England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
christ's sake, it's Switzerland too, not some footy powerhouse. If he doesn't go for it and plays his usual tentative, boring shite it'll be a new low.

christ's sake, it's Switzerland too, not some footy powerhouse. If he doesn't go for it and plays his usual tentative, boring shite it'll be a new low.
Well, not if you win

Good chance Switzerland knock you out, unless the squad goes for it ignoring Southgate.

Not sure about Saka as left wing back. He did not look that comfortable when he was moved there in the last game.
Gordon would be more effective there.
Yeah I’d agree with that. I just don’t think Southgate would drop Saka

I don't think I've ever seen Saka used in a 3atb system, so that'll be interesting to see, but if Walker remains in the team, which would make sense if he moves into the back 3, then Saka RWB and Gordon LWB would make more sense to me than Trent RWB and Saka LWB.

Good chance Switzerland knock you out, unless the squad goes for it ignoring Southgate.
Nah. Bellingham won't get knocked out by Switzerland. England make the final. That's when they'll need Southgate to have figured things out and send out a coherent team

Nah. Bellingham won't get knocked out by Switzerland. England make the final. That's when they'll need Southgate to have figured things out and send out a coherent team
Just like you weren‘t knocked out by Iceland. There is no base for your confidence, England was 1 minute away from elimination ffs. Against Slowakia.

Just like you weren‘t knocked out by Iceland. There is no base for your confidence, England was 1 minute away from elimination ffs. Against Slowakia.

Giorno is an Italian borderline Southgate fanboy. There's many layers to the man you're responding :lol:

I don't think I've ever seen Saka used in a 3atb system, so that'll be interesting to see, but if Walker remains in the team, which would make sense if he moves into the back 3, then Saka RWB and Gordon LWB would make more sense to me than Trent RWB and Saka LWB.

The Swizz are going to play cagey I reckon so our FBs will have plenty of chance to go forward and Rice is good at covering and stopping breaks.

I reckon England will be beat Switzerland, regardless of what team they play.
I also believe that Toney could cause more problems to the very good Switzerland defense than Kane would, guy is a handful, but Kane is more likely to come up with a goal from some deflection or just be in the right place at the right time.

Anyone thinks Southgate will start Gallagher instead of Mainoo just to shut down Xhaka?
Or even both in a 3 man midfield?

Switzerland is much, much stronger than anything England have encountered so far, and they will probably be dominating the game, judging from how two teams have played this far in the tournament.

I reckon England will be beat Switzerland, regardless of what team they play.
I also believe that Toney could cause more problems to the very good Switzerland defense than Kane would, guy is a handful, but Kane is more likely to come up with a goal from some deflection or just be in the right place at the right time.

Anyone thinks Southgate will start Gallagher instead of Mainoo just to shut down Xhaka?
Or even both in a 3 man midfield?

I'd have Gallagher on to put in a first minute reducer on him and then sub him as soon as he gets the yellow card. Then get Mainoo on to do the actual creative work.

I think this is our best and most balanced team. The left side has been a farce in both games and needs balancing, along with one of Wharton / Mainoo to bring composure in the middle of the park.

Pickford
Walker - Stones - Guehi
TAA — Mainoo -- Rice — Saka
Bellingham -- Foden
Kane​

Seems like he’s going for the above which has been my preference for a while.

I’d probably swap out Foden for Palmer though. He’s played better but also think he’ll be more dynamic at getting beyond Kane.

It’s still a tad one paced, Trent for example is limited in this respect, but it should be more balanced that the games previously.

Crucial Saka in particular gets freedom to go forward.

Saka is our most dangerous player but he needs balls to run onto, not played to his feet with his back to goal and with Kane 20 yards behind the play faffing about in midfield.

Saka is our most dangerous player but he needs balls to run onto, not played to his feet with his back to goal and with Kane 20 yards behind the play faffing about in midfield.
He really isn’t. Only Arsenal fans believe that.

I really don’t think Kane has been doing that in this tournament. He definitely did for Spurs, but not now.

