Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did you become such a moaning arse Crossy? Literally every single post these days feels negative.

Perhaps a break?
:lol: Give over, I'm just responding to the people who are quoting me when I said that perhaps we should start to question whether the manager is up to the task or responding to the people who are acting like there's absolutely nothing we can do about the on the pitch performance because the Glazers are still the owners. I appreciate they might come across as negative but I'm actually quite positive about United on the whole if we just get the right man in the door. My issue has always been that you shouldn't cling to a mistake just because you spent time making it, but anyway, I got next to no work done today chatting on here so I'll be probably be busy the rest of the week. Let's hope I've got nothing to moan about by the time the weekend comes around! ;)

Everyone will give a feck if ETH gets the boot and the next man is left with "his players". It is one thing a new manager coming in with the last managers signings, but its amplified when those guys were picked from his previous clubs or were his recommendations.

Mount - on loan at Vitesse Arnhem, the 18-year-old's free-kick led to his side's third goal as they beat ETH's Ajax 3-2 in March 2018.
Amrabat - Utrecht player under ETH. And he is on a loan to buy, so we are buying him next year. He is only on loan this year for FFP.
Malacia - Wanted him at Ajax after impressing ETH at Feyenoord - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...y-erik-ten-has-has-made-tyrell-malacia-first/
Onana - Ajax
Anthony - Ajax
Mathenez - Ajax
Ericksen - Former Ajax and trained with Ajax under ETH.
Casimiro - Panic signing because Frankie De Jong, ETHs golden boy, did not wanted to leave Ajax.

And you say bang for buck? There isnt much value if the players we signed so far. Club see that United are focusing in on ETHs guys and up goes the price.

Malacia - a £14m signing as a backup option. £5m less than Dalot who came under the same set up - and you have a complaint about it because he came from Holland. Jesus wept.
Mount - obviously a known quantity in his progression at Chelsea and Premier League proven, but no, you think Ten Hag liked him solely because of what he did at Vitesse - feck me that is a stretch. Mount was also wanted by Arteta and Klopp, so it's obvious he was a big target for other big clubs and a known quantity.
Amrabat - a loan, and it's an OPTION to buy not an obligation. A low risk deal that was all we could muster because of FFP constrictions not the manager's fault.
Eriksen - trained under ETH, hadn't played a single game for him before he came to United and a free signing, once again a stretch to criticize that.
Casemiro - Weird you 1) have an issue with the signing and 2) that you're blaming Ten Hag for it. He's not a DoF and he has no scouts evidently, you do know that, right?

Martinez - Ajax and also wanted by Arteta. Of course if he wanted him its not biased is it :lol:

Your argument is so flawed its beyond belief. You're moaning at a manager who has no head scout and no proper structure for bringing a couple players he's confident in and a host of others who are known quantities and good deals for the prices paid. Literally Antony is the only over payment, and Hojlund, who never played under him anyway.

SAF even said a smart move Ten Hag made was getting a few of his own players in, because its major when overhauling the system and getting the dressing room behind you. You're peddling a silly narrative thats over exaggerated and baseless.

The fact you want to look at FdJ as a target to claim ex player bias and gloss over him wanting Kane, Kim, Todibo, Rabiot is also laughable.

Previous poster saying the club were not just going for ETH players. We chased one for months when he was never leaving Barca. Then panic buyed Casemiro, who came here for his pension.
We definitely have a problem with being too influenced by the manager, but again, it's a club thing, everything we do is from a position of weakness. I don't blame us for spending some time trying for de Jong given his quality and apparent availability, but yeah, far too long wasted on it and the club doesn't then apparently have any knowledge of other, gettable players around the world who could perform in a similar manner, even if not quite as well, in order to help the manager implement his style of play. So we end up where we are, occasionally still playing Scott McTominay, hoping that a loan from Fiorentina or a youth player can be the person in midfield capable of passing.

It’s hard to explain. But I still believe ETH is the right man for the job. I’m not a “support the manager” at all costs. Far from it. I was Moyes out after 3 months, never felt Ole should have been given the job permanently so even in the season he got us CL football I was up for letting him go that summer.

ETH. Has been very unlucky with injuries off the field issues. He’s obviously got a stubborn side that appears to sabotage his own footballing ideals. But truth be told it’s only speculation that dropping Bruno and / or Rashford will improve our football. I’d like to see him give it a go thou.

I think we need to let him get more players back from injury. Then start judging. But if I was a director of football. I’d be telling him “right when certain amount of players are back need to see 1) style of play 2) results”

Turns out we might have been wrong, let's try again until we get it right.

Spoiler; we won’t be truly successful until the big changes happen. Hell even Jose might have been successful here under a proper structure. We are doomed as things stand, thus why binning off ETH in a hurried manner is just not necessary in my eyes right now. I get why people are fed up with him, but I don’t think throwing him on the scrap heap anytime soon helps us at all.

It’s hard to explain. But I still believe ETH is the right man for the job. I’m not a “support the manager” at all costs. Far from it. I was Moyes out after 3 months, never felt Ole should have been given the job permanently so even in the season he got us CL football I was up for letting him go that summer.

ETH. Has been very unlucky with injuries off the field issues. He’s obviously got a stubborn side that appears to sabotage his own footballing ideals. But truth be told it’s only speculation that dropping Bruno and / or Rashford will improve our football. I’d like to see him give it a go thou.

