Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as highlighted by many fans and it didn’t start yesterday, United does not believe in proper structure breeding success but rather in hiring a genius manager responsible for everything from the top to bottom and him single-handedly turning our fortunes with his unmatched tactical and man management skills. I don’t think ETH is our savior and the man to do this job, but then again, you don’t have many managers capable of that, so he’s facing a rather difficult challenge and no surprise he’s struggling.

We need our full first choice 11 back and a run of games, then we should judge. Fair to say pre season preparation has been poor, transfers in/out too slow, too many injuries.

Some of that is on ETH, some is on those above him but seasons can go south and remain south in the first couple of months.

Personally I’ve lost any sort of buzz I had for this season in record time, maybe hearing that CL theme and some performances in Europe can kick start us but I’m finding it hard to be optimistic, we are miles away from being a top team again and it’s utterly depressing.

Nobody has at this club for a decade. If he can’t on a consistent basis he’ll meet the same fate unfortunately.

We are not winning the PL, not while Klopp and Pep are both here. If city have a bad season, pool capitalize and vice versa.

Best bet is the cups.

So, you're willing to admit that his away record against the top teams is dreadful, but you won't question him? I don't understand that.

We play dull football. Saw lots of comments in the match day thread about it being close to what LVG was offering up, and I don't think those comments are wide of the mark, tbh. I will say that he's had it very, very unlucky with the injuries and that is probably what is going to stop most fans going two feet in on him. But, we've played 4 games, and we've lost 2 and have conceded 7 goals in the process. That's just not good enough.

He won us a cup and finished third last season, so he gets a bit of credit in his locker from me. I’ll see where we are at this year in December, especially when Rasmus and Amrabat are match fit

He's quite a weird guy generally and he does tend to just lie in his interviews but this makes him seem silly. He's wrong on all 3 and, even if he wasn't, good reams don't rely on getting favourable decisions that you can't control. I

I actually thought we were mosyly decent in the 2nd half (the 1st half wasn't good) but the goal that decides the game is awful, as is the fact we ended up with Maguire and Evans at centre back (which is partially his fault albeit mostly the club's fault).

We were much better today.

Stick Varane, Hojlund and Amarbat in the starting 11 and we should win a lot of games.

Can't fault him for today. Away against a better team, with lots of injuries, and still it was very even.

He’ll be fine when everyones fit. He had a tactical plan today which worked well and was unlucky not to get something from the game. Same as Arsenal away last season

Years, years of wasted time waiting for a process that never happened. Time does not equal success. The team isn’t even fit! If you understand so much about football, surely you can see what a basic error that is?

And he has done it twice now!
What’s that got to do with Ten Hag after the 4th match of year two after year one was a success? Breaking news, midfielders get tired. We had nobody viable on the bench to bring in and were without 3/4 of our back 4, as well as Lindelof. Go take a breath

No he wont. He will be sacked.

At some point we will realise he isnt good enough and will need to restart. But restart the right way. Hiring another manager snd giving him full control in hope he will be Fergie 2.0 is BS. We can just as well keep ETH and fight for top 4 one year and finish 7th the next. If that is the goal, then keep him. Otherwise sack and do it properly for once. We have the resources, but are run by idiots across all levels.

Murtough and Arnold are going nowhere so all they’ll do is hire the next mug who will take the fall for their incompetence

You know what the Glazers rightly get targeted, the quicker they sell the better but they’ve put the money forward for players it’s these fecking morons running the club on a daily basis who have fecked us over with terrible signings and massive contracts to shit players

It's actually quite easy.

Play forward football.

That means two things in our case - never play Anthony Martial and never play Antony.

Go double wide with Garnacho - Bruno (Pellistri) and two forwards in Rashford and Hojlund.

How so? What does Sanch do? Bear in mimd Antony scored more goals last season.

Surely you are not serious with that comparision?

He's scored 1 more goal than a player who's had mental issues last season and played around 700 minutes less than him.

He's quite a weird guy generally and he does tend to just lie in his interviews but this makes him seem silly. He's wrong on all 3 and, even if he wasn't, good reams don't rely on getting favourable decisions that you can't control. I

I actually thought we were mosyly decent in the 2nd half (the 1st half wasn't good) but the goal that decides the game is awful, as is the fact we ended up with Maguire and Evans at centre back (which is partially his fault albeit mostly the club's fault).
It's been proven that moaning about decisions (rightly or wrongly) absolutely works.

Look at Klopp.

We need our full first choice 11 back and a run of games, then we should judge. Fair to say pre season preparation has been poor, transfers in/out too slow, too many injuries.

Some of that is on ETH, some is on those above him but seasons can go south and remain south in the first couple of months.

