Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Extremely average tactician, terrible motivator
Worse recruiter

And to top it all off, he treats the club like it’s his own personality cult. I said that the Sancho thing will backfire and I suspect that it will be revealed that it was the straw that broke the camel’s back if Ten Hag can’t turn it around and the dressing room throw him under the bus. In addition, Sancho’s refusal to apologise is being vindicated with every terrible performance. These players need a fresh start.

His downfall will be trying to build the attack around Rashford and Bruno, we actually aren’t bad when it comes to progressing the ball but if the players you rely on to pull the trigger are extremely wasteful and/or uninvolved then you are just playing with a handicap. Although tbf to Bruno, the Mount buy fecked him as he has to play deeper now, which he isn’t cut out for.

Unfortunately our team is suited to counter attacking football.
ETH is trying to make us win posession and organise steady attacks but we can't do it.

Our results will improve massively if he just put the team in defence mode and starts relying on quick counters.

Also, this will take us nowhere.

Also, if Glazers don't feck off, nothing really matters much.

Give Carrick a go I guess.

Not surprised after the Summer Transfer window we had and way Glazers work.

Time to speak up louder ETH. Fans are forgetting the evil owners too quickly.

You should have seen how we looked when we lost 7-0 to Liverpool.
Don't really care, De Zerbi is flourishing because of the environment he is surrounded by at Brighton. He'd get absolutely eaten alive here.

People just don't understand what the actual issue is here.

He's under the pump. You are always going to be at Man United with a start like this.

I sort of (think) I see what he is trying to do. In the last couple of games we have had a lot of control over the game with the way the full backs are playing in midfield. The possession has been very good. But possession alone isn't enough and we have a big problem creating quality chances in the final third and of course the early season individual branfarts in defence have severely cost us when they were completely avoidable, a lot of it not even coming from team structure but the mental capacity of individuals.

Goes without saying he needs results (and performances) fast. But we'll start with a few results in the league and then worry about performance.

Good post I read on the sunderland forum:
Yepp it's all very simple, our board are inept as they don't know much about having a good plan hence why we crying out for a top DoF. Who allowed this board in charge.... the glazers who again don't know much about football.

It's a mess.

80M Antony, 70M Hojlund, 60M Mount, 70M Casemeiro, 60M Onana what's our DOF doing? Murtough need to go before we sack the manager again. Need a DOF with proper track record to revamp the football structure.
I've held this opinion for a long time, Murtough needs to go before anyone, but it's starting to feel like they both need to go. Bizarrely Ten Hag has been gifted 50% of the voting power for transfers and Murtough makes up the other 50%, considering the performances/bad decisions on the pitch combined with the money wasted, Ten Hag is at fault for this mess as much as anyone.

NINTCHDBPICT000481993873.jpg
Our squad would eat him alive

Considering the season looks done and dusted in terms of getting any meaningful achievement, I just don't see the point of keeping him around for the rest of the season, finishing outside of a CL spot and having to also write off next season as an "adaptation period" for our new manager.

Logic would demand a sack now, bring in a new manager and give him this season as a period to get a feel for a squad and bring in some of his own desired signings in the winter window, we're likely not getting top 4 nor getting relegated so doesn't matter if we finish 7th of 15th, just let whomever replaces ETH get a feel for the club the rest of this season so he can be prepared for the upcoming one.

But of course if we were a club that did the logical thing, we wouldn't be where we are.
Rinse & repeat.

Not surprised after the Summer Transfer window we had and way Glazers work.

Time to speak up louder ETH. Fans are forgetting the evil owners too quickly.
He was allowed to spend an absolute fortune since coming in. I fail to see how this current form is on the Glazers

He's shit but I don't understand why the hierarchy of the club didn't change the footballing structure before he came in. Why is Ten Hag in full charge of transfers when it's clear he is beyond useless in that area? What happened to our Director of Football? And don't get me started on Darren Fletcher.

Think he’ll be gone soon if he continues being this clueless.

The people above him need to go as well, they’ve backed him and he’s blown 400m quid on absolute shite. What the feck is happening when a manager will only sign players he’s managed at a lower level of football

Fecking ridiculous

We were better under Solskjaer. Statistically and to watch despite the horror show at the end of his time. This is no different.

We were at least more exciting and entertaining to watch -- Individual brilliance FC but at least there were goals. And we had the best away record in the league. And had the highest percentage of points coming from behind of any team in the league. They fought for the manager... until CR7 came.

Now... if we get bonus points for pretty passing, I am sure we will avoid relegation

Don't really care, De Zerbi is flourishing because of the environment he is surrounded by at Brighton. He'd get absolutely eaten alive here.

In fairness they might, but the hopelessness of it ever realistically changing has defeated them. So instead they prefer the quick fix of it might be better next time, in hope. Copium, but it's all the Glazers have left them with.
Things would still be a shambles behind the scenes, but we might at least be winning. I don't agree at all, but I can understand the mindset. Defeated.

