Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He joined in October 2015, and managed them for almost the entire 15-16 season. So while second "full" season may be technically correct, in reality it was his third season working with and developing that group of players when he reached the CL final, despite only finishing 4th in the league. It was in his 4th season that everything finally fell into place and he challenged while winning the CL.

I don't know, man. Sounds like mental gymnastics to preemptively squeeze out another year of justification for ETH not making meaningful progress on the pitch.

Plus I saw a lot of "xth full season" disclaimers bandied about on here when Ole was around. Seemed reasonable to say it like that, given that a manager needs to have an actual transfer window to put together any of the "building blocks" as you say.

sorry man, I beg to differ, I thought our defense is good. Our forwards are our worst part of the pitch. Since he came in, he had change the goalkeeper, 1 centre back, 1 left back. He settled on his centre back pair, and had Shaw playing well consistently.
Ok mate. Without wanting to go in any discussion we barley went without letting one in against Wolves and we let in 7 in 3 games after that. We were 0 2 down in no time against Forest and conceded an exualiser within 40 seconds yesterday. Hardly the fault of Rashford/Antony/Martial. And this is not my opinion but a fact.

Y'all are absolutely ridiculous.

EtH is the best manager we have had since Fergie left. Is he the RIGHT manager to get us back to the very top? Only time will tell. This is a project - we have a lot of young players, and need at least one more summer to get the squad into an acceptable state.

No problem with him as manager, what I do have a problem with is our DoF seemingly unable to identify players without Ten Hag.

Marc Overmars was the talent finder at Ajax, Ajax fans said as much when we signed Ten Hag, he's a poor judge of talent and it's been evident in his year here so far.

Murtough needs to get his head from out of Ten Hags rectum and start doing his job properly, maybe using scouts would help.

EtH is the best manager we have had since Fergie left. Is he the RIGHT manager to get us back to the very top? Only time will tell. This is a project - we have a lot of young players, and need at least one more summer to get the squad into an acceptable state.
Out of curiosity, what makes him factually the best manager we've had since Ferguson?

That's a stunningly low bar and shows what we've come to.

I'm fine with this being a rebuilding project. I'm used to it now. In fact, at the moment, I don't even care about getting back to the *very* top. I'd be delighted to finish within 5 points of City for a couple of seasons. Just please give them an actual scare in the title race in the latter part of the season.

And what does "at least" one more summer mean? Is it one? Or are you okay with five?

No problem with him as manager, what I do have a problem with is our DoF seemingly unable to identify players without Ten Hag.

Marc Overmars was the talent finder at Ajax, Ajax fans said as much when we signed Ten Hag, he's a poor judge of talent and it's been evident in his year here so far.

Murtough needs to get his head from out of Ten Hags rectum and start doing his job properly, maybe using scouts would help.
Agree with this. The thing is, clubs will always hold us to ransom because we are Man United. So whether you go for a winger from Ajax in Antony, or a winger from Italy/Germany/France, we will be paying close to the 100m mark. I don't really blame ETH - he was asked his opinion so he will obviously pick a player he knows or trusts. His job has been to manage and coach players, he doesn't have the same time or skill as professional scouts when it comes to identifying talent.

If anything, ETH should recommend that he wants a player like Antony, and the DOF with the scouts should identify the best available player in the market that we can afford which matches that skillset. That should be the extent of his input.

If you have any fricking idea about how to play football and how to set up football teams - watch MOTD2 as part of our Game analysis vs Arsenal. And if you are still thick about the manager after it, just go log out - football isn't for you.

I have not questioned EtH so far, and not planning on doing that in the near future. What has been said enough times, of course, is how he needs help in recruitment. I was so impressed by our performance away to Arsenal, and if it were the Chelsea version of Jose, it would be a 'masterclass'.

I would have revised the title of the thread to “Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager - Sack Watch”

He’s walking a bit of a tightrope at the moment. The performances and results need to massively improve. If not then he could be under a lot of pressure come Christmas time.

He’s walking a bit of a tightrope at the moment. The performances and results need to massively improve. If not then he could be under a lot of pressure come Christmas time.

I think this is all being blown out of proportion but its not exactly surprising given the club and its fanbase
By Christmas we'll be comfortably beating most sides and comfortable in the league, however it will be obvious we are behind Arsenal, City and likely Liverpool as expected after the summer.

That's a stunningly low bar and shows what we've come to.

I'm fine with this being a rebuilding project. I'm used to it now. In fact, at the moment, I don't even care about getting back to the *very* top. I'd be delighted to finish within 5 points of City for a couple of seasons. Just please give them an actual scare in the title race in the latter part of the season.

And what does "at least" one more summer mean? Is it one? Or are you okay with five?

It means a realistic assessment of the mistakes that have got us into the situation we are in and the time it will take to fix it. We need to spend, and spend correctly. We have thrown away more than a billion on terrible transfers that should not have been made. Worse, some of those are on absurdly high contracts, which makes correcting those mistakes that much harder.

Until we can clear out the squad and replace those expenditures with players that deserve to be at this club, EtH cannot take this club to the very top.

We have made decent progress - over the last 2 summers we've got rid of Pereira, Pogba, Lingered, Matic, Cavani, Mata, Ronaldo, Telles, Henderson, Fred, Elanga. There is more work to be done and further additions to the squad needed, but we are hamstrung by our FFP position due to the absolute disaster of Woodward's reign.

In spite of that, I think we have made progress. Our football has become better. We don't show it in every game, but there is a fluidity to our game that didn't exist under Ole. Player management has become better, compared to the days of Ole where every player was his mate and all were promised first-team minutes, which led to a hostile squad atmosphere. And lastly, the profile of players we have brought in is mostly good. Young, energetic players that will have resale value even if the transfer doesn't work out. With the obvious exception of Casemiro, of course.

I don't know, man. Sounds like mental gymnastics to preemptively squeeze out another year of justification for ETH not making meaningful progress on the pitch.

Plus I saw a lot of "xth full season" disclaimers bandied about on here when Ole was around. Seemed reasonable to say it like that, given that a manager needs to have an actual transfer window to put together any of the "building blocks" as you say.

Transfer windows are not the only thing that goes into building a club's culture. Training, tactics, mindset - if ETH had an additional 10 months to get these things in place (not far off double the time he's had), I'd expect more progress. Its totally fair to say that not being able to buy players impacted Klopp, which is why no-one reads too much into only finishing 6th in his first season. But that doesn't mean that he wasn't developing that team.

Worth remembering too that in that third season where Liverpool lost in the CL final (17-18), they started out with just 3 wins from their first 9 league games and were sat in 9th place in late October. The path doesn't always run smoothly.

I see the comparisons to Klopp are still going strong. As if the failings of the previous regime didn't teach people a single thing. Completely different pathways. When you understand the difference between taking slow and sometimes painful, yet gradual, steps forward and sacrificing half of your principles to yield satisfactory midterm results, you'll see why.

Great first season, wins a tropy, qualifies for Europe. Looks the answer to our managerial search. Quesntionable second window and poor start, earl signs of problems with certain players.......sound familiar as this is pretty much the same story with both Mourinho and Ole and we know how those two second seasons ended.

See a turning of tide and a few already starting to roundo Ten Hag. Have to confess I knew very little about him before he arrived but all the internet tactical and stat quoting modern football analysis experts on here seemed to rave about him and he goa lauded and super hyped after a first season that was good but not really different to the former twos first seasons.....also both finished higher and both also in a season where big clubs like CHelsea and Liverpool had stinkers of seasons.

Persoanlly I am still hopeful of Ten Hag, but also not fully convinced. I think he has done well so far but got far too much credit this early on. I havent yet seen tactical genius and personally also not impressed by the recruitment which I think will see a fair few players added to the out list with a season or two, think there are only two top top signings he has made so far.

He has definately made mistakes and I dont like the public criticising of Sancho.

What I have been impressed with is the clear vision, belief in what he is doing and single minded approach and control of the side....not the tactical side. But we have seen that can all come crashing down quite quickly, a fair few toxic players have moved on but there are still a few who have let down previous managers here.

It is a huge season for Ten Hag and I feel the recruitment has been far from ideal to enable him progression this season and part of that for me is down to the choices he has made within it, a season finishing in the top four is definately success this season, not sure its one of progression though and not at all confident we achieve it, really think he could be in trouble by the end of it

Transfer windows are not the only thing that goes into building a club's culture. Training, tactics, mindset - if ETH had an additional 10 months to get these things in place (not far off double the time he's had), I'd expect more progress. Its totally fair to say that not being able to buy players impacted Klopp, which is why no-one reads too much into only finishing 6th in his first season. But that doesn't mean that he wasn't developing that team.