I think we need to let him get more players back from injury. Then start judging. But if I was a director of football. I’d be telling him “right when certain amount of players are back need to see 1) style of play 2) results”
the whole style of play is why i want him to just bin the fecking players who dont fit how he wants. Mctominay clearly isnt what we want. So stop playing him. If that means we see gore or something and he struggles, so be it. Fans would be so much more understanding of decisions like that vs consistently the same old shit. Maguire too slow to play the high line/quick passing, find a fecking youth player to go there or something idk. Rashford making dumbass decisions/not putting in the work/moving the ball around in possession, let garnacho work thru the struggles or whatever. Hannibal has shown a bit of a spark, but barely gets much of a chance. We limped over the end last season relying on players who couldnt play how he wanted, but yet we seem to try more of the same. Shit we watched week after week of a Case/Eriksen midfield allow cutback goal after cutback goal before things finally started to barely change.

the whole style of play is why i want him to just bin the fecking players who dont fit how he wants. Mctominay clearly isnt what we want. So stop playing him. If that means we see gore or something and he struggles, so be it. Fans would be so much more understanding of decisions like that vs consistently the same old shit. Maguire too slow to play the high line/quick passing, find a fecking youth player to go there or something idk. Rashford making dumbass decisions/not putting in the work/moving the ball around in possession, let garnacho work thru the struggles or whatever. Hannibal has shown a bit of a spark, but barely gets much of a chance. We limped over the end last season relying on players who couldnt play how he wanted, but yet we seem to try more of the same. Shit we watched week after week of a Case/Eriksen midfield allow cutback goal after cutback goal before things finally started to barely change.
I agree. Most likely from his side it was about trying to find the balance between style and results. But i do agree and feel now we have so many injuries, why not play youngsters instead of those he clearly wanted to sell like Maguire and McTominay

Come on. This is absolute bollocks. This is the kids first season in the league, has come on and played a part in our last 4 games (started 2 of them). He's played more minutes than Mctominay over the last 4 games....

We have to own it as fans too if ETH is the wrong man, we all wanted him. There definitely needs to be a data backed approach to hiring managers as well as buying players moving forward.

Come on. This is absolute bollocks. This is the kids first season in the league, has come on and played a part in our last 4 games (started 2 of them). He's played more minutes than Mctominay over the last 4 games....
i think finally he is getting some minutes, so will give a bit credit that we finally see that change. For me, it was just way late. (then randomly we get a DvB sighting instead of hannibal last game?) for me i want to see even more from him moving forward on the youngsters.

Just thought I’d say ‘Hi’ to our readers from RAWK.

Assuming they can read through all the laughing!

To the Club Sale thread…

i think finally he is getting some minutes, so will give a bit credit that we finally see that change. For me, it was just way late. (then randomly we get a DvB sighting instead of hannibal last game?) for me i want to see even more from him moving forward on the youngsters.
You do realise the kid is 20 and started the previous 2 games. He also ran his socks off. Mainoo and Hannibal will both get minutes but I think it's ridiculous to expect them to start 3 games in the space of a week.

Arsenal and Liverpool have been only teams to get near City through a combination of very good management and recruitment. Our recruitment (and ability sell players) is woeful and no one other than the manager is or will be held accountable.

ETH is making mistakes and it will cost him his job if he doesn’t it round, but no manager has much of a chance when the recruitment is so bad and has been for so long.
Bad recruitment is what ultimately cost Ole his job (Sancho and Ronaldo, while we had no midfield) it will be what does Ten Hag too.

Malacia - a £14m signing as a backup option. £5m less than Dalot who came under the same set up - and you have a complaint about it because he came from Holland. Jesus wept.
Mount - obviously a known quantity in his progression at Chelsea and Premier League proven, but no, you think Ten Hag liked him solely because of what he did at Vitesse - feck me that is a stretch. Mount was also wanted by Arteta and Klopp, so it's obvious he was a big target for other big clubs and a known quantity.
Amrabat - a loan, and it's an OPTION to buy not an obligation. A low risk deal that was all we could muster because of FFP constrictions not the manager's fault.
Eriksen - trained under ETH, hadn't played a single game for him before he came to United and a free signing, once again a stretch to criticize that.
Casemiro - Weird you 1) have an issue with the signing and 2) that you're blaming Ten Hag for it. He's not a DoF and he has no scouts evidently, you do know that, right?

Martinez - Ajax and also wanted by Arteta. Of course if he wanted him its not biased is it :lol:

Why did you leave Anthony out? Abject failure so far. Huge price tag. Character issues. If your are going to sign a player, from your former club for 83mil, you better be sure that he will be a bonafide and guaranteed hit.

Not criticizing all of his signings on a micro level. But on a macro level, signing all of these players that you used to manage, or have connections to via your time in another, much weaker league, is absolutely unheard of.

You said earlier...

You're just talking nonsense in insinuating his targets are overly weighted on his own ex players.

That fact that he has signed 4 of his ex players, plus one who trained under him and two that he has connections to via seeing them perform in his former league is unheard off.
Then you add FDJ to that, who we all know would be here had it not been for him wanting to stay at Barca.

And youre telling me out targets are not "overly weighted" towards his ex players? The numbers dont lie.

And as i said earlier, name me a Manager in the PL that has brought in 4 of his ex players to his new club in the space of 18 months ? Name me a manager that has brought in 4 in his entire career ?

What is the plan if/when he gets fired? Who wants to inherit Ten Hags Ajax boys?

Your argument is so flawed its beyond belief. You're moaning at a manager who has no head scout and no proper structure for bringing a couple players he's confident in and a host of others who are known quantities and good deals for the prices paid. Literally Antony is the only over payment, and Hojlund, who never played under him anyway.

You saying Manchester United have no scouts?

Over 30 listed here? https://www.transfermarkt.us/manchester-united/mitarbeiter/verein/985

You think non of their reports or suggesting are finding their way to ETH ? They will be, but he is preferring his own guys.

SAF even said a smart move Ten Hag made was getting a few of his own players in, because its major when overhauling the system and getting the dressing room behind you. You're peddling a silly narrative thats over exaggerated and baseless.

Own signings. Not ex players.

We all know ETH is going to keep playing Anthony regardless because he wont want to concede he is not good enough.

The fact you want to look at FdJ as a target to claim ex player bias and gloss over him wanting Kane, Kim, Todibo, Rabiot is also laughable.

Forget Kane, it was never going to happen. Kim chose Bayern and we didn't get the Macguire out to bring in Todibo.
Plus, how do you know Kim or Todibo were specifically ETH driven targets?

