England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a bit unfair taking penalties against a keeper under 4ft tall.

France vs England final looks like destiny at this moment. England were waaaaay better today and still weren't that good and France have been appalling for the most part.

Don't want to jinx this for later or anything but...

We look really good at penalties :wenger::wenger:

i missed the game. Only caught the second half of extra time. How did we play? The usual?
Yes but better. Fitness levels look better across the team. If you actually had a left wing you'd have probably played well and won comfortably

Southgate does not like rotation and now with back to back extra times, surely a lot of that starting XI is going to be somewhat fecked for the next game?

LB area will be an issue next game if it's the Netherlands.

Felt nothing going through with this fraud in charge. We've got no chance of winning so what's the point.

I will give some rare southgate praise, though. Two pen wins under him and getting rid of that bogey man is huge for future england teams. No longer will be weighing them down.

Was 2004 the last time England played good and exiting football at a major tournament or am I being too harsh?

No one looks great.
We have a great chance to bring it home.

Spain beating Germany in their backyard and dominating a tricky group is a good enough level.

I think they'll edge out France although losing Carvajal late on will be an issue with Mbappe on that side.

Spain beating Germany in their backyard and dominating a tricky group is a good enough level.

I think they'll edge out France although losing Carvajal late on will be an issue with Mbappe on that side.

France is fantastic defensively but they basically have 0 ideas in the final third without Pogba and Benzema to compliment Mbappe, who's been poor himself.

Watching that team now I think Deschamps screwed up leaving Olise and Gusto out as options off the bench. Thuram and Kolo Muani have offered literally nothing.

Palmer in for Foden. Don’t care where. Give Mainoo both him and Saka to play actual football through. They won’t sacrifice the human handicap that is Harry Kane right now, so this is the only shot they have to up their levels next match.

England are really scary if playing them on penalties. I am pretty sure they can't lose on penalties this summer, even if they play them both in semifinals and finals. So anyone looking to beat them will have to do it earlier.

Foden and kane were both diabolical. We know it doesn't matter and they will start next game, but still worth saying.

Foden needs to be dropped. I can't remember him ever having a good game for England. He does not deserve to play anywhere near as much as he does.

Kane was also really bad as well.

Kane and Foden really need to be dropped for Watkins/Toney and Palmer but obviously it won't happen.

I think England still has a chance even with this team if they can avoid Spain.

Was infuriating how for 15 mins Switzerland were getting ascendancy and we were crying out for changes but Sir Gareth waited until we conceded. Stuff like that is why he's a shocker of a manager.

But he's a very very very lucky one and I'll take that. Today was slightly better overall. Still not great, Trippier was very poor on that left, that element didn't work for me and Shaw has to come in. The structure was better overall and with that change it should be more balanced.

It’s written in the stars… I have actually put some money on it as well now.

Right formation but wrong selections. The pressing was better in the first half. Either Gordon or TAA should have played for Trippier. The subs should have been made way earlier around 60 mins. Southgate dithering as usual. Then he brings on Eze and Gordon still on the bench. The guy is so negative. No prosctiveness whatsoever. If Switzerland finished those chances in extra time, we would have been out. Scraping through but can’t see us beating France or Spain.

Palmer in for Foden. Don’t care where. Give Mainoo both him and Saka to play actual football through. They won’t sacrifice the human handicap that is Harry Kane right now, so this is the only shot they have to up their levels next match.

They should tell Kane to stay up top instead of dropping deep. It’s infuriating. Why hasn’t the manager told him that and get people close to him.

The really interesting/odd thing about this squad is that the younger players seem to be the mentally tougher, more confident members of the team. Not all of them of course, some look melted in international spotlight and out of their comfort zone. But Mainoo, Saka, Palmer and Bellingham (and to be fair, when he’s had the rare chance to come on Gordon) are the ones trying to set the standard of play

I know they are essentially committed to playing Kane …. But the legs are gone. I’m not sure even HE thinks he should be out there at times.

Maybe they could say he has a strained hamstring or something? I’m convinced they play to a tempo Kane can handle. Let the kids play; set em free.

They should tell Kane to stay up top instead of dropping deep. It’s infuriating. Why hasn’t the manager told him that and get people close to him.
He looks ineffective all over the pitch at the moment. Pressing is laboured or non existent, bad coming short, bad at stretching defenders, useless in physical contact. His tournament has been one moment. A pretty good one but surely disappointing overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.