players simply do not have faith in him.
I doubt that's the case, as it's the players he's wanted to get rid of most (Maguire and McTominay) who have been saving his ass as of late.

I like ETH, I like what he seems to stand for, his attitude and interviews. I liked him when he coached in holland and was delighted we got him.

I however see no progress on the pitch. We don’t look like a well drilled team that has a game plan. We don’t look like we’re have any patterns of play, and structure defensively or in attack.

Our recruitment has been shocking.

All in all, I’m sick of this team, totally unenthusiastic about how we play, our results and how we just seem to stumble from issue to issue.

I’m all for ETH having all the time needed, especially having to deal with the ownership circus, but for me time has run out for him to show what he’s trying to implement.

I see no progress.

Yeah the biggest frustration is he can't seem to get these players actually moving for the ball. We just look like a load of statues with no patterns of play whatsoever. Wish he would drop Bruno & Rashford just to send a message that people just coasting along is unacceptable

I like ETH, I like what he seems to stand for, his attitude and interviews. I liked him when he coached in holland and was delighted we got him.

I however see no progress on the pitch. We don’t look like a well drilled team that has a game plan. We don’t look like we’re have any patterns of play, and structure defensively or in attack.

All in all, I’m sick of this team, totally unenthusiastic about how we play, our results and how we just seem to stumble from issue to issue.

I’m all for ETH having all the time needed, especially having to deal with the ownership circus, but for me time has run out for him to show what he’s trying to implement.

I see no progress.

I'm inclined to agree mainly on the recruitment perspective. 400M spent and the team on paper is laughable really. Even Casemiro for a club that's horrendously poor the last five years with NET (FFP) 70M is absolutely comical on a 31 year old. Additionally in an area that needed rebuilding under two previous managers.

I've said it and would be very surprised at this rate if Eth doesn't make his position untenable by the end of the season. The only thing I see changing it is fortune with results but when the performances aren't there as shown with Ole in his last season it's inevitable that the manager goes. I think this is the common denominator amongst every manager who's been sacked since Mourinho it's not the results but the performances that undoes the team.

We’ll have the same structural issues once he’s gone though. Whoever replaces him will have to work with half a squad full of his old boys. How long do we have to give the new manager to clear out ETH’s signings and bring in his own? We’ve been doing this for years which is why we have such a disjointed squad of misfits. Any new manager starts with a huge handicap.

Christian Eriksen :
A bad transfer in the long run.

Mason Mount :
Just a bad transfer.

Casemiro:

Anthony
Horrible transfer. Amount of money spendt on this guy is a bad joke.

Malakia:
Could be good, but not contributing right now.

Lisandro Martinez.

Høilund
Needed transfer, but a youngster.
Contributing, but poor fella is alone.

Onana.
Could be good, but had a bad start.

This is players Erik ten Hag brought in.

I mean, how a club like Manchester United doesnt put together a team or/and a Director of Fotball is beyond me.
Its a joke on this level.

How much money would they save if they put together a team of 3 people and a DoF to make the RIGHT DECISIONS when it comes to transfers?
How is it possible to operate like this at this level with the amount of money involved?

I think ETH is to blame for most of this, but United leadership is to blame for putting ETH in charge of doing these transfers.
What really bugs me is that when ETH eventually get sacked, we have a just as bad or even worse group of players as when Ole was in charge.
And the next manager will inherit all of these players.

How is it possible to this bad at running a fotball club?
How are decisions beeing made?
I just dont get it.
Its not brain surgery..

Keown was right. He knows what it takes to play defence.
Putting a defencive midfielder in defence is just asking for trouble.
You are talking about a defensive player that is not used to keeping the offside line, take out depth and follow players in the same way.
Also his role both defensivly and offensivly in both boxes.

Its much better to put a central defender right or left to cover.
It also cost us 3 points if im not mistaken.

Just a bad decision.

What must he be thinking now at this moment?

Does he have his team sheet in front of him with Captain Moanbag and Rashford on it already and is he pondering who will parnter Maguire?

Ten Hag’s problem is that he’s far too rigid and inflexible. His certainty that he’s right makes him keep doing the same things when it’s clear to everyone else that what he’s doing isn’t working.

He also demonstrated extremely poor man management in his handling of the Sancho situation. It culminated in him losing the (albeit limited) services of a player but it didn’t need to end that way if he’d handled the matter quietly and privately instead of in public.

