Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s negligence of the highest order. If our transfer business is finished then so are our hopes for a top 4 finish.

100%

Typical summer after UCL qualification. Underinvestment in the squad safe in the knowledge to sponsorship money won't go down if we don't quality the next season.

Who would want the managers job at United…just seem 100% stress all the time.

You can’t go 90 minutes poor performance without morons calling for you to be sacked.
Very naive take. People who have careers where they're earning millions per year don't have stress-free relaxing jobs

Have we played well since our purple patch last season? When we beat Barca, Newcastle and City? February I think. So basically 6 months of shite since.

Pretty sure Mount was his first choice, if not, who else were we linked with?

Last year, Timber was his first choice. Thank god for lvg, saved us from a crock and we got Licha instead. Antony was his first choice, Malacia and Eriksen had his blessing.
Nobody, we couldn't afford anyone else. Antony's transfer was born out of necessity we had Sancho in a fragile mind state and nobody else to play there. Default to a player who knows your system hence the Timber, Martinez and FDJ transfers.

The fastest way to replicate what you have and success with is to copy it with the same players who you've already conditioned to your philosophy.

Kim min and Oshimen were who ETH wanted Holjund was never meant to be the leader of our front line and this media and fan base will chew him up so fast when they realise he's not ready for what we need him for.

He wants rid of Maguire, Mctominay, Fred and Donny but they simply don't generate the funds to buy players we need to replace and upgrade them. All of those combined maybe buy us Amrabat BUT even he isn't first choice, so we settle for less.

Please, no more square pegs in round holes. If we have to go into the market to get another striker, then so be it. If we have to go down to our youth teams to find another promising striker already at the club, on the cusp of breaking through, then so be it. But please, no more playing players out of position. It benefits nobody. All we're doing is shifting the problem, not solving it.
Apparently, I read somewhere ETH will only give youth a chance if they can definitely make it. Why Hugill can't make the bench I don't know.

I am not sure why he is looking to changw the style. We looked good last season and there was a lot of promise but this season 2 games in we look lost.

He didn't solve one thing which will not be solved even with new players. Our mentality when we are goal down is stil utter rubbish.

This is what I am concerned about. There seems a sense of dispondency amongst the players. Newcastle, Spurs, Villa, Brighton.. even Brentford ffs.. all these teams (players) and fans look like a: they know exactly what is expected of them and b: they are genuinely looking forward to the season.

None of our players, (aside maybe the keeper.....) seem to be clear on what they should be doing, the fans don't know what to expect, and none of the players look happy.

I hope they tear into each other this week, and if there is fall out, so be it. Because we will get dismantled by decent teams. Spurs won easily. Easily.

football is a simple game. you get best players to play in their best positions with inferior players play supporting roles. remember what Rio said about Fergie when we signed RvP? "You must find him. if you cant, you dont play". It means play your best players to their strength, as simple as that. no need to overcomplicated things, no need to make your life as man united manager harder. How can people judge Rashford and Bruno when they are being played out of position is beyond me. Will you blame Vinicius if he stopped scoring after Ancelotti shifted him to RW? Erik is making life harder for his players and himself.

And his team at Ajax played awesome football. They swarmed all over Madrid etc back in that CL run.

I’m not really sure what is going on so far because we did see games last season that fet like that. Spurs away in the first half when Fred played and the Barca tie in the EL.

It feels like to me that either we just need a goal to go in to get them going a bit or something else is needing to click. Nobody has started the season well and usually that means it’s the tactics/preperation not the players. If it’s one player whose off his game then that’s an individual responsibility.
They scored against wolves and were still shit.

You can’t go 90 minutes poor performance without morons calling for you to be sacked.
Is this a joke? I don't think ETH should be sacked, but United fans are by a distance the most patient in football (to a fault, really). The week before Moyes was sacked, he was still clapped off the pitch by most of OT. Same with Ole.

Hahahaha!!! Oh wait you’re being serious?

ETH’s ‘style’ was for the team to fumble around for 87mins and then hope that someone, anyone, would have a moment of magic to sneak a 1-0!

All the while he signed players that weren’t worth half of their transfer fees and left us with a toxic dressing room and a squad so devoid of depth and talent that it’ll take years to reset!

How do you know that ETH will leave us with "a squad so devoid of depth and talent that it’ll take years to reset"?

It has noting to do with pressure i agree but also i think it is far deeper than just the manager,

Remember Blockbuster video rental? That is United now, living on a reputation and previous market share with no new ideas or innovations, competing against the Netflix, Prime, Disney's of this world. We are a middle table team way overarching, we try to buy our way out of trouble but the people making those decisions are not qualified or anyway near the level of our competitors. I have heard countless times that United is too big to fall, that is fallacy, there is countless companies that thought the same in the past.