The real issue is why has a manager being given so much autonomy to make these decisions?

If United lose to Galatasaray, what then?

I almost feel like that would be worse than losing to Brentford on Saturday because of the financial implications of possibly not getting to the group stage.

You do realise the kid is 20 and started the previous 2 games. He also ran his socks off. Mainoo and Hannibal will both get minutes but I think it's ridiculous to expect them to start 3 games in the space of a week.
if case can play the previous 3 games like i believe he did, makes zero sense to think hannibal cant handle a short what 8 minute cameo? Whatever dvb had. And if he cant handle that then dont have him on the bench.
I do think mainoo will get plenty of minutes, that injury sucked timing wise for him

Even if United continue in this vein for the next few months, ETH will not be sacked.

Three reasons he will stay ......

1. Team will win enough game to keep their head above water, thanks to individual talent of these players.
2. The club are massively invested into his project after spending 400mil, most of which was on players he used to manage or has been connected to via the Dutch league.
3. Lack of viable alternatives.

The root of the problem is that, although the managers have a big say in the transfers, they don't get much of a say in the overarching approach. Not since LvG. The guy who said that United need an "open-heart surgery" was shown the door and, just before ETH's appointment, sources from within the club leaked that United want evolution and not revolution.

Solskjaer talked about a cap in the transfers. He started off with a high pressing - high energy system that, soon after, he quickly abandoned.r. United have been a low work rate side that lives on transitional moments since 2016. If you don't want revolution, you'll have to accept that and start looking for managers who can serve this particular plan. People like Conte, Inzaghi, Simeone etc. Because that's where we are, atm. We have key players, all over the pitch, who aren't very fond of one-touch and link-up football and also believe that defensive work is beneath them.

And if we bring De Zerbi, or whoever, and tell him he'll get three major signings to evolve the side, guess what, he'll choose to plug holes instead of building something new. I think ETH's so-called "pragmatism" last season should ring a bell. And when he will finally try to take a little step forward, the sulking, the wrong "body language" and the leaks in the press will begin again. And De Zerbi will turn from a Messiah to a scapegoat whose job was nothing more than "to get the best out of his squad".

Does it mean that the manager shouldn't shoulder the blame? Absolutely, not. As Solskajer said, you may have grievances in the end, but you know what you are signing up for. But it goes beyond that. Both Klopp and Pep teach very demanding systems. It's not just the transfer budget that makes them successful. It's the feeling in the dressing room that, if you don't comply with the instructions, you'll be the one in trouble and not them.

United's modus operandi makes that nearly impossible. The manager at United can't survive Arteta's first years at Arsenal. We want CL qualifications at all costs, Arsenal said enough is enough: The task ahead is to build, not to fix. We can keep ETH, hire De Zerbi or whoever, but, before we do, we need to understand this. If it's not what we want, i mentioned it in another thread: Conte is available and can come here tomorrow.
Well said.

That's what fanboyism gets you.

- Dismal Wolves performance - "we won the game, stop complaining about manager"
- Spurs loss - "we were robbed by the ref, stop complaining about manager"
- Narrow win against 10 men Forest - "great comeback, stop complaining about manager"
- Arsenal loss - "Garnacho was onside, stop complaining about manager"
- Brighton loss - "they're a better ran club, stop complaining about manager"
- Bayern loss - "narrow loss at Bayern is like a win, stop complaining about manager"
- Palace loss - "we have injuries, stop complaining about the manager"

4 losses in 7 to start the season. Pathetic away form (every game against top half opposition is an automatic loss) and we can't even get results at home now. Yet if you believe his devoted fans you'd think everything is rosy and we're playing swashbuckling football.
This definitely is accurate. And this will do nothing good but to fuel the fire even more.

Our football post WC till europa win was sublime.
Point again is it was a good period where we play some good football.
I've seen all our games and have no idea, what you are talking about. Only explanation to me is that you compare the football there to our football in the dark times. Then yes, we were way better. But I guess other posters are comparing us to other teams not to us...

Just thought I’d say ‘Hi’ to our readers from RAWK.

Assuming they can read through all the laughing!

To the Club Sale thread…
The RAWK'ification is certainly ongoing... Actually quite funny to see how tides are changing.

Not being funny but most people wanted ETH and Murtough got ETH. Nobody has the silver bullet answer to who will turn out to be the one to turn it around, but it'll probably be a process of elimination, which has already started. Maybe we'll find a good manager who is out there now, or maybe somewhere along the way another Pep or Klopp will arrive on the scene and we'll get them.
But who knows if ETH might be exactly that for us. You say the elimination process has started, I agree. But to me, it seems like you see the game as a roll of dice. Roll it, see what you got, roll again. I see it as a game of chess. The most successful teams are teams that follow certain principles and are methodical. To make that work, you have to have a plan and you have to bring the right players in. When those players then start to perform, you are up for something great.

Rolling the dice again, would mean we bring in another player. Maybe this one values his backline to be physically dominant. He tries Martinez, after one year he decides to bring in somebody else, this new player gets one year as bedding in period and in his third season you might actually see what the manager wants to achieve with is his ideas (in terms of backline). When you are rolling the dice, the manager is gone after 2 years and you made a grand total of exactly 0 steps.

Rolling the dice is like hoping for the one magical manager out there, who comes at the right time, takes over that specific group of players who have to buy in to his specific ideas. What are the odds that this is happening.

As I said, our team is ancient in terms of collective play. Its like it is running on Win98. No wonder why no players seem to be compatible with it. We have to update to Win10, which will mean we have to go through a painful adaptation period. And if some players work well under Win98 but not under Win10, we have to phase them out. There is no way around it. ETH might not be perfect, he might not even take us to the stars now because he choose a route that wasn't the shortest or quickest. But the thing is in motion now. Getting rid of him means, the whole thing will come to a close and probably to a reboot. I am not really attached to any of our players at this point so I couldn't care less about them. But lets not act as if this would be some sort of shortcut.

