Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking worryingly like that 2month period we looked superb was very much the exception and based on the sheer force of will and impact of Martinez and Casemiro and outstanding Rashy form.

Now all three have for different reasons dropped off and so many player related issued we're utterly screwed.
Terrible transfer window too it really was.

That may be true but then if he fails here, we just sack him and get a new manager, but not trying and sticking with something that isn’t working and won’t work is just daft.
Any manager under the current structure and ownership is going to be pointless and a waste of time.

why fear? He needs to go

No he doesn't. He's a decent manager who modernizing Uited and brought some discipline back in the ranks. Its a shame that incompetence reigns above him.

Considering the season looks done and dusted in terms of getting any meaningful achievement, I just don't see the point of keeping him around for the rest of the season, finishing outside of a CL spot and having to also write off next season as an "adaptation period" for our new manager.

Logic would demand a sack now, bring in a new manager and give him this season as a period to get a feel for a squad and bring in some of his own desired signings in the winter window, we're likely not getting top 4 nor getting relegated so doesn't matter if we finish 7th of 15th, just let whomever replaces ETH get a feel for the club the rest of this season so he can be prepared for the upcoming one.

But of course if we were a club that did the logical thing, we wouldn't be where we are.
"own desired signings" - mate what do you think got us in this mess in the first place?!

I'm all for standing behind a manager but I'm starting to think he's fecked now anyway, he's spent a fortune building a side of players who aren't any better than the players he's replaced.

Honestly think he's spent millions on midtable players. We can't trust him with anymore money now surely. That alone says it all.

Completely agreed. Sunk cost fallacy now. We are simply piling on more deadwood.

The people above him need to go as well, they’ve backed him and he’s blown 400m quid on absolute shite. What the feck is happening when a manager will only sign players he’s managed at a lower level of football

Fecking ridiculous
Agreed. Zero structure at the club. How we give a manager this much control over transfers is beyond me.

Good post I read on the sunderland forum:

The idea that modern managers have very little say in recruitment is completely wrong. I do agree with the poster with the fact that there should be competent footballing structure in place with a DoF who is actually qualified for the job. John Murtaugh was head of sport science at Everton before Moyes brought him along in 2013. Yet, somehow he has been promoted to be a DoF here with absolutely no prior experience. Who does he have working alongside him? Darren Fletcher and Richard Arnold. Absolutely shambolic trio.

Lets be real, its another Ole/RR season. Off field scandals, fallouts with players, probably lost the dressing room. No system of play, shite transfer window.

any half decent side with their best 11 on the field is going to turn us over most weeks no problem

I can't say I am 100 per cent with Ten Hag any more. I think his desire to keep ball and be indirect contributes to days like today. Where we keep the ball but don't actually look like we're going anywhere with it.

All that being said I can't blame him for a 10 year process of gradual decline. Should he be doing more to address our fall from grace? Yes. Is it all his fault, no. Even if I am not completely sold on his plan for fixing things, I am not going to blame him for the damage that's happened since 2013.

We were a glorified cup team long before Ten Hag. Changing that is going to take something that's far beyond me to suggest.
We only kept the ball cos Palace let us. Wolves and Brighton dominated us.

Mount and Bruno out of position, no clear structure in midfield, playing players who are out of form… he is making too many mistakes and it shows

Everyone could see it coming from a mile what a huge risk this was. But as soon as you questioned his demands, it was all about being a Glazer shill, not backing the manager, yadda yadda

We can talk about the ownership all we want, but there isn't a fanbase in football that has gotten football more wrong than ours in the last 10 years.

No he doesn't. He's a decent manager who modernizing Uited and brought some discipline back in the ranks. Its a shame that incompetence reigns above him.

Decent is not good enough. He is not modernising on the pitch. Decision making and transfers are horrific.

Its 2 seasons and we still cant attack well consistently thats my biggest issue with him. Why is our attack so bad.

Any manager under the current structure and ownership is going to be pointless and a waste of time.
No, they can coach the team and win games. That’s their job, that’s what they should be focusing on. There is still a possibility to do those things. We’re not going to win the league under the current ownership but we can play football in a coherent way.

