Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh sorry has Ange done well away to Arsenal? What's he done? Beat Burnley? Congrats bud.

He has an obvious, clear playing style with much lesser resources.

He was able to use the players he had at his disposal to create something cohesive and he has them super fit!

There are no excuses for how unfit and disorganized we have looked after he has had time in the job. There is no disputing it

No he wont. He will be sacked.

At some point we will realise he isnt good enough and will need to restart. But restart the right way. Hiring another manager snd giving him full control in hope he will be Fergie 2.0 is BS. We can just as well keep ETH and fight for top 4 one year and finish 7th the next. If that is the goal, then keep him. Otherwise sack and do it properly for once. We have the resources, but are run by idiots across all levels.
Is that you hoping for it to happen or you expecting it to happen? (genuine question)

I don't think, he made any mistakes today. Due to injuries, the lineup was picking itself, then other injuries during the match. Away to Arsenal we were always going to sit back and try to counter. And this time, it almost worked out and brought us a result. For a few game per season, that approach is fine and make sense. As long as we are cooking something a little more elaborate as well. ETH is seemingly trying to implement a modern system (inverting FB and two very attacking mids), this was also always to take some time. We won't get anywhere with the team, when we aren't ready to accept a certain level of pain. For all the mistakes we made over the years, we won't just shortcut it to the top again.

Criticise the man if you want, he certainly isn't the 2nd coming some on here were depicting him. But he is the best we had in years. Getting rid has the huge risk of simply resetting everything AGAIN. There is nothing to be won on that front.

It's actually quite easy.

Play forward football.

That means two things in our case - never play Anthony Martial and never play Antony.

Go double wide with Garnacho - Bruno (Pellistri) and two forwards in Rashford and Hojlund.
Why not also add Sancho? Get every attacker on the field, then we must be attacking. Right?

We constantly look like a side who'll give away a soft goal. We concede far too much possession in the final third. Had Arsenal scored earlier we'd never have got back into the game.

The better side won. With the resources he's had we should be able to compete against Arsenal, not just rely on pieces of brilliance or a mistake to hit them on the break.

I don’t think the stats reflect that - perhaps more vulnerable in away games but certainly at home we’ve been very good. I think we’ve had injuries to key players at important times of the season and this has not helped. I think team defence has been affected by forwards that don’t work hard. I think the players he has bought have been progressed the squad but we are still left with deadwood. I think with Varane and Martinez, we wouldn’t have lost today.

I will keep posting this. Of his nine signings, 7 were at some point from Dutch league. 3 former Ajax players and 4 who played against him, including interestingly Mount who had a loan year at Vitesse and apparently played well against Ajax. Its Ole over again, where we sign players on the managers recommendation and scouting is ignored, perhaps even worse. Antony we can see is not good enough, lacks the basic attributes incliding a right foot. Weghorst was a disaster. Mount is not the player we needed and we still lack a mobile CM who can play alongside Casimero. We have missed out on McAllister, Rice and others, not least while obsessing over FDJ (another Ajax player) who clearly did not want to come here. While ETH works on his press any team that breaks through can motor through the middle of the park.
Because Pep, Klopp, Arteta, or Poch have no say in who they sign? And they let some mythical recruitment decide it for them? In what virtual world have you ever seen a top manager not influencing strongly who he wants?

I am sure EtH reviews what recruitement brings him, but then he buys who he likes and who dysfunctional club can afford. Nothing to see here - he is the manager.

And there’s no way to clean up almost a decade of transfer decisions made by a banker, and owners that would rather let contracts run out than take a loss. The lack of perspective in this thread is absolutely riot

Of course it is riot and wrong.

United played well today playing their 3rd, 4th, 5th choice CB...ending the match with their 4th and 5th. 3rd choice LB, 2nd choice CM in Eriksen, started w 2nd choice CF.

Totally wrong and undeserved result.

Arsenal and Spurs look miles ahead of us it's not even funny. The game was going only one way ever since the first minute. We were just lucky with the goal against run of play but of course we were clownish enough to concede immediately after.

I'm honestly giving up on this guy. The excuses for him from his die hard fans are becoming worse than those given by Ole apologists. I thought Ole fans ruined the forum back then but Ten Hag ones are giving them a run for their money.

He's ridiculously overrated and the team looks as shit as it has always been after splashing ton of money over mostly mediocre players and we are still cowards away from home, dominated by any semi decent team or above. We play the worst football among the ton clubs and the results aren't even that good.

Congratulations for winning the league cup last season but every day passes proves that's the peak of what Ten Hag can do here.

