Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's being undermined but we have been here before...the club is toxic from top to bottom.

It's always "should have" with us. Should've won this, should've scored that. Could say we should've lost to Wolves too if we want to go down that road. It's nonsense spouted by people who blindly want to defend their view. Fact is we weren't up 2-0 against Spurs, because our attack is terrible and we play awful football at least 45 minutes every match. It's there for all to see
We play well and don’t win = moan. We play poorly and get a result = moan. Can’t take this seriously.

We play well and don’t win = moan. We play poorly and get a result = moan. Can’t take this seriously.
Seems that the solution is to play well and win. Which is the target of all top clubs. Those that manage to do so are called successful, the others are usually called failures.

Playing well is also very much related to winning. Usually clubs that play well win a lot, those that don’t play well don’t win much.

That's not even a response to what he said but it's fine. We're getting used to these kind of pointless replies that don't address the main argument, because that's all you and others have to say.

Seems that the solution is to play well and win. Which is the target of all top clubs. Those that manage to do so are called successful, the others are usually called failures.

Playing well is also very much related to winning. Usually clubs that play well win a lot, those that don’t play well don’t win much.
Brilliant I never would have thought of that. We’ve seen it in spurts but if you think ETH was going to be able to pull that off at this point I can’t help you. I pulled it off in football manager with United if that helps.

That's not even a response to what he said but it's fine. We're getting used to these kind of pointless replies that don't address the main argument, because that's all you and others have to say.
Ridiculous posts get ridiculous responses. You of all people should have learned that by now as the the loudest of the uninformed

Last edited:
To be fair, Ancelotti is (likely) gonna be free in the summer. Zidane is also jobless. Spalletti and Inzaghi could be interesting choices too, Nagelsmann as you mentioned, De Zerbi can show that he is not an one year wonder, same for Howe. We can get Emery to win us the Europa, providing we finish 6th or 7th this season :)

Truth be told, there are always good managers available and keeping an underperforming manager just cause there is not much out there is not a good idea. But truth be told, for a new manager to have a high impact the club should have a good football structure above him. We do not have one, for whatever reasons our DoF thinks that his job is to bring the players the managers requests (and ideally overpay for them). So while there are interesting choices there (look at de Zerbi who was a nobody but now looks like one of the most promising managers in the world), it likely will be the same old song for us. It will be crap again, but a lot of people will be convinced that our manager is right there with Klopp and Pep if he wins a League Cup.

I'm still so skeptical of Zidane, especially outside of Real (and maybe the French NT) where he could leverage his intimate familiarity with the company and his own aura, maybe that's unfair of me.

I'd like one of the interesting Italian coaches but only after the club has a real DS.

Or Bielsa for maximum chaos.

Forget results, the absolute shit this guy has had to deal with in terms of personnel since his arrival at the club :wenger: it cannot be easy to get things operating at the pace you want with these constant setbacks.

Brilliant I never would have thought of that. We’ve seen it in spurts but if you think ETH was going to be able to pull that off at this point I can’t help you. I pulled it off in football manager with United if that helps.
Hw can literally play a full squad of players he signed and have in bench a few others he signed or promoted. Well providing they are fit after the international break.

But being slightly more serious, why United seems to be the only club where the manager needs an eternity and two squads of players he signed to have some impact? It took de Zerbi approximately 3 hours to have his impact at the team. Howe needed a bit more, a week or so, to turn Newcastle from useless to quite good. Spurs manager came out of nowhere, lost the best player Spurs had in over 30 years, and the club seems to play football very well.

Now people might say that De Zerbi is in one of the best run clubs in the world, and that is true so he had an advantage. But Newcastle were genuinely shit. And Spurs were worse than we were under Rangnick and is a club that is not well-run.

So something is off here.

He needs at least six more transfer windows. Then we'll see his ideas and the doubters will feel silly.

I’m still behind ETH but even if things get a lot worse, there is no point in a new manager until the club is sold and/or there’s significant change in the non-playing personnel at the club.

We’re still making the same mistakes under him that we made under Moyes, Mourinho, LvG and Ole. A new manager comes in and we’ll still make the same short term decisions, still overpay for subpar players, and be in the same predicament a year from now.

10 years on from Fergie leaving and we’ve got Woodward appointments handling things. Has there been significant effort to headhunt the elite in their field outside of the manager?

Last edited:
Hw can literally play a full squad of players he signed and have in bench a few others he signed or promoted. Well providing they are fit after the international break.

But being slightly more serious, why United seems to be the only club where the manager needs an eternity and two squads of players he signed to have some impact? It took de Zerbi approximately 3 hours to have his impact at the team. Howe needed a bit more, a week or so, to turn Newcastle from useless to quite good. Spurs manager came out of nowhere, lost the best player Spurs had in over 30 years, and the club seems to play football very well.

Now people might say that De Zerbi is in one of the best run clubs in the world, and that is true so he had an advantage. But Newcastle were genuinely shit. And Spurs were worse than we were under Rangnick and is a club that is not well-run.

So something is off here.
Rangnik has the people management skills of a turnip but he was right about the number of players that needed replacing. Neither Brighton nor Newcastle (how do they look now that they had to integrate more new players?) had to integrate the same number of new players, so these vacuum comparisons are complete bollocks. Also if you completely disregard the positives from last season under difficult circumstances, you’re moaning because you want to. Enjoy I guess if that’s floats your boat.

From the top, stopping short of the U-21's, we are an intensely dislikeable football club right now and have been for some time. Probably around the time of sacking a manager 1 hour after a cup win. It has been an absolute circus from that point.

