English cricket thread

Very much doubt that , he is at a age where you never know how long you have left , age catches up with everybody no matter how good you are .

I heard the same about Cook as well .

I'm thinking a huge triple ton this innings and a 50 to win England the game this test match. And 400 in the other matches. He'll have fewer than 2000 to chase in the next few years. Bring on Namibia.

This reminds me of a game in the last tour to Pakistan where it looked like a high scoring draw, but England managed to get 10 wickets on the last day with some inventive field placements. If England can bat to 650+ then it's possible.

Bat until tea tomorrow should give a lead of 250 then try to bowl them out in 4 sessions?

England should declare with 5 overs remaining today so they can get Pak bowlers out tomorrow and then chase down whatever on day 5. Another chance for Root to get another 100

Bat until tea tomorrow should give a lead of 250 then try to bowl them out in 4 sessions?
You’re giving them a great chance to draw by doing that. I’m sure England would rather get them out and chase if needed. You can force a result batting, but not much you can do as the bowling team.

This reminds me of a game in the last tour to Pakistan where it looked like a high scoring draw, but England managed to get 10 wickets on the last day with some inventive field placements. If England can bat to 650+ then it's possible.
Screw that. England should be looking at scoring 1,000 runs here. There wont be another opportunity like this.

Screw that. England should be looking at scoring 1,000 runs here. There wont be another opportunity like this.

:lol:

I suppose they could write off a result and just let Joe bat long enough to break the world record! What's he need, 401?

Yeah it’s poor given the opposition. You might as well give Brook the chance to get himself out while there’s runs to defend.

Pakistan are looking at a deficit by the end of the day at this rate.
Pleasently surprised by Brook showing application

I think any overs a team is short at the end of the day should all be free hits.

Spinners only, keep bowling at the end of the day until you've completed your overs and wickets don't count.

Shaheen Afridi's gone to pot. Lack of proper effort? Completely different bowler. Ahhh the pitch and one man and his dog in the stands. England's game this.

Never the same since he was rushed back from injury in late 2022. It was clear as day for everyone to see he played the whole tournament at 60-70% fitness and has been fecked since then.

That's what I think. You don't want to have to bat again really.
I thin the only two ways to get a result are:
  1. Declare basically now, bowl them out and chase whatever is set in the time. This lets them bat on day 4 and brings in a possible chase on day 5, which is a bit risky but gives you more time to bowl them out and bat at the pace you need to win. I think the bowlers would prefer another half day's rest tbh.
  2. Build a lead on day 4 and have them chase on day 5, but this would likely limit the time to bowl them out.

Go full Bazball for 1 and a half sessions, get 200 runs, 4 and a half sessions to bowl them out.

Pray for pitch deterioration.

1. Declare basically now, bowl them out and chase whatever is set in the time. This lets them bat on day 4 and brings in a possible chase on day 5, which is a bit risky but gives you more time to bowl them out and bat at the pace you need to win. I think the bowlers would prefer another half day's rest tbh.
  2. Build a lead on day 4 and have them chase on day 5, but this would likely limit the time to bowl them out.

I think the pitch will need to deteriorate a lot more for a chance to bowl them out therefore it would be pointless putting them in now while the pitch still seems to be good.

Yeah option 1 is not a thing. It relies on Pakistan actually going for the win and/or your bowlers being amazing. Much better chance if you just feck the pitch up and Traveller their team out carting it round the field for a bit and then try to get them to chase 220+.

England should aim to bat another 60 overs - keep Pakistan toiling in the hottest part of the day - if they score at say 5 an over, they will have a lead of around 250. Then they can have a session before close when it’s cooler and get some doubt into the Pakistan batters. England are relying on some sudden pitch deterioration and well Pakistan going full Pakistan, both of these things can happen.

Both teams should also have the tight schedule in mind for the rest of this test. Not much value in killing your bowlers on dead pitches, take it deep, see if the pitch deteriorates, if it doesn’t bag the draw and keep people fresh it might pay off later in the series. In these type of conditions I’d be tempted to sit Stokes out completely, he certainly can’t bowl and the only angle I can justify for him is him coming for Duckett as an opener if Duckett’s thumb is too much of a risk to play more tests. Chucking someone fresh off a hamstring tear into these conditions does not seem very smart.

This also brings me onto England’s rubbish squad planning in recent months. Sending Jimmy into early retirement to end up playing Woakes here, not integrating an opener to cover Crawley vs Sri Lanka and then potentially ending up with another makeshift opener for this series, not getting a replacement in for Hull whilst Olly Stone has an entire wedding before the next test! Rubbish.

I think England need to shift the vice captaincy onto Brook going forward too.

Last edited:
England should aim to bat another 60 overs - keep Pakistan toiling in the hottest part of the day - if they score at say 5 an over, they will have a lead of around 250. Then they can have a session before close when it’s cooler and get some doubt into the Pakistan batters. England are relying on some sudden pitch deterioration and well Pakistan going full Pakistan, both of these things can happen.