I want ETH gone too as I don't believe he has shown the necessary courage to manage this team but this entire paragraph is pure and utter tripe. Infact I'd argue waiting this long to expose the fraud that is Sancho was mistake. He should have been put on the market last summer as there was never any indication he was going to amount to anything here.

Christian Eriksen :

Mason Mount :
Just a bad transfer.

Casemiro:

Anthony

Malakia:

Lisandro Martinez.

Høilund

Onana.

I mean, how a club like Manchester United doesnt put together a team or/and a Director of Fotball is beyond me.

How much money would they save if they put together a team of 3 people and a DoF to make the RIGHT DECISIONS when it comes to transfers?
How is it possible to operate like this at this level with the amount of money involved?

I think ETH is to blame for most of this, but United leadership is to blame for putting ETH in charge of doing these transfers.
What really bugs me is that when ETH eventually get sacked, we have a just as bad or even worse group of players as when Ole was in charge.

I just dont get it.
Its not brain surgery..

we had really bad luck with injuries this year and had never a chance to play a strong eleven together to get some rythm. the performance of the players this year until now has to be seen in this context for me. when judging the players by their contribution last season i dont get your post.

casemiro was world class and one of the best midfielders in the prem last season
martinez was great, even the media got it after some weeks
eriksen is a good squad player
anthony for the money paid didnt deliver enough - ok
malacia - good squad player

How much of it can just be one thing?

Realistically, I think he's f*cked because of a single player, and that's Casemiro. All the squad planning has been done with the belief that we'd have the Casemiro of the first half of last season. He's incredibly well paid, an absolute superstar so you have to have him in your XI. So you don't go buy an alternative, you build with him in mind.

So you get a Mount, who should be operating as he did at Chelsea as a deeper, linker of play. You get an Amrabat, who alongside Casemiro and Mount should provide energy and some defensive screening. And you have Eriksen as the 'last 30 minutes' player who comes on. Plus, you train up young Mainoo as a safe, defensive option when needed.

But it's all fallen apart becasue Case has been so off it. He's not providing any defensive soliditiy, he's making stupid runs putting himself out of position and worst of all he's actually making mistakes leading to goals.

For me, if Casemiro can rediscover some discipline, some drive and some form, this whole picture changes. Obviously ETH should have some control over that, but that's the crucial piece.

How much of it can just be one thing?

Realistically, I think he's f*cked because of a single player, and that's Casemiro. All the squad planning has been done with the belief that we'd have the Casemiro of the first half of last season. He's incredibly well paid, an absolute superstar so you have to have him in your XI. So you don't go buy an alternative, you build with him in mind.

So you get a Mount, who should be operating as he did at Chelsea as a deeper, linker of play. You get an Amrabat, who alongside Casemiro and Mount should provide energy and some defensive screening. And you have Eriksen as the 'last 30 minutes' player who comes on. Plus, you train up young Mainoo as a safe, defensive option when needed.

But it's all fallen apart becasue Case has been so off it. He's not providing any defensive soliditiy, he's making stupid runs putting himself out of position and worst of all he's actually making mistakes leading to goals.

For me, if Casemiro can rediscover some discipline, some drive and some form, this whole picture changes. Obviously ETH should have some control over that, but that's the crucial piece.
Casemiro’s demise could have been anticipated by anyone who has actually watched him play last season. He had great moments but he also had terrible games and it decline throughout the year, quite profoundly. He is an over 30 midfielder with a lot of mileage.

No matter how good of a point anyone makes, the bolded makes me completely disregard anything else.

What other fecking top club gives their star signing 3 months off in the middle of the most intense season ever? And then that star signing after being shite, week in, week out, still feels discriminated against?

Bloody hell, I cannot believe some of you support the club and not Sancho sometimes.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...utd-going-backwards-time-to-question-ten-hag/

I hope I speak for everyone when I say 'Fek off you whinging deluded click bait dipper.'

"At the moment, Ten Hag realises he does not have the profile of midfielders required to build from the back as he did at Ajax. Nor does he have the personnel for a pressing game. The fact he cannot do this in his second year at Old Trafford is on him. He paid £70 million for Casemiro, who no longer has the legs for the job but still has four years left on a big contract, and brought in Christian Eriksen, who brings quality from the bench. The short-termism of those deals has repercussions, hence the recent signings of midfielders Mason Mount and Sofyan Amrabat.