I'm just not a fan of standing still and saying "that's it lads, we're out of ideas so let's just stick with this". You simply have to try. Somebody unexpected might surprise us. The way Howe has surprised me, for example.
Completely see your point and would sign up for it. But see points above.

One thing we can't do, as supporters, is say we're both bothered about changing things until the Glazers go. They might not go for either 10-15 years. It might not be perfect but we have to try something to see if we can make something work with what we've got. I don't think we need a genius in charge. More a good personality with good ideas.
Completely agree. I totally understand the hate-relationship many fans have with them but I think, regarding our playstyle they aren't really in the picture. I mean, of course they are to a degree, but the one thing I need them to do is make funds available to bring in players when needed. And they do that. Only thing that really irks me that they seem to favor paying up for players without really getting any kind of ROI. If I were them, I'd expect my higher ups to be more up for the job...

Fergie wasn't interested in details like Pep, for example, but he knew how he wanted us to play and let the opposition worry about how to combat us. But he also connected with players and probably took people to levels they'd have not reached if they never met him. I think that's what we need right now and that'll be 80% of the battle won.
I think, thats a bit too simplified. Firstly, Fergie knew what he was good in and what others are better in. So he created a coaching staff. Also Fergie was, from some point onwards, in a position, no other manager will probably be in in the near future. Fergie was out of question - even the biggest superstars called him boss, even the biggest superstars knew that ending on the wrong side of will harm them. Also who knows if Fergie would still be as successful these days... I guess he would be but I wouldn't take it as a given. Football become much more methodical in the last 10-15 years, we know he was able to evolve, but you never know, if he would have been capable of that as well.
All in all - the Fergie time doesn't really work in terms of comparison. Because what he was for us, wasn't just because of him but because of his time here and his standing. How many managers do we have these days, we could say the same about? Pep surely. Klopp probably too. But thats it. Even Allegri and Ancelotti aren't in such a bracket for me.

But ETH doesn't have the personality or charm to connect with different players in my opinion. He's not inspiring and I also don't think he's as clever as he thinks he is tactically.
Difficult to say as we only know is public persona. I agree, he seems stubborn to a degree and also not really in it some times. But who knows, thats why you have a coaching stuff to combine certain qualities. I actually like ETH - but I think, too many of our players know that, when in doubt, they might be in the better position in comparison to him. You know what I mean? I think, we have an ongoing issue with player power.

The first mistake we made with him was requesting top 4. To do it, we promised him tons of money and the power in transfers.

I think he is a good manager, but I don't think there is way back. Even if he achieves 5th place this year we have to accept that ETH as a manager is not sustainable. We still lack a decent scouting department, and if we ever have it, I don't think that ETH will accept a demotion from his full control on transfers. This is of course an outcome of our faulty strategy of "miss top four-panic then spend millions-miss top four-panic spend millions".

Our strategy in 2022 should have been to achieve top 12, but to also start using the youth, access the current team, build a competent scouting department, and give the new manager a framework of 2 years to build a team. For example last year we had 3 RW, thus we should have tried those 3, decide if anyone is worthy, and if not then sell and buy. Instead, we bought a new expensive one, and we have the previous expensive RW training with the reserves.

Why did you leave Anthony out? Abject failure so far. Huge price tag. Character issues. If your are going to sign a player, from your former club for 83mil, you better be sure that he will be a bonafide and guaranteed hit.

Not criticizing all of his signings on a micro level. But on a macro level, signing all of these players that you used to manage, or have connections to via your time in another, much weaker league, is absolutely unheard of.
I've already addressed Antony, it's not my fault if you haven't really followed the answers.

That fact that he has signed 4 of his ex players, plus one who trained under him and two that he has connections to via seeing them perform in his former league is unheard off.
Who gives a feck if its unheard of? The fact that he's walked into a club that has a novice CEO, no complete structure in scouting department and owners that wont support him with a well established DoF and scouting set up is unheard of.

But no, you want to blame him for adapting to the situation and bringing a few of his own in, together with players he's not worked with in Mount, Cas, Hojlund, Malacia. You are making such a strawman argument, it's beyond belief you refuse to acknowledge it.

Then you add FDJ to that, who we all know would be here had it not been for him wanting to stay at Barca.
You are hilarious - you will point to FDJ but ignore the other targets even when credible journalists have confirmed a cemented interest. You cant just make up the rules.

And youre telling me out targets are not "overly weighted" towards his ex players? The numbers dont lie.
And as i said earlier, name me a Manager in the PL that has brought in 4 of his ex players to his new club in the space of 18 months ? Name me a manager that has brought in 4 in his entire career ?

What is the plan if/when he gets fired? Who wants to inherit Ten Hags Ajax boys?
Ajax boys? Eriksen was a free on a short term view, Amrabat is a loan, Licha is likely to be an asset under any progressive manager and Malacia is a very likeable squad cover option. Mount himself has been wanted by other top managers.
Bar Antony, I think his signings are widely seen to be flexible and attractive to rival managers.
You saying Manchester United have no scouts?

Over 30 listed here? https://www.transfermarkt.us/manchester-united/mitarbeiter/verein/985

You think non of their reports or suggesting are finding their way to ETH ? They will be, but he is preferring his own guys.
We've overhauled our scouting and sacked off our head of scouting - so it's more than evident that the scouting set up isn't in the right place. Moreover if you go by their hit rate its evidence that Ten Hag's signings are better than theirs.

Own signings. Not ex players.
Here's what he said: “I think Ten Hag’s done a fantastic job. He’s grabbed it, he’s brought his own players in and if he gets the centre-forward ready quickly, I think they’ll be a really good side,”

You having a big hissy fit over some of them being his ex players is another matter - it's a silly thing to be set on considering most of them are hits.

We all know ETH is going to keep playing Anthony regardless because he wont want to concede he is not good enough.
And he's not perfect - but that's not what's being debated here - I've already accepted Antony as a signing that hasn't met the mark.