Oh well, time to hope we will get the next managerial appointment right. Maybe one day we will hire an actual offensive coach for change.

He wasn't though was he? And they could easily have been awarded that pen.

Had Garnacho scored we'd (maybe) have three points but you're not going to win trophies and titles going away to the best sides, trying to soak up pressure and hoping to hit them on the break. The money spent we should be better than that.

We give up too many chances to compete with the top sides. We don't control games like they do.
That was a clear non penalty. We had two injuries at center back with Varane and Shaw already out. There were no changes to be made in midfield with only three available in the first place. The squad needed an overhaul, and any time that’s the case there will be money spent and there needs to be time to build cohesion. Once again, perspective.

It was an entirely 50/50 game today despite us having multiple starters out injured and multiple bench options out injured and needing to make multiple injury subs during the game. We were away to Arsenal. We didn't even soak up pressure that much, it was 50/50 until the last 15 mins or so because we couldn't freshen things up and they could. That's literally all it was. It was a perfectly fine big game performance. Narrow calls went against us despite the injury issues, oh well, onto the next.
Decent summary.

Pretty sure we did that when Chelsea and Arsenal were better footballing sides than ours in the Fergie days.

Maybe - 20 plus years ago. And when there was usually one, or two sides who were realistically going to challenge you. That's not the case now with any one for 6 easily looking at a realistic tilt at top 4.

He won us a cup and finished third last season, so he gets a bit of credit in his locker from me. I’ll see where we are at this year in December, especially when Rasmus and Amrabat are match fit

We had the softest run I've ever seen. The FA cup run was similar, except we had to face one decent team (barely got by with penalties) and one very good team to whom we duly lost. Happy for the trophy, but let's be honest about the difficulty of this feat.

We were much better today.

Stick Varane, Hojlund and Amarbat in the starting 11 and we should win a lot of games.

We "should" be breezing past Wolves and Forest at home even without any of them. No point winning 20 games against the bottom 10 and then dropping loads of points against the rest.

Correct. This is why every time we sack a manager they need to move on/bring in 10 players because the new man doesn't want the old man's players.

It's been said a million times before but the lack of any footballing direction above the manager is a major problem - in this instance because it means recruitment seems to sit with him, and if he's not good enough, you go around in circles sacking and hiring managers.

Also feel like good managers should be able to adapt and use at least some of the players they have at their disposal, even if it's not the type of player they'd normally sign. Klopp found top talents at Liverpool who propelled them to success but also consistently managed to find a role for someone like, say, James Milner, who'd arrived at the club before him. Good managers should be able to get the best out of what they have.

Didn’t do much wrong today in my view. Team picked itself, subs were either necessary or at the right time (Hojland and Garnacho). We were unlucky.

however, there’s still no clear playing style and I was hoping by now we’d have something. We play the same way we did under Jose and Ole.

He won us a cup and finished third last season, so he gets a bit of credit in his locker from me. I’ll see where we are at this year in December, especially when Rasmus and Amrabat are match fit

Fair enough. We could get better after this poor start as it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that we improve, especially when more and more of our injured players come back.

I've got to say though...to have the amount of injuries that we're accumulating isn't normal.

Feel like every of our manager (post Fergie) on his 2nd season is like this
Lose his head, blame environment, etc... instead of focusing on things that can be improved.
Nah he is right here, ref destroyed us.

Of course it is riot and wrong.

United played well today playing their 3rd, 4th, 5th choice CB...ending the match with their 4th and 5th. 3rd choice LB, 2nd choice CM in Eriksen, started w 2nd choice CF.

Totally wrong and undeserved result.
On balance maybe Arsenal deserved to win, but not by much. It’s painfully obvious that Amrabat and Hoijland could have made a difference in the overall balance of the game, but we want to sack the manager before they’ve had a chance to be integrated into the team

He’s shit at signing players but once Hojlund, Mainoo and Amrabat are starting for us, we will be a far better unit. But if my Xmas we don’t look organised and have a clear identity, his position needs to be looked at.

Poch was great for Spurs and had them in the top 4 consistently for a very long time. The expectations at United should be beyond that, but it’s a symptom of where we are as a club that do little is expected.
Yeah I know man, but at what point do we accept that there's bigger problems at the club than just the manager? Postecoglou is able to come into that Spurs side and get them singing because he already has the right tools to work with the players at his disposal. All we do is jump from manager to manager, with often conflicting styles, and just throw money at them for a rebuild because nobody in the director's roles know what the hell they're doing. And the problem we've got now is that we can't even give the next person money, so they need to work with what we have right now!