We can talk about the ownership all we want, but there isn't a fanbase in football that has gotten football more wrong than ours in the last 10 years.
There were actually people defending that supposed move for Arnautovic, because the manager knows best and all

Deserves to be fired for playing Amrabat at left back. An absolute waste of talent.

The guy is completely useless - bent over by Old Roy.

He’s gonna be under pressure now. Not that I want him to go, but he’s gotta turn it around fast. His insistence with Casemiro-Bruno-Mount looks like a failed experiment. Needs to rethink that fast

The Mount signing ranks alongside the Antony for WTF was he thinking.

90 million on Antony and 65 million on a player we just didn't need is absolute madness. This is rotten though, someone above him should have known Antony wasn't worth half that amount and the same person should have been saying 65 million needs spending in different areas of the team.

Reserving judgement on Hojlund but not seeing anything that Weghorst didn't offer us.

The criticism of him is expected. Most of it sounds demented to me. The problem is we don’t like losing. Somebody must be held accountable. It has to be Erik.

But. He is not a poor coach. He has not made bad signings (even if they cost more money than they should). He is not a bad motivator- we ran our socks off today. There’s simply no need to pretend that he’s poor or out of his depth or whatever other shit you want to sling at him. The inescapable truth is there in black and white: the results. The results are not good enough.

What is the problem? What is the solution?

Erik is not the problem. But if there is no other solution then it is likely he will be sacked. Sadly the problem (whatever it is) will not be solved by sacking him.

It happens often in football that good managers find it hard to win. They usually get sacked, no matter who they are.

No, they can coach the team and win games. That’s their job, that’s what they should be focusing on. There is still a possibility to do those things. We’re not going to win the league under the current ownership but we can play football in a coherent way.
Exactly. This idea of blaming all details on the Glazers is played out. Managers still have influence people.

Seems like a cycle. New manager, good results, spend lots of money during the transfer window, injuries, underperform, noise in the dressing room, pressure mounts, sack the coach, repeat.

i hope we stick to the manager this time. Push through these hard times hoping to get new owners and stabilise the cub as a whole

Who said that? Maybe City sounding him out to replace Pep tickles your fancy more?

Fact of the matter is, if you keep letting your rivals pinch the best talent on the market, guess what you end up with? Shite.
ETH was exactly that before we signed him. All signs pointing to it not working out

De Zerbi's team at least plays decent football - even after losing some core players. What makes Ten Hag qualified? Talking about principles and plans we never see implemented?
Being a good manager? It seems to be a good enough criteria for City and Madrid, but we're above it or something?

That football was put in place over several years by Potter, before De Zerbi got near it.

Ten Hag's CV is miles ahead of De Zerbi's, who's biggest achievement is "plays nice football", having been relegated from Serie A and fired from another Italian team after 2 months.

Even if DZ had done anything to reasonably suggest he was qualified for the job, Ten Hag is a better fit for our situation given that we're trying to build a progressive football team from scratch and were abject when he took over.

If you want him out, then fine, but that opinion means little if your suggested replacement is nothing more than a punt on the current in vogue hipster manager.

I see everything, I just have common sense not to talk some over the top bollocks about it.

You always seem to bat away any concerns. Not saying that’s wrong but what are you seeing that keeps you positive?

The criticism of him is expected. Most of it sounds demented to me. The problem is we don’t like losing. Somebody must be held accountable. It has to be Erik.

But. He is not a poor coach. He has not made bad signings (even if they cost more money than they should). He is not a bad motivator- we ran our socks off today. There’s simply no need to pretend that he’s poor or out of his depth or whatever other shit you want to sling at him. The inescapable truth is there in black and white: the results. The results are not good enough.

What is the problem? What is the solution?

Erik is not the problem. But if there is no other solution then it is likely he will be sacked. Sadly the problem (whatever it is) will not be solved by sacking him.

It happens often in football that good managers find it hard to win. They usually get sacked, no matter who they are.
On today.
He dropped Mejbri and Garnacho.
That his mistake and it sends the wrong message to the players too.

Status
Not open for further replies.