Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much wrong with the performance today, you can’t go away to Arsenal and expect to dominate a game unless you are Man City. Fine margins, we could have as well won the game.

I don’t like his post game comments on referee’s work though. Focus on your team and iron out what led to this loss, which wasn’t referee’s errors.

What led to the loss was fine margins influenced by refs. The improvements from today will be easy fixes and more impactful because the opponent won't be as good and the adjustments will be clearer.

United played well today away from home down a few key starters against the 2nd best team from last year. Then proceeded to see their starting CBs get subbed off.

Good stuff from ten Hag here. Set the standards. Players not pulling their weight and trying in training deserve to be dropped.

Don't like players being criticised in public by the manager. Disappointed to see this. Keep it behind closed doors.

Not saying he should be sacked right away, but unless we improve a lot we are NOT going to qualify for the CL and then what? City, Arsenal and Liverpool look certain to get top 4, and the way we are playing now we wont beat Spurs/Brighton/Newcastle either. Even fecking Moyes will beat us if we dont drastically improve

Hes been given a handsome amount to spend already and the team on paper is far better than we had 2-3 years ago, but i dont really see the imporvements on the pitch. Our pressing is still woeful and we still look as clueless in posession as ever despite having a CM pairing with far more techincal ability than we had then.

I really hope manages to turn it around and get us back to the top, but based on this start its not looking good. Its not even the results, the dreadful displays are whats concering

What led to the loss was fine margins influenced by refs. The improvements from today will be easy fixes and more impactful because the opponent won't be as good and the adjustments will be clearer.

United played well today away from home down a few key starters against the 2nd best team from last year. Then proceeded to see their starting CBs get subbed off.
It was an offside though, marginal but we would have been furious if that goal stood against us. Also, a foul on Evans would have been soft here and they usually don’t get called.

Majority of the fans?! Our club has such a standard nowadays. Speechless.
United fans rarely blame manager for the failures, we’ve been rather patient with Ole and so even when we knew he’s not up to the standard required. I think he’s safe from the pressure even if our dire away form continues and his signings continue to have little impact.

Thinks Martial had 'a very good performance'....

Probably serious as well. What the feck is wrong with everyone at that club.
Totally he should had gone out and said that Martial is shit, criticize a player who's on low morale. Thats what a true manager would do.

This I don’t see or agree with. We don’t play like a troubled or toxic group.

The manager has made comments of players not following instructions, we’re seeing Sancho being dropped presumably because of his attitude in training and in all honesty the first 4 games of the season have been an utter shit show.

Something isn’t right at the club I’m not seeing a happy squad compared to last season

It was an offside though, marginal but we would have been furious if that goal stood against us. Also, a foul on Evans would have been soft here and they usually don’t get called.

It was a "soft" foul last year against Eriksen when he got dispossessed against Arsenal.

You just said offside is offside but then a foul isn't a foul.

No way Qatar are going to endure 5 years of this shit.

If they get charge of United before this year ends, I expect him to be sacked comes the end of the season, if the best this team achieved is another top 4 (which is very doubtful, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool and City look miles better than us).

Unlike many of our fans who like the manager even while being shit because he looks cool, Qatar won't endure mediocrity.

There isn't going to be a takeover, so it doesn't really matter. Sacking him will just result in yet another rebuild with the next manager. Might as well just stick with his vision and see what happens. At least for 3 seasons.

We played well. Not his fault we had to sub in fecking Evans and that Martial is literally useless now.

How does he compare to our other recent managers away from home?

He’s one of the worst managers we have had. His home games are close to perfection but the away games are bordering on naivety.

If he was playing Dagenham & Redbridge at Old Trafford, he would have set up exactly the same way.

Ten Hag has no respect for his opponents and this is why he’s not won any away game against the top 9 teams last season……and he’s already lost 2 games against the top sides this season.

Incompetent management is the only reason any manager would go to the Emirates with a triumvirate of Eriksen, Bruno and Casemiro. You can’t play that openly against a top side in the Premier League and not get punished.

Ten Hag needs to be told he’s no longer in Eredivisie.

Had to suffer watching the game with my Arsenal supporting father in law and I tried to hold off on this so I could post a reasonable comment.
After today I'm extremely worried about our prospects of finishing top 4 never mind winning a trophy. We were set up like a team fighting relegation, we conceded possession and played on the counter attack but the obvious problem is we had Martial up front and he was as useless as you'd expect him to be and our inability to actually hold on to the ball for any period of time was pretty alarming considering all the big money signings we had on the pitch.
We've played 4 league games, lost 2 and won 2 which we were quite frankly very fortunate to win.
Ten Haag has had a huge say in the signings we've made and as yet his success rate is more miss that hit, eg, Antony has to be the poorest 80+ millon player that I've ever seen and his level is nowhere near good enough for the EPL, it really does prove how poor the Dutch league is.
To say it's been an underwhelming start to the season is an understatement but I fear it's not getting better anytime soon.

There isn't going to be a takeover, so it doesn't really matter. Sacking him will just result in yet another rebuild with the next manager. Might as well just stick with his vision and see what happens. At least for 3 seasons.

No manager should be guaranteed a time unless he's performing and improving every season. Beside, what vision ? I see no improvement regarding the team's style of play, passing, pressing or whatever. We still play the same awful football we have been playing since, I swear, Moyes days. Nothing is changing.

He’s one of the worst managers we have had. His home games are close to perfection but the away games are bordering on naivety.

If he was playing Dagenham & Redbridge at Old Trafford, he would have set up exactly the same way.

Ten Hag has no respect for his opponents and this is why he’s not won any away game against the top 9 teams last season……and he’s already lost 2 games against the top sides this season.

