Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for admitting to my point that you indeed are not the brightest and have little ball knowledge. Now you have in fact saved my time and efforts.

Hopefully that will be the last time you quote someone with little knowledge like me and save your arguments for people with high IQ standards here, like the Ten Hag fans for example.

He protected Sancho last season even gave him 3 months off during the season and always spoke well about him. He obviously chosen to take a different approach with him.

Last season he called out Rashford when he was not selected because he was late for training
You want progress when we have to call on Maguire and Evans to see out the game?

From 6th last season he came 3rd and won a trophy. Bit early to write him off lets see how we do this season.
Whose fault was it to bring Evans back and wasted the budget on players like Mount, Antony? We've not progressed, we've regressed. There's zero style of play and we still rely on individual moments rather than actual team play. That trophy is a mickey mouse trophy most fans don't see as important unless it's to defend ETH. Top 4 is bare minimum for this club. I'm sorry, but there's no excuses.

Quite a few have been saying it since preseason with everything that’s gone on and others have been coming up with excuses to cover the mess, right up until last week it was the “it’s only been 3 games!” argument. Soon it will be the players or the Glazers or whatever other excuse but the fact of the matter is we’re looking worse and we’re spending daft money to do so.
It's the same routine for every manager for the past decade. Some folk on here would've been stood on the tip of the titanic as it was sinking saying it'll all be fine and calling everyone idiots for panicking

Vague nonsense, I have enough knowledge to know we played like shit. You are simply deluding yourself to absolve ETH of everything.

We didn’t play well at all. United lacked control in this game. We had moments but there wasn’t any period of time United had them defending with their lives.

Rashford had few opportunities to play the perfect pass inwards but he ruined it trying to dribble 3 defenders at a time. Højlund gave us a bit of a target man when he came on, he was refreshing but it was a little bit too late.

Ten Hag’s philosophy in big away games is worrying and equally questionable. He does not have the tactical nous or the game intelligence to win these games. Having Bruno/Eriksen together away from home is a recipe for disaster. They are useless defensively.

Was it for Ole and Jose? If Liverpool and Chelsea didn’t have a nightmare last season do we even get top 4?

This has been answered a few times. The answer is yes. No team that has gotten that number of points as us has missed out on top 4.

You want progress when we have to call on Maguire and Evans to see out the game?

From 6th last season he came 3rd and won a trophy. Bit early to write him off lets see how we do this season.
In a season when Liverpool and Chelsea had awful seasons, newcastle almost bottling it, and we still nearly finished outside the top 4...yeah. Ole also finished 3rd, but even then people wanted him out.

Was it for Ole and Jose? If Liverpool and Chelsea didn’t have a nightmare last season do we even get top 4?

Ole didn't win a trophy. And you can't use hypotheticals to deny progress. I could say "if Arsenal and City didn't have worldie seasons we could've won the league"

No. Absolute weapon of a post. Until the structure at the top and the ownership model actually have the ambition and resources to win things whoever the manager is will need to perform an incredible job to win the league. That’s the simple reality. He inherited an average squad that was miles off the teams ahead of us and hasn’t been given significant amounts more than those teams despite the narrative.

ETH took over a team that finished 6th - it was:

11 points behind Arsenal
13 points behind Tottenham
16 points behind Chelsea
34 points behind Liverpool
35 points behind Manchester City

Pogba, Matic, Mata and Greenwood also got removed from that squad for various reasons for free. De Gea and Ronaldo have also since left for free.

So to close that deficit he has spent £380m. Sounds like feck loads doesn’t it? What a failure he is not having us ready to compete 13 months later. Except those 5 teams have also spent:

Arsenal - £370m (he’s had a whopping 10m more to close an 11 point gap)
Spurs - £280m (had a fair bit more here - then again there was a 38 point swing last year so…)
Liverpool - £265m (100m more - but just the 42 point swing last year)
Manchester City - £340m plus whatever bonuses they gave to Haaland senior (whopping 40m more to close that 35 point gap)
Chelsea - 1bn…maybe now you get the idea…

The issue is half you people have the memory of a goldfish and ignore context. Like today - when we’re missing 5 defenders away at the emirates, have no senior midfielders on the bench and have martial as our starting striker…in that context today was a good performance. Finishing 3rd last year in the context of where we were and what needed doing was a fantastic effort. It would also be this season.
100% agree.

No point he says ok. The manager doesn’t want to play Maguire. For good reason, therefore we should have singed on. Also would have put pressure on Maguire to leave

other than threaten him, there is no way to made him to leave.

can try throwing him into the reserve or youth team.

This might be a bit of a radical thought but if you wanted to see out a game and you had to bring on Maguire and Evans, wouldn’t you change the formation or the style of play to make sure you could see out the game or would you throw them on and carry on playing the way you were?
He already changed the style.

