Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some thoughts on the current tactical situation:
  • I think we look a bit too haphazard in midfield, all three that started yesterday are not natural ball-carriers, neither are they adept at controlling the tempo of the match. Them lacking both means that we can never really control the game. We both lack directness when needed and often play too direct, as Bruno's, Casemiro's and Rashford's desire to play quick balls into space is often too soon in buildup for our actions, meaning that we lack men in the box most of the time when the ball played in space arrives there.
  • The other problem we have is a constant lack of width and unpredictability on both sides of the pitch and that is a major, major issue. Even when all players are fit and in our first eleven, there is no one that really plays unpredictably and using both feet. It infuriates me how often Antony/Rashford/Bruno/Pellistri/etc. are only able to do one single variation of a move, meaning that defenders easily read what they are about to do in the final third. The only player who does things differently is Garnacho and even he can be wildly inconsistent by doing that.
  • Onana was brought in to change our buildup approach but has so far been proven ineffective. Opponents have adjusted to this quickly by starting to press us in midfield rather than in our third, as we do not have a single press resistant player playing in there (maybe Amrabat can be that), so they can quickly force turnovers from there. I would try Amrabat in Casemiro's position for a few matches to make us more solid there, maybe play a box midfield and plainly ignore the width problem by putting Bruno on the right anyway.
All in all, I think all is not lost, but this squad and its structure is very weird. Not sure if our summer signings actually massively improved the team, and I am still unsure if it can be fixed quickly. Ten Hag still has some time to do it, but the clock is ticking quickly and I don't know if he can.
I think you’re seeing a lot of problems that aren’t really there. We just have a few too many players who are either missing, lacking match fitness or out of form. If we just carry on with the process we will look much better without fundamentally changing anything.

I’d like to see Amrabat instead of Casemiro a few times but I still think Case can do a good job as the season goes on.

The poor structure has allowed him to make those mistakes. He should not have been in a position to make them in the first place. Why would you allow a manager with lets say such a narrow experience outside Holland act like a DOF.
True, but if you are manager at United and cannot tell a good player from a decent one then you shouldn't be manager.

Except our 10s of millions of players are harry maguire, jadon sancho, martial, lindelof. They aren't very good. No manager can get a tune out of those players and whoever is manager next season will be looking to move them on.
You have 2 out of 11 starting players for RM's 3 CLs.

The success will begin when we don’t allow managers to get autonomy on signings.
Problem is that when the transfers would be bad, upper management would be blamed directly for their bad decisions instead of having a very comfortable manager-shaped shield in front of them. Clearly this would be the worst case scenario for poor Glazers.

The success will begin when we don’t allow managers to get autonomy on signings.
No it won’t. The job title of the person who decides the signings is not vital. It is the quality / competence / ability / credentials of the decision maker that matters. We don’t have anyone at the club who can claim to be better able to recruit than the manager.

Too many idiotic decisions so far - like signing a striker that hardly scores or a winger that hardly creates.

Good manager imo but this club is too much for him.

The problem still lies with the ownership in my opinion. The summer transfer window clearly showed that. We couldn’t afford Kane and we scrambled around in the last few days to get Amrabat in on loan.
The point being that the manager is forced to stick with underperforming players because we can’t just bin them and get an upgrade like City and other top teams do.
The DoF seems to be incompetent too.
Our front 3 is just not good enough. Especially the right wing position. Ten Hag has to take blame for demanding Antony at 85m but he is then forced to stick with him for years even if he realizes he’s not good enough for the league.

Until the glazers are gone nothing will change long term.

He doesn't have autonomy. He said in a recent interview he said both he and the club (in the shape of Murtough) have vetos on potential transfers, and obviously the fact that ETH has a veto indicates that not all transfer targets are originating from him. The Atheltic reported that Harry Kane was an example of someone ETH wanted to target but was vetoed by Murtough as they felt the financial outlay was too much given his age profile, which ETH accepted. And we also know from multiple reports that Casemiro was an option the club put forward last summer, with ETH agreeing to it.

So there's more nuance to it than ETH just dictating the transfers. But that still doesn't mean the balance is right and they don't give him undue deference.

Arteta gets five years to get it right, Ten Hag won‘t get that. The one thing that won‘t work is firing managers.

Things are shiit right now, but I don‘t want MU to become a carrousel for managers.
Why pick one example that worked out and ignore dozens and dozens of others that didn't though? Literally every club is a "carousel for managers". Those that aren't can be counted on the fingers of one hand. And if/when things get bad, they will sack the manager too.

The problem still lies with the ownership in my opinion. The summer transfer window clearly showed that. We couldn’t afford Kane and we scrambled around in the last few days to get Amrabat in on loan.
The point being that the manager is forced to stick with underperforming players because we can’t just bin them and get an upgrade like City and other top teams do.
The DoF seems to be incompetent too.
Our front 3 is just not good enough. Especially the right wing position. Ten Hag has to take blame for demanding Antony at 85m but he is then forced to stick with him for years even if he realizes he’s not good enough for the league.