The Swizz are going to play cagey I reckon so our FBs will have plenty of chance to go forward and Rice is good at covering and stopping breaks.
They’ll play as they have throughout the tournament, why wouldn’t they?

Apart from finishing (Embolo), they look very good and capable of proper, constructive build up straight from the back, through midfield and right into the attacking third.

Perhaps nerves get the better of them like Austria, but I doubt it.

They’ll have the majority of the possession and with Southgate shitting bricks, England are likely to be reduced to frantic counters and/ot blind faith in individual brilliance.

Saka left back and allowing Palmer to start on the right as well as Foden or Bellingham dropping deeper would improve England so much. Everything is just so unbalanced. They've no control in the middle of the park, they have 0 width on the left. Kane drops far too deep. It's not rocket science.

Saka left back and allowing Palmer to start on the right as well as Foden or Bellingham dropping deeper would improve England so much. Everything is just so unbalanced. They've no control in the middle of the park, they have 0 width on the left. Kane drops far too deep. It's not rocket science.
Southgate.jpg

That is what I think as well.

And then Bellingham scored

The England that lost to Iceland did not have Bellingham

These lot , the swiss , haven't had a scrap for 200 years and I'm absolutely bricking it .

The thought that the once mighty England could be put to the sword by a bunch of yodelling conscientious objectors is unbearable .

Southgate at his best (arguably 2018 WC) was when he played 5 at the back and relied on set piece goals. If that's the only way he can navigate a way to the final, then so be it. I can tolerate it for a couple of knockout games as long as this is his last tournament.

Southgate at his best (arguably 2018 WC) was when he played 5 at the back and relied on set piece goals. If that's the only way he can navigate a way to the final, then so be it. I can tolerate it for a couple of knockout games as long as this is his last tournament.

He'll probably hang on too long like Ramsey did. The parallels between them are there...apart from winning a World Cup of course.

He'll probably hang on too long like Ramsey did.
I'd argue the best was the last world cup in qatar, but so far this tournament it looks like he already has stayed on too long

They’ll play as they have throughout the tournament, why wouldn’t they?

Apart from finishing (Embolo), they look very good and capable of proper, constructive build up straight from the back, through midfield and right into the attacking third.

Perhaps nerves get the better of them like Austria, but I doubt it.

They’ll have the majority of the possession and with Southgate shitting bricks, England are likely to be reduced to frantic counters and/ot blind faith in individual brilliance.

They have had their ups and downs over the years, and while I'm certainly not trying to overrate them, this is probably the strongest squad they have had ever since I'm watching football. 21 out of their 26 players are playing in top 5 leagues in Europe, and there is unusually big number of players who are coming off excellent individual seasons, apart from the obvious Xhaka - Akanji duo.

England is obviously stronger, but this is no Slovakia, Switzerland is much, much better side. Incomparable really.

They have had their ups and downs over the years, and while I'm certainly not trying to overrate them, this is probably the strongest squad they have had ever since I'm watching football. 21 out of their 26 players are playing in top 5 leagues in Europe, and there is unusually big number of players who are coming off excellent individual seasons, apart from the obvious Xhaka - Akanji duo.

England is obviously stronger, but this is no Slovakia, Switzerland is much, much better side. Incomparable really.
Best I’ve seen them. They’re fluid and creative and Xhaka genuinely looks the part these days.

Definitely a few levels up on what England have struggled against to date.

Pickford
TAA-Walker-Stones-Konsa-Saka
Rice
Bellingham - Foden
Toney - Kane
This is my guess.

Portugal 2016 were shite, Argentina 2022 were literally just Messi, Di Maria and a bunch of farmers.
Portugal had Eder.
England has Bellingham.

Its coming home, la

It is incomparable, Argentina was trying to outplay every opponent, Portgual was much more akin to England in scraping through. That doesn't mean you are wrong though, England could win this.

He's absolutely just decided to play Football Manager with the rumoured new line up, which has been right so far this tournament 24 hours before kick off..

Bellingham has been poor. Teams this bad don‘t win tournaments.
England probably won't win the tournament. Bellingham will be enough to beat the likes of switzerland and weghorst-land

Status
Not open for further replies.