Incompetent management is the only reason any manager would go to the Emirates with a triumvirate of Eriksen, Bruno and Casemiro. You can’t play that openly against a top side in the Premier League and not get punished.

We were very unlucky to be punished. We fell apart in the final minutes with Evans and Maguire as our CB. Garnacho isn’t a whisker off and then you’d be saying completely different things.

United fans rarely blame manager for the failures, we’ve been rather patient with Ole and so even when we knew he’s not up to the standard required. I think he’s safe from the pressure even if our dire away form continues and his signings continue to have little impact.
The narrative that ole is not up to the standard should die now. I think we are actually not patient with him enough!
The club structure is the real issue and we are still suffering. It seems forever…

Arsenal had five at the back post on every corner. Not addressing that cost us at the end.

Ten Hag needs to change something now. We’re struggling to creating enough going forward and now that we have Hojlund, he should get more support. We should try and start playing two upfront. With that I would also stop with these inverted wingers and play Antony on the left.
Our fullbacks plays more central than our wingers, so why play with inverted ones that wants to go inside where it’s already packed?

Poch was great for Spurs and had them in the top 4 consistently for a very long time. The expectations at United should be beyond that, but it’s a symptom of where we are as a club that do little is expected.
Why? What advantage does ETH have over Chelsea, City, Arsenal and Liverpool that he should be expected to finish higher than all of them? Does he have better players? The best squad? More money to spend? Better recruitment structure? Better sporting environment? We did have more money than everyone but City. We spent the inheritance building a team that finished 6th full to the brim of players not good enough on such high wages we can’t sell them. Those days are now gone. The reality is finishing 3rd this season would be a very good job from him as it was last year.

In your expert opinion who could he play in midfield? Seeing how Amrabat and McTommy were both ruled out? I suppose next you’ll complain Evens and Harry finished the game and somehow it’s a poor selection by him :rolleyes:

It was an alright game we’ve been decimated with injuries. Attack looked all right with Rasmus in the lineup. Add in Amrabat and Mount we’re looking decent.
International break came at an opportune time, hopefully Martinez, Varane and Mount will be back.

I really think Ten Hag should try dropping Bruno. He was incredibly bad today.

Give Casemiro, Amrabat and Mount a go in maybe one of the cup games. Might work you never know.

Why? What advantage does ETH have over Chelsea, City, Arsenal and Liverpool that he should be expected to finish higher than all of them? Does he have better players? The best squad? More money to spend? Better recruitment structure? Better sporting environment? We did have more money than everyone but City. We spent the inheritance building a team that finished 6th full to the brim of players not good enough on such high wages we can’t sell them. Those days are now gone. The reality is finishing 3rd this season would be a very good job from him as it was last year.

This kind of mentality is why United will never become a top club again. It's the same mentality the board have anyway so United haven't taken a single step forward since Ferguson retired. Let's be content with barely finishing top 4 regularly because we're surrounded with other top clubs. Great way of thinking.

Feel the criticism is a bit harsh considering how many players we had out and the CB injuries during the game, thought on another day with a full strength squad the result would be different, the problem is we still have serious holes in our squad that make these losses a lot more impactful.

At this stage, I think the only way he is gonna be our manager next season is if Glazers do not sell to Qatar. Despite what a large part of our fanbase convinced themselves, he is just a not that good manager. Combined with his disastrous insistence of signing players he knows well, something that should have never been allowed in the first place, and you have a recipe for disaster.

If the Glazers stay, it makes sense to keep him considering that they already burned over 400m on him, and with the club having not much money left, they essentially have to pray to all Gods that this stupid experiment ends well. Of course, it won’t end well, giving blank checks to managers does not work in modern football and it is almost amusing how they have been doing this since LVG and then getting surprised we continue being shit.

Fair rebuttal, but there were bigger warning signs of poor performances within those that would grant people a right to moan. Today the goal was to improve on last season performance and not lose (in my opinion). We did one of those things, I am gutted we couldn't draw or even nab it.

Yep, although today I think the only reason we concede that last goal was because of the chuckle brothers CBs we had on. We did a good job otherwise, I thought anyway.
Yeah. And like... I'm not gonna sit here and blame Ten Hag for a loss away to Arsenal where we had those CBs out there as you say. That's not part of any plan, that's one guy refusing a transfer and an injury crisis forcing the other guy in.

We played well. Not his fault we had to sub in fecking Evans and that Martial is literally useless now.
We spent 55m on Mount instead of signing Amrabat and a CB?

Just what we need. Drama with him and Sancho for the international break.

When will be the first, "Ten Hag has lost the dressing room" story.

It was a "soft" foul last year against Eriksen when he got dispossessed against Arsenal.

You just said offside is offside but then a foul isn't a foul.
Fouls are certainly far more subjective than offsides are though, aren’t they?

Sancho sucks and deserves to leave, but what about his 90m wonder boy Antony who stinks the place every game and yet never be blamed or dropped from starting line up ?

There was no point signing a CB if we couldn’t offload Maguire. We already have 4 very expensive CBs.
No point he says ok. The manager doesn’t want to play Maguire. For good reason, therefore we should have singed on. Also would have put pressure on Maguire to leave

He's not good enough, when you set up a team to play this way you better not fecking lose, it's embarrassing, he's clueless, wasting our best players attributes he's playing to there weakness not there strengths and if there weaknesses don't suit his team he should of sold them and replaced them with players that work in it, looks like we've gone backwards now under him

There was no point signing a CB if we couldn’t offload Maguire. We already have 4 very expensive CBs.
Yeah, but one of them is crap, 2 are average and 1 is injured 1/4th of the time.

It is definitely a position we must improve. Signing Kim would have had much more influence than signing Mount, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.