Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long have you guys watched football? Some players just take time to settle in and adjust to a new team. Making a judgment after what 2/3 months is incredibly short-sighted.
So following that logic, how can they be declared good transfers? Martinez maybe, but that's easily countered by the car crash that is the Antony deal

I also don't buy into "club so toxic, no one would succeed" rhetoric.

After £400 spent, surely that can't be the core bullet point in favour of the manager
Then how would you explain every manager having the same problem for years now? Even Fergie was struggling to bring in top players at the end of his time here.

Previous attempt? You mean every attempt since SAF called it a day. As I keep saying until the ownership changes this cycle will keep repeating itself. We’ll sack Ten Hag bring in De Zerbi or whoever it doesn’t matter, starts off well playing respond to his ways and everything looks rosy, we secure top 4 and it looks like we’re back on track then instead of kicking on again things go pear shaped and any progress that was made quickly unravels. Then we find ourselves in this exact same position again making the exact same posts. De Zerbi has to go, no identity, the results are terrible, we need to hire *insert new flavour of the month manager* at least he plays decent football. Rinse and repeat.

So clubs change managers when it's not working out? What a novel concept.

The scouting network??? Which scouting network are you talking about?? The reason why our managers have such a big say on transfers is because the recruitment/scouting team here are absolute crap.
The same scouting work that found Hannibal, Garnacho, Bruno Fernandes, Pellistri and identified a number of players we didn't sign because we want with the managers choice anyway, that scouting network?

I don't care what anyone says, despite the dreadful start to the season we still look several leagues ahead of Ole's teams in terms of functionality/cohesion. I think the signings are questionable (Mount/Antony - albeit they would look better at reasonable prices) but I think there is promise. It's just a toxic environment so there's a good chance the whole thing derails before we really get to see it.

When will people realise it doesn’t matter who the fecking manager is nothing will change until the ownership does. Chopping and changing managers constantly will only achieve very short term and limited gains, i.e top 4 and the odd cup of we’re lucky before turning to shit again after 2 or 3 seasons. The clubs rotten to the core, the structure and entire set up is wrong and until that changes we’ll be seeing the same results over and over again.

This.
He's not beyond criticism but we need to stick with him and hope that the takeover happens. Hopefully then we can have a modern football structure at the club.

Then how would you explain every manager having the same problem for years now? Even Fergie was struggling to bring in top players at the end of his time here.

Not sure what you're trying to say here. Me saying the manager has to go because it isn't working out isn't mutually exclusive with believing there ALSO needs to be wider organisational changes - despite people here trying to present it as either or

Maybe I did, who knows. Think it's fair to say that some question marks about his transfers are definitely warranted
Maybe. I think the main ones from last year have generally been a success (Martinez and Casemiro)

Antony the jury is still out for.

Malacia and Eriksen were cheap punts.

We could do that, it's basically what we've done post-Fergie so far, but we'll end up in this same spiral for years constantly changing our approach.

I'd much rather we broke that cycle of failure, and spent a bit of time getting some better foundations in place.
No we won't because the next manager won't be able to spend £400m on his old mates from the Ukrainian league so he'll have to focus on the players we currently have instead.

Time for ETH's die hard fans to cut all the excuses and admit that we are currently dreadful. We've seen this before with other managers, including Ole.

We're all hoping that things will suddenly improve, but right now that is all it is... hope. There's nothing we've seen to suggest that this team is actually good enough.

What's that got to do with anything? You used Real Madrid's interest in de Zerbi as a counter to the idea that he's a flavour-of-the-month manager, as if they're always right about such things. I mentioned two recent examples of them getting it dead wrong.
Okay, great, lets hire him anyway and see how it works out?

I also don't buy into "club so toxic, no one would succeed" rhetoric.

After £400 spent, surely that can't be the core bullet point in favour of the manager
It's one of the many thought terminating cliche's that his fanboys post on here.

So clubs change managers when it's not working out? What a novel concept.

Why isn’t it working out? Is it just our shit luck that every manager we’ve hired was the wrong guy and they all fail and go the same way within 2 or 3 seasons or is there more to it than that? Maybe the entire setup around them is rotten and they’re destined to fail regardless of who it is.

It's plan A, and when plan A doesn't work, just do more plan A...

