English cricket thread

Not ideal for Woakes to continue at 7 but having Carse there as well means it's not quite as bad as the Sri Lanka series. Surprised he's been listed below Atkinson actually.
Carse will still come in at 8, I think. Probably just a guesstimate. Beeb has Carse at 8.

To be honest, there's not a great deal of difference between Carse and Woakes batting-wise, even if Woakes has the better record over the course of his career, he's not really a batsman these days.

Apparently this is the third time an opposition has scored 500 runs against bazball, the last previous two times England won that match.

Apparently this is the third time an opposition has scored 500 runs against bazball, the last previous two times England won that match.

Probably both on the last tour of Pakistan?

England flying along now at 217-2. I suspect they will Bazball themselves to 400 all out. Really need them to be calculated and push on to 600+ and put a little pressure on Pakistan in day 4+5.

England flying along now at 217-2. I suspect they will Bazball themselves to 400 all out. Really need them to be calculated and push on to 600+ and put a little pressure on Pakistan in day 4+5.
They’re not really taking any risks to score at 5.5 an over during that session. The only chances they’ve given Pakistan have been LBW. It’s been pretty much the perfect session bar Crawley mistiming one.

They might go out after lunch and try to whack it around, but no real signs of that at the moment.

Fully expecting Root to score a boatload of runs in Australia next time out to shut everyone up. The man is unreal.

Fully expecting Root to score a boatload of runs in Australia next time out to shut everyone up. The man is unreal.

England should have an excellent batting line up for that tour - the bowling, hmm, maybe.

They need to try and get Archer fit. Stokes, Archer, Atkinson, Stone and a spinner would be a decent attack with others there as backups.

That's four straight up and down 85mph - 90 mph right armers. We'll need more variety than that.

Proper flatdeck. To be fair, it's always the case in Pakistan. Imagine being a bowler....
This was from day one.
Soham Sarkhel
CricViz analyst

This pitch currently has a PitchViz rating of 1.6 which makes it the joint-second-flattest day one pitch in the ball-tracking era.

PitchViz gives a rating out of 10, the higher the PitchViz number, the harder it is to bat.

That's four straight up and down 85mph - 90 mph right armers. We'll need more variety than that.

Pace will be important. It was last time they won. Stokes get's to swing it more than the others. Atkinson also does that as well. You've got Potts in the mix as well. If Hull is firing as well then he would become an option.

Pace will be important. It was last time they won. Stokes get's to swing it more than the others. Atkinson also does that as well. You've got Potts in the mix as well. If Hull is firing as well then he would become an option.

Hull has never fired in his career so far so that's asking alot!

Potts will hopefully get another run in NZ this winter. I still think we should be looking at Topley if he can get a run of fitness, clearly they like Carse.

I can't see Stokes swinging a ball much down under, and I dont think I've ever seen Gus move it.

Pace is good, but it's express pace that will hurt Aus there - only really Archer capable of sustained 90mph+

Hull has never fired in his career so far so that's asking alot!

Potts will hopefully get another run in NZ this winter. I still think we should be looking at Topley if he can get a run of fitness, clearly they like Carse.

I can't see Stokes swinging a ball much down under, and I dont think I've ever seen Gus move it.

Pace is good, but it's express pace that will hurt Aus there - only really Archer capable of sustained 90mph+

Can't see Topley coming in as he doesn't seem to be in the equation at the moment. Hopefully some can come to the fore in NZ this winter. Definitely could do with a left armer with all of the right armers in there and the spinner will be important as well.

They need to try and get Archer fit. Stokes, Archer, Atkinson, Stone and a spinner would be a decent attack with others there as backups.
Mark Wood will be key. Hopefully he can manage his fitness through the summer.

I think we’ll see a fair bit of rotation for the quicks in Australia, depending on how long the matches are. Archer and Wood can hopefully manage three tests each.

Pakistan bowling like England have 700 not 300 on the board. Abrar has been bowling a negative line for the last 2 hours

Pakistan bowling like England have 700 not 300 on the board. Abrar has been bowling a negative line for the last 2 hours
Yeah it’s poor given the opposition. You might as well give Brook the chance to get himself out while there’s runs to defend.

Pakistan are looking at a deficit by the end of the day at this rate.

Shaheen Afridi's gone to pot. Lack of proper effort? Completely different bowler. Ahhh the pitch and one man and his dog in the stands. England's game this.

Whats the gameplan here? Bat to tea or so in day 4 get a lead and try to bowl them out without having to bat again?

Or get level, try to bowl them out and chase?

He’s about 2k+ runs and maybe 10+ centuries behind Tendulkar. Will be difficult to beat that - unless he plays another 10 tests in Pakistan. :lol:

He's not planning to retire soon. Another three year perhaps and a few Tests against shite teams on flat decks.

He'll pummel Tendulkar's record.
Very much doubt that , he is at a age where you never know how long you have left , age catches up with everybody no matter how good you are .

I heard the same about Cook as well .

Whats the gameplan here? Bat to tea or so in day 4 get a lead and try to bowl them out without having to bat again?

Or get level, try to bowl them out and chase?
Probably put their foot down once they’ve seen off the new ball and bat until lunch. If they can, it makes sense to pile on the runs now rather than wait till we’re in day 5 because you never know what will happen with the pitch