Maybe - 20 plus years ago. And when there was usually one, or two sides who were realistically going to challenge you. That's not the case now with any one for 6 easily looking at a realistic tilt at top 4.

Yeah probably. I'm just resigned to City being perennial champions for as long as Pep is there. There's no guarantee they'll feck up employing his successor, but at least the chance is there.

Good stuff from ten Hag here. Set the standards. Players not pulling their weight and trying in training deserve to be dropped.

I think he’s a good coach but the squad we have is incapable of playing a soecific brand of football. Its a team were half the players lack ball retention to play possession football, or the work rate to play high pressing game or the physicality. It’s a shame because ETH has already bought in enough players that would have rectified this problem

He has an obvious, clear playing style with much lesser resources.

He was able to use the players he had at his disposal to create something cohesive and he has them super fit!

There are no excuses for how unfit and disorganized we have looked after he has had time in the job. There is no disputing it
We also have a clear style of play. They have spent more than we have this summer, so let's cool it on the resource talk because they've spent €250m.

Fitness, yeah I don't know the reason for it. Last season we were fine with fitness and only died out because of congestion in the end. This season might be a result of that, it does tend to happen that teams who have an overload fixture list struggle for fitness the following season (happened with Liverpool last season). We'll see if it's just a small period of bad luck or an ongoing thing.

I'm not gonna draw conclusions after a game where we went away to a title competitor, played them 50/50 despite countless injuries and ultimately lost because of centimeters. It is what it is. You will lose sometimes. We lost to Spurs because of a shit non penalty decision and then lost due to fine margins today. It'll need to change of course, but I'm sure it will. Nothing is won in August, and that's good for us because we have a habit of being fecking woeful in August the past many years.

He’s the man. He’ll prove it. We’ve got injuries we’ve got a new striker to bed in who looks aggressive and hungry. We were an inch off winning the game, we conceded with a make shift defence and we put all our players in their half and conceded again. We were 1-1 for 95 mins any other season the whistle was blown. Amrabat will make a massive difference, Hojilund is an annoying target man. Watch us rise now. Mount will shock you all too.

It was an entirely 50/50 game today despite us having multiple starters out injured and multiple bench options out injured and needing to make multiple injury subs during the game. We were away to Arsenal. We didn't even soak up pressure that much, it was 50/50 until the last 15 mins or so because we couldn't freshen things up and they could. That's literally all it was. It was a perfectly fine big game performance. Narrow calls went against us despite the injury issues, oh well, onto the next.
Honestly, I can see your point but I hope you aren't expecting everybody to agree with your standpoint here, right? It was a decent performance today based on all factors with injuries and new additions, but "perfectly fine big game performance" (in my view) will only invite the critics to lay into it. if you are playing on the counter like we did today, then you have to make sure, you are water tight and compact. Look at the first goal and tell me that looks water tight...

I also don't get the level of heat on here. I really don't. But maybe its better to let them just cool down and not adding more fuel to the fire by aggrevating them calling it perfectly fine (again, even if I see your point to a degree)

Good stuff from ten Hag here. Set the standards. Players not pulling their weight and trying in training deserve to be dropped.

I don’t think he likes Sancho or his attitude at all. He never ever criticizes players in public…even praised Martial for his shit performance today

That was a clear non penalty. We had two injuries at center back with Varane and Shaw already out. There were no changes to be made in midfield with only three available in the first place. The squad needed an overhaul, and any time that’s the case there will be money spent and there needs to be time to build cohesion. Once again, perspective.

We're obviously light at centre-back given Varane's injury record and the fact that he doesn't fancy Maguire. Why was that problem not prioritised? The Mount money, given the FFP problems, in my opinion, could have been better spent. If Amrabat was always a target, and gettable at a reasonable price given his contract situation, I can't understand why a CB wasn't brought in. Shaw is irrelevant today because Dalot played well. You obviously can't blame the manager for injuries, but you can blame him for holes in the squad and poor recruitment.

The cohesion argument, whilst fair at the start of an season, isn't relevant today because other than Onana - who I actually think is going to be a good signing long term, no recent arrivals were in the starting XI. That side should be cohesive, he's had a year plus to coach them.

Pretty sure he's still here in 5 years unless he himself wants to leave.

Him pointing to 3 situations he thinks should have gone our way immediately after the final whistle is brilliant to put the media focus on him instead of the team as we go into the international break.

