Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just like I thought, teams now don't want to press our back because our CB and GK are very good at progressing the ball. Midfield however, is not. This is why De Jong or Silva type of players are so important for this system
Also, fecking absurd that no one told team how to defend corner.

nobody was clamoring for Mount and Amrabat, nobody was clamouring for him, especially before the world cup. I am referring to the contrasting players in each department. how does it align?
This isn’t complicated at all. Could we have used the big signing in midfield some of our top 4 rivals were able to secure? Sure. We also desperately needed a striker and a replacement for de Gea on a relatively limited budget, so no matter how the money was divided, it was impossible to fill every hole. We went for midfield depth rather than spending that some on a single midfielder, and signed two players with a different skill set.

I hope I'm right too. I see what I see, I may be wrong.

The other thing is he's also totally changed how the setup and distribution from goalkicks etc is working. I think all that takes time to implement in games, especially when a number of players just aren't used to it, they have to learn all the triggers, the runs, understanding with players around them etc. It takes more than 3 or 4 games to get it working.

Maybe it does, and evidently signing Onana is a big step, but it then makes you wonder what the plan was last year if he needed such a different player in goal to make his system work? Why persist with De Gea who patently can't do that?

I admire your optimism and perhaps I'm unduly pessimistic, but we've had a number of managers who have come in and torn up what the old manager did, signed tens of millions of pounds worth of players who weren't good enough, failed, and then the next manager has the problem of what to do with them all while wanting another 7 or 8 of his own. He fails, then it's rinse and repeat. That is evidently, in part, a problem caused by the structure of the footballing side of the club, but it's heading worryingly towards a point where we're being asked to trust what the new man is doing without really seeing a significant improvement over a year down the line.

Time will tell I suppose.

I have a feeling he'll get sacked this season if our form doesn't pick up.

This feels moreso the case if the Glazers don't end up selling.

He was being sacked last season after 2 shocking result last season. This season same story. We start we too slow.

This season we need to finish in top 4 and good run in CL. We need to establish us as a CL team.

I do not think so. We do not have much money, so we cannot do another rebuild again. Simply saying there isn’t another 400m pounds there to do another rebuild.

If Glazers do not sell, I think he’ll be here next season regardless. They have to stick with him. If they sell, then all bets are off. I believe after spending 6 billion, the new owners will be very ruthless.

i think that sacking ETH would be a disaster long term, that would be a just a rinse and repeat of the LVG, Mourinho, Ole situation and ETH is far superior to all those lads.

I can be patient with him because he does have a plan and we still have some many of the culprits around going back to even Jose's time. The club hierarchy are more to blame for wasting cash etc. Look at how long it took Arteta to clear the decks and they probably still are not close enough to City.

I do not think so. We do not have much money, so we cannot do another rebuild again. Simply saying there isn’t another 400m pounds there to do another rebuild.

If Glazers do not sell, I think he’ll be here next season regardless. They have to stick with him. If they sell, then all bets are off. I believe after spending 6 billion, the new owners will be very ruthless.
Remember how low things had to get with Ole finally sacked, things wont get that bad

Just like I thought, teams now don't want to press our back because our CB and GK are very good at progressing the ball. Midfield however, is not. This is why De Jong or Silva type of players are so important for this system
Also, fecking absurd that no one told team how to defend corner.

Amrabat will really help with our ball progression from midfield.

Remember how low things had to get with Ole finally sacked, things wont get that bad
Yep, and to be fair, despite that I do not think ETH is all that great, he has to be a better manager than Ole. I think we will be mostly mediocre this season, but not Ole/Rangnick bad.

i think that sacking ETH would be a disaster long term, that would be a just a rinse and repeat of the LVG, Mourinho, Ole situation and ETH is far superior to all those lads.

I can be patient with him because he does have a plan and we still have some many of the culprits around going back to even Jose's time. The club hierarchy are more to blame for wasting cash etc. Look at how long it took Arteta to clear the decks and they probably still are not close enough to City.

