Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want him to succeed and still believe he is the guy to take us forward but last 2 weeks have troubled me. He seems to be very passive in the press conference, talking bs and saying bs things.

The worst thing is his focus on changing the system and making us a transition side. I was hoping we finally have a manager who makes us play with high temp and dominate the ball and it seemed last season we were doing ok overall but these two games have made me concerned. He needs to correct things sooner or else we are in for a long boring season.

You honestly must be joking. Against Wolves in particular he was hoofing the ball all game. I had no option but to watch as I was sat in the stand.

But to be honest, I don't think it's an Onana problem because I've seen him do it. Probably our genius manager signing a player that is strong in one area and expecting him to do something else entirely.
There's a lot of whinging going on at the moment, but Onana is really not someone to worry about. He played well against Wolves and was equally as good, if not better today.

Also, "our genius manager"? What's with this attitude? Ten Hag did a really good job last season, yet you're spitting your dummy out over him after two games this season!

Two passes? Time to celebrate. He won't love Rashford on the left because he insists on aiming high balls to Garnacho, and Rashford is equally as meek in the air. I thought we'd bought him for his ability to play out from the back.

He's been fine. He can't pass to anyone close to him at times though if they're not positioning themselves to receive the ball.

There's a lot of whinging going on at the moment, but Onana is really not someone to worry about. He played well against Wolves and was equally as good, if not better today.

Also, "our genius manager"? What's with this attitude? Ten Hag did a really good job last season, yet you're spitting your dummy out over him after two games this season!

He was my MOTM against Wolves. But not for his passing. Like I said above, I don't blame him for it, but the fact that we give him no options to play from the back. Which is the no1 thing everyone was excited over the signing for. Wolves pressed and Spurs didn't, and that game he just had to go long all the time. I was honestly baffled that we weren't trying to keep possession, given that's what I thought was the main reason for signing him.

Re ETH. I'm just frustrated with him and I have no belief in him anymore. Weghorst no10, Bruno RW, Rashford CF, exposing Casemiro as a lone DM (thrived in a midfield 3 at Real), Mount at CM...all examples from the last 12 months of what I'm saying. Buys/inherits a player that thrives in one position or system, does something else with them entirely. He thinks he's smarter than he is. Apparently he used to play Haller at LW at Ajax, Kudus as a LB option... even their fans were sick of it.

Don't rate the guy at all. Screams average to me. I'm not interested in busy. Him being better than what we have is nothing to brag about. We have a kid up front and a broken Martial. Although having said that, I'd much rather Højlund over him.

Also his level for Brazil isn't a patch on old man Zlatan, peak Martial, or even Cavani as a number 9. All comfortably within the last decade.

I’ll 100% concede on Zlatan. Completely forgot about him tbh.

Loved Cavani and Martials purple patches. But across their United careers they’re busts.

I’m not going to die on a hill called ‘Richarlison is a Top #’. I hate false 9’s as a concept unless they’re a really creative 10 that’s playing high.

My posts really are just saying that he’s better than what we have though. Like you, I hope the new lad comes in and does what many seem to think he can.

I’ll 100% concede on Zlatan. Completely forgot about him tbh.

Loved Cavani and Martials purple patches. But across their United careers they’re busts.

I’m not going to die on a hill called ‘Richarlison is a Top #’. I hate false 9’s as a concept unless they’re a really creative 10 that’s playing high.

My posts really are just saying that he’s better than what we have though. Like you, I hope the new lad comes in and does what many seem to think he can.
I dare say he is better than what we have, but like I said, look at what we have...

I'd be very surprised if Richarlison ever reaches the level that Martial did under Ole in 19/20. Though I agree, if you can't replicate that level year in year out, you have no business being at United.

I'm fairly confident that Højlund will go on to be a better player than Richarlison. Probably as early as this season.

Sack him already, I lost faith in him the moment he gave the okay for that Chelsea reject Mount.

I agree then.

I should have been more clear in my original post but tried to clarify. Against Wolves in particular the outfield players didn't function like a team looking to play out from the back. We know what this looks like from watching most other decent PL teams. Instead Onana was having to just hit long balls and blind clearances more often than not. Think I read that he had 67% pass completion, which isn't what you'd expect for a team that is playing out from the back. The keeper makes their first pass if its implemented well.

Today it wasn't really required as Spurs didn't commit to a high press really.

Good coach, pretty bad in the transfer market. The club should be helping him out by talking the decisions on recruitment like Brighton, City and Liverpool (to an extent) do.