Worth remembering too that in that third season where Liverpool lost in the CL final (17-18), they started out with just 3 wins from their first 9 league games and were sat in 9th place in late October. The path doesn't always run smoothly.

Exactly this progress is not linear, you don't just go from 6th to 1st in a year or 2, look at how much squad transition there has been we have sold or released so many players in the last 12 months and you could argue for that number to be bigger as well for players either refusing to leave or no one interested them

Great first season, wins a tropy, qualifies for Europe. Looks the answer to our managerial search. Quesntionable second window and poor start, earl signs of problems with certain players.......sound familiar as this is pretty much the same story with both Mourinho and Ole and we know how those two second seasons ended.

See a turning of tide and a few already starting to roundo Ten Hag. Have to confess I knew very little about him before he arrived but all the internet tactical and stat quoting modern football analysis experts on here seemed to rave about him and he goa lauded and super hyped after a first season that was good but not really different to the former twos first seasons.....also both finished higher and both also in a season where big clubs like CHelsea and Liverpool had stinkers of seasons.

Persoanlly I am still hopeful of Ten Hag, but also not fully convinced. I think he has done well so far but got far too much credit this early on. I havent yet seen tactical genius and personally also not impressed by the recruitment which I think will see a fair few players added to the out list with a season or two, think there are only two top top signings he has made so far.

He has definately made mistakes and I dont like the public criticising of Sancho.

What I have been impressed with is the clear vision, belief in what he is doing and single minded approach and control of the side....not the tactical side. But we have seen that can all come crashing down quite quickly, a fair few toxic players have moved on but there are still a few who have let down previous managers here.

It is a huge season for Ten Hag and I feel the recruitment has been far from ideal to enable him progression this season and part of that for me is down to the choices he has made within it, a season finishing in the top four is definately success this season, not sure its one of progression though and not at all confident we achieve it, really think he could be in trouble by the end of it
What is the clear vision? I am genuinely lost and dont see it. If we dont to dominate possession we dont seem to have the players. Its fine to focus on transitions, City and Liverpool do that well, but they can also keep the ball and hurt teams with patient build ups. Yes our recruitment strategy is poor but many journalists are flagging our bizarre and unprecedented reliance on the manger to drive signings and in turn for him to be narrowly focused on players from Dutch league. That to me is most concerning and why I fear he is goign to fail. And yet again we will end up with a lot of overpriced, overpaid dead wood. Would love to be proved wrong but not seeing it.

Thing is that United have for the first time got into a situation where there isnt an easy solution if this doesn’t work out. We are past the stage of having insane money to give to a new manager for a rebuild. If ETH fails then we are actually fecked for a while. The good thing is that I think that he is heading in the right direction for me and with everyone fit we should be competing for Europe. We are nowhere near a title challenge though but I don’t think that the club expects that either at this stage.

Has no clue what it takes to win in this league.

While Jose was a bit OTT he always had a team with the necessary height to not only defend set pieces and aerial balls but to attack them and score from them too. Even Pep knows this despite all the technical players his City team have been strong in both boxes. Liverpool have also dominated in this area in recent years

Look at the starting lineup yesterday, other than Dalot and Casemiro that was a joke of a team aerially. Once Varane is out, I honestly feel like we can concede anytime a good ball is put in our box.

It’s so bad especially in midfield. If Casemiro is out and we have to play Amrabat Mount and Eriksen we will be in serious trouble with aerial balls. I suppose signing Hojlund helps as he’s a big lad but that’s not enough.

This feeds into the physicality of the team. Being good on the ball is all well and good but strength and pace are absolutely needed to win the PL and EtH has no clue about this it seems. Just look at City’s signings this summer, Gvardiol, Nunes, Kovacic and Doku, that is a team and manager who understands the physical demands of this league.

Ten hag’s signings for the most part have been physically unimpressive just like our team.

While Jose was a bit OTT he always had a team with the necessary height to not only defend set pieces and aerial balls but to attack them and score from them too. Even Pep knows this despite all the technical players his City team have been strong in both boxes. Liverpool have also dominated in this area in recent years

Look at the starting lineup yesterday, other than Dalot and Casemiro that was a joke of a team aerially. Once Varane is out, I honestly feel like we can concede anytime a good ball is put in our box.

It’s so bad especially in midfield. If Casemiro is out and we have to play Amrabat Mount and Eriksen we will be in serious trouble with aerial balls. I suppose signing Hojlund helps as he’s a big lad but that’s not enough.