Ten Hag is therefore paying for immediately compromising his principles. Without a radical shake-up of the squad he will continue to do so. That is his mistake as it was he - not the Glazers - who pursued those signings in his first summer, believing he had to hit the ground running when the club needed to consider the long-term direction."

"
Yep.

Christian Eriksen :

Mason Mount :
Just a bad transfer.

Casemiro:

Anthony

Malakia:

Lisandro Martinez.

Høilund

Onana.

I just dont get it.
Its not brain surgery..

But perhaps brain surgery should be tried.

Christian Eriksen :

Mason Mount :
Just a bad transfer.

Casemiro:

Anthony

Malakia:

Lisandro Martinez.

Høilund

Onana.

I just dont get it.
Its not brain surgery..
Eriksen was a free, helped us significantly last season, for all his physical limitations, and is now a squad player rather than starter. The only mistake re Eriksen was our not identifying a longer-term dynamic but also technically good CM this window. No reason why he couldn't stay, play even fewer games and still mentor whoever came in or was drafted from the u21s: he's by all accounts a good character, as well as a 'positive' story of return to top-flight sport from near-death and adversity. Plenty of successful clubs have fielded weaker players than Eriksen as part of their squad rotation strategy....

I want ETH gone too as I don't believe he has shown the necessary courage to manage this team but this entire paragraph is pure and utter tripe. Infact I'd argue waiting this long to expose the fraud that is Sancho was mistake. He should have been put on the market last summer as there was never any indication he was going to amount to anything here.
yeah, I think so too. I thought publicly ETH handled it quite quietly, no drama and I don't think what he said constituted breaching healthcare privacy. No matter what happened, Sancho would have imploded at some point for some reason, at our club or another. As much as I've disliked his behaviour, I certainly wish him no ill. I really do hope Sancho has some decent advisors because these type of events can quickly head south and leave you wondering 'how the hell did I get here?!'

Christian Eriksen :

Mason Mount :
Just a bad transfer.

Casemiro:

Anthony

Malakia:

Lisandro Martinez.

Høilund

Onana.

I just dont get it.
Its not brain surgery..
His transfers are not working in general, his tactics are not working, and our form and general play is poor. What is ETH doing right?

Eriksen was a free transfer and a good one but spending big on Casemiro is looking more stupid by each day. And then he signs Mount 12 months later. To me ETH is quite clueless about tactics and transfers. He needs to work miracles to be our coach come May.

ETH binned Ronaldo, De Gea and Sancho, stripped Maguire of captaincy, benched Rashford due to him being 1 minute late to training

"not courageous enough"

we had really bad luck with injuries this year and had never a chance to play a strong eleven together to get some rythm. the performance of the players this year until now has to be seen in this context for me. when judging the players by their contribution last season i dont get your post.

casemiro was world class and one of the best midfielders in the prem last season
martinez was great, even the media got it after some weeks
eriksen is a good squad player
anthony for the money paid didnt deliver enough - ok
malacia - good squad player

Casemiro has qualities for sure, but he gets overplayed at his age.
He will need more rest than younger players and this will be more apparent as time goes by.
Same with Eriksen.

Eriksen doesnt have the legs to play sitting midfielder but he keeps playing him anyway because he is one of the few on the team that can actually pass.
And the midfield keeps getting overrun.

Anthony is not even worth half they gave for him, its embarrasing both to United and ETH.
And Mount wasnt even needed in a team screaming for replacements in other positions.

All these transfers we could do without, and will eventually most lightly get ETH sacked.
But he has made his own bed.
And next managers bed as well.

Saw arsenal put 5 past the mighty Sheffield today, the team we couldn’t patch a goal if not a wonders strike by Dalot. Yeah we are light years behind.

I see no progress.

Perfectly summarises my thoughts

Saw arsenal put 5 past the mighty Sheffield today, the team we couldn’t patch a goal if not a wonders strike by Dalot. Yeah we are light years behind.
League leader Tottenham needed 2 goals deep in stoppage time to both escape defeat, and get the winner. Tottenham drew against Brentford.

We're playing bad. No argument. But these cross comparisons are pointless.

League leader Tottenham needed 2 goals deep in stoppage time to both escape defeat, and get the winner. Tottenham drew against Brentford.