Our only real hope has always been new owners as that is where real change begins no matter who it may be, until that day we will have to endure unfortunately.
Exactly. I get what you mean. I think the fan base is somewhat to blame as well. All this back the manager nonsense should have been binned after the Moyes debacle. Real Madrid fans don’t take shit. But our fan base is happy to waste year after year backing useless managers. I’m not saying EtH is one of them but he has to answer for his ridiculous decision to buy Mount. He wanted the control over transfers he must be answerable.

Is this a joke? I don't think ETH should be sacked, but United fans are by a distance the most patient in football (to a fault, really). The week before Moyes was sacked, he was still clapped off the pitch by most of OT. Same with Ole.

No joke, not sure what was funny about me suggesting the United job was 100% stress?

In response to you totally separate point…I would say there is a HUGE difference between fans in the stadium and fans online.

If it doesn't work out for him and is sacked this season don't think the club will ever get back to pushing for top honours in short term.

Club will need to be sold for anything postive to happen.

What does that even mean?! How the feck can he predict that?!! :lol: :lol:
I know. It was a few months ago, and I think he may have actually been quoted to have said only world class potential. But I paraphrased to be charitable in case I am wrong.

Yes, unlike other big clubs where nothing of the such ever happens. That's before we even get to the fact that he's been handsomely rewarded, it's not like hes doing the club a favour. Furthermore, most of this is online anyway (which ETH won't see), the matchgoing fans that he interfaces directly with, still wholly back him. The utter tripe some of you post in trying to earn your top red badge.

If it doesn't work out for him and is sacked this season don't think the club will ever get back to pushing for top honours in short term.

So what do we do? Stick with him and watch him sabotage himself because he thinks he's a genius?

Rashford needs to play from the left. He’s useless as a centre forward. The trouble is I think he’s our first choice there this season. Hojlund will be eased in and will probably start a lot of games from the bench. Terrible planning from ETH and the DOF.

He’s not useless as a CF (although it’s obviously not his best position) but he isn’t a player you can just lump the ball up to and expect much from him. You need a team behind him who dominates possession to play him in when he makes those quick darting runs and who he can link up with playing 1-2s etc. We don’t have that control behind him and so he is struggling in that position.

We sign Onana (proactive ball playing sweeper keeper) and Martinez (diminutive but proactive ball playing center back). But if you look at the midfield signings it doesn't align with this Casemiro for all his qualities is no Busquet, Rodri or Carrick on the ball and Mount is a very English player (not built for possession football).
Klopp and Pep knew exactly what they were going for from day 1.If ETH isn't really clear about the direction he wants to go it will ultimately be his undoing.

Can't work out if the slow subs are lack of options off the bench or he is just too stubborn,also hate to say it but surely there was a cheaper RW than €100m last summer

So more of the same as now then ? As the last 10 years...

How much money do we have to spend for him to be considered backed? Even if he wasn't backed, look at what other managers do, they make their teams solid, they play well, they just lack an edge. We look in disrepair every time we step on a pitch.

He doesn't have Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs falling apart to hide behind this year. We will be well out of the races if he doesn't remember how to be coach.

I doubt it's on him. I doubt it was Solskjaer's call to make, either. Approaching it from different angles maybe, Solskjaer with his "back to the old days" routine and ETH with the stubbornness of someone who thinks he can make everything work, they both based everything on the premise that building a title-winning side around them is the way to go. Probably because the message from the higher-ups was that this is non-negotiable. The Glazers would never accept a few years in the wilderness with the promise of something better in the place of a side that will be in the CL 3/4 times in every 5 seasons. Don't know, it's a tough call to build everything from scratch, and the only two managers who have the credentials to do it are currently managing our fiercest rivals. It seems to working for Arsenal, though. Very tough call, but i certainly see your point.

It's not all on the managers for sure, the whole culture of giving managers everything they want is a big part.

Another big part is building an attacking system around two very low quality building blocks in Rashford and Bruno. Yeah they're capable of lots of world class moments but they're a net negative in any sort of possession and build up game.

Cannot believe he started Garnacho again either after the Wolves shambles. The stubbornness is scary and will cost him the job in the end.

We sign Onana (proactive ball playing sweeper keeper) and Martinez (diminutive but proactive ball playing center back). But if you look at the midfield signings it doesn't align with this Casemiro for all his qualities is no Busquet, Rodri or Carrick on the ball and Mount is a very English player (not built for possession football).
Klopp and Pep knew exactly what they were going for from day 1.If ETH isn't really clear about the direction he wants to go it will ultimately be his undoing.
Because he has never coached Casemiro and Mount before. He needs a DoF as he seems to know feck all when it comes to transfers

Yeah he hasn't spent well and it's worrying
He refuses to use the scouting department who must be finding gems all the time. They were aware of caceido and Hoijlund before their big club moves. Why aren't we signing these players before the likes of brighton and atalanta? The scouts are there for a reason.