Both teams should also have the tight schedule in mind for the rest of this test. Not much value in killing your bowlers on dead pitches, take it deep, see if the pitch deteriorates, if it doesn’t bag the draw and keep people fresh it might pay off later in the series. In these type of conditions I’d be tempted to sit Stokes out completely, he certainly can’t bowl and the only angle I can justify for him is him coming for Duckett as an opener if Duckett’s thumb is too much of a risk to play more tests. Chucking someone fresh off a hamstring tear into these conditions does not seem very smart.

This also brings me onto England’s rubbish squad planning in recent months. Sending Jimmy into early retirement to end up playing Woakes here, not integrating an opener to cover Crawley vs Sri Lanka and then potentially ending up with another makeshift opener for this series, not getting a replacement in for Hull whilst Olly Stone has an entire wedding before the next test! Rubbish.

I think England need to shift the vice captaincy onto Brook going forward too.

I've made my comments known on the Hull and Stone situations, utterly ridiculous. I think Woakes is playing as the all rounder and there is a chance he wouldn't play if Stokes was fit. The selectors hoped Lawrence would cement his place opening but he didn't and yeah they should have taken another opener as cover. Duckett was batting fine today so hopefully he is ok for the next match.

I think the heat killing the bowlers was also one of the reasons the batters showed a bit more application today, they just didn't want to make a fast 400 and be bowling again today. Win is still vsry unlikely and most likely it will be stat padding for next couple of days

I've made my comments known on the Hull and Stone situations, utterly ridiculous. I think Woakes is playing as the all rounder and there is a chance he wouldn't play if Stokes was fit. The selectors hoped Lawrence would cement his place opening but he didn't and yeah they should have taken another opener as cover. Duckett was batting fine today so hopefully he is ok for the next match.

The selectors never considered Lawrence a viable opener. It was a sympathy selection for hooking him around as middle order cover for years and the only spot coming up was opener in a series they knew we would win with our eyes closed.

If this ends up being just a batting paradise until the end of day 5, what does the pitch get rated as?

Is there a “poor” rating for docile road like pitches?

The selectors never considered Lawrence a viable opener. It was a sympathy selection for hooking him around as middle order cover for years and the only spot coming up was opener in a series they knew we would win with our eyes closed.

I think there’s always some logic in their selections but I think their logic is starting to become increasingly flawed. Picking someone on sympathy and inadvertently killing their test career in the process is just bad. I also suspect they didn’t pick a more legitimate candidate because they didn’t want anyone in the top 3 to feel under threat, again I understand this logic because there’s a lot of noise around Pope but is this really how you want to run a high performing team?

They talk about building for the future and you think with Smith, Bashir and Atkinson ok, maybe they’re serious and then you see daft stuff like Lawrence opening, Josh Hull making a test debut well before he can handle the loads of test cricket and Chris Woakes bowling in Pakistan and it just feels muddled.

I know injuries have impacted them a lot in the last 4 tests but they really need to tighten up if they’ve got any designs on being the type of test unit that can win in Australia.

Yeah option 1 is not a thing. It relies on Pakistan actually going for the win and/or your bowlers being amazing. Much better chance if you just feck the pitch up and Traveller their team out carting it round the field for a bit and then try to get them to chase 220+.
It doesn’t though, it relies on England bowling them out. Pakistan weren’t going for anything but a draw since yesterday tea time.

I think the pitch will need to deteriorate a lot more for a chance to bowl them out therefore it would be pointless putting them in now while the pitch still seems to be good.
It wouldn’t have been pointless. For England to win they have to get more runs than Pakistan and bowl them out twice. The second part is by far the hardest thing on this pitch. Option 1 gave them the most time to do this and England would back themselves with a 50 over chase needing 5 or 6 an over. It was by far the most aggressive option and we know the Stokes/McCullum axis loves those.

Last edited:
Brilliant 200 up for Brook, proper talent ….pity it had to be in an empty ground

It wouldn’t have been pointless. For England to win they have to get more runs than Pakistan and bowl them out twice. The second part is by far the hardest thing on this pitch. Option 1 have them the most time to do this and England would back themselves with a 50 over chase needing 5 or 6 an over. It was by far the most aggressive option and we know the Stokes/McCullum loves those.
The problem is you don’t know how bad the pitch will get so going at 5 or 6 an over on that would be difficult. In addition, the bowlers have got more of a test before they bowl again.

When was the last time England played an innings anything like this?
Maybe Adelaide 2010, or Edgbaston against India 2011 when Cook got 294... or if those don't seem quite dominant enough then Lords against India in 1990 when Gooch got 333.

This has surpassed all of those in terms of bat dominating ball though.

England adding 166 runs in this session and you feel they are just cantering along and are already quite a bit ahead. If they are allowed to put the accelerator on, the lead could be massive.

Last edited: