England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've said again and again, Saka is the best attacker we've got, utter madness people calling for him to be benched. Meanwhile Foden that has done absolutely nothing in an England shirt has a PR machine that is frankly a marvel.
Saka has been consistently our best attacker over the last 4 years. He should never be benched. Foden is begging to be benched based on his performances for England. The PR for him is very weird. He doesn't play anywhere near the level for England that he does for City.

Listening to the Pundits talk about how we just don’t appreciate what Kane brought to the game because he occupying 3 defenders … whaaaa? What 3 defenders?

If an opposing player runs through his general vicinity on his way to deal with a real threat, that does not mean that Kane is “occupying” him.

They can’t actually believe half of this stuff coming out their mouths can they?

I'm sure Michah Richards said Southgate's decision to bring on 3 subs at once was brave. Brave? To make substitutions 15 minutes too late when you're a goal down after playing shite most of the game. It wouldn't surprise me to learn if Richards was kicked in the head by a horse.

There was a point in the game where Switzerland's back line was almost half way into the England half because Kane was fannying about in midfield. Surely someone should have told him to feck off and stand on the half way line.

Shaw must start against Holland.
We looked so much better with him within 10 mins after coming on he’d already made 3 runs in behind the Swiss defence that trippier hadn’t made all game.
I’d lose foden for palmer as well. Palmer is made for this, has a swagger that kid he’ll be some player and arguably already is.

Edit - Kane should be benched. Offered feck all for a long time. And Toney is a better penalty taker too as well as having the advantage of not running like an arthritic pensioner.

We looked so much better with him within 10 mins after coming on he’d already made 3 runs in behind the Swiss defence that trippier hadn’t made all game.
I’d lose foden for palmer as well. Palmer is made for this, has a swagger that kid he’ll be some player and arguably already is.

amazing the difference it makes to have an overlapping full back. though shaw was caught out of position that time saka had to track back. so that’ll be the end of any overlaps.

Scrappy performance from England. They have of the most static styles of play in this tournament. Side ways passing seems to be the go to.

I’ll be shocked if England overcome Netherlands.

Kane must be injured. He's been so terrible it's the only explanation. can't see tiredness making him this bad.

Foden, is just crap away from the city system.

Of course, GS will still play them both next game. And they'll be crap again

It's a shame how unbalanced the England squad is. Offensive options are good as well as midfield, but Trippier in the backline is just horrible. Pickford is a bang average GK and the CB's also look shaky IMO.

It's a shame how unbalanced the England squad is. Offensive options are good as well as midfield, but Trippier in the backline is just horrible. Pickford is a bang average GK and the CB's also look shaky IMO.

I don’t think Pickford has done much wrong this tournament. His distribution could be better but apart from that he’s been pretty flawless throughout.

Scrappy performance from England. They have of the most static styles of play in this tournament. Side ways passing seems to be the go to.

I’ll be shocked if England overcome Netherlands.
Everyone said this about Switzerland, but it’s not really a shock is it?

amazing the difference it makes to have an overlapping full back. though shaw was caught out of position that time saka had to track back. so that’ll be the end of any overlaps.
He wasn't even playing at full-back, was he? He was one of the 3 CBs, but still kept overlapping on to the wing. Strangely aggressive approach for Southgate.
I really hope he gets to play as the actual full-back in the next game, so he can do that a lot more.

Everyone said this about Switzerland, but it’s not really a shock is it?
No, because despite stanking out the tournament, England should beat them.
Southgate is awful but despite him England are close to winning this tournament. I'd still want Southgate to stay even if England do win the Euros because I think there's less chance of them winning the World Cup if he's in charge.
Southgate: living embodiment of its better to be lucky than good.

The pass back to Trippier is a really easy one and Switzerland left their defender 1v2. It was a perfect time to play the short corner. I’m sure Saka makes that pass for Arsenal but it feels players playing for England are completely risk averse.