I don't know who to feel sorry for anymore, probably just the fans at this point and even then most of them are twats as well.

I don't see this season ending well for EtH and his staff.

Until we have a DoF who recruits players based on data and ideals then any manager we have is going to fail. They cannot be allowed to select targets. Have a say? Sure. Decide? No.

How about we just wait until he has a squad that doesn’t contain martial as his starting striker?
It’s not just the players on an individual basis. It’s the fact that we needed to replace 10-11 players as a result of a banker and two managers, one that played Stone Age football and one that was grossly under qualified, making transfer decisions over the span of 7 years. The expectation that everything starts clicking at this point is completely unfounded in reality, and ignoring the positives from last year is just baffling. If they already have their mind made up they’re just on a WUM at this point or they’re grossly overvaluing their opinion. They want to bring up Brighton when Brighton have perhaps the best front office set up in the world, while ETH came into a squad built by Mourinho, Solskjaer and Woodward.

Until we have a DoF who recruits players based on data and ideals then any manager we have is going to fail. They cannot be allowed to select targets. Have a say? Sure. Decide? No.

Need to make sure they are not domestic abusers or wrong'uns in other ways. That would be a good starting place for profiling.

Need to make sure they are not domestic abusers or wrong'uns in other ways. That would be a good starting place for profiling.
Ultimately none of them are in the eyes of the law.

There's some irony in the fact that the team that beat us yesterday stood by their manager for a few years before he came good. And Arsenal were pretty poor in Arteta's first two seasons.

All or Nothing on Arsenal and Arteta on Amazon Prime is something toxic Man Utd fans should watch. Would help them understand.

I’m still behind ETH but even if things get a lot worse, there is no point in a new manager until the club is sold and/or there’s significant change in the non-playing personnel at the club.

We’re still making the same mistakes under him that we made under Moyes, Mourinho, LvG and Ole. A new manager comes in and we’ll still make the same short term decisions, still overpay for subpar players, and be in the same predicament a year from now.

What are the awful short term decisions made under ten Hag? Casemiro and Eriksen?

ETH needs another 2 years minimum. I don't get the uproar from yesterday we looked a lot better than the other matches this season away from home against a good side.

He is still trying to remove the shit that was there before him and it was never going to be possible in 2 years especially with the finances including all the dead wood.

Signings done by him are kind of shaky so far and he is clearly a manager that benefits from having a good scouting deparment, which we clearly don't.

I still support him, he at least tried to address our clear issues. Considering the current mood I forsee Pochettino as manager by Christmas, which would be a clear sign that we haven't managed to break the current cycle.

Just curious, how did we manage to finish above Brighton and Newcastle despite the fact that they were supposedly turned around immediately? :lol:

Just curious, how did we manage to finish above Brighton and Newcastle despite the fact that they were supposedly turned around immediately? :lol:
That's the thing. Their new shiny toy keep on changing. Yesterday it was eddie howe, before that potter, right now agne and de zebri. If they lose they will create a new shiny toy. But will not admit that it is the structure which is the root problem of everything.

Newcastle were almost relegated before Howe took over. We've never finished lower than 6th so all you've proven is that the squad is not the problem.

Newcastle were almost relegated before Howe took over. We've never finished lower than 6th so all you've proven is that the squad is not the problem.
Yep and nothing changed at Newcastle since then did it? Good lord do you people hear yourselves

So is it the manager or the club? Which explanation totally absolves ETH
ETH does not need absolution as he performed above expectations in his first season. You were telling everyone to be patient with Solskjaer up until the time he was let go, which was year 3.

Three more years of this? :nono:
He will land frenkie, and all will change.

ETH does not need absolution as he performed above expectations in his first season. You were telling everyone to be patient with Solskjaer up until the time he was let go, which was year 3.
I never said he would turn it around, funnily enough I said the same things some are saying now, if we sacked him who would we go for. Give him till the summer etc

So is it the manager or the club? Which explanation totally absolves ETH
Who is absolving anything? We have to improve but all People are just saying give the man some time. Most of his signings have not even played for us properly. We cannot be overreactive for everything.

He will land frenkie, and all will change.

I never said he would turn it around, funnily enough I said the same things some are saying now, if we sacked him who would we go for. Give him till the summer etc
Unfortunately for you, ETH performed better in his first season than any season under Solskjaer, under much more difficult circumstances.

Unfortunately for you, ETH performed better in his first season than any season under Solskjaer, under much more difficult circumstances.
And Howe and DZerbi outperformed them both. Finishing ahead of Brighton should not be an achievement, or proof of a better manager ffs. They just lost all their core players.

And Howe and DZerbi outperformed them both. Finishing ahead of Brighton should not be an achievement, or proof of a better manager ffs. They just lost all their core players.
They lost all their core players this season. We finished above them last season. You’re running out of steam here.

People are so reactionary to results.

One inch the other way and we win that game 2-1 and this thread is full of praise for him.

They lost all their core players this season. We finished above them last season. You’re running out of steam here.

They both played better football than us last season with lesser players. That's not even debatable. I dread to think where we would be if we had their squads from last season and the amount of transfer windows you lot would be saying we need before we can see good football.

They lose core players every season, and changed managers a month into the last one.

But yeah, you win this one. ETH has Brighton on toast, because he finished ahead of them.

People are so reactionary to results.

One inch the other way and we win that game 2-1 and this thread is full of praise for him.
We were on the back foot for most of the game and almost won a smash and grab. If course people would be happier, but I don't think it would paper over the cracks. Our midfield is still an issue, Erikson moments aside.

Status
Not open for further replies.