England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
-Saka/Gordon--------------------------Kane----------------------------Palmer
---------------------------Bellingham
---------------------------------------------------------Mainoo
-------------------------------------Rice
Walker-------------------------------------------------------------------------Trent
-----------------------------------Stones-----------------Guehi
----------------------------------------------Pickford

???

Does he have the balls to do this, if Shaw's not back?
He might get close to it, but the issue isn’t the players per se (the England squad is pretty strong), it’s the pace and mentality of them. Whether it’s by managerial instruction or players choice, they’re too cautious and Southgate has to tell them to speed things up and have an slightly more attacking intent… get the best out of players like Bellingham, Foden, Kane, Palmer

I should be shocked but I wasn't because it's just what I expect with Southgate.

He doesn't trust creativity. He was pining for Kalvin fecking Phillips the other day, this is just who he is. He's always been overly defensive and cautious but it's now tipped over into him just being straight up cowardly.

Yeah that Philips comment was worthy of being sacked on the spot if I'm honest.

But it's strange how cautious he naturally is, yet seems to want to have England attack like a pseudo Pep/Arteta side with a bunch of half space players and quick interchanging. The two things don't mesh, either you look to do that and overload teams with the classic Pep positional play with extreme width and the forward players finding pockets, or you play the defensive/cautious role and look to drill teams on the counter. But if you're going to counter/transition teams to death, you need a bunch of wingers that can run in behind and midfielders that can distribute the ball to them.

Reminds me of how I thought ETH was caught in two minds with his plan vs. personnel and execution, but this is on an entirely different level of terrible.

While I generally agree, I hope everyone can realise that it was a less stupid thing to do than start TAA in midfield. Either way it's stupid though yeah.

It took him 2 and a half games into the group stage to work out he should probably play a talented central midfielder in central midfield basically.

The TAA experiment was stupid and he compounded his stupidity by making another error in having Gallagher as the replacement. Hopefully Mainoo starts the next game but with southgate feck knows what he'll do.

Walker-------------------------------------------------------------------------Trent

???

I don't think so. I think the best you'll get is Mainoo starting and Palmer as the first off the bench.

I'd ditch Kane as well, he's been fecking abysmal and offers nothing with the current composition of the team if he's not being fed balls inside the box

Another painful watch. I was thinking they’ll be out against the first decent team they face. However, a decent team will definitely be attacking more and may leave a bit more space at the back which England may be able to exploit as they clearly can’t break down a defensive team. Maybe I’m clutching at straws.

Mainoo about him and Palmer getting on:

"we are here, we are ready, we have to go at it".

So much better than "oh no, Lineker has hurt my feelings!"
Yeh I like Kane but his response to reasonable criticism was pathetic. Alarming that he's the captain and that's where his head is at. fecking rise to it you soft bollix.

I would legit drop Kane for Watkins and not think twice about it.

It took him 2 and a half games into the group stage to work out he should probably play a talented central midfielder in central midfield basically.

The TAA experiment was stupid and he compounded his stupidity by making another error in having Gallagher as the replacement. Hopefully Mainoo starts the next game but with southgate feck knows what he'll do.
I'm trying to suppress the thought in my head that he took Gallagher off at half time to protect him from another yellow. Feck he did didn't he? At least he'll be gone soon.

He might get close to it, but the issue isn’t the players per se (the England squad is pretty strong), it’s the pace and mentality of them. Whether it’s by managerial instruction or players choice, they’re too cautious and Southgate has to tell them to speed things up and have an slightly more attacking intent… get the best out of players like Bellingham, Foden, Kane, Palmer
Can't keep shoe-horning Foden into the side. It's either he or Bellingham, and what a sub it would be for the team to have them tagging in for one another.

You basically want players out there who are bold enough to bypass Southgate and take the initiative, like what Gordon did with the magnificent, line-splitting pass that Mainoo knocked on to Kane etc. Or how Palmer plays without fear or hesitation.

Yeh I like Kane but his response to reasonable criticism was pathetic. Alarming that he's the captain and that's where his head is at. fecking rise to it you soft bollix.

To be fair, I get the vibe that he just wants to protect some of the younger lads in the team as the senior figure in the squad and their captain. I don’t think Kane personally cares what Lineker or Shearer think about his own performances.

I would legit drop Kane for Watkins and not think twice about it.

Kane is great, but the issue tonight was him, Bellingham and Foden were all in each others way in the inside left area dropping deep. Weirdos.

