England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
England arn't technically inferior to Spain these days, with a proper coach could play that style of football.

Pretty much the whole squad do for their clubs.

England arn't technically inferior to Spain these days, with a proper coach could play that style of football.

Not until they have 2/3 Wharton types in central midfield. But then people would moan about little height in midfield (even if all the defenders were 6ft +).

Spain never changed their style today at 0-1 down. Early in the second half England were just playing long diagonals and trying to get knock downs in the box and eventually that lead to the goal.

The future looks incredibly bright for you, without Southgate of course, for 2026, 2028, and 2030.

Just need to hire someone that's not detrimental to the team and England will be more than competitive. That should not be difficult to do, since the only current elite manager in international football is Nagelsmann.

Spain has Championship level players but champions league level performances.
England has Champions league level players but division 2 performances.

Players, or management coaching and system?

I think he'll rest Mainoo.
Can see Gallagher back in midfield.
There is no way he will rest a 19 yr old who has been one of our best players. If he does he should be let go before the team takesthefield

Is this kind of thinking which leads to the inevitable tears come the quarters or semis.

The future looks incredibly bright for you, without Southgate of course, for 2026, 2028, and 2030.

Just need to hire someone that's not detrimental to the team and England will be more than competitive. That should not be difficult to do, since the only current elite manager in international football is Nagelsmann.

Yeah just need a striker and the defence is getting on a bit.

I still think they're a fair bit ahead of us technically. Especially at centre back and central midfield, their technique is exceptional. Someone like Declan Rice looks clumsy in comparison to the likes of Rodri and Pedri.

But we have our own qualities they don't really have, or at least we should have if we used them optimally. A genuine goalscorer, the power and dynamism of Bellingham, these should be huge trump cards when used by a proper manager.

I think he'll rest Mainoo.
Can see Gallagher back in midfield.

There is no chance of that happening at all.

Gallagher failed abysmally against Slovenia and Southgate did not hesistate to haul him off. Then Mainoo came on and outperformed him.

Mainoo was one of England's better players against Slovakia and he worked well with Rice.

I know that Southgate has his brain fades but he's not going to make the same mistake twice.

Last edited:

They absolutely are, but England's strength lies elsewhere.

Anyway if they play like today, England are out in the next round.

I suspect we will be unchanged against the swiss although Foden doesn't deserve to be starting..

All England players look good on the ball for their clubs. Or they wouldn't play, it's that simple. No top teams play hoofball these days.

The difference with England is the total lack of any cohesive tactical plan that any of them are used to. When they get the ball they don't have the options available. No one in the team knows what they're meant to do.

I'd love to see Pep as England manager, just to see what style of football he was able to implement.

Southgate might even fluke a trophy, he's basically the biggest fraud in the history of football management...

Certainly similarly inept managers have won cups in club football. In the league though, they can't hide and if Southgate ever does get a top club job, I reckon he'd be totally found out and lucky to last 6 months.

Wow. One of the worst posts I've ever seen.

Southgate talking like a triumphant hero after overseeing an absolute shambles. He also seems to believe everything he's doing is right.

His rhetoric regarding who and who should be kept on the pitch, or even who should start, is alarming - he's not learning from the games and how they unfold.

He's going to start Foden again, isn't he? By now it's injury that'll protect the side from Trippier too because Southgate is not going to switch him out otherwise.

This will be the first game England play where heart and bluster means nothing at all. A tactical plan and a cohesive unit in a balanced side is the level the tournament is at from now on. All the opponents to come will take advantage of the exploits in a manner teams have been incapable of to this point in time.

It's from this point he'll be found out if there is anything to take advantage of.

All England players look good on the ball for their clubs. Or they wouldn't play, it's that simple. No top teams play hoofball these days.

The difference with England is the total lack of any cohesive tactical plan that any of them are used to. When they get the ball they don't have the options available. No one in the team knows what they're meant to do.

I'd love to see Pep as England manager, just to see what style of football he was able to implement.

Southgate might even fluke a trophy, he's basically the biggest fraud in the history of football management...

Certainly similarly inept managers have won cups in club football. In the league though, they can't hide and if Southgate ever does get a top club job, I reckon he'd be totally found out and lucky to last 6 months.

So, Italy beat England because they had Pep as manager?

Why not hire Mancini and win everything?

I suspect we will be unchanged against the swiss although Foden doesn't deserve to be starting..
I know he’s a donkey but I can’t see Southgate not realising now, after nearly going out to an awful team, that he has to drop Foden or Bellingham and Bellingham scored a great goal that saved his bacon so it has to be the former.

Yeah just need a striker and the defence is getting on a bit.

Colwill, Branthwaite and Guéhi are all great defenders.

Rico Lewis, Ethan Nwaneri, Charlie Patino, Lewis Miley, Archie Gray, Adam Wharton, Alex Scott, Harry Amass, Shea Lacey, Kobbie Mainoo, Lewis Hall, Carney Chukwuemeka, these guys are all still teenagers with massive potential as well. And there's probably at least this many guys that we don't yet know about coming through as well.

You seem to be sorted in every position except for a truly world class striker prospect, but there's probably going to be someone there as well.

