Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
In hindsight, the Anthony signing is seriously hindering us. Need to get rid, could probably get 40-50m for him. He is detrimental to us on a similar way to Maguire. We can have one or two wasteful forwards who play facing goal, not 4.

So Klopp is out telling the ref and the FA to rescind a red card. Ten Hag no a squeak on 2 clear pens. He needs to call out such stuff.

In hindsight, the Anthony signing is seriously hindering us. Need to get rid, could probably get 40-50m for him. He is detrimental to us on a similar way to Maguire. We can have one or two wasteful forwards who play facing goal, not 4.
He's on very high wage. No one going to get him, even for 40m.

I just don't understand how new managers at other clubs just get started right away and are able to implement their ideas but it seems impossible here.

Sometimes i just feel it has something to do with Utd way bs. Seriously wtf is wrong here?

My point is that I'm not sure he should have the scope of decision making power that he currently does. I think whether he's a top coach or a very good coach or whatever he is will be rather incidental to the fact it's going to be very hard to be successful. Nobody else seems to operate like we do at the top level and I'm not sure anybody is going to be successful if we keep this structure. It is proven not to work, we have been chasing our tails for years doing the same thing with the idea that the next coach will save us. That concept that the coach will be the Messiah and it just requires good coaching combined with the sheer ineptitude of the ownership to identify problems is exactly why we're struggling.

We can say ETH isn't a top coach and decisions are poor but if RDZ or whoever the next lamb to the slaughter is comes in then I think you are going to see the same result. It's too much responsibility for one person and they can't compete with the joined up thinking other clubs seem to have.

Thing is, I'm pretty sure there were reports on ETH having complete authority in incoming players prior to him being hired.

I just don't understand how new managers at other clubs just get started right away and are able to implement their ideas but it seems impossible here.

Sometimes i just feel it has something to do with Utd way bs. Seriously wtf is wrong here?
100% something is wrong. Perhaps players overpaid and unmotivated? I dont know

Maybe ETH needs to work on his HT talks. Why are we always flat and deflated in the second half is something to ponder upon.

He will need to stop sucking up to his bosses and saying all is well and everyone is doing a wonderful job, just because he knows there is no money available to improve the squad. It was a bit weird to see we did well and our midfield did well. That was an outright lie.
While it is true that he can't demoralize the team, he needs to go a bit hard. Else it will be Ole all over again and he will eventually lose his job, as has been shown in last few years.
Glazers and the bosses stay. Manager goes.

So Klopp is out telling the ref and the FA to rescind a red card. Ten Hag no a squeak on 2 clear pens. He needs to call out such stuff.

Not blaming that for reason we lost but if he feels strongly then yeah should speak up

He will need to stop sucking up to his bosses and saying all is well and everyone is doing a wonderful job, just because he knows there is no money available to improve the squad. It was a bit weird to see we did well and our midfield did well. That was an outright lie.
While it is true that he can't demoralize the team, he needs to go a bit hard. Else it will be Ole all over again and he will eventually lose his job, as has been shown in last few years.
Glazers and the bosses stay. Manager goes.

If I was his boss, and he complained in any shape or form about the lack of spending after the way he's been backed, I'd slap his bald head raw.

Figuratively of course.

Our recruitment is a big question mark this season and Mount may be the signing that sinks EtH. To be fair to him, we needed to fill three gaping holes - a GK, a striker and a CM. In today’s market, that is easily £250M +. Looks like our budget was constrained due to the ownership issue and FFP, and instead of going only for either a 1 WC striker or a CM, we went for a strategy to get 2 middling/ good players.
Not the worst thing to do, but I am seriously questioning the profile of the CM we have tried to bring in Mount. Would have preferred to go for a possession oriented player rather than a Bruno lite. EtH will need to work some Genius to make this midfield work and prove the majority wrong.

If I was his boss, and he complained in any shape or form about the lack of spending after the way he's been backed, I'd slap his bald head raw.

Figuratively of course.

His bosses are utter leeches who have literally run this club right into the ground

Our recruitment is a big question mark this season and Mount may be the signing that sinks EtH. To be fair to him, we needed to fill three gaping holes - a GK, a striker and a CM. In today’s market, that is easily £250M +. Looks like our budget was constrained due to the ownership issue and FFP, and instead of going only for either a 1 WC striker or a CM, we went for a strategy to get 2 middling/ good players.
Not the worst thing to do, but I am seriously questioning the profile of the CM we have tried to bring in Mount. Would have preferred to go for a possession oriented player rather than a Bruno lite. EtH will need to work some Genius to make this midfield work and prove the majority wrong.

Which WC striker should we have signed and please don't say Kane because he wasn't interested and Osimhen too expensive either

Which WC striker should we have signed and please don't say Kane because he wasn't interested and Osimhen too expensive either
How do we know Kane was not interested? If we had a warchest, I can bet we would be going after him.
My post isn’t criticizing the choice of striker, I like the Hojlund type of signing where the player is young and has the potential to be WC.
My concern rather is with the choice of MF. Please don’t ask me who I would have bought instead of Mount, I don’t really watch other leagues nor is it my profession to scout players.

if we’re being honest if we were a serious club he’d have been shown the door after the 7-0, the writings looking on the wall after that display yesterday, but in reality I doubt much will change until the owners leave and a manager can freely get rid of people like Bruno, Rashford, Shaw etc

We’re a mess

How do we know Kane was not interested? If we had a warchest, I can bet we would be going after him.
My post isn’t criticizing the choice of striker, I like the Hojlund type of signing where the player is young and has the potential to be WC.
My concern rather is with the choice of MF. Please don’t ask me who I would have bought instead of Mount, I don’t really watch other leagues nor is it my profession to scout players.

Judging from yesterday's performance, I would have easily signed Maddison (40M boyhood man utd fan on 170k per week) rather than Mount (60M boyhood chelsea fan on 250k per week)

Another 1 billion pound for ETH won't bring success if he keeps buying the wrong players. Maybe Hannibal fits better until Mainoo is back. Something needs to change else we will finish top 8.

We were at our most fluid last season in the December-February period last season when we had our squad at full strength after the WC. Eriksen & Martial both fit, Rashford on the left. That suffered a bit when Martial went down but bringing in Weghorst helped mitigate that impact somewhat by keeping Rashford on the left. The play only really went to shit when we lost Eriksen as well but we still ground out results with Rashford on the wing. Eventually we had to drop Weghorst, moved Rashford inside and the wheels came off.

I hope what we're seeing so far is a similar learning curve on how to get the most out of the system ETH wants to play. I think he's been making a .mistake sticking with Garnacho on the wing and Rashford central rather than Sancho on as the false 9. There is a gaping lack of connection between the front 3 - they're all playing for themselves at the moment.

That said, the team overall improved today in the first half and created real chances while maintaining control for most of the perio. They would have greatly benefited from a player like Hojlund in the middle. Fingers crossed that's the missing piece here and that in the meantime we move Rashford back to the left. ETH can't let adherence to his system overrule common sense.

Judging from yesterday's performance, I would have easily signed Maddison (40M boyhood man utd fan on 170k per week) rather than Mount (60M boyhood chelsea fan on 250k per week)

Yeah I didn't get not going for him either

You all are so fecking shameless. You all deserve this. You lot were championing him that he’s the one hyping him to heavens calling him a tactical genius who played beautiful mesmerising football and insulted everyone who wanted Poch. Tell you what Poch is ten times the manager he is. I was told by the posters here he’s a modern manager who likes to play a progressive dominant football and he’s a cross between Pep and klopp. Is he feck? You are all conmen.

Never ever suggest anything if you lot have some shame left. I was fooled by you hoping and thinking we would be elite going forward starting from this season and yet here we are without any style of play going into his second season. His football is closer to Ole than klopp and we are back to square one with no cohesion no style no identity and more expensive deadwoods. You all deserve this. Football genius my arse.

You all are so fecking shameless. You all deserve this. You lot were championing him that he’s the one hyping him to heavens calling him a tactical genius who played beautiful mesmerising football and insulted everyone who wanted Poch. Tell you what Poch is ten times the manager he is. I was told by the posters here he’s a modern manager who likes to play a progressive dominant football and he’s a cross between Pep and klopp. Is he feck? You are all conmen.

Never ever suggest anything if you lot have some shame left. I was fooled by you hoping and thinking we would be elite going forward starting from this season and yet here we are without any style of play going into his second season. His football is closer to Ole than klopp and we are back to square one with no cohesion no style no identity and more expensive deadwoods. You all deserve this. Football genius my arse.

Is this satire or are you drunk?

Only way we could have chucked everything at him was takeover sorted,pick two from Amrabat/Sangare/Gravenberch/Thuram/Onana and probably other options too

Something isn't right behind the scenes as others have stated. At the post-match press conference. He seemed crestfallen and generally resigned. I could be overreading this but I feel the atmosphere is starting to be quite toxic inside the club after just 2 games.

