England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Football is coming home!

How come Saka gets to redeem himself but Rashford isn't asked to go and represent England?

You make good points but I think it'll be different here because we know he actually likes Shaw. We know how he is when it comes to his favourites and, fortunately this time, Shaw seems to be in that category.

I just find it funny how our roles have changed here with me somewhat defending him and you criticising him! :lol:
I find it poetic that he was actually good through the previous 3 tournaments and you decided that he was actually crap and the reason you didn't win - which is still delusional bullshit, btw - , and now you're gonna win these euros, in which he's actually been crap and should have been the reason you went out...

International football is basically a dice game. You roll 'em and hope you're lucky. And also defence and set pieces

I don’t think Pickford has done much wrong this tournament. His distribution could be better but apart from that he’s been pretty flawless throughout.

It's genuinely hilarious still how much people underrate Pickford.

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant the Sterling of old. I'm not saying he would've made a positive impact as he is now (though I'm only going off what I hear everyone say as I don't watch Chelsea) but that we're really missing what he used to bring to the team. Kane got all the plaudits but Sterling was always as good as him for us, in my opinion. They really worked well together.

I've said it before on Rashford but I would've brought him for two reasons. One, he's a big game player and is capable of creating game changing moments. Two, before the '22 World Cup, he was in poor form for us there, too, but actually ended up being our player of the tournament and coming back here in electric form. I get why he wasn't brought, and why the majority don't think he deserved the call, but he was worth the risk for me.

I agree with you about Shaw and Gordon.
Sterling was great for England. His goals were carrying us at the last Euros. Never really got the respect he deserved.

I get the why many people would have taken Rashford. Southgate almost certainly would have been criticised for taking a player that had a terrible season over others that out performed him. He's already accused of having favourites. I fully support taking the players that are in better form. Especially since we were spoilt for choice in the forward department. Everybody that got picked had a great season.

If we were able to make it to a final against Spain, Rashford would have been a great asset to have, though. When he's on it, there are very few better than him during transitions.

It's genuinely hilarious still how much people underrated Pickford.
He has basically never let England down, but there is still something about him that makes me not fully trust him. I don't really understand why. I realise at this point that it's a me problem.

I find it poetic that he was actually good through the previous 3 tournaments and you decided that he was actually crap and the reason you didn't win - which is still delusional bullshit, btw - , and now you're gonna win these euros, in which he's actually been crap and should have been the reason you went out...

International football is basically a dice game. You roll 'em and hope you're lucky. And also defence and set pieces
He absolutely wasn't good through the last three tournaments though.

Foden is England's best player

Foden is a better footballer than Saka.

There is no way Saka is better than Foden. What have you been smoking.

Saka ahead of Foden? That debate has been ended this season.

Bellingham is a great talent but Foden is better. Bellingham is only 20 so he can be better in future.

Kane hasn't won a pot in his life.

Agree to disagree. Foden playing in a better team and thus being not in the top 3 of his team is not a reason why he’d be worse than Saka. Plus I would maybe say that Ødegaard, Rice and Saliba are Arsenal’s best/most important players.

Foden is more consistent, better in big games, technically better, has better G/A and is more versatile.

He can play centrally and on the wing.

He was always a central player but it needed KDB to get injured to show how talented he is. His first touch is miles ahead of Saka. He has better vision, technique, better shot. The list goes on.

Put Saka centrally and he cannot do what Foden can.
Saka is an incredibly effective player at what he does and a really good player but Foden is another level.

:lol:

1 left winger. Incredible from Gareth :lol:

You're kidding right? Foden spent half this POTY season tearing folks new ones as a left winger. Palmer is comfortable there as is Eze. Even Watkins.

Eze, Gordon and Foden.

Gordon is in the squad, he's rapid, works his ass off out of possession and had a great season totting up 21 g/a in the league. We have speed on the other side in Bowen if we need it, Saka isn't a slouch, Bellingham is a very powerful runner with the ball and Foden is extremely fast over a short distance. You're acting like we have slouches in the forward roles when we don't. There is lots of pace in the team. Had Rashford had an even halfway acceptable season he was a guarantee, but he didn't and there was no fair way to justify him being in the team.

This last one is even better, trying to sell Foden as a transition threat

Love all the boys but Fodens had a very shit tournament.

Because he never was, and never will be the player that the general consensus makes him out to be. If he was at #10 or the right wing throughout the tournament, he still wouldn't have done much.

Saka is better, it's already obvious, it was obvious 2 years ago, and hopefully won't even be a question in a few years' time.

Something feels wrong about England only winning 1 match in 90mins all tournament and being in the semis

Is it worse than France who have yet to themselves score a goal from open play?

Despite the water carrier holding France back with derisory tactics and favouritism, he, unlike Southgate, has played and beaten the best. Won the WC and could add the Euros.