Personally I’ve lost any sort of buzz I had for this season in record time, maybe hearing that CL theme and some performances in Europe can kick start us but I’m finding it hard to be optimistic, we are miles away from being a top team again and it’s utterly depressing.
Can see Bayern giving us a wake up call

He's not filling me with confidence but let him have 3 seasons.

But right now it feels like we have gone backwards

We are not winning the PL, not while Klopp and Pep are both here. If city have a bad season, pool capitalize and vice versa.

Best bet is the cups.
We weren’t winning it this season anyway. We haven’t even seen Hoijland and Amrabat get a run of games. They were exactly what was missing today but we had to make do with Martial and only three fit midfielders with any PL experience.

Sick of his away record. He knows Maguire and Evans are shite, why not bring in Bailly since we're paying his wages.

You can bet that madman would have dived in front of the ball, not run away pointing to the stands like that moron Maguire
Bailly isn’t at the club anymore. We of had to fly him back from wherever he is and put him on the bench first

Played well but the margins in football are literally millemeters because if garnachos goal is allowed, we win the match.

Having said that we dont have what city have under pep, the determination and will to win. We just dont have that. We are not winning the PL this season - out best bet is top four. We might pull the CL out of the hat sort of like chelsea did under tuchel because thats a cup competition. I am not saying we will win it, just that we have a better chance given what i said.

I just wonder is ten hag able to get inside players heads like ferguson was and pep is. I dont think he is. Even if we had our full team out every match, i dont think we would win the PL outright. Maybe top four. Its 75% psychology and 25% tactics i heard a manager say before. I think it was lombardi.

You're contradicting yourself a bit here with will to win. We've literally seen this many times already before under EtH. Most goals from the bench last year, 2nd half performances to win.

The team is still with the likes of Maguire, Martial, Bailly, VDB,who don't have the character and personality.

To win at the top now, with such a competitive league and heavy top side, the mentality always has to be there but so does the quality.

No he wont. He will be sacked.

At some point we will realise he isnt good enough and will need to restart. But restart the right way. Hiring another manager snd giving him full control in hope he will be Fergie 2.0 is BS.
Yes let’s restart the right way under the Glazers and their board. It woukd be our 6th full-time manager since Fergie. They might get it right :wenger::wenger:

It's been proven that moaning about decisions (rightly or wrongly) absolutely works.

Look at Klopp.
Maybe but Klopp has more charisma and is quite intimidating, Ten Hag being geeky and weird (which he can't do anything about in fairness) doesn't have the same impact. Plus maybe pick 1 and hone in on it (the Evans one possibly) rather than listing them and being wrong on all fronts.

Just look at what Ange has done with Spurs in a few months. Here we are, months and months on, and he can’t even get the players fit, nevermind beat a decent team away from home.
Poch looked great when he first went to Spurs as well.
So now he’s being blamed for the actually loss, and something on a hypothetical plane. If Garnacho was inside you wouldn’t be saying anything. That game works both ways.
If Garnacho's goal is onside then tonight we'd all be talking about how flexible Ten Hag is switching our game to play on the counter attack, and how well drilled the players are to accommodate this. And the usual suspects would be in here saying that it doesn't matter because Postecoglou, who seems to be this year's Poch or Potter, would have the team playing even better.

But feck it, let's bin Ten Hag because we're four games in with no CBs or LBs, and our main striker has just played his first minutes for us. Let's get Jimmy Jimmerson from Shitehawks United in and have the owners throw hundreds of millions (that we don't have) at him for rebuild number 6 because Ten Hag has done absolutely nothing of note since coming here apart from improving our build up play, our defense (when they're uninjured), got Rashford and Shaw playing great again, dealt with the big egos in the dressing room, dealt with the Big Sulk we always did when things didn't go our way.

Ronaldo was meant to be his downfall, then Martinez was meant to be the worst signing in our history, then we weren't going to get Top Four, then we wouldn't get any silverware, then blah dee fecking blah.

What’s that got to do with Ten Hag after the 4th match of year two after year one was a success? Breaking news, midfielders get tired. We had nobody viable on the bench to bring in and were without 3/4 of our back 4, as well as Lindelof. Go take a breath

If “run on” and “take a breath” are your arguments then I guess they are the better options than debating with someone who “knows football”.

He has spent £400 million and his away record is horrendous. Your arrogance is what let’s the Glazers get away with the way they run the club.

Absolutely nonsense about time and process while they get away with murder, and enables them to continue to hire the wrong people throughout the club.

Fully expected reaction by the children on here I guess :lol:

We are in a shitty situation right now and in the middle of an injury crisis. You all need to calm the feck down and give it time. We played them even away from home, until eventually we had a brain fart in the dying moments because of.... Our 6th CB being relied upon? Is that on Ten Hag?