This feeds into the physicality of the team. Being good on the ball is all well and good but strength and pace are absolutely needed to win the PL and EtH has no clue about this it seems. Just look at City’s signings this summer, Gvardiol, Nunes, Kovacic and Doku, that is a team and manager who understands the physical demands of this league.

Ten hag’s signings for the most part have been physically unimpressive just like our team.

Yeah if you go and make the team small at least try to balance it out with a keeper who is dominant in the box. There has to be recognition that we have made the team small. I think it's part of the reason why he has held on to McTominay.

I think if you focused on the performances you'd be able to answer the question yourself and not ask stupid questions.

Yesterday was a good performance and we almost nabbed all 3 points with Maguire + Evans at CB. First half to Spurs we should have been 2 or 3 up. I'm not going to blame Ten Hag for our players being unable to put away simple chances or for big injuries.
Ah, right. performances are more important than results. I get it now. That’s like saying the Titanic had a good orchestra. Come into the real world - you don’t get points for performances or “could have”.

I'm still waiting for this exciting, high-pressing football we were promised

Thing is that United have for the first time got into a situation where there isnt an easy solution if this doesn’t work out. We are past the stage of having insane money to give to a new manager for a rebuild. If ETH fails then we are actually fecked for a while. The good thing is that I think that he is heading in the right direction for me and with everyone fit we should be competing for Europe. We are nowhere near a title challenge though but I don’t think that the club expects that either at this stage.

The club might not. But online cry baby fans do.

I agree with the rest, this takes time, it's a 2-3 year building process at least to raise the squad depth and raise the technical levels in the squad to the required standard.

People look at the likes of Spurs and Wolves think the manager is doing a great job, look how much he's done in such a short space of time, much better than ETH. But both could have a few bad games and be gone by January.

Yep. It's a team that is so obviously easily bullied, the weakest physically in the league. We can get away with it with it when teams stand of us a bit at home but it's a big part of why EVERY away game is a huge struggle for us.

Ah, right. performances are more important than results. I get it now. That’s like saying the Titanic had a good orchestra. Come into the real world - you don’t get points for performances or “could have”.
At this early in the season yes. We are doing OK calm yourself.

At this early in the season yes. We are doing OK calm yourself.
Struggled to beat Wolves at home. Struggled to beat Forest at home. Lost 2-0 away to Spurs. Lost 3-1 away to Arsenal.

And you call that “ok”? I’d hate to see what it would look like if we weren’t “ok”.

Results that come in the form of stealing wins is not sustainable over a longer period. Just look at the Ole era for that.

Over a longer period good performances will result in more points than short term results.

Manchester United isnt going to win the title this season. No chance. Good performances, top 4 and a good showing in the cups will be a fairly good season and something to build upon so a title might be a possibility later down the line.

Struggled to beat Wolves at home. Struggled to beat Forest at home. Lost 2-0 away to Spurs. Lost 3-1 away to Arsenal.

And you call that “ok”? I’d hate to see what it would look like if we weren’t “ok”.
We completely dominated Forrest from 5-85 mins and we should have been a couple up vs Spurs. We played a good game at the Emirates yesterday too.

Focusing on results alone in GW4 is just daft to be honest. You'd think fans would learn from last year at the same stage but hilariously not.

Yeah if you go and make the team small at least try to balance it out with a keeper who is dominant in the box. There has to be recognition that we have made the team small. I think it's part of the reason why he has held on to McTominay.
It’s crazy isn’t it, if you go back to the team Ole had in his final season and how it’s changed.

Let’s look at how he’s replaced players in the team

Maguire - Martinez
Matic - Casemiro
Telles - Malacia
Pogba - Eriksen
Fred - Mount
Mctominay - Amrabat
Greenwood - Antony
Ronaldo - Hojlund

We’re pretty much smaller in every position. Although Maguire and Mctominay are still here their minutes are pretty much nonexistent in the PL if we have a fully fit squad.

If that's correct he'll never achieve anything significant here, or at the very top level of management. The best managers may well work with Directors of Football but do you think Pep, or Klopp have players foisted on them that they don't rate or can't identify how they fit into a system? They'll be heavily involved in identifying talent.

The owners of this club are parasites and "trying" to sell up.

Our managerial choices since Fergie have been terrible.

Our transfer dealings since Moyes has been abysmal

Our retention of players who have no value to us any longer has been abysmal

The mentality of our squad is terrible

Imagine being ETH. Imagine having clear defined ideas about style of play, workrate, application, technical ability. Imagine being ETH, who is known for attention to detail, demanding the best of his squad. Imagine being that driven, have that much knowledge to apply to a group of players and being given our squad.

Imagine for unbelievably frustrating that is for him. Will he ultimately succeed? I've always said until we change owners, and drastically change the mindset and whole background running of the club, to some degree the manager is always fighting a losing battle.

ETH has made a lot of signings, granted. Has he made all the signing he wanted? Christ no. Is he still working with players who were around 2/3 managers ago? Absolutely.

If ETH has a blank canvas - would he even consider 75% of our squad for a fresh rebuild? Absolutely not!

ETH is either gunna be run into the ground with dire performances from players who have no interest in his methods and quit or the board are gunna sack him due to these dire performances.

The way we play is not sustainable. The mentality of player in our squad is rotten. Even our captain, our leader gives off the complete wrong impression. He's just a whinger when it doesn't go his way. Berating others when his own performances stink. That's not a captain, that's a bully.

Our "better" players are the worst. Rashford is either 1/10 or 8/10. No consistency. Varane and Martinez cannot see out games. Casemiro is leggy and over worked. Our wide players just do not get on the ball enough.

We are a shambles, but it's far from the managers fault. He's doing what he can with the tools at his disposal. The tools are all broken

The club might not. But online cry baby fans do.

I agree with the rest, this takes time, it's a 2-3 year building process at least to raise the squad depth and raise the technical levels in the squad to the required standard.

People look at the likes of Spurs and Wolves think the manager is doing a great job, look how much he's done in such a short space of time, much better than ETH. But both could have a few bad games and be gone by January.

Whilst all of that is correct - fans are (in my view) rightly starting to question whether the manager has the ability to do that given his recruitment.

The recruitment problem goes well above the manager but he's spent a budget sizeable enough to limit us on FFP this season, on players he wanted. Are we that much better for it? I look at spending £90 million on Antony and £60 million on Mount and question that, especially when we're heavily reliant on two centre-backs, one of which is regularly injured.

The biggest disappointment for me is a lack of a defined style of play. Looks very much like what we've had in the past for long periods.

I think this is all being blown out of proportion but its not exactly surprising given the club and its fanbase
By Christmas we'll be comfortably beating most sides and comfortable in the league, however it will be obvious we are behind Arsenal, City and likely Liverpool as expected after the summer.

Most fans would accept that, assuming there's some progress and improvement. The problem will be if we're w behind those three and two or three others.

I like ETH, a lot, he has brought a sense of authority and organisation, which we desperately needed last season following the OGS disaster. Two finals, one trophy and a third place finish was outstanding considering what he had to take over, so he deserves a lot, a lot of time and support.
He inherited a bloated squad with many average players; an awfully amateur executive culture with crazy contracts granted to players (which is causing a lot of problems...) But he needs to be careful, I worry about the signing of Antony because that highlights his thoughts on what he looks for in a player, and that is a big red flag, which he has to deal with. I am also unclear as to how he wants his team to play.. transitional is not a style, every team plays on the break. How do we play at home? How do we create chances?

And is he willing to admit (not neccesarily to us or the press..) if he gets something wrong, and is willing to address it?

Those are my questions. We need another window, January will be interesting and I do hope that we are already looking at that, getting rid of some of these t*******s who are still, albeit occasionally, wearing the shirt.

Our biggest issue is our attacking threat..Rasmus coming in, even as a physical energy point will be great (look at his role in Garnacho's disallowed goal...)... this will help Rashford, and the midfielders, massively. But ETH has to address the right side of the pitch, because AWB and Antony cause us more problems as a team. They are both erractic, unreliable and do not provide a threat. Teams are not worried and this creates pressure for other players. ETH needs to try and resolve that problem, because just playing AWB and Antony is not going to change anything. They are limited in their abilities as players.

Hit the nail on the head, I personally feel Murtough has made more bad decisions than good ones. In order for this current management to raise a level he will eventually have to leave.

ETH is undoubtedly a good manager and I reckon the club would regret sacking him even in the event of a poor season. He would thrive in another club where the hierarchy has more competence. The problem for any manager at United is that they automatically become a hybrid; director of football minimalist, first team manager and coach. Too much responsibility squeezed into one role. The club is still functioning under a Sir Alex like model even with all the structural changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.