Until the glazers are gone nothing will change long term.

Even if we got Kane though how is he scoring goals? the setup is all wrong

We've played 7 and could easily have lost every game we've been that bad.

You say the front 3 isn't good enough but he's spent 160m on it in the last 12 months

Seems like even the match going fans have already seen enough which I am kinda surprised to see this quickly considering the backing the ole and moyes got at old Trafford during bad periods before they got sacked.

I’m not saying it doesn’t but we have won games in the past and we can win games currently without ripping everything up and starting again. For some reason we’re the only club that needs this to happen to win games of football against the likes of Palace. People talk like everything is the issue when the reality is, we’re not winning games because the manager is making a mess of the team. When the Glazers start taking training and picking the team then we can blame them for the results and performances.
It is a collective issue. Manager can't hide behind glazers, same way players can't hide behind manager but ultimately we have an awful structure. We should win games and will finish 3rd 4th here and there but we also seem to have these awful seasons.

You say the front 3 isn't good enough but he's spent 160m on it in the last 12 months

How many games has his 160m worth of front 3 played together?

Too many idiotic decisions so far - like signing a striker that hardly scores or a winger that hardly creates.

Good manager imo but this club is too much for him.
I don’t think it’s too much for him at all. We paid a bit too much for some of the guys he wanted but I think too much is made of that.

My thing now is that we just have to get used to the obvious fact that the kind of improvement we needed (and must achieve if we are going to win big titles) is not going to happen in the space of a couple of years. It just isn’t.

Improvement will not follow a linear incline. There will be downs as well as ups. Not every decision he takes will come off. It is the overall sum of the decisions (big and small) that matters.

I don’t know if he’ll be given the time but I think he will. I think the club will do what we did 30-odd years ago - we’ll ignore the noise and go with our gut instinct that this guy will get it done eventually.

I could be giving the board too much credit but they ought to be able to see that the job is a big one and a long term one.

How many games has his 160m worth of front 3 played together?

None but I've seen enough of Antony to see he's nowhere near a 90m player I don't see how him coming back into the side changes much

Well, I think Kane would have scored that Hojlund header yesterday. He would have improved our build up and ball retention in the final 3rd too.

Weve had terrible luck with onfield decisions and injuries. But I agree that performances and results need to improve.

And yes, I said that he must be blamed for the Antony signing but the club’s financial situation dictated Hojlund over Kane in my opinion.

If new ownership happens, we have to bin Antony and Pellistri and sign an effective right winger. Hopefully Garnacho can continue to improve and really put pressure on Rashford on the other side.

I don’t think it’s too much for him at all. We paid a bit too much for some of the guys he wanted but I think too much is made of that.

My thing now is that we just have to get used to the obvious fact that the kind of improvement we needed (and must achieve if we are going to win big titles) is not going to happen in the space of a couple of years. It just isn’t.

Improvement will not follow a linear incline. There will be downs as well as ups. Not every decision he takes will come off. It is the overall sum of the decisions (big and small) that matters.

I don’t know if he’ll be given the time but I think he will. I think the club will do what we did 30-odd years ago - we’ll ignore the noise and go with our gut instinct that this guy will get it done eventually.

I could be giving the board too much credit but they ought to be able to see that the job is a big one and a long term one.
Board might not be the same if the club is sold

Taking his role out of the "everyone at the club is shit" equation, I think his time might be up. What looked to be positive work last season has stalled and he has no solutions. We've come into this season with injuries that include players he's brought in when they were already injured, we are struggling to do the basics, we have no real Plan B when things aren't working. His man management is also frustrating. One minute I think he's doing the right thing (Ronaldo, Sancho spring to mind), but then the next he fecks things up like trying to force Mount and Fernandes together when it already hasn't worked this season, or playing Rashford at the expense of an improving and active Garnacho. Because, why, he doesn't want to upset them?

The problem is that I don't trust the board to find the right replacement, and even if they did I'm sure they'd find a way to sabotage him with their sheer incompetence. But one problem at a time...

We all really need to be patient with ETH. He is a capable manager but without having a director to football who can take care of transfer business and of course owners who can establish a working structure at the club.

Let at least one good manager be here for a few years and let him work things out.

An excellent football culture and structure at the club makes a manager look far better than he is, and a rotten one can make a manager look worse than he is.