Weird tournament for us this tbh. Have been terrible in every game yet somehow find ourselves in the semis. Usually we're comfortable against the teams that are not as good as us and lose to the first decent team but this change in pattern has me optimistic. Hopefully we've flipped that and look good against the better teams starting from the semi final.

I don't have much hope though...

Honestly, with how low quality this tournament, we've got a real chance.

Kane has to be dropped, he offers so little right now. But I cant see Southgate being that brave.

Foden continues to disappoint in an England shirt.

Kane, okay... I agree he needs dropping but I can see why Southgate wouldn't if he feels the drop in (perceived) quality would be too much. Foden, though? We're seeing, game in, game out, an alternative making a bigger impact in Palmer. He's definitely done enough to warrant a start.

Back to Kane again. I don't watch any Bundesliga football so I have no idea how he's played this season. From the outside looking in, it looks like he demolished the league going off his stats, so I don't know if he's now tired after a long season or if the Bundesliga is that bad!

Kane, okay... I agree he needs dropping but I can see why Southgate wouldn't if he feels the drop in (perceived) quality would be too much. Foden, though? We're seeing, game in, game out, an alternative making a bigger impact in Palmer. He's definitely done enough to warrant a start.

Back to Kane again. I don't watch any Bundesliga football so I have no idea how he's played this season. From the outside looking in, it looks like he demolished the league going off his stats, so I don't know if he's now tired after a long season or if the Bundesliga is that bad!
I think with Kane its just he's suffering from not having runners off him. To be fair to Kane the only attacker that's looked anywhere near the level they were at their clubs is Saka and its only been this game, there were calls to drop him for Palmer earlier in the tournament as well. So I think it's more a tactical problem than a Kane/Foden/Bellingham/Saka problem.

I think with Kane its just he's suffering from not having runners off him. To be fair to Kane the only attacker that's looked anywhere near the level they were at their clubs is Saka and its only been this game, there were calls to drop him for Palmer earlier in the tournament as well. So I think it's more a tactical problem than a Kane/Foden/Bellingham/Saka problem.
Unpopular opinions, I know, but we're really missing Sterling, and Rashford would've been a nice option to have as well.

Unpopular opinions, I know, but we're really missing Sterling, and Rashford would've been a nice option to have as well.
I agree with you. Kane has always had a good connection with those 2 and vice versa. If Shaw is fit I also think Kane will do better.

Sterling is washed and Rashford had a terrible season. Gordon should have been given more of a chance. He can run in behind like those two have for Kane. The entire left side has been atrocious, because Trippier isn't a LB and Foden is having a terrible tournament. We're so dependant on Saka beating his man and creating something on the right.

The left side should improve if Shaw is ready to start. Southgate took the risk and brought him. He has to start now if he's fit enough.

Even if we don't win the tournament, winning a penalty shootout is massive

Sterling is washed and Rashford had a terrible season. Gordon should have been given more of a chance. He can run in behind like those two have for Kane. The entire left side has been atrocious, because Trippier isn't a LB and Foden is having a terrible tournament. We're so dependant on Saka beating his man and creating something on the right.

The left side should improve if Shaw is ready to start. Southgate took the risk and brought him. He has to start now if he's fit enough.
Sorry, I meant the Sterling of old. I'm not saying he would've made a positive impact as he is now (though I'm only going off what I hear everyone say as I don't watch Chelsea) but that we're really missing what he used to bring to the team. Kane got all the plaudits but Sterling was always as good as him for us, in my opinion. They really worked well together.

I've said it before on Rashford but I would've brought him for two reasons. One, he's a big game player and is capable of creating game changing moments. Two, before the '22 World Cup, he was in poor form for us there, too, but actually ended up being our player of the tournament and coming back here in electric form. I get why he wasn't brought, and why the majority don't think he deserved the call, but he was worth the risk for me.

I agree with you about Shaw and Gordon.

