English cricket thread

Surprised we have any sort of game today at Bristol. It looks like the rain is due after 5pm, so the Aussie’s are massive favourites batting second.

Not sure if Archer has picked up a niggle, seems strange to rest him for a decider.

Surprised we have any sort of game today at Bristol. It looks like the rain is due after 5pm, so the Aussie’s are massive favourites batting second.

Not sure if Archer has picked up a niggle, seems strange to rest him for a decider.

Fairly sure he is rested, played two in a row - he should be wrapped in cotton wool.

I'm sure we want to win but also if we lose the cricketing world will have forgotten by tmrw. Weird series.

Fairly sure he is rested, played two in a row - he should be wrapped in cotton wool.

I'm sure we want to win but also if we lose the cricketing world will have forgotten by tmrw. Weird series.
I guess so. He’s still an absolute mile off test cricket if he can’t manage 30 overs in five days though.

I don't really get the rationale. The Aussies come over here in Autumn to play a bunch of ODIs, what's the point?

Cricket is a total mess at the moment. A travesty there is not a governing body to grab hold of it.

Even the WTC has drifted into further irrelevance rather than grown as it hinted at doing a year or two ago.

I don't really get the rationale. The Aussies come over here in Autumn to play a bunch of ODIs, what's the point?
Touring teams doing an ODI series leading into the test series was pretty good. Now they seem to offset the series, so the Ashes one year and then the ODI series a year later which then feels a bit random. That Tri Series between Australia/England/Bangladesh in 2005 was ace.

England might be lucky to see 40 overs here. Real poor situational awareness. 5 down 17 overs left don't need to go hell for leather. Build a partnership for 7 to 10 overs

England might be lucky to see 40 overs here. Real poor situational awareness. 5 down 17 overs left don't need to go hell for leather. Build a partnership for 7 to 10 overs

Just a ridiculous collapse, started by that shot by Brook who had already taken plenty from the over. 36-4 since then. Just thrown away all of the momentum, no use of brains or playing the current match situation whatsoever.

It's clear most of the players don't have the know-how for pacing a 50 over innings, which is exactly why I'm glad we're playing this ODI series. The players don't play anywhere near enough 50 over cricket, and these matches should prove to be valuable learning experiences.

It's clear most of the players don't have the know-how for pacing a 50 over innings, which is exactly why I'm glad we're playing this ODI series. The players don't play anywhere near enough 50 over cricket, and these matches should prove to be valuable learning experiences.
I'm all for playing ODI's I'd just like to play someone other than Australia for a change.

How have we ended up with a tail that can’t bat at all. All too shit to even have a swing.

Nice stuff from Rashid. I do wonder if the forecast affected England a bit. It's hard to take a game seriously when you know it's highly unlikely to be completed.

Nice stuff from Rashid. I do wonder if the forecast affected England a bit. It's hard to take a game seriously when you know it's highly unlikely to be completed.

Honestly think its the inability of England's middle order to play spin. Probably why Root and Stokes are still essential.

There’s a chance they get to 20 overs. Especially if England hadn’t been able to bat out the last 10 overs.

It really is pathetic stuff considering the situation they were in. No use of the brain whatsoever. Just shows how desperate we need experienced players like Buttler, Root and Stokes in there.
Smith and Livingstone were the killer wickets and neither got out playing big shots.

They just couldn’t adapt to the situation. Brook’s silly shot started it all.
You can’t blame a player who scored 72 off 50 odd, with the score at 202-2 for going for it with small boundaries. England needed a big score to even be competitive on DLS.

It's kind of weird how ODIs are 300+ slugfests regularly in bilaterals but the World Cups seem to go back to scores about 20 years ago..

You can’t blame a player who scored 72 off 50 odd, with the score at 202-2 for going for it with small boundaries. England needed a big score to even be competitive on DLS.
No I can’t but he had already taken plenty of the over. However you are right that you can’t blame him. The others however didn’t adapt to the situation where they could have got themselves in as we already had a healthy run rate.

No I can’t but he had already taken plenty of the over. However you are right that you can’t blame him. The others however didn’t adapt to the situation where they could have got themselves in as we already had a healthy run rate.
I don’t think players view it over by over now, if the ball is there, they will hit. Doesn’t matter if it’s the 120th or 121st ball of the innings. Smith and Livingstone didn’t have a chance to adapt to the situation. One got bowled trying to play a defensive shot and the other edged a cut. It happens and the tail is too long, I’m not really reading more into it than that.

Jafer Chohan selected for the ODI/T20 series in the West Indies which starts at the end of the month.

Squad: Jos Buttler (captain), Jofra Archer, Jacob Bethell, Jafer Chohan, Sam Curran, Will Jacks, Liam Livingstone, Saqib Mahmood, Dan Mousley, Jamie Overton, Adil Rashid, Phil Salt, Reece Topley, John Turner.

2 players will be added after selection for the 3rd Pakistan Test.

Are Pakistan any good these days? I feel like the median Pakistan side of this century probably batters that lot. Not sure what I would've done differently with selection, I guess I would've had a close look at Dawson.

Also, in my capacity as the number one hater of Jamie Smith's glovework, I must of course predict this is the series it becomes very clear he's not quite there with it yet.

Not ideal for Woakes to continue at 7 but having Carse there as well means it's not quite as bad as the Sri Lanka series. Surprised he's been listed below Atkinson actually.

Surprised that they're not bowling Leach there. Leach is quite defensive and gives England control usually.

This looks like a flat wicket, Masood is batting beautifully.

England are a shell of the team under Pope than the team they are under Stokes. Not unexpected but if Stokes isn’t fit for the next one I think they will lose this series.

Surprised that they're not bowling Leach there. Leach is quite defensive and gives England control usually.

This looks like a flat wicket, Masood is batting beautifully.

On now. Just bewildering seeing Woakes bowling here.

Bashir 6 overs 42
Leach 3 overs 4

Was just very puzzling captaincy to bring on and then give Bashir a spell in first session whilst ignoring Leach who I think is a better bowler.

On now. Just bewildering seeing Woakes bowling here.
I don’t know how I missed Leach being back in the team when the squad was announced. Definitely some strange management of players in the last twelve months.

Surely the Woakes selection is a case of him being given one more chance overseas to rectify his record. Obviously there's plenty of time left in the game, and maybe he'll even get another game or two in the series, but it feels like this match/series could end the idea about taking him to Australia.

There's other options now for #8 with Atkinson, Carse, outside chance even J. Overton. Problem is if Stokes isn't in the team or fit to bowl, there's no obvious replacement to bat at #6 or #7.

Good last session there from England. Would have been easy to let the game get away from them but they managed to reduce the run-rate and pick up 3 wickets. CricViz analysis has this pitch with a rating of 1.6 which is apparently the second flattest day one pitch in the ball-tracking era.