England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry but England's only chance to win this tournament is to sack Southgate right now.

The best link-up play I've seen from us was between Palmer and Mainoo. I want to see Mainoo keep his spot and Palmer start in the next game.

I presume Southgate manages to successfully sabotage you enough to get beaten by someone at some point. Probably takes a fair bit against Switzerland but will take very little against France or Germany in the final

Watching England just kills any joy of international tournament football.

so frustrating when you’ve had an eye on the euros in the weeks leading up to it…only to sit through 390 minutes of absolute tripe that just irritates me

Maybe, shaw will play!

:lol:

He should be sent home today imo. 4 games in and not a sign of him coming on. Not a good idea to throw someone into a tournament at this stage when he's been out for five months.

I presume Southgate manages to successfully sabotage you enough to get beaten by someone at some point. Probably takes a fair bit against Switzerland but will take very little against France or Germany in the final
Why do people keep underestimating Switserland. They've been very impressive this tournament.

Shaw will be fit for the final. Just in time to score in it again.

It is pretty clear to me Foden and Bellingham cannot play in the same XI. I would start Bellingham and have Foden as a sub option. Konsa in for Guehi, and whoever can do left back.

Time to change things up:-

Pickford
Walker- Stones-Konsa- Shaw
Rice
Mainoo- Bellingham
Palmer Kane Eze/Gordon

It is pretty clear to me Foden and Bellingham cannot play in the same XI. I would start Bellingham and have Foden as a sub option. Konsa in for Guehi, and whoever can do left back.

Pickford
Rice
Mainoo- Bellingham
Palmer Kane Eze/Gordon
I think that would be my team, too. Foden needs dropping. Saka hasn't been as bad but still pretty invisible unlike Palmer.

Pickford
Rice
Mainoo- Bellingham
Palmer Kane Eze/Gordon

TAA instead of Walker at this point.

Kane should be left out based on his performances so far. Or at least subbed on the hour mark.

Yes I know he scored the winner etc but there was no impact from him at all to get it back to 1-1 so 96 minutes is fairly conclusive that he's miles off his usual level.

Can't see him being a starter at the next World cup, he's looking like Rooney was around 2013/14 now.

Why do people keep underestimating Switserland. They've been very impressive this tournament.
They're a good team. England should be better. I dont think the swiss are so good that they cant get knocked out by a set piece in the 90 minute completely against the run of play

They're a good team. England should be better. I dont think the swiss are so good that they cant get knocked out by a set piece in the 90 minute completely against the run of play

They will create plenty of chances v England so just need to be clinical which they were v Italy. Should've beaten Germany aswell although that would've landed them in the harder side of the draw.

Pickford
Rice
Mainoo- Bellingham
Palmer Kane Eze/Gordon

They would be able to play if we had a better manager and tactics however Southgate is shite. Shaw won’t be fit so a decision to be made at LB.

Technically not a smash and grab, but it was definitely a "snatched victory from the jaws of defeat" outcome.

Foden really is shite without his big bald daddy telling him what to do.

Been missing all week and southgate still fecking starts him, its laughable, it really is.

Gordon must be thinking what do i need to do to get minutes down the left.

On Jude Bellingham's sublime goal: "With 15 minutes to go you wonder if he is out on his feet. Him and Harry Kane produce those moments and that is why you don't makes changes when people are clamouring for more changes. We had enough attacking players on the pitch."

Jesus wept. Seem the message he’s taken is that he was right all along.

England looked far more dangerous when they switched to a back three. With no left footed left back, it seems like a no brained, especially against sides who sit back and counter. It's still a mark against Southgate though. A natural left footed LB should have been picked. I guess the only option was Mitchell.

I thought it was odd that Gareth moves Saka from LM/LWB to RM/RWB though, with the right footed Eze at LM/LWB. I guess it worked because it was against a compact defence, but in an open game something like:

Kane
Bellingham - Foden
Saka - Rice - Mainoo - Trent
Guehi - Stones - Walker​

Makes sense. Palmer as an option, either like for like for Foden or as an attacking switch for Trent. Same for Eze/Gordon.

And if really on top, and trying to break down a stubborn defence, then move Kobbie forward and Jude/Foden alongside Kane. I like Rice but I don't think he has the guile to break down defences in international football, just have him shielding the defence which is what he's good at, and let the others push forwards:

Kane
Foden
Saka - Jude - Mainoo - Trent/Palmer
Rice
Guehi - Stones - Walker

Foden really is shite without his big bald daddy telling him what to do.

Been missing all week and southgate still fecking starts him, its laughable, it really is.

Gordon must be thinking what do i need to do to get minutes down the left.

maybe not crash his bike for TikTok likes?

International football. They don't play together often enough to gel together. Foden and Saka are incredibly good footballers when given service and space. But right now, Foden is drifting inside to the same spots that Kane and Bellingham drift, so there's no space. And on the other side, Saka isn't getting the ball soon enough to do his thing.

England basically has no manager. I bet any Caf póster would make a better job than Gareth “mediocrity” Southgate.

You see how Spain have all the ball Gareth? You see how they have all the ball, but 40 meters further up the pitch than England? That's where you're meant to play.

Clueless plonker.

On Jude Bellingham's sublime goal: "With 15 minutes to go you wonder if he is out on his feet. Him and Harry Kane produce those moments and that is why you don't makes changes when people are clamouring for more changes. We had enough attacking players on the pitch."

Jesus wept. Seem the message he’s taken is that he was right all along.

Seems to be a common theme with shit managers

Four games played and four poor performances. They only thing he has changed is the number 8 position. Foden on the left does not work! How many more times is he going to try this?

Surely, southgate will have to change big time for the next game. He can't be that stupid can he?
Is exactly what people said after Slovenia.

Is exactly what people said at half time.

Os exactly what people said when we took the lead.

He makes the Tory’s look progressive.

England v Spain would be a complete mismatch in this tournament.

Any decent YT videos knocking around from the many tactical experts around as to what gameplan England would even attempt if they were to meet in a prospective final. I'd be interested to watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.