As good a tactician as Tuchel can be.. for some reason he decided to spunk £100m on Lukaku. Some managers are better coaches and tacticians than they are at building a team.

He was my MOTM against Wolves. But not for his passing. Like I said above, I don't blame him for it, but the fact that we give him no options to play from the back. Which is the no1 thing everyone was excited over the signing for. Wolves pressed and Spurs didn't, and that game he just had to go long all the time. I was honestly baffled that we weren't trying to keep possession, given that's what I thought was the main reason for signing him.

Re ETH. I'm just frustrated with him and I have no belief in him anymore. Weghorst no10, Bruno RW, Rashford CF, exposing Casemiro as a lone DM (thrived in a midfield 3 at Real), Mount at CM...all examples from the last 12 months of what I'm saying. Buys/inherits a player that thrives in one position or system, does something else with them entirely. He thinks he's smarter than he is. Apparently he used to play Haller at LW at Ajax, Kudus as a LB option... even their fans were sick of it.
The teams movement against Wolves was dreadful. There's only so many times you can play short to Shaw or Martinez, before realising that we aren't getting anywhere because nobody is making a run.

Being sceptical is ok, but it's very early days. Whatever he attempted last season largely worked. I remain hopeful that this season follows suit.

Very fair to doubt him at this point. We sometimes wondered it last season, how much of our improvement was really down to Casemiro? When he was out or playing poorly we are shit. Still the case.

Good coach, pretty bad in the transfer market. The club should be helping him out by talking the decisions on recruitment like Brighton, City and Liverpool (to an extent) do.

As good a tactician as Tuchel can be.. for some reason he decided to spunk £100m on Lukaku. Some managers are better coaches and tacticians than they are at building a team.

How do you go about doing that without causing a power struggle?

Should never have been given so much influence in the first place.

I think people are concerned he has underestimated the physicality and control of games that is required to succeed in this league. I just pray his stubbornness doesn't end up undoing the good work of last season.

Sack him already, I lost faith in him the moment he gave the okay for that Chelsea reject Mount.
He deserves at least to Xmas before people start talking about sack him, but his stubbornness might get him the sack with Roberto De Zerbi about, this guy looks the real deal in every way.

Mount is a huge mistake not because he’s a poor player which he is not and especially when James Maddison was available at £15-20m less and the best English attacking midfielder available. That extra £15m would have gone towards Fred’s sale value and bought Amrabat by now?

In your opinion what makes ETH a good coach?

Because all I am seeing at the moment is a group of individuals on the pitch that are not functioning like a team.

I dare say he is better than what we have, but like I said, look at what we have...

I'd be very surprised if Richarlison ever reaches the level that Martial did under Ole in 19/20. Though I agree, if you can't replicate that level year in year out, you have no business being at United.

I'm fairly confident that Højlund will go on to be a better player than Richarlison. Probably as early as this season.

Agree on the Martial point. That guy is such a disappointment. Could have been a world beater.

Fingers crossed on Højlund.

Yeah this is what happens when you have a recruitment team full of yes men who aren't experienced at handling transfers. Erik really needs the transfer power taken away but can't see it happening unless we get new owners

You are just excusing the board here. Let us not forget he wanted to sign Antony in June of last year when we could have gotten him for far less than what we paid but we dithered and then panicked and paid crazy amount. Same this season it is clear he doesn't rate maguire martial Mctominay and yet all the three are still with the squad.

I get he hasn't been great with player acquisition but we cannot dissolve the blame from the board. Both are to be equally blamed.

Those of us who made that point when he joined were told to just trust the process and that he'd cede power over time as the structure got put into place. Wishful thinking, clearly.

I want him to succeed and still believe he is the guy to take us forward but last 2 weeks have troubled me. He seems to be very passive in the press conference, talking bs and saying bs things.

The worst thing is his focus on changing the system and making us a transition side. I was hoping we finally have a manager who makes us play with high temp and dominate the ball and it seemed last season we were doing ok overall but these two games have made me concerned. He needs to correct things sooner or else we are in for a long boring season.

What is wrong with being a transition team, away to a top team? If his intention was to play with a transition style at Spurs, then his team selection was not, because a single DMF, apparently at 60%, is not enough to cover for the team.

I had my suspicion last season, that ETH is going to play with the same 11 players week in week out, against different teams, top or bottom, home or away, with the same 11 but HOPEFULLY a different tactics or instruction.