I was all in on ETH, still am TBF but I think what this is proving is that even though he may be a brilliant coach, he is not a brilliant manager, at least by the old school definition. He shouldn't be completely rebuilding a team, he should have a DOF who is signing players that work with his intended style of play.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him be let go if the results don't turn real soon, it's been a piss poor start to the season and the team already looks knackered which is extremely worrying.

feck his style of play or what the manager wants. This whole mindset is what's damaging for the club.

We should be hiring coaches and buying players to fit the style of play the club wants. feck this whole shit about deferring to the managers needs. Up until we start treating managers like a key but disposable part of the overall strategy, we are going to be fecked.

So now he’s being blamed for the actually loss, and something on a hypothetical plane. If Garnacho was inside you wouldn’t be saying anything. That game works both ways.

He wasn't though was he? And they could easily have been awarded that pen.

Had Garnacho scored we'd (maybe) have three points but you're not going to win trophies and titles going away to the best sides, trying to soak up pressure and hoping to hit them on the break. The money spent we should be better than that.

We give up too many chances to compete with the top sides. We don't control games like they do.

It will end up being the same as the Ole crowd who want to prolong something that clearly isn’t working and then just walk away after wasting years of time and money. But of course they weren’t wrong about anything.

Just look at what Ange has done with Spurs in a few months. Here we are, months and months on, and he can’t even get the players fit, nevermind beat a decent team away from home.
Oh sorry has Ange done well away to Arsenal? What's he done? Beat Burnley? Congrats bud.

You're contradicting yourself a bit here with will to win. We've literally seen this many times already before under EtH. Most goals from the bench last year, 2nd half performances to win.

The team is still with the likes of Maguire, Martial, Bailly, VDB,who don't have the character and personality.

To win at the top now, with such a competitive league and heavy top side, the mentality always has to be there but so does the quality.
And there’s no way to clean up almost a decade of transfer decisions made by a banker, and owners that would rather let contracts run out than take a loss. The lack of perspective in this thread is absolutely riot

Poch looked great when he first went to Spurs as well.

If Garnacho's goal is onside then tonight we'd all be talking about how flexible Ten Hag is switching our game to play on the counter attack, and how well drilled the players are to accommodate this. And the usual suspects would be in here saying that it doesn't matter because Postecoglou, who seems to be this year's Poch or Potter, would have the team playing even better.

But feck it, let's bin Ten Hag because we're four games in with no CBs or LBs, and our main striker has just played his first minutes for us. Let's get Jimmy Jimmerson from Shitehawks United in and have the owners throw hundreds of millions (that we don't have) at him for rebuild number 6 because Ten Hag has done absolutely nothing of note since coming here apart from improving our build up play, our defense (when they're uninjured), got Rashford and Shaw playing great again, dealt with the big egos in the dressing room, dealt with the Big Sulk we always did when things didn't go our way.

Ronaldo was meant to be his downfall, then Martinez was meant to be the worst signing in our history, then we weren't going to get Top Four, then we wouldn't get any silverware, then blah dee fecking blah.

Poch was great for Spurs and had them in the top 4 consistently for a very long time. The expectations at United should be beyond that, but it’s a symptom of where we are as a club that do little is expected.

Had Garnacho scored we'd (maybe) have three points but you're not going to win trophies and titles going away to the best sides, trying to soak up pressure and hoping to hit them on the break. The money spent we should be better than that.

We give up too many chances to compete with the top sides. We don't control games like they do.

Pretty sure we did that when Chelsea and Arsenal were better footballing sides than ours in the Fergie days.

It was an entirely 50/50 game today despite us having multiple starters out injured and multiple bench options out injured and needing to make multiple injury subs during the game. We were away to Arsenal. We didn't even soak up pressure that much, it was 50/50 until the last 15 mins or so because we couldn't freshen things up and they could. That's literally all it was. It was a perfectly fine big game performance. Narrow calls went against us despite the injury issues, oh well, onto the next.

feck his style of play or what the manager wants. This whole mindset is what's damaging for the club.

We should be hiring coaches and buying players to fit the style of play the club wants. feck this whole shit about deferring to the managers needs. Up until we start treating managers like a key but disposable part of the overall strategy, we are going to be fecked.

Correct. This is why every time we sack a manager they need to move on/bring in 10 players because the new man doesn't want the old man's players.

It's been said a million times before but the lack of any footballing direction above the manager is a major problem - in this instance because it means recruitment seems to sit with him, and if he's not good enough, you go around in circles sacking and hiring managers.

Status
Not open for further replies.