Forget Kane, it was never going to happen. Kim chose Bayern and we didn't get the Macguire out to bring in Todibo.
Plus, how do you know Kim or Todibo were specifically ETH driven targets?

The real issue is why has a manager being given so much autonomy to make these decisions?

They were all reported on by tier one journalists, evidencing your narrative as utter and complete bollocks.

And to the bold point - its evident that its a structural problem feck all to do with ETH. He is adapting to it, that's all.

I've already addressed Antony, it's not my fault if you haven't really followed the answers.

Because your excuses and rational are nonsensical.

Who gives a feck if its unheard of? The fact that he's walked into a club that has a novice CEO, no complete structure in scouting department and owners that wont support him with a well established DoF and scouting set up is unheard of.

But no, you want to blame him for adapting to the situation and bringing a few of his own in, together with players he's not worked with in Mount, Cas, Hojlund, Malacia. You are making such a strawman argument, it's beyond belief you refuse to acknowledge it.

Malacia is on the Ten Hag list for sure. And i think Mount is too.

There is a dept DOF in place...
https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...nited-deputy-football-director-profile-who-is

Been there for over a year.

You are hilarious - you will point to FDJ but ignore the other targets even when credible journalists have confirmed a cemented interest. You cant just make up the rules.

FDJ was a bonafide ETH target. Another reason to backup the fact that the clubs targets are weighted towards ETH. A fact you still deny.

You are making out like all those "rumored targets" were all players ETHs wanted, thus reducing the number of actually signed players that have ETH links. But you have no idea if the likes of Kim or Rabiot are manager or club/scout driven.

Remember - even Hojland has a ETH link after signing for the same agency, who ETHs brother just happens to work for.

Ajax boys? Eriksen was a free on a short term view, Amrabat is a loan, Licha is likely to be an asset under any progressive manager and Malacia is a very likeable squad cover option. Mount himself has been wanted by other top managers.
Bar Antony, I think his signings are widely seen to be flexible and attractive to rival managers.

Rumors. If someone wanted Mount, they would have gone for him. But all knew that only United wanted him enough to spend 50mil+ on him with a year left on his contract. Plus the massive contract we have given him. We paid him like he was a free transfer.

Do we know that he was an ETH target? No, but we know he fits the mould of player he wanted for this new system he is cooking up. Or should i say cocking up?

We've overhauled our scouting and sacked off our head of scouting - so it's more than evident that the scouting set up isn't in the right place. Moreover if you go by their hit rate its evidence that Ten Hag's signings are better than theirs.

Previous head scouts were let go before Ten Hag joined. I don't believe they have been replaced, but that doesn't mean the club have stopped scouting and recommended targets. And it doesn't mean that every scout is useless and should be ignored by the manager.

But i do think that Ten Hag has stepped into that vacuum and been given more say in signings than any other manager. The fact he has a veto on any signing tells you this. As does the club buying or targeting his ex players.

The bottom line is, United are off to their worst start to a Premier League season in the last 34 years under Erik ten Hag. Despite Ten Hag being backed in the transfer market more than any United manager ever has, we are still massively underperforming. His signings have not been good enough to improve United to the level that justifies the spend. Of the major signings made over half are his old boys.

This ten Hag agency stuff is kinda hilarious, Pep and his brother are at the same agency, should we read anything into that? People will latch onto any tabloid shite if it reinforces their already held opinion, I guess.

I'm in no way in the OUT camp, but I do hope that ETH is having rethink on how he's going about this job and his man management in particular. He is not going to get what he wants to get out of this squad of players -- high pressing, all action football for 90 minutes -- and will have to accept for at least this season that our old boy front line players -- Rashford, Martial, Sancho and Antony -- have downed tools on the manager and that they are not be trusted. He can't freeze all of them out, but what would be great to see is the manager putting them on ice for a few games (Rashford in particular) and letting Garnacho, Hojlund and Pellistri have a go.

I understand that for many caftards that Pellistri is shit and that's ok, but right now we cannot go with Sancho or Antony for obvious reasons. And between Garnacho and Rashford, who among us wants to see Rashford crash into a brick wall of defenders over and over? And if Garnacho and Pellistri do shit their pants then fine, bring Rashford and Antony back -- I assume at this point that we'll never see Sancho play for ETH again.

I'm in no way in the OUT camp, but I do hope that ETH is having rethink on how he's going about this job and his man management in particular. He is not going to get what he wants to get out of this squad of players -- high pressing, all action football for 90 minutes -- and will have to accept for at least this season that our old boy front line players -- Rashford, Martial, Sancho and Antony -- have downed tools on the manager and that they are not be trusted. He can't freeze all of them out, but what would be great to see is the manager putting them on ice for a few games (Rashford in particular) and letting Garnacho, Hojlund and Pellistri have a go.

I understand that for many caftards that Pellistri is shit and that's ok, but right now we cannot go with Sancho or Antony for obvious reasons. And between Garnacho and Rashford, who among us wants to see Rashford crash into a brick wall of defenders over and over? And if Garnacho and Pellistri do shit their pants then fine, bring Rashford and Antony back -- I assume at this point that we'll never see Sancho play for ETH again.

Unfair to say they have downed tools. Antony aint been playing, Rashford off form, Martial is just Martial.

Just because Pep does it, its is ok?
It actually just means that we're signing Pep as assistant manager, so ten Hag can get a sweet, sweet kickback.

(Or it means that SEG are a super-agency with a lot of very high profile clients, that campaigned to be represented by Hojlund when he made clear he wanted to leave Atalanta, because that's their job.)

This ten Hag agency stuff is kinda hilarious, Pep and his brother are at the same agency, should we read anything into that? People will latch onto any tabloid shite if it reinforces their already held opinion, I guess.

Pep is a corrupt manager who wants to make a lot of money. That's why he is managing City, a team accused of numerous financial violations. On the other hand, Pep is considered to be the best manager in the world today, and he has won a lot of trophies, so people do not focus on the negative aspects. Unfortunately, ETH has won nothing of importance, yet, which is a big difference for many people.

