Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think our fans would enjoy that. A strong/powerful DOF goes above the managers head.

For many of the folk in our fanbase, the manager is almost a father figure for them. Hero worshipping the managerial cult of personality if a big part of supporting this club - so a DOF who basically rules the roost, would make everyone uncomfortable.
I agree. A large part of the fanbase clings to this romantic ideal of a Busby/Ferguson type manager coming in and ruling the club for decades. It's not happening.

Yup. The coffers are empty now. The cost of backing him is that there's almost feck all left the next few seasons, unless we get a sugar daddy.
"Backing the manager" is the phrase which i don't want to hear ever again. More and more i am for philosophy used in Italy, Germany, Spain....where coach is only a coach and works with what he gets. He can say "yes" or "now" for some players and that is it.
No transition periods, no "rebuilding" and shit like that.

Not sure things will get bad to the point of sacking him but at the same time I'm not sure he's good enough to lead the team to challenging for the league either, definitely not with his transfers strategy. If Qatar take charge of United and we're still just a top 4 team at best, they'll probably sack him though.

It doesn’t matter what manager we get nothing will change until we get new owners who will change the culture and mindset of this club.

New owners will sack Ten Hag if he doesn't achieve fast success as I'm saying. United managers are lucky to have Glazers in charge because they're content with mediocrity and give them a lot of time.

Honestly if Eth is not the answer then I am not sure who is. Maybe we need to have the club cleansed of some voodoo. At this stage I have no idea what's going wrong with our team. We seem to have regressed after spending 150 million this summer.
What's wrong is this

Mount and Bruno aren't going to control the game for you
We have no real physical presence in midfield, still
Casemiro is supposed to be that presence but he's older now he can't keep up with physical powerhouses running through our mid
Rashford is not a number 9
Garnacho is 19 and extremely wasteful, still
Antony is a 20/30mill player, not 80 mill, who ETH seemingly won't drop despite offering very little
Martial is constantly injured
Sancho is just a shadow of his former self
The only other attackers we have are untested kids
Hojlund is still injured and a complete unknown currently

I like Mount but he wasn't the profile of player we should have gone for
Onana is terrific however and has improved is, his passing is unreal
Hojlund hasn't had a chance to do anything yet

Currently on fraud watch because I don't understand his decision making at all. Plays Sancho as a false nine nearly all pre-season but when he comes to the actual season he's either on the bench or Rashford is playing 9... so what was the point then?

I thought we would have a hard battle for 4th this year. Might be a hard battle for 7th

I have belief he is still good but I just can't ignore that we still have no distinct style of play - everything is just hope for the best style of football

Unless he turns it around miraculously like last season, he is getting sacked.

Should be way too early into the season but I honestly don't give a feck, count me in as an official ETH doubter. As far as I'm concerned, it's a matter of when he will get the sack and patiently waiting for it.

I still stand by it. Out of how many signings he's made, only two have been good. Martinez and Onana.

I've been saying it since last year. He can seemingly implement a promising system, but cannot personally identify the players required to take said system to the highest level. We need press resistant players and we haven't signed one. Not a single one despite hundreds of millions having been spent.

He will get the sack this season.

All of the signs before Ole and Jose were sacked have been here in the first two games.

It seems like he put all his eggs in the FDJ basket and had no backup plan.

We needed the player that Antony's highlight reel suggested he might be, but ETH should have known better than anyone what the reality of Antony was like. Antony is a worse signing for ETH than he would be for any other manager given the insight he should have had.

And the Mount signing was always a questionable signing. There's nothing in either his or the teams performances so far that have quelled those fears either.

Serious questions being asked of this guy now. We clearly don't play well as a team and often look like we don't have a plan.

How many years has Postecoglou been managing Spurs again? And how many 100m has he had to spend?

This won't be tolerated under serious ownership, he's wasted money on Antony and also Mount who was never good enough tbh, furthermore he's neglected the deepest need of all, a proven quality striker, it's absolutely not good enough and the book stops with the manager.

I've lost patience with him. There is no way Spurs play dross for 4/5 years and this guy from Celtic fixes a lot of it in 4/5 weeks whilst losing their best player.

The evidence looks like he isn't as good a coach as advertised. AWB has improved but I can't see it in anyone else.

Hitting long balls over the top against Spurs two games into the season, no control, second in every challenge. Another bill of goods sold to us by Ajax.

No tactics,no improvement and his signings are all turning to rubbish. It's the same old cycle.

We have started pretty much exactly like how we did last season in terms of performances. Just that Wolves didn't punish us and Spurs are still in the early stages of a rebuild themselves. We have been there for the taking.
The Mount experiment will be his downfall.

I am genuinely starting to feel it's a coaching issue at this stage. When players cannot pass or retain the ball while teams on a fraction of our budget do it much easily, it has to point to the manager and coaching staff.

It has to be.ETH cannot play this midfield and except top 4.

Last season Casemiro got him out of a hole. This season he's been terrible...

... who's going to step up this season?

Does deserve criticism, second season in a new league decides to implement a totally new system and purchase players for that system without even using it in a competitive game. People can blast the quality of the players but it feels the issues are mostly tactical.

It seems like he put all his eggs in the FDJ basket and had no backup plan.

We needed the player that Antony's highlight reel suggested he might be, but ETH should have known better than anyone what the reality of Antony was like. Antony is a worse signing for ETH than he would be for any other manager given the insight he should have had.

And the Mount signing was always a questionable signing. There's nothing in either his or the teams performances so far that have quelled those fears either.

:lol:

The most underwhelming highlight real of an attacker

There’s been a constant across all our managers :The players just jog back.

It’s something I could never really understand, how can the players just jog back when the other team is attacking.

I've lost patience with him. There is no way Spurs play dross for 4/5 years and this guy from Celtic fixes a lot of it in 4/5 weeks whilst losing their best player.

The evidence looks like he isn't as good a coach as advertised. AWB has improved but I can't see it in anyone else.

Hitting long balls over the top against Spurs two games into the season, no control, second in every challenge. Another bill of goods sold to us by Ajax.
Yep. We haven't improved away from home after a whole year and 400m spent. We are going nowhere fast under him.

Zero progress from last season. We've regressed if anything.

No patterns of play or style, just hit and hope individual football. Future looking bleak.

Status
Not open for further replies.