I agree it would be a complete travesty if he were sacked. You have to give him this season at least. If we’re struggling next year after another transfer window then all bets are off. But, I have a feeling we will be much better during the second half of this season as injuries subside and new players are fully integrated. Then, next summer window we bring in a quality defender to replace Maguire, bring in one or two midfielders, bring in a RW to challenge Antony, and a backup striker. I think it will make all the difference.

Honestly it just seems like you're complaining for the sake of complaining, as you must know the comparisons you're making aren't fair or useful. You're comparing Brighton at home against a Newcastle team who aren't playing well, to us away against a difficult Arsenal side that we matched, and also in doing so comparing a Brighton team that's been playing that way for ages, under multiple managers, to EtH trying to take bus parking team and make them a front foot team and has had one season to do so thus far.

On top of that, you're completely wrong about the lack of progress. On Onana, while you're right that we had a lot of the ball at the back, my statement that we're much more comfortable doing that than last season still stands, as DDG would have just booted it after passing to an Arsenal player the first few times. On our pressing, while we were more cautious against Arsenal, it's so much better than last season, we've won the ball back in dangerous areas a lot so far this season. So there's clearly marked improvement, we aren't the finished article yet and so we aren't naively trying to go toe to toe with top teams away from home, but it takes time.

I'm not complaining, I'm making a point that there are numerous sides in the PL, many of whom are less well-resourced, who appear to be able to play front foot, attacking football for the most part.

Brighton highlight a point. They have a defined system, similar (but not the same) under Potter and De Zerbi which is good to watch and gives teams problems. They can lose players and simply slot others in, often not as experienced/talented as the ones they're replacing, straight in. Meanwhile, a year down the line, despite having players of the quality of Casemiro, Eriksen and Fernandes, they're all unable to get to grips with whatever tactics Ten Hag wants to employ? Either the players don't fit the tactics, or they don't get what they're being asked to do.

Onana looks great in possession. The problem is he has five touches and since the midfield can't progress it, it ends up back at his feet and he then boots it long towards Rashford on the left, just like De Gea was.

You might think you can see significant improvement. Good for you, but I don't see it. We were poor at the end of last season and it's continued into this. The Wolves game is one of the worst I've seen in years. Midfield is an obvious problem and it's been that way for years. Maybe Amrabat changes that to a degree and if so we've dodged a massive bullet given how late we left it, totally relaint on him pushing it trhough because we'd blown most of the money already.

Yep, and to be fair, despite that I do not think ETH is all that great, he has to be a better manager than Ole. I think we will be mostly mediocre this season, but not Ole/Rangnick bad.

I don't know, he does seem to have a bit of a bad habit for some humiliating defeats. If Liverpool put another 7+ past us, I don't know if he could survive that. But if there is a club that someone could survive that it's probably Man Utd.

Amrabat will really help with our ball progression from midfield.
He’ll help with the counter press too by winning more duels in midfield. All the geniuses in here thinking they know better than the manager can’t see how Amrabat and Hoijland can aid in what ETH is is trying to do when it’s really not that difficult.

I don't think the Glazers care at all.

If results don't pick up, they are skint and sure, could just put up with bad results - meaning they are even more worse off financially, or fire him and take a risk on a new manager giving the team a bounce and getting into UCL.

I don't want that to be the case but Glazers clearly don't give a hoot on fan backclash and will do anything to have a Top 5 finish.

Boiling things down to “Moments FC” nonsense is so childish. This fanbase seemed to mentally regress once Jose came in and it’s only been downhill from there.

I don't know, he does seem to have a bit of a bad habit for some humiliating defeats. If Liverpool put another 7+ past us, I don't know if he could survive that. But if there is a club that someone could survive that it's probably Man Utd.
As opposed to his predecessors? We can’t complain about those defeats and they’ll in the same breath complain about the tactics yesterday. Those tactics were designed to avoid that kind of defeat and succeeded in doing so.

I'm not complaining, I'm making a point that there are numerous sides in the PL, many of whom are less well-resourced, who appear to be able to play front foot, attacking football for the most part.

Brighton highlight a point. They have a defined system, similar (but not the same) under Potter and De Zerbi which is good to watch and gives teams problems. They can lose players and simply slot others in, often not as experienced/talented as the ones they're replacing, straight in. Meanwhile, a year down the line, despite having players of the quality of Casemiro, Eriksen and Fernandes, they're all unable to get to grips with whatever tactics Ten Hag wants to employ? Either the players don't fit the tactics, or they don't get what they're being asked to do.

Onana looks great in possession. The problem is he has five touches and since the midfield can't progress it, it ends up back at his feet and he then boots it long towards Rashford on the left, just like De Gea was.

You might think you can see significant improvement. Good for you, but I don't see it. We were poor at the end of last season and it's continued into this. The Wolves game is one of the worst I've seen in years. Midfield is an obvious problem and it's been that way for years. Maybe Amrabat changes that to a degree and if so we've dodged a massive bullet given how late we left it, totally relaint on him pushing it trhough because we'd blown most of the money already.
That's what I am seeing as well. Do we really need a season to understand what his tactics really are? The players certainly don't.

But hey we won a trophy and most posters are just hiding behind that tinpot cup and injuries. There is visibly no improvement and we have been worse since Rashford's purple patch.

He's press resistance but is not that type of players.
I only watched him at World Cup so I'm pretty much clueless but still doubt it.

He played a much more defensive role for Morocco in the WC with the way they set up. If you look at his stats for Fiorentina he’s more like a deep lying playmaker with all his passing stats in the high 90’s.

I fully expect another Anfield humiliation. It likely won't be a 7-0, but something like 3+ defeat is inevitable IMO.

I just think that without new owners it is kinda pointless to sack him. We know that Murtough, Arnold and co are useless. They'll just hire Nagelsmann or whoever is the highest profile available manager, but this time don't have 400m to give to him, and have no other idea of running a club that is not 'ask the manager what he wants, overpay for those players by not having alternatives, ideally panic in deadline day, then give a new contract to the manager when he is showing to be bad, to then sack him a couple of months later'.

He’ll help with the counter press too by winning more duels in midfield. All the geniuses in here thinking they know better than the manager can’t see how Amrabat and Hoijland can aid in what ETH is is trying to do when it’s really not that difficult.

Indeed. I think he’ll be a great addition. People will realise very quickly how much better our midfield will be will him in it.

That's what I am seeing as well. Do we really need a season to understand what his tactics really are? The players certainly don't.

But hey we won a trophy and most posters are just hiding behind that tinpot cup and injuries. There is visibly no improvement and we have been worse since Rashford's purple patch.
Yep that’s all we saw last season we got to 75 points despite playing mid week for half the season because the manager did nothing right. Thinly veiled negative spin for the purpose of moaning. Sounds like a fun way to enjoy football! :lol:

I'm feeling quite pessimistic. Whether it's on ETH or the owners is up for discussion.

He's done well in the first season, and then been given a huge slate to remake the squad in his image this summer. The result is the squad feels less together and balanced than before. If he wanted Maguire to feck off (I did) the club should have paid the man what he was owed to facilitate the west ham transfer. The way it ended up made everybody at the club look bad and an alienated player. Similar for McTominay; why isn't he being sold if not in the managers plans? We've sold a bunch of players though but left ourselves with Martial starting up front and an unproven kid who'll have to be the messiah if we want top 4.

Transfers felt like a mess by the end. Signing Abrahamat on deadline day felt like a mess. We were linked all summer; did we really want him and mess up negotiations or was he a sticking plaster when they realised it was going south. We started the window spending a lot of money quickly, getting the managers identified targets for better or for worse, then we just seemed to stall. Until deadline day when we made typical man utd kneejerks. Was the owner situation more resolved at the start of summer than now? Why did whoever stop authorising signings.

The signings themselves are questionable too. Onana was needed and goalkeepers are always a gamble so that one is fine, but Mount does not give the midfield balance, and Hjolund is completely unproven.

On the team side, I'm unconvinced that Bruno can be afforded in a team with Rashford in it. I'm unconvinced that our midfield will have balance, and I'm quite sure that we don't have enough goals unless Hjolund is a revelation. Martial should be nowhere near the team. We've also built a physically small team (by the managers design?) when even playing fifa you know you need a couple of big lads. Every part of the team has question marks over it now.

And tactically, I'm not even sure what we're trying to do any more, other than break attacks and transition fast (aka get the ball to Rashford and hope for magic).

I don't feel the squad is in a happy place. But perhaps just pessimism. I'm not ETH out yet, I'm not sure how much of this is on the owners. But it's concerning me.

When that happens, it means I am done with the club. Not because I am such an avid fan of ETH. But because it would confirm that the decision makers have absolutely no clue about squad development. Not that this would need a strong confirmation but in dubio pro reo - they brought in a manager who knows how to play a modern way, doesn't have to be the best of the best for me, but we need movement in the right direction. Bringing in another manager would mean, go for a different direction once again.

Absolutely insane the jerk reaction from so many fans after 4 games....after a season where we got 75 points and a cup....in a season where we were not expected to get top 4....in a season where the manager had to deal with Ronaldo, Maguire, Greenwood, the club being on sale....after 4 games there are actually fans questioning Ten Hag....when the club is actually in the middle of an insane defensive injury crisis...this is absolutely fascinating to me some of the negative takes on here.

Absolutely insane the jerk reaction from so many fans after 4 games....after a season where we got 75 points and a cup....in a season where we were not expected to get top 4....in a season where the manager had to deal with Ronaldo, Maguire, Greenwood, the club being on sale....after 4 games there are actually fans questioning Ten Hag....when the club is actually in the middle of an insane defensive injury crisis...this is absolutely fascinating to me some of the negative takes on here.
Let’s not forget playing mid week for 5-6 months straight and a winter World Cup. Hasn’t happened before and most likely will never happen again

Okay so he is beyond criticism?

Yeah the pessimism is definitely OTT. Madness that people are considering sacking him this early.

It's not been the rapid-fire start we've hoped, but again we also didn't plan the injury crisis this early on, nor did we expect the parasites to dither or perhaps pull out of the sale process.

I do think there's plenty to be optimistic about - a proper number 9, new signings being properly gelled and players coming back from injury, then I'm relatively optimistic about where we go. I'm by no means expecting a title charge, but I still think we have enough quality both in the squad and coaching team to have a good season.

Maybe let's take stock come the New Year.

What's fascinating to me is some of these shouts for him to be sacked go back to last season. :lol:

Because people are fecking tired of writing a huge post just so later on someone like you can ask the same fecking question. But yeah, keep thinking there is no style and we are just running around and having fun our there. It is your choice to stay ignorant.

No one has answered the question bar the same bullshit about "we improved in pressing and passing.. Etc". The best anyone posted regarding to this was a YouTube video that he didn't even bother to explain himself.

These are Ten Hag fans. They have no clue what style he has but they consider themselves so elitist that others can see it.

Because people are fecking tired of writing a huge post just so later on someone like you can ask the same fecking question. But yeah, keep thinking there is no style and we are just running around and having fun our there. It is your choice to stay ignorant.

Many of these same posters tried telling me that ETH was trying to implement possession football last season, when I said after a handful of games that he's setting us up as more of a counter/ transition team. Basically I think a lot of people are going off what he says or they've been told. Our tactics have been all over the place all season so it's fair to say there's no clear, defined style. And we still have a lot of the same issues as last season.

The continuous bringing up of last season to criticize the manager is just utter comedy. Talk about a cult :lol:

Many of these same posters tried telling me that ETH was trying to implement possession football last season, when I said after a handful of games that he's setting us up as more of a counter/ transition team. Basically I think a lot of people are going off what he says or they've been told. Our tactics have been all over the place all season so it's fair to say there's no clear, defined style. And we still have a lot of the same issues as last season.

We had no CF last season and we had none for most of this bar 30 minutes.
We also lost Eriksen last season who was a key player for us which is when our play faltered.

We also had to balance playing style with results.

Status
Not open for further replies.