Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now begins the slow and draining journey to the realisation he's not going to make it, and the inevitable sacking when all is lost.
It will end up being the same as the Ole crowd who want to prolong something that clearly isn’t working and then just walk away after wasting years of time and money. But of course they weren’t wrong about anything.

Just look at what Ange has done with Spurs in a few months. Here we are, months and months on, and he can’t even get the players fit, nevermind beat a decent team away from home.
The thing is, even if that's the case, we'll only end up replacing him with someone else and making zero changes to the actual structure of the club - the exact same thing we did every other time we sacked a manager. And that will just guarantee that in a year or two, we'll end up right back here yet again.

Now what?

Can he turn this around?

Do the players back him?
Do we have any players left at this point considering it's Evans and Maguire that's our CB pairing from hell.
No left back.

He needs to up the tempo or it's only going to get worse.

So what was the reason we aren't where spurs were 2 weeks ago? What's the reason we barely escaped with a win vs forest or escaped a draw thanks to the ref vs wolves.

This isn't about 1 game vs arsenal. This is how the season has been, how poor we have been and it has nothing to do with Ten Hag being backed or not. No amount of transfer spend can bring you conditioning and fitness, we have looked leggy and unprepared from the first game and that is on Ten Hag and Ten Hag alone.

People are entitled to blame him but I saw someone saying we give Ten Hag till the end of the year then get De Zerbi in. Like De Zerbi is going to wave a magic wand and immediately change everything.

Should be sacked after this season.

The club needs to have a strategy and structure in place, whereby the manager is a coach and transfers and squad planning are made on club level. The manager can have an input, but the decisions and targets are not his first and foremost. Enough with this amateurish BS. It worked for Fergie, but he was a god. We wont find another one anytime soon.

The problem is we won’t be going back to square 1 if they sack him we’ll go back to -500 because almost every player he’s signed is connected to the manager in some way

They have to back him. If we finish 10th this season he will still be here

ETH is a good manager but his signing is questionable. Malaccia is decent as he is cheap, Martinez isn't a world beater for me, Antony is a just an average expensive winger, Casemiro brings the spirit, Onana hasn't been convincing for me, good feet but shot stopping isn't better than De gea, Mount isn't worth a mention so far, Hoijund too early to judge. I think we will struggle this season and likely top of top 4. We need another 300 million to address our issues. Need a RW, CB, RB and MF. I seems our issues never ends.

Because we are shit at picking them in the first place. Thats why we have to keep going.

Just to be clear, I like ETH's ideas. But his transfers have been horrendous.

Yes I agree, but it should not be in their control anyway. The club needs a vision of what they want their footballing identity to be and then recruit based off that. That list of managers all had wildly different playstyles and that hurt us, because all their players became deadwood for the next one faster than Usain Bolt on the 100m.

If we sack ETH, what's the alternative? We are so dysfunctional, nothing will change.

Where has anyone said he should be sacked. Is Saint that should not be criticised?

Are you genuinely blind or just pretending to be?

People thought that a guy who managed in fecking first league in Netherlands the best team with resources, best academy and players around, that he could replicate that in Premier League? Of course he would light it up there. He makes us play like underdogs instead of instilling any kind of prgressive and dominating football we were known for and he's been here long enough for us to see any kind of patterns. Yet we have seen very little in quite some time he had with the team and players he brought in..

It wold be very worrying to give him the invincible status he's getting from some of the fans. And I think he's a good manager but is he elite to get us to the top?

I still believe he's a great manager. One of the reasons I'm hard on the buffoons ahead of him in the hierarchy is it's sort of obvious he isn't yet great at squadbuilding. The overreliance on the dutch network gave early hints it was limited. He needed help not a team of buffoons hiding their incompetence behind acquiescing to his every whim.

He's not going to be a great manager if he can't identify good enough players for his own system.

Whether the people above him are "buffoons" or not, if you're going to ask for players then you'd best be able to get something out of them. I personally think a DoF is what's needed, but unless that DoF is just going to select all the players without Ten Hag's involvement (which, I suspect is unlikely) then the problem remains.

He's spent a fortune and we're no further forward. Spent all last summer chasing a single player who was never interested then spent a fortune on Antony who'll never be good enough.

There was a period of play where we did brilliantly playing out of the back into Bruno who tried to turn and run but got hawked down yet played it to Antony in acres of space 1v1…. And he couldn’t beat his man so instead turned around and passed it backwards. Sums us up really.

I am not going to question him yet but his away records against the top 6 or 8 teams have been absolutely appalling. I don’t know how he is going to rectify it but this simply have to stop soon
Its even worse than Poch. Its actually as bad as David Moyes. Thats the sobering truth.

:lol:
He is imploding
No it's about time we had a manager that calls out the officials again. Disagree with him on the Hojlund one but he has a point on the other two. I also think Saka's tackle on Bruno in the first half could've been a red. That was a disgraceful challenge.

To be fair a lot of the recruitment is on him.
What nonsense are you spewing. The collapse shortly after almost going 2-1 up only Casemiro, Ericksen and Hojlund was on the pitch. 3 out of 10 outfield players are his.

Not the man.

Pathetic performance all told. We’re not Sheffield United.

Not the best result but I thought he set us up quite well? Our injury list is getting way too long now though and something has to give.

He’s saying the goal was onside from the other angle….this could be interesting
What does he mean by that? I didn't see the interview.

What are we feeding these players? How tf is half the squad injured 4 games in.

Played well but the margins in football are literally millemeters because if garnachos goal is allowed, we win the match.

Having said that we dont have what city have under pep, the determination and will to win. We just dont have that. We are not winning the PL this season - out best bet is top four. We might pull the CL out of the hat sort of like chelsea did under tuchel because thats a cup competition. I am not saying we will win it, just that we have a better chance given what i said.

I just wonder is ten hag able to get inside players heads like ferguson was and pep is. I dont think he is. Even if we had our full team out every match, i dont think we would win the PL outright. Maybe top four. Its 75% psychology and 25% tactics i heard a manager say before. I think it was lombardi.
Nobody has at this club for a decade. If he can’t on a consistent basis he’ll meet the same fate unfortunately.

Not wishing it but think he’ll be gone this season. Don’t think he can be fully trusted for transfers. Still look like a rag tag Sunday league team when it comes to passing/possession. I think until we change the structure to get a DOF and system in place for transfer targets, we’ll be forever stuck battling it out for 4th.

I thought we played well today although we lost because of fine margins - the latter is a culmination of a lot things (long term transfer stratedy, injuries, fitness, crazy extra time rules amongst other issues). I think we will struggle this season and I expect Ten Hag to be under a lot of presure, but I think e should stick with him.

We constantly look like a side who'll give away a soft goal. We concede far too much possession in the final third. Had Arsenal scored earlier we'd never have got back into the game.

The better side won. With the resources he's had we should be able to compete against Arsenal, not just rely on pieces of brilliance or a mistake to hit them on the break.

Only one complaint today. Why was Lindelof taken off ? Yellow isn't a reason for taking your best CB out !

Not wishing it but think he’ll be gone this season. Don’t think he can be fully trusted for transfers. Still look like a rag tag Sunday league team when it comes to passing/possession. I think until we change the structure to get a DOF and system in place for transfer targets, we’ll be forever stuck battling it out for 4th.
Yep. Not surviving playing this negative underdog football with no obvious style of play. You simply cannot ignore the 0-1-10 record away to top 9 teams. Utterly atrocious.

I feel like he's still underestimating the importance of physicalilty in the league. Our team lost most of the duels, and we can't seem to win any second ball as well.

We constantly look like a side who'll give away a soft goal. We concede far too much possession in the final third. Had Arsenal scored earlier we'd never have got back into the game.

The better side won. With the resources he's had we should be able to compete against Arsenal, not just rely on pieces of brilliance or a mistake to hit them on the break.
So now he’s being blamed for the actually loss, and something on a hypothetical plane. If Garnacho was inside you wouldn’t be saying anything. That game works both ways.

Yes. How much time did he get again?

Years, years of wasted time waiting for a process that never happened. Time does not equal success. The team isn’t even fit! If you understand so much about football, surely you can see what a basic error that is?

And he has done it twice now!

The problem is we won’t be going back to square 1 if they sack him we’ll go back to -500 because almost every player he’s signed is connected to the manager in some way

They have to back him. If we finish 10th this season he will still be here

No he wont. He will be sacked.

At some point we will realise he isnt good enough and will need to restart. But restart the right way. Hiring another manager snd giving him full control in hope he will be Fergie 2.0 is BS. We can just as well keep ETH and fight for top 4 one year and finish 7th the next. If that is the goal, then keep him. Otherwise sack and do it properly for once. We have the resources, but are run by idiots across all levels.

Two youth players to bring on to close out a game away at Arsenal? I dont think those are the right subs to make...

And how did sticking with those experienced players turn in the end.

Don't want to hear these lame excuses anymore. ETH had them on the bench over McTominay and VDB, and he blocked the loan for Mejbri, so if he does all that then he needs to use them.

I was all in on ETH, still am TBF but I think what this is proving is that even though he may be a brilliant coach, he is not a brilliant manager, at least by the old school definition. He shouldn't be completely rebuilding a team, he should have a DOF who is signing players that work with his intended style of play.

Agree with this part. He’s clearly a good coach as evidenced by his time at Ajax and some of the glimpses we’ve seen since he’s come here. But he didn’t have to do all the player targeting at Ajax, Overmars did that.

Should be Murtough and the scouting staff dealing with that side, being firmer and asserting themselves. If Murtough isn’t good enough, get somebody else in to perform that role.

So, you're willing to admit that his away record against the top teams is dreadful, but you won't question him? I don't understand that.

We play dull football. Saw lots of comments in the match day thread about it being close to what LVG was offering up, and I don't think those comments are wide of the mark, tbh. I will say that he's had it very, very unlucky with the injuries and that is probably what is going to stop most fans going two feet in on him. But, we've played 4 games, and we've lost 2 and have conceded 7 goals in the process. That's just not good enough.
Spurs play great football right now after like 6 weeks without the world stars we have in the squad.

That is luck too though. Ten Hag is on a hiding to nothing at United as some have stated. We won’t and can’t buy him the players to lift the PL or Champions league.

It’s not possible unless it’s a crazy bit of luck in Europe playing underdog.

The football is damn boring. I get building from the back but we are in that stage for ages now playing Evans at CB.

The main issue is are the Glazer’s going to keep the club? If they are his coffin is sealed within a year or two.

Sick of his away record. He knows Maguire and Evans are shite, why not bring in Bailly since we're paying his wages.

You can bet that madman would have dived in front of the ball, not run away pointing to the stands like that moron Maguire

Not sure about the penalty but was right about the other two. He's not getting many breaks to go his way on the field or off it with injuries. United more than enough to earn at least a point today in one of the toughest games in the league.
Agreed. I also think Saka was lucky not to be sent off.

Status
Not open for further replies.