ETH better start telling his team to attack from the get go unless they are City, Liverpool and Arsenal. Every game we started this season is possession football with little penetration or risk then we get suckered punch with a counter attack. We will try our best to equalise and win the game. ETH keeps saying that we want to manage the game but so far, I have seen no evidence that we can manage the game. The team is beginning play like how he sound in press conference, boring and unexciting. What we should be doing in all out attack from the get go and try to score more than the opponents. Why do we have to turn it on in the 2nd half????? How many games now that we are behind with possession??? Same story every week, can I see something else? The whole organisation looks like fraud from the owners to players yet everyone is earning millions. Boycott the next few home games, let the organization feel the wrath of the fans.

I agree with the criticism of some of ETH’s acquisitions, including Antony. But what’s done is done.

As for what’s in front of us right now, the manager needs to put Rashford on a much shorter leash. Probably Bruno as well, although it’s shears more complicated when dealing with a captain. We have an injury crisis — and other crises — so his options are limited, but ETH has options at LW.

Sacking ETH right now would be daft, but I understand why it needs to be discussed.

Utd managers historically have demanded the best players, Atkinson, see Bryan Robson, Ferguson, see Keane, Van Nistelrooy, Rooney, Van Persie.
Ten Hag probably asked for Bellingham and Kane but would have been rebuffed, essentially, no manager at Utd no matter who comes in can fully fix the problems on the pitch
and get the club competing for titles again until the Glazers are gone, we no longer operate as an elite club and that is because of the owners who are happy
to just compete for the CL places in order to take dividends, yes Ten Hag can do better with what he has got but the bigger picture is this club desperately
needs new owners who run the club with its handbrake off and allow it to operate at its full potential.

I don't think dropping Rashford and one of Bruno or Mount will solve all our problems, but I certainly think we'll start winning games and looking like an actual team. Even if he gets sacked the next manager is going to run into the same issues, like sacking him probably wouldn't be the wrong move, but there's also no point because the next manager is going to fail anyway, everyone knows it, we don't even need to see the options to know they'll fail.

I don't think we should sack him 7 games into the season. But he certainly isn't who we thought he was supposed to be -- the epitome of today's modern manager.
Seems like we have a modern version of LVG -- lots of possession but can't buy a goal if our life depended on it.

He needs to go back to the drawing board. Maybe his vision of modern-day football is missing a critical ingredient -- goals.
I don't think it's that straightforward to be honest, his ajax side got plenty of goals with arguably inferior personnel.

He has plenty of options to replace Rashford (Garnacho, Mount) and Bruno (Eriksen, Hannibal) in the team. If he continues to insist on playing them when they're so poor it'll cost him his job, deservedly so.

Taking his role out of the "everyone at the club is shit" equation, I think his time might be up. What looked to be positive work last season has stalled and he has no solutions. We've come into this season with injuries that include players he's brought in when they were already injured, we are struggling to do the basics, we have no real Plan B when things aren't working. His man management is also frustrating. One minute I think he's doing the right thing (Ronaldo, Sancho spring to mind), but then the next he fecks things up like trying to force Mount and Fernandes together when it already hasn't worked this season, or playing Rashford at the expense of an improving and active Garnacho.

The problem is that I don't trust the board to find the right replacement, and even if they did I'm sure they'd find a way to sabotage him with their sheer incompetence. But one problem at a time...
I just don’t think there is a fundamental problem. We have little problems aplenty but they are solvable without any radical changes. Selection is obviously going to be divisive when we are losing and l wouldn’t bother to suggest EtH is getting it “right”. But the team he picks on a given day is just a small part of the puzzle. It’s the big picture we need to be thinking about.

I don’t see how anyone can claim the squad isn’t much improved since he came here. The play is inconsistent and pretty ragged at times but there is a visible plan, to my eyes. The results are terrible just now but these things happen and, whilst I wouldn’t say we’ve been unlucky, small margins have had a prominent effect.

The general curve is still up imo. But, what I’m accepting now is the job is only just starting. What is the job? To win football matches, yes, but really it’s more than that. The job is to turn this club into a consistent challenger for the two top titles.

Progress is slow, I’ll give you that, but it shouldn’t be measured by micro factors (like when he doesn’t pick our favourites).

Yes, results will be the hard evidence and it doesn’t look good just now but, to me, the sheer force of his will is slowly being exerted on the team and squad. He sends a consistent message and the plan is sound. It’s not a quick job. We won’t be the finished article for another couple of years at least (did anybody expect it any sooner?). I’d like to see it play out.

Seems like even the match going fans have already seen enough which I am kinda surprised to see this quickly considering the backing the ole and moyes got at old Trafford during bad periods before they got sacked.

Well Moyes was gone in under a season and Ole didn't really play in front of fans at Old Trafford for a whole season due to the pandemic.

This was always going to be painful.
I just didn't expect fans to get all panicked and knee jerk after 7 games.

It isn't just this season, its how it went after the Carabao cup win. You said you expected him to win the next few games, or at least most. What's your expectation now? Brentford, Sheffield United to come before City in the league. If we don't get 6 points before City, will you be worried?

It isn't just this season, its how it went after the Carabao cup win. You said you expected him to win the next few games, or at least most. What's your expectation now? Brentford, Sheffield United to come before City in the league. If we don't get 6 points before City, will you be worried?

These are critical games now. We need something.. someone to step up for us. And I'm not sure how convinced I am that this may happen, because I can't see a method. How will we play (tactically) against Brentford, Sheff Utd?

I just don't know. I just hope someone has an inspired game as far as our attacking game is concerned.

Its the same I think we really need 9 out of 12 pts minimum between the bayern loss and City game. And to win all other comp games too.

Its a tall order to be honest. But the thing with this manager is, I think he genuinely has pedigree and even the dutch fans warned us to be patient, that it would probably get ugly at moments before it really clicks. 7 games into the new season is just way too early for me.

Its the same I think we really need 9 out of 12 pts minimum between the bayern loss and City game. And to win all other comp games too.

Its a tall order to be honest. But the thing with this manager is, I think he genuinely has pedigree and even the dutch fans warned us to be patient, that it would probably get ugly at moments before it really clicks. 7 games into the new season is just way too early for me.
We would have needed 12 point out of 12 from the Burnley, Palace, Sheffield and Brentford games, and that is not a tall order at all. These are all simple must win games.
9 points is already too few, losing at home to Palace after having already lost 3 of 6 games is just horrible.

Obviously it's way too early to call for the manager's head. But this, at the moment, is not good enough by far.

We would have needed 12 point out of 12 from the Burnley, Palace, Sheffield and Brentford games, and that is not a tall order at all. These are all simple must win games.
9 points is already too few, losing at home to Palace after having already lost 3 of 6 games is just horrible.

Obviously it's way too early to call for the manager's head. But this, at the moment, is not good enough by far.
Its never simple to win 4 on the bounce with games every 3 days when you're also still trying to find some chemistry among your own squad.

If he comes out of this run having only the Palace game as a blip, it's a decent run for him.

Its never simple to win 4 on the bounce with games every 3 days when you're also still trying to find some chemistry among your own squad.

If he comes out of this run having only the Palace game as a blip, it's a decent run for him.
Ultimately, it boils down to points average. 12 points from those games would have brought us to 18 points, 9 games, 2 points per game, which would have meant our season was on track results-wise as it is a top 4 average.
15 points from 9 games is a 6th-7th place average. And we haven't won those remaining 2 yet.
You are right that it makes little sense to get hung up on a single result, we might win the City game who knows, but the poor results have piled on recently and as a whole the situation is not good.

There is always next year, hopefully ETH hasn't lost the dressing room. No Champion league and no Europa league, just Premier league, FA Cup and League Cup so ETH can get to get top 4. Best case scenario finish in the middle of the table. We are beginning to become like CP, Wolves, Everton, West Ham and etc. Let's see if Glazers want to be greedy and wait for the big offer. The shares probably continue dropping next week.

There is always next year, hopefully ETH hasn't lost the dressing room. No Champion league and no Europa league, just Premier league, FA Cup and League Cup so ETH can get to get top 4. Best case scenario finish in the middle of the table. We are beginning to become like CP, Wolves, Everton, West Ham and etc. Let's see if Glazers want to be greedy and wait for the big offer. The shares probably continue dropping next week.

If a manager has completely blown the season after 7 games then he shouldn't get 12 months to sort it out that's a disaster

in absolutely no way at all

Ultimately, it boils down to points average. 12 points from those games would have brought us to 18 points, 9 games, 2 points per game, which would have meant our season was on track results-wise as it is a top 4 average.
15 points from 9 games is a 6th-7th place average. And we haven't won those remaining 2 yet.
You are right that it makes little sense to get hung up on a single result, we might win the City game who knows, but the poor results have piled on recently and as a whole the situation is not good.
For me it's a case of getting into a style of play that can be consistent. If we can muster this albeit belatedly then the results will come.

The gripe I currently have is Ten Hag massively massively overrates Rashford. Hes been utter turd and would be a bench player under Arteta Klopp or Pep.

We’re still very early in the season, but if something isn’t working he must be prepared to make big and brave decisions with his starting eleven.

I hate that the knives are already being sharpened, but I get it, we’ve looked hopeless to average this season.

It is a collective issue. Manager can't hide behind glazers, same way players can't hide behind manager but ultimately we have an awful structure. We should win games and will finish 3rd 4th here and there but we also seem to have these awful seasons.
But what are the awful seasons caused by? Then only ever happen when a manager has had a ‘good’ season previously and he’s been allowed to bring in yet more of his own players. The Glazers didn’t sign Mount this summer but they gave Ten Hag and Murtough a shit load of money to spend on players that aren’t good enough it seems. Any other club would sack their manager and not find excuses to constantly defend the manager when he isn’t doing his job well enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.