England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me though, Saka has looked the most likely to make something happen among that front 3, and that's with the highly ineffective Walker (attack-wise) behind him. I don't know whether it's a Southgate thing, but Walker looks even worse than AWB in terms of supporting the attack.

Palmer did extremely well and that's probably a factor as to why Saka is the one being mentioned, but he came on against tired legs and at some point had the more adventurous TAA behind him. I'd personally keep Palmer as an impact player, especially considering the right hand side of this attack is not the perennially blunt part this tournament. The left side of attack is area that has underwhelmed the most. England's attack has been described during this campaign as lop-sided so not sure why the player on the side that at least threatens the opposition is the one under the microscope.

Why are Foden and Kane untouchable? Kane could be forgiven for pointing to his history in an England shirt, but Foden?? I genuinely don't get it. He's never impressed in an England shirt
Agree re Saka. I thought he's been one of the few that's looked like he may actually create something or do something a little unpredictable instead of passing backwards or sideways to the nearest teammate. He's not been great (nobody has) but I'm not really understanding the criticism he's been getting when compared to the rest of the team.

Massive failure not to make the final now with how the draw has opened up.
On paper, yes. Unfortunately as a team we’re less than the sum of our parts. Conversely some of the other teams are greater than the sum of their parts

On paper, yes. Unfortunately as a team we’re less than the sum of our parts. Conversely some of the other teams are greater than the sum of their parts

I agree but it will be a massive failure on behalf of Southgate if he doesn't get the amount of quality on show to perform against Slovakia, Switzerland and then the semi-final options.

Bold words after seeing Switserland toy with Italy yesterday.

Switzerland are a good side but England dwarf them quality wise on an individual basis.

I agree but it will be a massive failure on behalf of Southgate if he doesn't get the amount of quality on show to perform against Slovakia, Switzerland and then the semi-final options.
I completely agree. I just won’t be surprised if it doesn’t happen. I reckon the lesser teams will be looking at England and thinking they’re prime targets for a scalping

Massive failure not to make the final now with how the draw has opened up.
Its not a failure. Southgate took an unbalance team to the tournament. Its a team thats good defensively with a disjointed attack bc the midfield is so defensive. Theres a lack of pace up front so theres really no threat for the opposing defense that they will get balls in behind....

hopefully they are good at penalties

Its not a failure. Southgate took an unbalance team to the tournament. Its a team thats good defensively with a disjointed attack bc the midfield is so defensive. Theres a lack of pace up front so theres really no threat for the opposing defense that they will get balls in behind....

The overall squad is fine, team selection is the problem along with tactics. We do also have pace, I don't know what you're talking about with that one. Walker, Saka, Gordon, Palmer etc. We have no excuse not to make the final.

Switzerland are a good side but England dwarf them quality wise on an individual basis.
Collective >> nervous “name” individuals

Plus Switzerland’s midfield is slick and cohesive. England play as they have been and that’s a potential humiliation, just like Italy received.

Last time I checked football was a team sport ;)

Indeed, but that's down to Southgate for not making it work.

Of course it's a failure. Southgate has the quality at his disposal with attacking options that have scored bundles this season. Not getting a tune out of them is on him and would be a failure.

Collective >> nervous “name” individuals

Plus Switzerland’s midfield is slick and cohesive. England play as they have been and that’s a potential humiliation, just like Italy received.

I agree but it's on Southgate. The quality and potential for a cohesive team is there. They should not expect anything less than the final. The experience of getting to those positions in tournaments is there and the quality in the squad is there. Anything else is a failure of management.

I've just listened to the most recent 'stick to football' podcast where Wrighty basically says that he and fellow pros don't criticise the England team as it's bad for their morale and goes as far as saying you shouldn't make a change to the starting line up as it implies that player is the reason for bad performances. Fortunately Keano puts him straight but this complete lack of any reasonable criticism from almost all pundits towards the England team and manager is pathetic and frankly they shouldn't be pundits at tournaments if all they are doing is saying nice things. I never thought I'd say it but seeing Linekar and Shearer give the team some stick has given me a new found respect for them.

Its likeky to be the same starting team with the exception if Mainoo starting instead of Gallagher.

There is nothing to suggest that Southgate will start with any forward players changes. The normally reliable team news leaks also suggest this.

The only difference we might see are earlier changes.

Slovakia will play in a low block and try and hit us on the break or through a set piece.

Let's see how we get on later with Mainoo in the team. We looked better and half of last game

Any chance we can actually put in a good performance tonight and make this quite a straight forward night?
I suspect we'll score reasonably early then shit ourselves and spend the next seventy minutes defending for our lives.

The overall squad is fine, team selection is the problem along with tactics. We do also have pace, I don't know what you're talking about with that one. Walker, Saka, Gordon, Palmer etc. We have no excuse not to make the final.

This.

The route to the final is ridiculously average. Denmark, Switzerland will provide a test, but look at the players we have to choose from.

Southgate is just making a mess of things. It's on him. He knows it.

This.

The route to the final is ridiculously average. Denmark, Switzerland will provide a test, but look at the players we have to choose from.

Southgate is just making a mess of things. It's on him. He knows it.
Agreed. And the frustrating thing is that him being a poor coach/manager was clear as day when he was appointed. Genuinely not sure how we got the England coach choice quite so wrong at the time.

I've just listened to the most recent 'stick to football' podcast where Wrighty basically says that he and fellow pros don't criticise the England team as it's bad for their morale and goes as far as saying you shouldn't make a change to the starting line up as it implies that player is the reason for bad performances.

But they do criticise the England team, Ian Wright may not but other ex pros absolutely do.

Lineker and Shearer were so critical recently that the players even commented on it.

But they do criticise the England team, Ian Wright may not but other ex pros absolutely do.

Lineker and Shearer were so critical recently that the players even commented on it.
That’s exactly that he said - you didn’t quote the part where he says:

I never thought I'd say it but seeing Linekar and Shearer give the team some stick has given me a new found respect for them.

England definitely have more depth in quality , but in terms of starting 11 , Switzerland seem to have a very strong high performing spine ( embolo the exception , but still a threat , he should've bagged 2 v Italy ) sommer , akanji , xaka is providing a solid base that can control aswell against most good opposition , Germany , Italy .

I don't think England have shown that yet

Hearing saying he doesn’t want to lose continuity by making drastic changes implies we have been doing things well and looking fluid and cohesive.

What he is unable to see is that he absolutely needs to break the malaise with which we are playing.

For Southgate it will be about us looking solid defensively so far and he's not going to disrupt that for a knockout game.

If we're still struggling I can see Palmer and Mainoo coming on. If Slovakia are being tough to break down Palmer would be brilliant.

For Southgate it will be about us looking solid defensively so far and he's not going to disrupt that for a knockout game.

If we're still struggling I can see Palmer and Mainoo coming on. If Slovakia are being tough to break down Palmer would be brilliant.
Mainoo coming on? He'll start (instead of Gallagher) without a doubt. Even Southgate isn't that dumb

Kobbie for Connor is the only change I think he’ll make. Changing our starting shape up front is too radical for him.

I can already see him praising the players in the changing room at HT for keeping us in it at 0-0.

Bold words after seeing Switserland toy with Italy yesterday.
It was a massive failure for Italy. It would be a massive failure for England

Switzerland is a good team, but no more than that. England should 100% make the final from here, anything less would be a huge failure

It was a massive failure for Italy. It would be a massive failure for England

Switzerland is a good team, but no more than that. England should 100% make the final from here, anything less would be a huge failure
For England sure, but you have not been very good since winning the euro's right?

Which means Foden is out of position again. Happy for Mainoo, but the Cyberpunk NPC doesn't work out on the left.
He isn't really out of position though. Foden has played on the left a lot more than he has played as a 10 for City, even last season. When he was tried as a 10 for England, he struggled just as much as he does on the wing. The system just doesn't suit his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.