Love Erik Ten Hag

Hate some of our online "fans". Nothing wrong today. He's swimming against the tide with our club and players sometimes.

Unlucky today, some nonsense calls in a 50/50 game away at the second best team in England last season. Our performances ARE getting better.

Spot on. Complain all you like about Spurs, Forest and Wolves performances, but this was not a bad one by any stretch.

Yeah I know man, but at what point do we accept that there's bigger problems at the club than just the manager? Postecoglou is able to come into that Spurs side and get them singing because he already has the right tools to work with the players at his disposal. All we do is jump from manager to manager, with often conflicting styles, and just throw money at them for a rebuild because nobody in the director's roles know what the hell they're doing. And the problem we've got now is that we can't even give the next person money, so they need to work with what we have right now!

This is the key issue, and it is the one that hurts the most and frustrates immensely, but other teams have managed to overcome those issues with a top coach and Ten Hag is extremely worrying at this stage.

He has obviously been given a greater say in what players he wants and I think he has wasted serious money. The team doesn’t even look fit, which is the bare minimum of what should be expected coming in to a new season.

I don’t think we can afford to give up the search for a truly top coach while the Glazers are here, otherwise, we are just going through the motions, waiting for something to change that we have no control over.

This is the key issue, and it is the one that hurts the most and frustrates immensely, but other teams have managed to overcome those issues with a top coach and Ten Hag is extremely worrying at this stage.

He has obviously been given a greater say in what players he wants and I think he has wasted serious money. The team doesn’t even look fit, which is the bare minimum of what should be expected coming in to a new season.

I don’t think we can afford to give up the search for a truly top coach while the Glazers are here, otherwise, we are just going through the motions, waiting for something to change that we have no control over.

Most of his signings have been good. You can’t expect every single one to work.

We are mainly having issues with players he wants rid of like Maguire and compromises he has to make because the club screwed him Evans

Antony is the one signing hes got wrong so far. Mount I’m on the fence about

Saying that the club should not allow a manager to select all the players

Madness asking to sack the manager after a positive season. It's just the beginning. Let the signings stabilize, give them a full run of games and I'm sure we will see a positive development.

Shit-on-a-stick football. Every once in awhile we poke into a kebab, but it is then quickly followed up with more shite, rendering the overall experience unpleasant. Might take a break if this keeps up after the International Break.

We also have a clear style of play. They have spent more than we have this summer, so let's cool it on the resource talk because they've spent €250m.

Fitness, yeah I don't know the reason for it. Last season we were fine with fitness and only died out because of congestion in the end. This season might be a result of that, it does tend to happen that teams who have an overload fixture list struggle for fitness the following season (happened with Liverpool last season). We'll see if it's just a small period of bad luck or an ongoing thing.

I'm not gonna draw conclusions after a game where we went away to a title competitor, played them 50/50 despite countless injuries and ultimately lost because of centimeters. It is what it is. You will lose sometimes. We lost to Spurs because of a shit non penalty decision and then lost due to fine margins today. It'll need to change of course, but I'm sure it will. Nothing is won in August, and that's good for us because we have a habit of being fecking woeful in August the past many years.

They lost their best player by a distance, and Ten Hag has had more time and money. I feel like it can be done.

I agree with you about the rest. I think it’s just that my fears about these concerns are very loud right now.

As for the losses, it’s the consistency of those losses against big sides that is the issue. It’s a very worrying trend that could stop us doing anything noteworthy under his coaching.

Shit-on-a-stick football. Every once in awhile we poke into a kebab, but it is then quickly followed up with more shite, rendering the overall experience unpleasant. Might take a break if this keeps up after the International Break.
Yeah it’s tough to watch and predictable. It’s also hard to watch people falling over themselves to find excuses when other managers got pilloried for less.

People are entitled to blame him but I saw someone saying we give Ten Hag till the end of the year then get De Zerbi in. Like De Zerbi is going to wave a magic wand and immediately change everything.
Ok that's stupid, I blame him for our results but I am not calling for his sacking and anyone who is, is being delusional.

feck his style of play or what the manager wants. This whole mindset is what's damaging for the club.

We should be hiring coaches and buying players to fit the style of play the club wants. feck this whole shit about deferring to the managers needs. Up until we start treating managers like a key but disposable part of the overall strategy, we are going to be fecked.
It's been ten years and somehow this still needs to be repeated, over and over.

When we inevitably sack ETH, I fear we'll continue with our approach of handing the new manager a nearly-blank check and telling him to rip up the squad and sign whoever he sees fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.