Unfair to say they have downed tools. Antony aint been playing, Rashford off form, Martial is just Martial.

I accept that point. Each have unique issues, which I'll summarize here:

Martial -- he has lost all joy for the sport of football.
Rashford -- more than off form, unless what we mean by form is how he has actually played for most of the last four seasons with the exception of the one purple patch.
Sancho -- the definition of a player who has downed tools.
Antony -- putting his alleged treatment of women aside, his form has been abysmal since he joined United.

However one would wish to explain their form, it's safe to say that our "star" performers on the front line have massively let the club down. I would not be surprised if when you added up their wages it would exceed 1m per week. Adjusting for inflation Martial's transfer fee today would be about 80m. 80m for each of Sancho and Antony. No transfer fee for Rashford. When you add up all those wages and transfer fees and then you look at their contribution to the club's on-pitch performance this season it would be hard to argue that they're justifying the wages they're paid.

Almost every top player goes through a bad patch here and there, but that would not be an accurate description of where things are with these four professional athletes. Something is not right with them, which of course none of us can possibly explain let alone understand. It is what it is and it is not good.

A competent DoF would be able the match the squad with a new manager who surely must understand he cannot play a certain way unless he has the suitable players.
It’s really not even that. ETH is the first sensible managerial hire we’ve made post SAF which in itself is a bit tragic. As long as we keep hiring broadly similar managers we won’t have the issues we’ve faced.

Moyes > LVG > Mou > Ole > Ragnick > ETH is about as stylistically random as you can find, with each manager not wanting the previous manager(s) players and needing more and more investment.

Here’s hoping that doesn’t happen and ETH beats some of this lazy lot into form even without a DoF we can be successful.

I accept that point. Each have unique issues, which I'll summarize here:

Martial -- he has lost all joy for the sport of football.
Rashford -- more than off form, unless what we mean by form is how he has actually played for most of the last four seasons with the exception of the one purple patch.
Sancho -- the definition of a player who has downed tools.
Antony -- putting his alleged treatment of women aside, his form has been abysmal since he joined United.

However one would wish to explain their form, it's safe to say that our "star" performers on the front line have massively let the club down. I would not be surprised if when you added up their wages it would exceed 1m per week. Adjusting for inflation Martial's transfer fee today would be about 80m. 80m for each of Sancho and Antony. No transfer fee for Rashford. When you add up all those wages and transfer fees and then you look at their contribution to the club's on-pitch performance this season it would be hard to argue that they're justifying the wages they're paid.

Almost every top player goes through a bad patch here and there, but that would not be an accurate description of where things are with these four professional athletes. Something is not right with them, which of course none of us can possibly explain let alone understand. It is what it is and it is not good.

I agree, they are not upto snuff. Not for all but Sancho, i dont think they have downed tools, which is what you said.

Martial - Constantly injured. Probably fears his next injury every time e gets out of bed.
Rashford - Off form. Nothing working for him. Not a world beater, but our only real proven goal threat.
Sancho - Downed tools.
Anthony - Probably not good enough for The Prem. I think he puts the effort in - we saw it with his defensive work v Arsenal. I expect to see him lift his game when he gets back into the team. Hopefully got a point to prove. If the player who was signed for 80mil by his former manager has downed tools, that is a damming indictment on ETH.

Because your excuses and rational are nonsensical.
I said Antony was a signing who did not live up to the potential thus far - what is the excuse or irrational/nonsensical logic there? Your lack of comprehension is laughable, as you'll find later in this post.
Malacia is on the Ten Hag list for sure. And i think Mount is too.
I didn't say he wasn't. My point is neither played for him, and just because they happened to play in Holland doesn't mean they are bad targets. Mount was wanted by Arteta and Klopp, and his rocket in trajectory happened in England. You are clutching at more straws than a masturbating strawman by insinuating Ten Hag wanted him because he loved a freekick from him in the Netherlands or whatever bullshit you're on about.
I said a well established DOF, I.E. a DoF worth their salt.
FDJ was a bonafide ETH target.
Never denied this - as was Kane, Kim, Todibo, Rabiot. You can't cherry pick targets to suit your narrative, even though it's apparent you're clutching at straws.
Another reason to backup the fact that the clubs targets are weighted towards ETH. A fact you still deny.
I never denied this. I know Ten Hag is having more control on targets. I'm saying its as a result of the fact that we dont have well established people in the right roles, and have sacked off our head of scouting, and are clearly still working oursevles out above him.

Your comprehension really is taking a hit here - considering I never denied the bit in bold.
You are making out like all those "rumored targets" were all players ETHs wanted, thus reducing the number of actually signed players that have ETH links. But you have no idea if the likes of Kim or Rabiot are manager or club/scout driven.
Why are you writing rumored targets in speech marks? Bit of a weird time to apply that.
Anyway, they weren't rumors, they were reported by very well connected journalists - you can google it yourself and educate yourself on the matter if you wish.

Remember - even Hojland has a ETH link after signing for the same agency, who ETHs brother just happens to work for.
Not an uncommon practice and also used by other top managers. A weird bone to pick.

Especially considering we sacked our head of contract negotiations in the last window and had to bring in an ex-player's BROTHER to help negotiate deals. I think our lack of a proper structure warrants this sort of approach - hence my point, he's adapting to our shitshow and you have a problem with it.
Rumors. If someone wanted Mount, they would have gone for him. But all knew that only United wanted him enough to spend 50mil+ on him with a year left on his contract. Plus the massive contract we have given him. We paid him like he was a free transfer.
They did want him, but he was set on United. The Telegraph also broke it by saying Mount and Mac Alister were the top 2 targets for Klopp and it was a big blow that his preference was United.
You struggle with memory or googling, but you can't keep shouting "rumors" when you get shown up, it doesn't put you in good light.