I think it’s relevant if it happens in such a short time. Our inability to break a team who is recently conceding 5 and 8 goals a match is is not pointless, it’s rather telling.

I think it’s relevant if it happens in such a short time. Our inability to break a team who is recently conceding 5 and 8 goals a match is is not pointless, it’s rather telling.
So Tottenham is worse than Newcastle who dispatched Sheffield United in the next game by 8 goals? Man City also only won against Sheffield United by 2-1 score with a late goal.

Cross comparison of scoreline never tells anything. Wolves gave Liverpool a run for their money despite defeated by 2 late goals. Beat City. Drew against Aston Villa and Newcastle. Call our win shite, I doubt any of those 3 wouldn't trade a victory for a shite performance like ours against Wolves. Ugly jammy win during bad run of form is not something to be shame about,

No one argue against our lack of goals, or we're playing badly. Let's not make it more miserable with selective scoreline of other team.

I think this says more about Tottenham than anything else. They’ve been really impressive, but points haul exceeds how well they’ve actually played (and that’s before factoring in some ridiculously favourable decisions).

I think this says more about Tottenham than anything else. They’ve been really impressive, but points haul exceeds how well they’ve actually played (and that’s before factoring in some ridiculously favourable decisions).
Yes. They hit perfect storm with luck and form. Even outjammied Liverpool, which is usually rare. As we all know, the league campaign is a marathon.

I have no defense of our bad performance, but it's not like we're in relegating battle now the way our own fan just want to double down an ugly victory as a defeat using selective favored scoreline as comparison. Even high flying team not always got comfortable scoreline.

xPts table shows they should be just behind you, which is not so far off from the actual table. And honestly, what you just said is exactly how everyone felt about you last season :p

Ive said it before, once Ratcliffe comes in and whoever he brings in as DOF, (Mitchell is favourite), TH will be on borrowed time. I think Ratcliffe will want to be a new brush and sweep the last 10 years away. Maybe he will last the season, but unless by a miracle we finish top 5, I think he will be gone.
Pesonally I thought he would be the one and although we got battered a few times, with the 3rd place finish and cup, I was expecting him to kick on. Whats happened this season is a mystery. Its like they are 11 strangers who dont train together in the week.

Ive said it before, once Ratcliffe comes in and whoever he brings in as DOF, (Mitchell is favourite), TH will be on borrowed time. I think Ratcliffe will want to be a new brush and sweep the last 10 years away. Maybe he will last the season, but unless by a miracle we finish top 5, I think he will be gone.
Pesonally I thought he would be the one and although we got battered a few times, with the 3rd place finish and cup, I was expecting him to kick on. Whats happened this season is a mystery. Its like they are 11 strangers who dont train together in the week.
He lost 7-0 to a bad Liverpool team, the worst Klopp Team since Klopp has been there. I’ve hated Ten Hag since then and I can’t see why so many fans like you think he was the one. This game was the evidence he was not the right one and will never be

Still shocked to this day no-one has been held responsible for that result and game.

Ah come on. This thing is present since Ole for sure and I'd argue, that it started during Mourinhos reign. If anything, ETH should be held accountable for not really changing that, but I would say, the start of last season showed that our buildup play improved quite a bit. The stranger-phenom starts as soon as we are trying to attack. Most likely explanation for me is because everybody is just targeting individual objectives, assists and goals. But the overall collective suffers from it.

Exactly, those are comparisons logic I would expect of a child to be honest.

You do realise that what Newcastle are doing would still be considered not good enough by Manchester United standards? Finishing in the top 4 and reaching a cup final got Howe being talked about as manager of the year and you couldn't find a single criticism for their campaign. Similar feat for us with actually winning the cup and the best reaction from the media is "encouraging" with some seeing it as a negative in how it is a symbol for our downfall that we're happy with such return. I am not complaining as that is flattering and it means we're still being treated as an elite club, but the gulf in expectations and what we're measured up against couldn't be wider. Oh, and there is 1 point between us and Newcastle this season so far, how do you think is the perception of our seasons among the public and the media?
I generally agree with you, but there's also a reason besides expectations for why their fans and the media are more positive about Newcastle right now. For one, you are right about there only being 1 point between us in the league, but they also have +15 goal differential compared to United being -2. So right there, the performances are already on a higher level to us, but the results are not always there. This is very similar to how Klopp's Liverpool was when compared to United under Mourinho. Was it all that big of a surprise that United in 2019 performed much worse than Liverpool? No, because the football was trending that way apart from the results. Secondly, Newcastle are also doing better in the CL than United. They only have 1 more point, but are +2 in goal differential compared to United's -1, all the while being in a tougher group.