Apparently, I read somewhere ETH will only give youth a chance if they can definitely make it. Why Hugill can't make the bench I don't know.
I'm extremely critical of ETH 's approach to recruitment this summer and setting his team so far this season, but Hugill's done nothing in his lower league appearances to suggest he can step up any time soon. Not sure about Sancho as a false 9 but he'd probably still work better if AM's out and RH still isn't fit, in allowing Rashford to operate from the left, compared to a player who neither has physique nor seemingly clever movement to compensate for it.

It has noting to do with pressure i agree but also i think it is far deeper than just the manager,

Remember Blockbuster video rental? That is United now, living on a reputation and previous market share with no new ideas or innovations, competing against the Netflix, Prime, Disney's of this world. We are a middle table team way overarching, we try to buy our way out of trouble but the people making those decisions are not qualified or anyway near the level of our competitors. I have heard countless times that United is too big to fall, that is fallacy, there is countless companies that thought the same in the past.

Our only real hope has always been new owners as that is where real change begins no matter who it may be, until that day we will have to endure unfortunately.

This is an interesting post... I was thinking along these lines during the game, that we have become a club with a tainted brand... we attract players who are no longer at their peak too often. There is a reason for that. Bayern do not. Real do not. Citeh do not. Liverpool do not. Arsenal do not. Chelsea do not. Now Newcastle, do not.
'
But we do?

Why, because that is what Man Utd Fc has become. And easy club to play for. An easy club to play against.

Lacking character, real character.

It's quite sad.

It's not all on the managers for sure, the whole culture of giving managers everything they want is a big part.

Another big part is building an attacking system around two very low quality building blocks in Rashford and Bruno. Yeah they're capable of lots of world class moments but they're a net negative in any sort of possession and build up game.

Cannot believe he started Garnacho again either after the Wolves shambles. The stubbornness is scary and will cost him the job in the end.
Then the answer is to build an attacking machine like Busby and Fergie. Get players who can keep the ball but also create chances and score a few thenselves, with determination and steel, to back them up. Rather than this square peg nonsense.

it's refreshing to hear people are beginning to call this man out. There has been a cult formed around this man where every decision he makes can't be questioned and every signing is followed by ''back the manager''

I get it fans are desperate to have a new fergie figurehead in charge, but top clubs don't give the manager all control over transfers and it's cost us dearly in the short and long term, overpaying for average players like antony or players who are past their peak Eriksen, Casimer or just on bang average fringe players like malacia. We're screaming out for a DOF

The only signing this man has got right is Martinez and Onana. Other than that it's been poor squad building/planning. For example signing mount is baffling we all know he's not going to transform any team, we have seen what he brings to England and Chelsea, moments and then goes missing/hiding. I said it before but he's merely an upgraded version of Jessie Lingard

Then we have the tactics, experimental changes like shifting bruno out wide, not being confident in playing rashford in a permanent role, Trying to shoehorn in 2 number 10s. Playing a high line but then having us play hoof ball counter attack reactionary football

Initially his plan was to have us play without a traditional cdm, as he wanted FDJ as a deep lying play maker. Casimero(who's legs are gone) just ended up being late panic buy signing suggested by the club which ended up working out for him in the short term. A bit like how getting martinez over timber worked out in the end by sheer circumstance of him not getting his first choice target.

Seeing him asissted by Steve Mclaren on the sideline fills me with no confidence that we have the right man in charge. He will keep the club steady while adding more deadwood but he will never ever reach the heights and feats of Klopp, Fergie, or pep, not in your wildest dreams

Barca sold their future out for short term success. City and Chelsea have a lot more money than we do. Of course it is a process if you operate with stricter finances. Chelsea it remains to be seen how they do now it in 5 years. You can't judge off an immediate season. But if you want to, last year we got 3rd and won a cup and made another final.
What barca did was irresponsible but in sick and perverted way there's something to admire about their urgency to get back on top.

Even if you subtract the oil clubs from the equation would you still say any big club throughout history would act the way we do and concern themselves with a mystical concept called the process? Certainly not bayern nor Madrid and Barcelona nor peak serie teams like milan and Juventus when they still weren't broke yet.

The way we seem to do it is just to be stranded in this never ending cycle of one more year will do it, so much so that we end up needing to replace several other core positions and it just never ends

I could see the point if we had an extremely young squad but we don't and several of our key world class players are towards the end of their peak, dilly dallying now will simply mean us having to replace them without having ever utilized them properly on a title run always waiting for the mystical moments that all pieces fall into place.

It's just wasteful.

Status
Not open for further replies.