We were expected to dominate at home against Wolves, so OK to play with 2 AMF, failed only because players were unfit.

We were expected to defend hard against Spurs and kill them on the break, why McTom didn't start instead of Mount?

Yeah this is what happens when you have a recruitment team full of yes men who aren't experienced at handling transfers. Erik really needs the transfer power taken away but can't see it happening unless we get new owners

New owners mean new DOF, and new DOF usually means a new head coach.

So if we can’t trust the manager for recuitment, why should we keep him as our manager in the first place? If he wants shit players to play his shitty football, he should coach a shitty team, not the biggest club in the world.

What I don’t understand - Antony this, that - is why we seem so disorganised in our tactical setup. Spurs looked really well drilled in the second half, running what seem like well known patterns of play consistently. We just reverted to the usual team of individuals, ad hoc decision making we usually do. More than individuals I’m not sure why we can’t see a cohesive unit by now. It makes no sense and manager after manager are unable to do it.

He needs to swallow his pride and drop Antony, play Mount there, and restore Eriksen.
Antony is a major issue and needs to be dropped but I don’t see how the midfield doesn’t get completely overrun every game like it is now if we play Eriksen and Casemiro together. We need another midfielder right now and it needs to be someone with high energy levels but also a very composed passer.

Antony is a major issue and needs to be dropped but I don’t see how the midfield doesn’t get completely overrun every game like it is now if we play Eriksen and Casemiro together. We need another midfielder right now and it needs to be someone with high energy levels but also a very composed passer.

Amrabat has the passing ability but there seems to be doubts he has the energy levels

What I don’t understand - Antony this, that - is why we seem so disorganised in our tactical setup. Spurs looked really well drilled in the second half, running what seem like well known patterns of play consistently. We just reverted to the usual team of individuals, ad hoc decision making we usually do. More than individuals I’m not sure why we can’t see a cohesive unit by now. It makes no sense and manager after manager are unable to do it.
I mean our attackers seem to be 3 people who just want to go 1v1 and that's about it. Between the 3 of them they just know how to do 1 thing it seems and that is go 1v1

I don't worry about his ability to do it. But our apparent reluctance to make use of it. The Wolves game in particular when they pressed better than Spurs, long ball clearances one after the other. Weren't we buying him to look for short passes to play our way out of the press? Because that's where he excels.

with a team that actually moves into clever positions, he will excel. Maybe we will become that. We are so slow and static it beggars belief.

You are just excusing the board here. Let us not forget he wanted to sign Antony in June of last year when we could have gotten him for far less than what we paid but we dithered and then panicked and paid crazy amount. Same this season it is clear he doesn't rate maguire martial Mctominay and yet all the three are still with the squad.

I get he hasn't been great with player acquisition but we cannot dissolve the blame from the board. Both are to be equally blamed.

Apart from the cost it doesnt matter. Antony is not performing. And it's been 1 year and not 1 month the he get it late excuse is moot.

At the end of the day 400M and apart from Casemiro i dont think we have anyone else we can say 100% success.

Alarming

Apart from the cost it doesnt matter. Antony is not performing. And it's been 1 year and not 1 month the he get it late excuse is moot.

At the end of the day 400M and apart from Casemiro i dont think we have anyone else we can say 100% success.

Alarming
I belive in onana already. Dude gives hope ha. Think hojlund will come good as well. Really the biggest question I have from this window is mount by far

He’s better than Weghorst and he did a solid job. He was better than Rashford today.

He’s massively underrated after a dire club season. I think he’ll have a great season.

not sure why you're comparing him to weghorst. Can't quite take your assessments seriously after that b

I belive in onana already. Dude gives hope ha. Think hojlund will come good as well. Really the biggest question I have from this window is mount by far

Yeah I try to back any signing we make but it's the fact he prioritised him over a centre midfielder that still boggles the mind. Hard not to be concerned of how he will set us up against scousers,City etc away from home looking at last seasons games isn't it

Why always only Man Utd manager need a billion pounds and 3 seasons to implement his style of play?

Spurs new manager seems to already implemented his style of play. Brighton changed manager last season and their style of play is excellent.

ETH needs to prove himself this season. So far his football has been boring. It feels like we are still under Ole.

Amrabat has the passing ability but there seems to be doubts he has the energy levels
From the clips I saw from Amrabat he seems more like a younger Michael Carrick in terms of pace but with a bit more physicality.

I just don’t know how Ten Hag went from wanting De Jong to Mount, it makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.