Will De Zerbi be available? If yes let's get him. We need a manager with proper tactical knowledge and know how to conjure up attacking plays. We look clueless and there us no excuse with the quality of players at his disposal.
We may be even able to attract Mitoma over to replace Rashford if we can convince De Zerbi on the switch

Unfortunately our team is suited to counter attacking football.
ETH is trying to make us win posession and organise steady attacks but we can't do it.

Our results will improve massively if he just put the team in defence mode and starts relying on quick counters.

Also, this will take us nowhere.

Also, if Glazers don't feck off, nothing really matters much.

Give Carrick a go I guess.
Why are we still suited to counter attacking football if he wants us to play differently? He's had time and £400m to change the team to be suited to his style

That may be true but then if he fails here, we just sack him and get a new manager, but not trying and sticking with something that isn’t working and won’t work is just daft.

Word on the street was he didn’t want to work with Ragnick….then went to spend 400m on fecking crap he’s managed in Holland

Sackable in itself

He's lost the dressing room hasn't he. It's not totally a reflection on him, I can't really conceive any manager getting 100% from all of this squad for more than a honeymoon period.

He doesn't get 4th he is gone. Maybe he doesn't mind. Probably sick of the non-football off field dramas associated with this club. I think his lack of proficiency in English is also coming back to bite him.

It's looking more and more like has some good ideas but also not good enough to actually progress us beyond top 4 level. And when expectations rise to be more than top 4 and you don't know how to implement that, things can slip really quickly. He should be under huge pressure. Can't just sack and replace right away, but we 100% should be looking at the next 9 games from now until the November international break and if things aren't seriously improving, then act at that point. But we should be putting out feelers before then so we can replace swiftly if we need to.

I'm definitely losing hope in him though. He doesn't need to be Pep or Klopp level for me. But it seems like he's not even in that 2nd tier down from that with Arteta, De Zerbi, who knows with Ange they're living off vibes and 0 fixture congestion right now but still. And he needs to be at least on the 2nd tier. So if he's not, he's gotta be replaced.

In fairness they might, but the hopelessness of it ever realistically changing has defeated them. So instead they prefer the quick fix of it might be better next time, in hope. Copium, but it's all the Glazers have left them with.
Things would still be a shambles behind the scenes, but we might at least be winning. I don't agree at all, but I can understand the mindset. Defeated.
You’re giving too much credit.

There's no point planning for future managers until we sort out our recruitment.

We need to bring in someone who can identify the right players, and future managers work with who they bring in. It's been obvious that, regardless of their style, Moyes, van Gaal, José, Ole and ten Hag could not identify the right players for the styles they wanted to implement here.

Arsenals fortunes started changing when they got Edu in who identified press resistant players. We need an Edu first and foremost.

I feel he needs to play more youth prospects to salvage anything. Sadly some of the first team have checked out.

Difficult to see how this improves, we've spent a huge amount indulging the manager and looked to be left with another expensive and flawed group and manager chewed up for his buys.

We desperately need a skilled DOF that can make it his job to look at players and data for a vision. I don't really blame a coach as much, his player knowledge will be limited and we've already amassed bunch of poor players before he came.

He's shit but I don't understand why the hierarchy of the club didn't change the footballing structure before he came in. Why is Ten Hag in full charge of transfers when it's clear he is beyond useless in that area? What happened to our Director of Football? And don't get me started on Darren Fletcher.

Murtough basically took the risk or maybe it was written in ETH's agreement that he has a heavy say in the transfers or he wouldn't come. One thing is that you cant say that ETH wasnt backed.

The only people - Ralf Rangnick, who really know football and able to revamp our football structure was booted out of the club in no time by Murtough and Erik. Most likely, RR ways to revamp the club may not be in line with the clueless Murtough and Erik.

Fast forward to now, we wasted another 2 years of time and 400M, playing worse football. 2 years ago when we employed RR we wanted to play high pressing football like Liverpool, City and Arsenal. Lo and behold, we are nowhere near.

Murtough has to go together with Erik.

Yeah, good thing De Zerbi does it in the Prem, and not in a league that boasts FC Volendam and PEC Zwolle
Or in the CL against Real Madrid and Spurs.

I'm not saying De Zerbi is a bad manager by any means, but it's way too early to determined he isn't flavour of the month

Last season there was a debate if there was any difference between us under EtH and under Ole with how poorly we ended the season. The difference was Licha and Casemiro and with both being injured or not playing well, it confirms that we aren’t any better.

Two preseasons and over a year in charge and we look well off being a top team.

We all know the deal whether we choose to say it or not but EtH is done here. It might not be imminent but he doesn’t have it in him to turn it around IMO.

This is where a strong and charismatic manager could dig the team from this hole but EtH has negative charisma. He’s not what was sold to us or at least not of the required level. He’s pretty much come here and built a squad that arguably more disjointed than the one Ole left.

Why are we still suited to counter attacking football if he wants us to play differently? He's had time and £400m to change the team to be suited to his style
Because our two "stars" are pretty much unmoveable but are suited to that counter attacking style

Status
Not open for further replies.