Here, let me help you out with a tier one report https://theathletic.com/4549383/2023/05/24/mason-mount-manchester-united-transfer-chelsea/.
Previous head scouts were let go before Ten Hag joined. I don't believe they have been replaced, but that doesn't mean the club have stopped scouting and recommended targets. And it doesn't mean that every scout is useless and should be ignored by the manager.
A point you've made up as a result of lazy correlation. Good one.
[/QUOTE]
The bottom line is, United are off to their worst start to a Premier League season in the last 34 years under Erik ten Hag.
This is a factual observation that has little to do with the debate we were having.
Despite Ten Hag being backed in the transfer market more than any United manager ever has, we are still massively underperforming.
Do you remember how many matchday squad players left the club the summer after Ole left? As for the "massively underperforming thing", yes, right now we are. It's also 7 games in. It's entering a different debate now but chill the feck out and come back after 14 games if there's still a problem.

His signings have not been good enough to improve United to the level that justifies the spend. Of the major signings made over half are his old boys.
Jury is out on Mount + Hojlund which is basically > 100m EUR worth. Onana has barely settled into life with us too, and Licha is obviously a good fit. Antony I agree on, but even Arsenal fecked up with Pepe, City fecked up with Phillips, Chelsea fecked up with Kepa. I am forgiving one big money mistake from every club and Antony is his.

I don't however, prematurely judge transfers or lazily extrapolate flops. Eriksen was a free, I think thats a good deal for squad depth. Malacia was squad cover LB, at his age, for £14m that's decent enough. Reguilon is proving to be pretty good. Weghorst was an emergency loan that we had to tie up in 3 days with 2m fee - I struggle to think who the feck else we could have punted for. Amrabat has played 2 games out of position.

Basically, chill the feck out. Stop making shit up. And read posts better. It's getting tiresome.

Martial - serious depression over a lost puppy; hates football; loves Van Gaal
Rashford - loves to score and is addicted; never shares with anyone; currently having withdrawals
Antony - on the run from Brazilian police; will play for United while wearing Van De Beak costume
Sancho - cnut

I said Antony was a signing who did not live up to the potential thus far - what is the excuse or irrational/nonsensical logic there? Your lack of comprehension is laughable, as you'll find later in this post.

Your excuse making is laughable.

I didn't say he wasn't. My point is neither played for him, and just because they happened to play in Holland doesn't mean they are bad targets. Mount was wanted by Arteta and Klopp, and his rocket in trajectory happened in England. You are clutching at more straws than a masturbating strawman by insinuating Ten Hag wanted him because he loved a freekick from him in the Netherlands or whatever bullshit you're on about.

You can say anyone was wanted by any manger. But it didnt happen.

Mount is Ten Hags boy. As is Malacia. Im not saying its because of a free kick or anything, im saying it was his decision to go for him as he felt he would fit a system. So far, not so good.

The whole point of this discussion is the fact you said Ten Hag is not getting his picks - he clearly is. Mount and Malacia are examples of such.

I said a well established DOF, I.E. a DoF worth their salt.

And you're the judge of DOF competency? From what experience? Working at Tesco's? :wenger:

Never denied this - as was Kane, Kim, Todibo, Rabiot. You can't cherry pick targets to suit your narrative, even though it's apparent you're clutching at straws.

So why bring them up? We are talking about Teg Hag getting / not getting the players he wants. Keep on topic of the players we know he pushed for.

Of those, we know Kane is one he wanted. But the numbers didnt work for the club.

I never denied this. I know Ten Hag is having more control on targets. I'm saying its as a result of the fact that we dont have well established people in the right roles, and have sacked off our head of scouting, and are clearly still working oursevles out above him.

I agree, that is probably one of the root causes about him getting carte blanche.

Why are you writing rumored targets in speech marks? Bit of a weird time to apply that.
Anyway, they weren't rumors, they were reported by very well connected journalists - you can google it yourself and educate yourself on the matter if you wish.

Again, largly irrelevant. Especially as we don't know who instigated the desire to sing Kim or Rabiot.

You dont know who seeded the roumours, therefore dont know the validity of sude. Quite often it is agents looking to move their players on - Fabrizio has said this himself.

They didnt happen. Lets look at the players that are here. Most of the major new ones are his old boys and yet the team is still playing like shite.

They did want him, but he was set on United. The Telegraph also broke it by saying Mount and Mac Alister were the top 2 targets for Klopp and it was a big blow that his preference was United.

Maybe Klopp wanted Mount. So what? What does that prove? Irrelevant.

Ten Hag got his man and he paid top $ for him.

Antony I agree on, but even Arsenal fecked up with Pepe

Did Emery used to manage Pepe? No.

When a manager spends 80mil on an ex player, it better be right. As of today, ETH got it wrong.

I don't however, prematurely judge transfers or lazily extrapolate flops. Eriksen was a free, I think thats a good deal for squad depth. Malacia was squad cover LB, at his age, for £14m that's decent enough. Reguilon is proving to be pretty good. Weghorst was an emergency loan that we had to tie up in 3 days with 2m fee - I struggle to think who the feck else we could have punted for. Amrabat has played 2 games out of position.

No issue with Eriksen, Malacia or most of his signings.

The issue here is that you stated that Ten Hag is not getting what he wants in the market. You back that up with Kane, Kim etc.

Im saying he is getting almost autonomy in the market, which is demonstrated by the number of player he had worked with or had experience in playing against. There isnt much more to say than that.

Your excuse making is laughable.
Truly outstanding. You say Antony is a poor signing. I say Antony is a poor signing. You say I am making excuses. Have a word with yourself.
You can say anyone was wanted by any manger. But it didnt happen.
I didn't say it did happen did I? I said that the manager had targets he also didn't get. He also had targets he did get.
The club can veto players the manager wants. The manager also has a veto. Adapting works both ways.