No evidence whatsoever that England can beat any of the 3 left. Especially, the other semi.

I thought we played slightly better yesterday but still poor overall. The most worrying thing is the lack of chances being created. Final third has not come close to working all tourney.

I give us a 10% chance of winning the whole thing. No more.

I'm not going mad am I. Kane has been awful all tournament? Like really really poor.

If England revert to type and try and soak up the pressure from the dutch they will get ripped apart.

Our defence has been suspect against lone runners but the dutch will run at us in waves and we'll end up giving away a goal or a penalty by Stones over-committing and leaving space.

Shaw isn't fit enough to play a whole game.

A good tactician would go for Holland's throat from the get go and get a couple of quick goals, then pick them off on the break with counterattacks.

Speedy players up front and England have a chance. If Kane and Foden are in the starting 11 then they will lose.

okw5sUn.jpeg

Is what I think we need to play. Even that still has 2 players out of position. Palmer I don't believe can't play on the left though, and Eze can drift there. (Hence staring him over Mainoo). Eze should cover the deficiancies of the LB too.

It gets Foden in the centre (where I much prefer him). It gives Bellingham a left sided player with actual pace (like he had with Madrid) and no one ahead of him (like he has with Madrid). But Palmer can move into CF position (like Vini at Madrid)

Hypothetically Foden and Bellingham will still be trying to play in the same position but Foden can also go ahead of Bellingham or drop deep

vubmVrF.jpeg

As an alternative with a proper striker.

Last edited:
We only seem to respond when we go behind and that response is usually maddeningly slow and reliant on individual brilliance rather than an actual attacking system or plan. Southgate has been saved by big players creating big moments and he's running out of luck.

How many of the Dutch players would get in the England starting XI if you take the managerial incompetency equation out of it?

Thing is it’s about balance. The Dutch defenders and midfielders are better on the ball and passing the ball in between the lines so you’d at least take two or three of them in this England team.

For example, stick Akanji and Xhaka from that Switzerland team in this England one and they would make a massive difference. We’re lacking that profile of player.

The only player from the 3 who is a left winger is Gordon...and Southgate won't even play him. Foden has been abysmal on the left.
All three have played there plenty of times for their clubs. Foden just simply hasn't been able to translate his club form into top performances for the national team - regardless of which position he has operated in.

All three have played there plenty of times for their clubs. Foden just simply hasn't been able to translate his club form into top performances for the national team - regardless of which position he has operated in.

Because he's not as good as his City performances will lead you to believe. He needs the perfect environment and system and then he can be great in certain things, but still not everything. Look at a player like Saka or Palmer, or even an in-form Rashford, those players get the ball and can make things happen, even in much worse teams and environments than City.

Foden has only been able to showcase himself in the best club side ever assembled, and even in there he has never been a top 3 best player in the squad.

Foden certainly plays on the left sometimes, but I'd still give him a go in the middle before dropping him.

Hes definitely close to being dropped though

Last edited:
I keep hearing from all the pundits that England have the momentum now and it's a big advantage. So Spain's last minute winner against Germany, France wining the penalty shoot out like England or Holland's comeback against Turkey, wont give them momentum too ? These pundits are a waste of time!

Do you think Gakpo is a better footballer than Mbappé? Considering he’s had a better tournament.

Sabitzer vs Bruno?
Mikautadze vs Kane?

Obviously not, but Foden was never the player the masses believe that he is. My argument isn’t just based on the Euros. Saka and Palmer are better players based on the whole of last season as well (and in Saka’s case, earlier seasons too)

Last edited:
Obviously not, but Foden was never the player the masses believe that he is. My argument isn’t just based ok the Euros. Saka and Palmer are better players based on the whole of last season as well (and in Saka’s case, earlier seasons too)

Agree to disagree.

Because he's not as good as his City performances will lead you to believe. He needs the perfect environment and system and then he can be great in certain things, but still not everything. Look at a player like Saka or Palmer, or even an in-form Rashford, those players get the ball and can make things happen, even in much worse teams and environments than City.

Foden has only been able to showcase himself in the best club side ever assembled, and even in there he has never been a top 3 best player in the squad.
I certainly don't agree with that. If you are arguably the best player for the best team in the country/potentially Europe (which Foden has been this season), then you are obviously a top player.

Rashford is a very different type of player. Very good at his best, but simply doesn't have the consistency. More individualistic perhaps, which seems to be the trait that you are looking for.

Obviously not, but Foden was never the player the masses believe that he is. My argument isn’t just based on the Euros. Saka and Palmer are better players based on the whole of last season as well (and in Saka’s case, earlier seasons too)
Agreed. If you're putting money on a player to change a game for you out of those three, foden would be the last choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.