Do we think Shaw will start the semi now?
I'd say yes but at this point I'm not sure Southgate is even making decisions based on facts and logic, so... *shrug*

I'd say yes but at this point I'm not sure Southgate is even making decisions based on facts and logic, so... *shrug*
I'm not used to you being so critical of Southgate :lol:

I don't think even he's that daft to leave Shaw out for tactical reasons. The only question is does he have a full game in him, and, if not, is it better to save him for the latter part of the game in case of a third extra time in a row.

England will qualify for the final. Switzerland is a better team than Netherlands.

They might actually win it by beating Spain in the final. This is because to beat Spain you need parking the bus and counter attack system which is what England is playing/good at under Southgate.

Southgate is a strange manager. His style of play is awful to watch especially with attacking talents England has. However, there is no denying that he is a very successful England's manager.

Edit - Kane should be benched. Offered feck all for a long time. And Toney is a better penalty taker too as well as having the advantage of not running like an arthritic pensioner.

I would agree with this on Shaw, except… can he make a whole game? I would assume there has to be some sort of fitness issue that kept him from playing until today. Maybe plan ahead to give him a half? Or start him and really go for the throat and then if he needs to come off we have a lead hopefully?

On Kane, better part of valor to save face at this point would be to announce he has a hamstring issue or something. If the team excels without him they can say he had been struggling with fitness the whole time. If England need him and he can go hard for 20 minutes then he’s a hero for playing through an issue.

Feel like Netherlands might actually be a better matchup for England.

Turkey aren't anything special but they bring pressing, aggression and elite set-piece ability. Even the hostile fans.

I don't really see the Netherlands having many real weapons. Basically England with lower individual quality.

The fact they have already scored at least 2 goals in 4 out of their 5 matches worries me. We have failed to do that in any game so far, think the team who lost to Austria isn't there anymore.

I think they’ll win it. France or more likely Spain are the only good team they have to beat to win it so it’s a one off game. Netherland’s are plucky but lack quality compared to prior generations.

I think they’ll win it. France or more likely Spain are the only good team they have to beat to win it so it’s a one off game. Netherland’s are plucky but lack quality compared to prior generations.

Wouldn't say they lack quality when you look at Gakpo

Wouldn't say they lack quality when you look at Gakpo

How many of the Dutch players would get in the England starting XI if you take the managerial incompetency equation out of it?

Only Virgil Van Dijk for me. You can't play Frimpong in a back 4, and he isn't good enough to warrant a formation shift to a back 5 just to accomodate him. And honestly if England were to go for a back 5, Saka and Trent respectively are even stronger imo.

Xavi Simmons best position already has Bellingham and Foden in it, who are better.

Gapko is decent but he's had pretty much a statistically worse season than practically every England benchwarmer forward.

I'm not used to you being so critical of Southgate :lol:
He's doing a really bad job at this euros. England got outplayed by Slovakia and Switzerland

I don't think even he's that daft to leave Shaw out for tactical reasons.
If he was motivated by tactical concerns at all he's have dropped Foden for Gordon/Eze by now. Played TAA with Saka on the left. Played Palmer next to Bellingham. Tried Wharton with Rice and Mainoo in midfield. Done literally anything other than insisting with this lineup

Nah. England are trying to luck their way to victory, my guess is he's worried changing anything would affect that plan

He's doing a really bad job at this euros. England got outplayed by Slovakia and Switzerland

If he was motivated by tactical concerns at all he's have dropped Foden for Gordon/Eze by now. Played TAA with Saka on the left. Played Palmer next to Bellingham. Tried Wharton with Rice and Mainoo in midfield. Done literally anything other than insisting with this lineup

Nah. England are trying to luck their way to victory, my guess is he's worried changing anything would affect that plan
You make good points but I think it'll be different here because we know he actually likes Shaw. We know how he is when it comes to his favourites and, fortunately this time, Shaw seems to be in that category.

I just find it funny how our roles have changed here with me somewhat defending him and you criticising him! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.