Mount is Ten Hags boy. As is Malacia. Im not saying its because of a free kick or anything, im saying it was his decision to go for him as he felt he would fit a system. So far, not so good.
Mount's actually been playing pretty well for us in the past 1.5 games since his return, so this bold bit is a steaming pile of BS.
The whole point of this discussion is the fact you said Ten Hag is not getting his picks - he clearly is. Mount and Malacia are examples of such.
No, it started because you cited the below and acted like it was a problem:
"Never in the history of the Premier League has a manager gone back and signed so many of his old players."

^ Eriksen never played matches under Ten Hag before joining, nor did Weghorst, nor did Malacia, or Casemiro, or Hojlund, or Regulon. So the weighting you put is overexaggerated and utter BS.
And you're the judge of DOF competency? From what experience? Working at Tesco's? :wenger:
From the fact that they haven't built up a CV of competence in a Director of Football role prior. Murtough is our DoF equivalent by the way. The person you pointed out was the head of DoF operations, which shows how little you know about our actual infrastructure.

So why bring them up? We are talking about Teg Hag getting / not getting the players he wants. Keep on topic of the players we know he pushed for.
We know he pushed for the players I named because very credible articles were pointing to the fact that we were in for them. Take Todibo for example - Melissa Reddy (who was bang on the money for our coverage) said that WE had done due diligence on Todibo and led negotiations with his representatives.

Of those, we know Kane is one he wanted. But the numbers didnt work for the club.
Right so you'll happily make up the ones that he wanted and ignore the others as rumors. Excellent logic.

Again, largly irrelevant. Especially as we don't know who instigated the desire to sing Kim or Rabiot.

You dont know who seeded the roumours, therefore dont know the validity of sude. Quite often it is agents looking to move their players on - Fabrizio has said this himself.
A very silly comment, we were in for these players - we even made an offer to Rabiot for feck sake. It wasn't purely his agent, what is wrong with you :lol:
They didnt happen. Lets look at the players that are here. Most of the major new ones are his old boys and yet the team is still playing like shite.
I was happy to look at the players here, but you threw in FdJ (as you would when clutching at a nothing argument). At that point I sought it best to bring other targets too, to show he's not just going for players he's worked with. THAT was the debate by the way, before you lazily move goalposts.
Maybe Klopp wanted Mount. So what? What does that prove? Irrelevant.
That Mount was an established quantity that our scouts more than likely would have been on board with, but you chose to peddle a stupid narrative about Mount having played in Holland and only Ten Hag pushing for him - like you're some sort of insider that would actually have a clue.
Did Emery used to manage Pepe? No.

When a manager spends 80mil on an ex player, it better be right. As of today, ETH got it wrong.
The club bought him. They could have veto'ed Antony, they didn't. Antony was a player who was also on our scout's radar and the club have the right to veto a target if they didn't buy into him. Don't put everything on Ten Hag just to try and peddle a daft narrative insinuating the club is "wed to Ten Hag's targets" only. That's utter bullshit. They can veto his signings if they aren't on board with a name - it's a club decision.

No issue with Eriksen, Malacia or most of his signings.
Then don't complain.
The issue here is that you stated that Ten Hag is not getting what he wants in the market. You back that up with Kane, Kim etc.
Learn to read. Don't quote me if you can't read my posts, honestly.

Last edited:
Losing faith in this guy, he keeps making the same tactical mistakes week in week out, if he start the same squad and underperforming players against Galatasaray and we lose we may as well pack it in and aim for 4th in the group so we don’t go in the dreaded Europa League.

I honestly believe EtH should get to see the season out.

We've had a freak injury build up, losing Mainoo, then having no actual left back, even losing the loanee to help cover.

Having injuries to all but 1 of our new signings.

Losing Martinez and Varane within games of each other.

I don't even think Onana has had a consistent back 4 Infront of him except maybe Dalot which is insane for a new keeper trying to get bedded in.

Losing all of our actual RW options for various reasons.

Trying to address a clear culture problem, that in trying to address, seems to have caused more problems and leaks.

Not having a clear hierarchical structure above to rely on while also fighting against player power.

All of this in the space of 2 months is insane for any manager to try and deal with, the fact that EtH has kept it together deserves some credit.

The pressure is on and the results aren't helping, but I'm more inclined to look at player performances, especially those who have seen out 4 different managers.

Who are still supplying the same inconsistent performances and being defended, if 4 different managers can't get the best out of you then maybe it's not the manager.

Jury is still out on whether EtH is the man for the job but if he gets the backing to at least fix the culture for the next manager then I'm all for suffering through it until we have players who are playing for the badge and not for themselves.

I honestly believe EtH should get to see the season out.

We've had a freak injury build up, losing Mainoo, then having no actual left back, even losing the loanee to help cover.

Having injuries to all but 1 of our new signings.

Losing Martinez and Varane within games of each other.

I don't even think Onana has had a consistent back 4 Infront of him except maybe Dalot which is insane for a new keeper trying to get bedded in.

Losing all of our actual RW options for various reasons.

Trying to address a clear culture problem, that in trying to address, seems to have caused more problems and leaks.

Not having a clear hierarchical structure above to rely on while also fighting against player power.

All of this in the space of 2 months is insane for any manager to try and deal with, the fact that EtH has kept it together deserves some credit.

The pressure is on and the results aren't helping, but I'm more inclined to look at player performances, especially those who have seen out 4 different managers.

Who are still supplying the same inconsistent performances and being defended, if 4 different managers can't get the best out of you then maybe it's not the manager.

Jury is still out on whether EtH is the man for the job but if he gets the backing to at least fix the culture for the next manager then I'm all for suffering through it until we have players who are playing for the badge and not for themselves.

Managers will usually keep it together until they get given the boot with a hefty compensation.....Unless you're Conte.

But yes I think ETH deserves to see the season out if we show some upwards momentum in performances. A couple more losses in a row or a continued winless streak and I think things might change

Losing faith in this guy, he keeps making the same tactical mistakes week in week out, if he start the same squad and underperforming players against Galatasaray and we lose we may as well pack it in and aim for 4th in the group so we don’t go in the dreaded Europa League.
So who do you want to start ? The kids ??

Status
Not open for further replies.