Are you talking about the EFL Championship?

Got to do something different against the Swiss. They’re a solid side. TBH I thought England looked better at 442. Kane looked better having someone else up there with him. Then for the second half of ET he decided to defend a dodgy lead. That really could have cost England.

I feel like England have learned very little from this game, that they can take on to the rest of the tournament. Mainoo played well enough, but I can see Southgate dropping him for Switzerland. Palmer wasn't exactly amazing coming on for Saka either. What changes are going to be made on the basis of this? I bet Southgate will field 10 of the same players next time, with Gallagher maybe coming in for Mainoo. But other than that, players come on so late in the game, that no-one really got a chance to shine.

Switzerland will be a very, very difficult game unless England find another gear. Thankfully for England there are fairly big gaps between the games, because they had a day less rest to begin with and played 30 extra minutes.

Edit: Just realized Guehi will be suspended, so at least that's one change he is forced to make.

I feel like England have learned very little from this game, that they can take on to the rest of the tournament. Mainoo played well enough, but I can see Southgate dropping him for Switzerland. Palmer wasn't exactly amazing coming on for Saka either. What changes are going to be made on the basis of this? I bet Southgate will field 10 of the same players next time, with Gallagher maybe coming in for Mainoo. But other than that, players come on so late in the game, that no-one really got a chance to shine.

Switzerland will be a very, very difficult game unless England find another gear. Thankfully for England there are fairly big gaps between the games, because they had a day less rest to begin with and played 30 extra minutes.

I think even Southgate will recognise Mainoo played well. He won’t drop him.

The only change will be Dunk in for Guehi.

I think even Southgate will recognise Mainoo played well. He won’t drop him.

The only change will be Dunk in for Guehi.

Is Lewis Dunk seriously the best back-up centre-back England can muster? Wow. I wonder if he might go Walker centrally and Trent on right-back.

Is Lewis Dunk seriously the best back-up centre-back England can muster? Wow. I wonder if he might go Walker centrally and Trent on right-back.

I’d probably play Gomez but Dunk seems to be Southgate’s preference as next choice. Unless he moves to 3 at the back, no chance he plays Walker and Trent.

Gordon (even though I don’t rate him) seems the obvious choice ahead of Foden to me but difficult to see that happening when he didn’t even get on the pitch in 120 minutes today. I can’t imagine he will start Shaw either but fingers crossed he might at least be fit to be a sub.

I’d probably play Gomez but Dunk seems to be Southgate’s preference as next choice. Unless he moves to 3 at the back, no chance he plays Walker and Trent.

Gordon (even though I don’t rate him) seems the obvious choice ahead of Foden to me but difficult to see that happening when he didn’t even get on the pitch in 120 minutes today. I can’t imagine he will start Shaw either but fingers crossed he might at least be fit to be a sub.

It is weird to me that Gordon hasn't played a minute yet. He brings something different, which England could use. I could be wrong, but I think the commentators I watched said that Slovakia were defending with two 37 year-olds on their right side in the second half. Shouldn't take a tactical genius to put some pace in against that.

Edit: Just realized Guehi will be suspended, so at least that's one change he is forced to make.
Yeah but there's nothing about Guehi being suspended that's a good change to have to make. Unless there's a better option it's not good he's forced to do something different. That's probably the one position where the performances have been reasonable.

The overrating of the England players MUST stop. Every one of the “top talents” has people at their club who are considerably better footballers, especially technically.

walker, dias and Akanji beside him
stones- dias

rice- odegaard is a FAR better player

Bellingham- Vini, kroos and Modric better players

foden- rodri pulls the strings at city.

They all miss their clubs better players 100%

Yeah but there's nothing about Guehi being suspended that's a good change to have to make. Unless there's a better option it's not good he's forced to do something different. That's probably the one position where the performances have been reasonable.

Yeah, agree. Arguably Englands best player of the tournament so far.

Slovakia missed quite a few decent chances in the first half, not to mention the second half cock up which was almost a copy of Bruno against Liverpool.

First shot on goal, 95th min with one minute remaining, against Slovakia. Winner is a header after a complete mishit followed by Toney trying to get a header on target.

The contrast to the sort of performances that Spain and Germany have been putting in is fairly stark.

You’d hope that Southgate finally sees that he has to make changes up top. Yet another hopeless performance from Foden, simply doesn’t work in Southgates setup.

The overrating of the England players MUST stop. Every one of the “top talents” has people at their club who are considerably better footballers, especially technically.

walker, dias and Akanji beside him
stones- dias

rice- odegaard is a FAR better player

Bellingham- Vini, kroos and Modric better players

foden- rodri pulls the strings at city.

They all miss their clubs better players 100%

That's harsh. Your squad is excellent and could be playing so much better. They simply lack the right platform to shine. I think you can't even say that your players are playing shit, it's just that no cog meshes with another. Spain for instance makes it easy for its players, they always have an easy option available and don't need to take risks until it is really worth it. Nico Williams and Yamal find themselves in one on one situations so often for instance whereas it seems as if England's wingers always need to beat two or even three players to create something.

Status
Not open for further replies.