He needs to park the Sancho and Antony distractions and focus on a plan B, C and D, and speak to SAF about when to bring on subs.

Sadly it doesn't look like he's turning this around. He's so stubborn and it's hard to get over what bad fit and bad value for money his signings appear to be. The next manager we hire should be mostly required to work with the players he has. No more let's give him 2 years and wait and until he spends half a billion to see what happens. Of course we probably won't challenge for title with this bunch but let's at least try playing some decent football first.

His recruitment has been shocking but he's clearly a good manager. Feel like Solskjaers signings + Ten Hags management = the genesis of something decent. That said, it's way early in the season yet but I'll admit that our leagues a write off already and it's not even October which any other day would be an absolute disaster. I don't get that vibe with this season yet.

Time for ETH's die hard fans to cut all the excuses and admit that we are currently dreadful. We've seen this before with other managers, including Ole.

We're all hoping that things will suddenly improve, but right now that is all it is... hope. There's nothing we've seen to suggest that this team is actually good enough.
He is no better than Ole. He just got lucky with the league cup.

No. He wasted 400m.

Indeed. But the two things are related. He shouldn't have been allowed free reign like this, and wouldn't be allowed in a functioning club. We are not that and will remain so. It is all designed in a way that the managers bears all responsibility. And he will, perhaps rightfully so.

I don't care what anyone says, despite the dreadful start to the season we still look several leagues ahead of Ole's teams in terms of functionality/cohesion. I think the signings are questionable (Mount/Antony - albeit they would look better at reasonable prices) but I think there is promise. It's just a toxic environment so there's a good chance the whole thing derails before we really get to see it.
Pure copium.

Slaphead is finding its one thing to stroll to the Dutch title with the dominant side and quite another to have to compete in the toughest league. His desperation to shoehorn players into weird positions and his eagerness to marginalize others will come back to haunt him.

Why isn’t it working out? Is it just our shit luck that every manager we’ve hired was the wrong guy and they all fail and go the same way within 2 or 3 seasons or is there more to it than that? Maybe the entire setup around them is rotten and they’re destined to fail regardless of who it is.
It is how 99% of the clubs operate. What we had with SAF was an extreme outlier.

Right in because Murtough will simply wet the bed on the next manager too. Can't believe we spent circa £260m on Antony, Hoijlund, Mount and Onana when we didn't need to and they didnt even move a needle. We are fecked, he is done but Murtough and Arnold should precede him out of the door.
We're skint and we've got a squad that isn't fit for PL purpose.

When will people realise it doesn’t matter who the fecking manager is nothing will change until the ownership does. Chopping and changing managers constantly will only achieve very short term and limited gains, i.e top 4 and the odd cup of we’re lucky before turning to shit again after 2 or 3 seasons. The clubs rotten to the core, the structure and entire set up is wrong and until that changes we’ll be seeing the same results over and over again.

Without a doubt you are right the ownership situation isn’t ideal but he’s been given players, in fact most of them are connected to him in one way or another so it’s hard to blame Joel Glazer when he’s given ETH the players he wants

Theres not another manager on the planet who would have spent 90m on Antony

Well if they're coaching the team as well then no wonder we're fecking shite.

No? But if we are going for another rebuilt, the issue of club's ownership will be hanging over the rebuilt and it's doomed for another failure.
We need to have a better footballing structure at the club first. The fact that we actually entertained the idea of integrating Greenwood back into the team is beyond me.

At the moment I don't know what to do, but just hope for the best.

Okay, great, lets hire him anyway and see how it works out?
As long as he doesn't put us in danger of relegation, I'd rather we wait with replacing him until after the Glazers sell the club. I'd rather not waste a(nother) talented manager on this current shitpile of a club.

Before we get all hasty on the sacking Trend let’s just remember how Arteta time at Arsenal started and where they are now. Also we can’t forget ETH debut season.

No? But if we are going for another rebuilt, the issue of club's ownership will be hanging over the rebuilt and it's doomed for another failure.
We need to have a better footballing structure at the club first. The fact that we actually entertained the idea of integrating Greenwood back into the team is beyond me.

At the moment I don't know what to do, but just hope for the best.
Who said we need to rebuild again? We just need a manager that will coach the team and get them playing something resembling coherent football and winning games.

Status
Not open for further replies.