:lol:
Bu-feckings-hu!

Taking the club from utter shambles back to the CL, winning one cup and reaching the final of another - but yeah, he's not shown anything.:wenger:
Especially dealing with all the legacy. It is game 2 as well remember City last season? Not saying we go on an amazing run but time is important sometimes

ETH might not be the one, but Poch being the one is hilarious when he's shown nothing of the sort and didn't even know how to utilize Neymar/Messi.

It is always up to coach if team doesn't play like a team but as bunch of individuals, especially after 12+ months in charge, two preseasons and signings you wanted. We can try to avoid elephant in the room, but if we are being honest, in the last 12 months we won just a few games with more than 1 goal, so it was always on the edge, easy to go both side.

Don't get me wrong, I support him and I think he is capable to grasp results, and to adapt when things not going right. He is capable to change the style once he see that plan A is not working after few games. Last year was similar, he started very bad, and later on managed to fix things to the point it is working to get result.

But..it is obvious that our team doesn't have clear playing style or patterns of play when in possession. We are not moving like a team, our players are very slow, it looks like slowmotion, they are standing around, waiting for the ball and the only time when they move is when they have the ball. They are releasing the ball only when they can't go 1 on 1 anymore, dribbling is the first option, passing just if they have to. Even when someone makes a run, he won't get a ball, and after a few attempts he will stop trying. Check out movements of Rashford and later on Martial during the game, initially and later on. We are trying with crosses against low block with Rashford as striker, it is ridiculous. Our only visible pattern is switching sides, and waiting for someone to make a run behind to try cross behind CB's. It never works. When in possession you will regularly see 5 of our players standing around the box without single intention of moving, making run, taking players with them and making space for runners...which is normal as there is no runners at all. Even intention when we take the ball on our half is either long ball to Rashford or Garnacho, or extremely slow transition when you see players not even in the second gear walking around the pitch. We are losing 2:0, or 1:0 and they are moving like we are winning 5:0 and lets not get injuries.

Attitude is important. Check out goals. Garnacho and Shaw closing down for the first goal, they are running like on the training ground of 5th tier club. Garnacho closing down the side with that run? Really? Second goal, nightmare, from nothing. Varane did not even try to come back with spring to the position. Like they are watching the game on tv, not playing.

Sorry, but something is wrong. And it is obvious. We could win this game. If penalty, if Rashford and Bruno took their chances, but it is not about result. If we played like a team, with clear vision, with runs, OK, it can happen. This was playing just for the sake of playing.

You think Maddison would have played for us for 170k per week? Nah, we would have payed him 250k also. This club does nothing correct.

I think so too. We had our time under fergie, now it's our turn to suffer. We could have jesus Christ and peps lovechild managing us with Saudis trillions and we would still be shite.

I mean I do feel this some times but also we haven’t once hired a progressive and attacking manager and actually ran things properly. Van Gaal and Mourinho were past their sell by dates and whilst worth the risk they didn’t rekindle their mojo. Ole was ole. They clearly wanted Poch and had a plan but then changed it because Ten Hag was popular online or something and decided to go with ten Hag.
They’ve also made the same fatal mistake of allowing the manager to presumably sign all the players no questions asked. I mean this Antony signing is starting to look criminal. Who the feck sanctioned this.

You can't blame them for saying that considering how good his Ajax team was in the champions league, and the fact Poch flopped badly in France.
Meh, bigger picture… Winning well and good football at Ajax is about the norm. Unless they have someone really incompetent. Even Frank de Boer did well. Ten Hag was also fortunate to stumble across essentially a golden generation at Ajax (look at the level of clubs a lot of those players have gone on to play for)
Poch didn’t flop badly at psg he won the league ultimately in his only full season. Not that that is in any way impressive but simply put he’s proven he could build a team at this level (PL) from scratch in his time at Spurs playing excellent football. But United fans wanted the flavour of the month…

Two passes? Time to celebrate. He won't love Rashford on the left because he insists on aiming high balls to Garnacho, and Rashford is equally as meek in the air. I thought we'd bought him for his ability to play out from the back.
Patience. The whole thing is going to take more than two games to start running smooth. We’ll give him better options as time goes by.

I questioned some of the stuff he did before but bringing the knifes out just because of one wasteful game is a bit too much.

@Amadaeus you forgot to log out of your burner account.

Status
Not open for further replies.