England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't catch the game but there's an inevitability about Southgate sneaking past lesser opposition by the skin of his teeth.

He's quite obviously a shit manager but he's undoubtedly fostered a togetherness with this team which is enough to scrape by Serbia/Slovakia/Switzerland etc. Yes he's lucky but you can only beat what's in front of you.

They should tell Kane to stay up top instead of dropping deep. It’s infuriating. Why hasn’t the manager told him that and get people close to him.

Trouble with him up top is he just can't run anymore. Not pressing the CBs and pointless just knocking balls over the top.

He took a few knocks in extra time and then had that collision going into the dugout so he'll be struggling for Wednesday but guy who hasn't won anything isn't withdrawing from a SF unless it's a broken bone.

Didn't catch the game but there's an inevitability about Southgate sneaking past lesser opposition by the skin of his teeth.

He's quite obviously a shit manager but he's undoubtedly fostered a togetherness with this team which is enough to scrape by Serbia/Slovakia/Switzerland etc. Yes he's lucky but you can only beat what's in front of you.

If they get to another final, history will view him as a great manager.
But we will know the truth.

England certainly getting to the final if they're facing Turkey.

1-0 up.

Serbia, Slovenia, Denmark, Slovakia, Switzerland and Turkey

Has any team ever had an easier route to the final?

Can't remember a team thats felt so detached from their supporters. 2 players cupping their ears at own fans in a shootout. They're a decent squad of players with few idiots and have put up with some shocking support.

England scumming their way to the title causing the biggest meltdown possible is the timeline I choose, please!

It’s like watching United tbh. Most of the fans negative and depressive almost wanting the team to lose. Absolutely hilarious when we end up winning :lol:

Pretty much
Yes but better. Fitness levels look better across the team. If you actually had a left wing you'd have probably played well and won comfortably
Thanks for the replies! Like I said, I only caught the second half of extra time and the pens, and they looked the better team. They could've won it there if I think the RB had more composure.

You mention the left side, gio, and hopefully Shaw returning will be a game changer. Great to see him back. I also need to pop into Mainoo's thread to read how he did.

Definite improvement today - there was a hint of a midfield. Foden getting a bit of stick but his movement in the middle of the pitch and begging for the ball in tight spaces today was most of the reason it looked better. I don't think he's should be dropped.

I thought we immediately looked vastly better with Shaw on - will those extra minutes in his legs have him ready for a starting spot for the semis? I would be much more confident about the semi final with him on and trippier benched.

It's still not quite clicking but in places today you could see what the team might be capable of. More time on the pitch with each other can only be a good thing too. Still possible we improve just enough each game to take it all the way - or thats what I'm going to delude myself into thinking for now.

As I've said again and again, Saka is the best attacker we've got, utter madness people calling for him to be benched. Meanwhile Foden that has done absolutely nothing in an England shirt has a PR machine that is frankly a marvel.

Surprised how bad England set pieces have been in this tournament compared to other ones under Southgate. It can't just be down to no Maguire surely?

Anyway this is certainly a weak point for Holland, they don't defend them well as a unit.

Holland will give them a good game, it will force Southgate out of his comfort zone.

Surprised how bad England set pieces have been in this tournament compared to other ones under Southgate. It can't just be down to no Maguire surely?

Anyway this is certainly a weak point for Holland, they don't defend them well as a unit.
Their defence is massive, and to be fair VvD does win a fair few but yeah, it has been a bit of surprise they've not been more solid.

Feel like Netherlands might actually be a better matchup for England.

Turkey aren't anything special but they bring pressing, aggression and elite set-piece ability. Even the hostile fans.

I don't really see the Netherlands having many real weapons. Basically England with lower individual quality.

Id start him. Looked good today when he came on.
I think I would, too. He's brilliant. I just wonder how many minutes he has in him. I'd assume a full 90 would be too much too soon but I dunno.

Palmer really should be coming in for Foden. Outside of a few moments of good ball winning that Foden did, Palmer looked much more positive than Foden did

Listening to the Pundits talk about how we just don’t appreciate what Kane brought to the game because he occupying 3 defenders … whaaaa? What 3 defenders?

If an opposing player runs through his general vicinity on his way to deal with a real threat, that does not mean that Kane is “occupying” him.

They can’t actually believe half of this stuff coming out their mouths can they?

England did well to win playing with only 10 men.

Kane really, really needs to be dropped, he's just non existent for England in this competition.

Nice to see Shaw get some playing time and looked good as well.

Didn't find the the England game particularly enjoyable. Lots of people raving about the 'changes' and improved performance but it looked to me like we still don't have a style of play or any consistent cohesion. Saka stood out among the forwards, most of whom I'd score 5/10 at best. Still pissed off at Safegate's reactive subs, but I think everything that happened today will reinforce his belief that he's doing things the right way, ie next game he'll pick the same 10 or 11 players, he'll look to keep it 0-0 and bide his time knowing we have the fitness and belief to go into ET and even win on pens. Really cannot see him making any positive changes and setting up to beat Holland in 90 mins.

Id start him. Looked good today when he came on.

Little chance he'd last 90/120 minutes so Trippier would still be needed and would be a waste of a sub if losing the game. Probably would be TAA coming on and Walker going to the left side.

Nah netherlands have much better quality technically.

What the Dutch do have is pace in the final third so that will test England alone.

Their winner tonight was exactly the way Swiss opened up England so they have to set up to attack the left hand side of England's backline which has had a relatively easy ride so far but can be exposed badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.