In a season when Liverpool and Chelsea had awful seasons, newcastle almost bottling it, and we still nearly finished outside the top 4...yeah. Ole also finished 3rd, but even then people wanted him out.

Brother, go find me a premier league season when a team gets 75 points and doesn't get top 4

:lol: :lol: :lol: What a joke comment. Typical of the modern fan. We had a bad result, even though we actually played well? Sack the coach - next shiny toy please.
It's not one bad result, we've been playing like shit since the cup final. The players have gone i to the season unprepared and unfit playing crap football and suicidal tactics. This is all on ETH.

Some people on here are as thick as two short planks. Absolutely zero ability to think criticially whatsoever. None.
Moaning about ten Hag saying that Martial played "Very well"......... Think about what question he was asked to answer. Please, for the love of God, just use your neurons?

The Martial comment was made right on the back of the question, "Did Hojlund change the game when he came on?". It's quite obvious that ten Hag couldn't have just said that Hojlund was a lot better than Martial was, so, ten Hag praised Hojlund and then gave Martial credit too so as to not draw criticisms when comparing them both.

He's protecting Martial, which is fine. A manager does that. If he has a problem with the performance of the individual it'll happen in the changing room.

Go and look at top 4 finishes from over the years and find me a team that got as many points as

Brother, go find me a premier league season when a team gets 75 points and doesn't get top 4
Who cares about 75 points? It was netter than Ole, wow. Not as good Arsenal or City. Not even better than Jose.

Incompetent management is the only reason any manager would go to the Emirates with a triumvirate of Eriksen, Bruno and Casemiro. You can’t play that openly against a top side in the Premier League and not get punished.
Ah yeah, incompetence, not injuries, right?

People didn’t want ETH out. Wonder why.

:lol: :lol: :lol: What a joke comment. Typical of the modern fan. We had a bad result, even though we actually played well? Sack the coach - next shiny toy please.
Geez, you'd think we played like Klopps Liverpool and lost 5-4

We got 75 points. When did 75 points not finish top 4? Plus you could add that if it was in doubt, we'd have prioritized it more and put less focus on cups. As it is, we were fine in the league so were able to push more for cups.

Dumb fecking argument.

I can not stress this enough.
If you’re even contemplating sacking Ten Hag you don’t understand football.
Everything I have seen so far suggest that we will struggle to finish top 5 this season. Still early days but I see absolutely no progress since last season expect for Höjlund's promising cameo today. Casemiro is in rapid decline and Antony is very limited in the final 3rd. Of course ETH will not be sacked soon but I doubt he will survive missing out on CL.

Edit: watched Brighton yesterday and they are on another level. De Zerbi seems good...

I hate when people say stuff like sack him etc because it derails the thread completely. There are aspects about today which it would be nice to discuss but now the whole conversation will be about how silly it is to talk about sacking him

Who cares about 75 points? It was netter than Ole, wow. Not as good Arsenal or City. Not even better than Jose.

It negates your point of Chelsea and Liverpools terrible season effecting our top 4 finish.

I think a lot of us forget the mess that Ole left us in.

Incompetent management is the only reason any manager would go to the Emirates with a triumvirate of Eriksen, Bruno and Casemiro. You can’t play that openly against a top side in the Premier League and not get punished.

We were so open Arsenal had 1 shot on target in the first half and didn’t create much else up until the 80th minute of the game

We’ve been shit since Feb. I’m very worried for him.
Yes he needs a board that cane give him DOF and players that are competent and can cut it in todays top football field and fight for the Premier League & Champions League titles every season.

Signing a CB would have put pressure on him
Don't have money to sign a CB to replace somebody who refused to leave.

Ten Hag made Maguire 5th choice CB. And stripped him of captaincy. And accepted west hams bid. That's about all you can do.

It negates your point of Chelsea and Liverpools terrible season effecting our top 4 finish.

I think a lot of us forget the mess that Ole left us in.
How does two big teams having stinkers not affect our position? Even then, Liverpool recovered and got close to beating us to top 4.

Sancho sucks and deserves to leave, but what about his 90m wonder boy Antony who stinks the place every game and yet never be blamed or dropped from starting line up ?
He has called out Antony and he has been dropped for Bruno at RW more than once

Don't have money to sign a CB to replace somebody who refused to leave.

Ten Hag made Maguire 5th choice CB. And stripped him of captaincy. And accepted west hams bid. That's about all you can do.
Could have signed one on loan, could have signed Bella Kachop for 8m from Southampton. The club needed to help the manager here.

No manager should be guaranteed a time unless he's performing and improving every season. Beside, what vision ? I see no improvement regarding the team's style of play, passing, pressing or whatever. We still play the same awful football we have been playing since, I swear, Moyes days. Nothing is changing.
The season is 4 games in

Status
Not open for further replies.