So it's not just our expectations that have created this perception.

What must he be thinking now at this moment?

Does he have his team sheet in front of him with Captain Moanbag and Rashford on it already and is he pondering who will parnter Maguire?

Those two know there is no consequences for consistently poor performances,he is setting such a bad precedence by favouring them when others such as Hannibal are being overlooked

I generally agree with you, but there's also a reason besides expectations for why their fans and the media are more positive about Newcastle right now. For one, you are right about there only being 1 point between us in the league, but they also have +15 goal differential compared to United being -2. So right there, the performances are already on a higher level to us, but the results are not always there. This is very similar to how Klopp's Liverpool was when compared to United under Mourinho. Was it all that big of a surprise that United in 2019 performed much worse than Liverpool? No, because the football was trending that way apart from the results. Secondly, Newcastle are also doing better in the CL than United. They only have 1 more point, but are +2 in goal differential compared to United's -1, all the while being in a tougher group.

So it's not just our expectations that have created this perception.
I see your point and agree that Newcastle are generating much more excitement and entertainment this season. They play with a lot of emotion which will always get the neutral's support. But I still think that part of why they can generate thay momentum is their status, not the whole reason of course. They had 27% possession for example at home to PSG. No elite club can play like that in 2023 and rely on the transitions, I don't mean in just one game, I mean to build a playing style where they can be good at that like Newcastle are doing. It's just not how Leagues and CLs are won or challenged for on a consistent basis. You might get the one off here and there, but to consistently challenge at the elite level, you have to be pro active and take control of games. That's the main difference between Klopp's Liverpool and this Newcastle side. Liverpool were reaching that balance between emotion, speed and control. Newcastle are getting away with playing like underdogs. When they were in a position to control a game like against a 10 men Liverpool or when their transitional game was nullified at the Etihad, they looked out of ideas. That is not a sustainable way of playing if you want to reach the heights the likes of us aspire to. We are criticized for even attempting to build a team cedes control and rightly so. Newcastle are not judged on that. In other words, their success is built on a playing style, we are rightly not allowed to attempt because 1) it is not sustainable and 2) it is not befitting of a protagonist club.

xPts table shows they should be just behind you, which is not so far off from the actual table. And honestly, what you just said is exactly how everyone felt about you last season :p
Mate, that’s how a lot of people around here feel about us this season. You’d think that 48 games is enough of a sample size to suggest that this is our level… but apparently not.

What really blew my mind were the people saying the only reason we were top last season was because of the fixture list… 20+ games in. Make it make sense.

I see your point and agree that Newcastle are generating much more excitement and entertainment this season. They play with a lot of emotion which will always get the neutral's support. But I still think that part of why they can generate thay momentum is their status, not the whole reason of course. They had 27% possession for example at home to PSG. No elite club can play like that in 2023 and rely on the transitions, I don't mean in just one game, I mean to build a playing style where they can be good at that like Newcastle are doing. It's just not how Leagues and CLs are won or challenged for on a consistent basis. You might get the one off here and there, but to consistently challenge at the elite level, you have to be pro active and take control of games. That's the main difference between Klopp's Liverpool and this Newcastle side. Liverpool were reaching that balance between emotion, speed and control. Newcastle are getting away with playing like underdogs. When they were in a position to control a game like against a 10 men Liverpool or when their transitional game was nullified at the Etihad, they looked out of ideas. That is not a sustainable way of playing if you want to reach the heights the likes of us aspire to. We are criticized for even attempting to build a team cedes control and rightly so. Newcastle are not judged on that. In other words, their success is built on a playing style, we are rightly not allowed to attempt because 1) it is not sustainable and 2) it is not befitting of a protagonist club.
Newcastle definitely need to kick on if they want to sustain their trajectory. However, they are still currently outperforming their spending and their team is very much more than a some of their parts (especially when compared to United).

Leaving the issue of sports washing aside for the moment, it’s fascinating to watch a state-backed side in the era of FFP being taken somewhat seriously. It’s like a neighbour winning a billion on the lottery and being incredibly sensible with his money.

Status
Not open for further replies.