It’s not been easy to watch but the highlights:
1. Top of group
2. Players haven’t been pushed too hard
3. Players and coaches are getting an understanding of what works

The last 5 minutes showed England playing with directness, there’s some promise.
Palmer and Foden looked good, Saka will likely have a better game against the bigger teams when space is available.
I think Trent has mistakes in him, but feel he can impact a game with one pass or set piece.

I don't think so. I think the best you'll get is Mainoo starting and Palmer as the first off the bench.

I'd ditch Kane as well, he's been fecking abysmal and offers nothing with the current composition of the team if he's not being fed balls inside the box
I'd ditch him too, but there's no way on this earth that's happening. Southgate is too terrified of the backlash, should England go out whilst he took that educated risk.

Kane is great, but the issue tonight was him, Bellingham and Foden were all in each others way in the inside left area dropping deep. Weirdos.

He is but I feel Watkins gives this team a new and fresh dynamic Kane simply cannot offer anymore.

I’d ditch Bellingham as well. He’s been horrendous apart from the first 30 mins v Serbia.

Front 4 of Gordon, Palmer, Saka, Kane with Rice and Mainoo behind.

Kane is a big issue for England.

If the ball lands directly at his feet in the box then he's still a fantastic finisher.

His all round game has really deteriorated though, he looks so immobile.

If the ball lands directly at his feet in the box then he's still a fantastic finisher.

His issue is someone needs to tell him not to drop deep and stay in the box. Trust his teammates to bring the ball up. There is no runners for him to play through. No Son and no Sane in this team.

???

Might be time to drop Bellingham (not that Stupidgate will actually do that). I just think Foden is more on the same wavelength as the other players and Bellingham is of a more individualistic mindset.

I also have to say I think Trippier's been ok, it's just the lack of width in front of him that's the issue.

Even Kane I'd be tempted to drop. We need to up the energy levels here. Gordon, Foden, Palmer, Mainoo, Rice as the 5 behind the striker could work I think.

By the way England's games against Slovenia and Serbia have both produced lower xG than ALL 380 premier league games last season.

That's Southgate for ya

Agreed. The man is just so slow.

Looked the same in the groups last time though then just came alive

I'd ditch him too, but there's no way on this earth that's happening. Southgate is too terrified of the backlash, should England go out whilst he took that educated risk.

Which is funny, because I think at this point barring winning the Euros he's gone either way ( and I pray to god it's not us that's his next job). You'd think a manager leaving anyways wouldn't have anything to lose

Our side of the draw! :lol:

Imagine if we had replaced him with a competent manager after the World Cup (though it really should've been after the last Euros). We'd be in the final without breaking a sweat.

Kane is a problem for England right now, especially as he's surrounded by creators used to playing with strikers who run in behind. It often takes him time to get going in tournaments but England are suffering without a goal-outlet attacker/winger behind him.

Hard to see how England improve tbh with the amount of inexperience in the squad. Almost impossible to shoehorn TAA in, Palmer instead of Foden and drop Bellingham further back? Rush Shaw back? No-way is this side getting beyond the quarters.

Dreary again but looked slightly better with Mainoo and Palmer. 2 goals in 3 games against mediocre opposition- penalty shootout exit here we come.

It’s not been easy to watch but the highlights:
1. Top of group
2. Players haven’t been pushed too hard
3. Players and coaches are getting an understanding of what works

The last 5 minutes showed England playing with directness, there’s some promise.
Palmer and Foden looked good, Saka will likely have a better game against the bigger teams when space is available.
I think Trent has mistakes in him, but feel he can impact a game with one pass or set piece.

Ok Gareth, that's enough on your phone.

Pj's on, your horlicks is on the bedside table, now into bed with you child. And remember to not be scared of what those meanies are saying, they aren't as special as you!

Our side of the draw! :lol:

Imagine if we had replaced him with a competent manager after the World Cup (though it really should've been after the last Euros). We'd be in the final without breaking a sweat.
You'd be playing Germany in R16 and going out

I predicted 1-1, so I wasn't expecting much. I just want this tournament over and the manager gone, so we can build for the world cup properly. Been sick of this gutless football for years.

Southgate needs to show some actual balls and courage for once and make changes, he's not got many chances left. If we see that same lineup he started with today, although I won't be shocked, I'll be beyond annoyed.

You'd be playing Germany in R16 and going out
I don't think there's much in the squads, so, assuming the manager was competent, I'd be confident against anyone; Germany included!

We'd still be in this side of the draw, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.